Apple engineer warned Steve Jobs about iPhone 4 reception last year

Comments

• Reply 61 of 137
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stst0001 View Post

Sorry to burst your bubble. But it is a fact.

I call bullshit. That's twice you've said that with no attributed source. Stop dicking around and give a reliable source or crawl back under your rock.
  • Reply 62 of 137
    ski1ski1 Posts: 251member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

I see you're still confused. I didn't put any particular faith in that survey. I simply pointed out that it's the only data available. That doesn't make it right - but even if it's only got a 1% chance of being right, that's still better than anything you've provided.

So where is the data claiming that there are massive returns on the iPhone?

I see you are missing my point. So how it that different then the Apple engineer story. As you would say, do you have proof that states otherwise ? And so what if your so called survey is the only data available. Just because it's the only data available doesn't even make it 1% change of being right. So why present it when the source and methodology is complete flawed and questionable.
  • Reply 63 of 137
    patranuspatranus Posts: 366member
    One thing that is for certain....

Someone is going to get fired/sued.
  • Reply 64 of 137
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:

So no camera on iPad, yet clearly there appears to be a "mount" for it from tear down photos.

There is no camera because they could not get it to function properly - at all.

Fired the engineer in charge of camera.

Brought in new Engineer who within 1 week said the problem was with the Industrial Design:

- the mounting needed to change

- the material coating was causing reflections in to camera and needed to change as well

Apparently that was not well received and he was almost fired as well.

But apparently they came to their senses and realized he was right.

Please stop pulling shit out of your ass.
  • Reply 65 of 137
    sacto joesacto joe Posts: 895member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

maybe you should try suing them.

Cute.
  • Reply 66 of 137
    bulk001bulk001 Posts: 779member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

Millions of other users cannot reproduce the problem, including me.

I have a number of phones on order and am just curious - when did you get your phone (on launch day or some time after that?). There has been some speculation that Apple may already have changed the materials used for the antenna so by the time my phones arrive, this may already be a non issue.
  • Reply 67 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eacumm View Post

You must be a Verizon person, Well then like my son you must say Fu**ing Verizon a lot, because Verizon Stinks compared to AT&T.

Oh really? I don't see other hardware manufacturers putting antenna on the outside of Verizon phones. The iPhone 4's antenna was designed to compensate for AT&T's weak network. It's also why they did away with the stainless steel backing on the original iPhone.

AT&T and Apple's exclusive deal brought us to this. ATT is a cancer on Apple's good name and they need to break that contract and sign with Verizon. Hopefully tomorrow at 10 am Pacific Time.
  • Reply 68 of 137
    mark-mmark-m Posts: 3member
    Did anyone notice that Ruben Caballero, "a senior engineer and antenna expert with Apple", is actually the Sr. Director iPhone/iPod at Apple?

http://www.linkedin.com/pub/dir/Ruben/Caballero/

One would think it would change the entire tone of the original article. Are we to believe the the Sr. Director of the iPhone was warning about the issue and would just talk about this carelessly with an unknown source?

Doesn't make sense to me. By the Bloomberg author leaving out this bit of information, it makes it sound like some regular engineer was not heard or ignored.

Shame on Apple Insider for not doing a simple Google search on the name Ruben Caballero to find out who he is.
  • Reply 69 of 137
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,609member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gary54 View Post

they had the whole circumference of the case to make the antenna splits. Why the one spot most likely to short between the two by just holding it? Why not the top middle or bottom middle or some other spot? Pick up any phone and cradle it in your hand. Whats the pone spot that makes the most contact? Right where they put it. Its mind boggling to have made such a blunder.

Blunders happen.

Gap is where it is to minimize radiation from UMTS signal to the head.
  • Reply 70 of 137
    g3prog3pro Posts: 669member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Foo2 View Post

Apple's prior-to-release knowledge of the issue is consistent with producing for the first time its own iPhone case (bumpers) and omitting Field Test Mode from iOS 4.

Quoted for truth.

It's why Steve is also refusing to give away free bumpers up to this point. The profit margin on those things is over 90%.
  • Reply 71 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

Please stop pulling shit out of your ass.

Whatever...you want me to produce some internal documents? Audio/Video? Or what?

Look the camera is not there and clearly there is a "mount".

So there was a either a problem or they figured hey we can get a bunch of people to upgrade later by just adding a camera. That logic should not be to hard for you Einstein's to follow.

From my observation of the matter - it was soo bad that it was impossible to ship and too late to retool the packaging. On iPhone antenna it was a bit more gray and they too the chance.

As to did an Engineer raise it as an issue? Was an Engineer fired? Was new Engineer blasted and almost fired? Well short of an audio/video tape - what do you want. I think other will come forth and substantiate.

Obviously those you have replied have never worked in such an environment and therefore find it impossible to believe. Whereas other "engineer" will immediately relate.
  • Reply 72 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mark-m View Post

Did anyone notice that Ruben Caballero, "a senior engineer and antenna expert with Apple", is actually the Sr. Director iPhone/iPod at Apple?

http://www.linkedin.com/pub/dir/Ruben/Caballero/

One would think it would change the entire tone of the original article. Are we to believe the the Sr. Director of the iPhone was warning about the issue and would just talk about this carelessly with an unknown source?

Doesn't make sense to me. By the Bloomberg author leaving out this bit of information, it makes it sound like some regular engineer was not heard or ignored.

Shame on Apple Insider for not doing a simple Google search on the name Ruben Caballero to find out who he is.

You're assuming that Senior Director is a top level dog. At the two organizations I've worked there are multiple Senior Directors in an organization branch and they are very far from top dog. He is not necessarily THE Senior Director, nor that position as high level as you suggest. You're making assumptions.
  • Reply 73 of 137
    yensid98yensid98 Posts: 311member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Masteric View Post

I love Apple and their products (and have a number of them, but no iPhone because I hate AT&T service), but I think Steve's ego is getting a bit large and his attitude towards us little people is getting out of hand. Backup away from the God complex Steve.

This here is what I really think this is really about. People have decided that Apple has had enough success and it's time to remind them that they're just a technology company made up up of fallible humans.

Yes, a mistake was made (Apple has made them before), but for 90% of iPhone owners this is a non-issue.

I knew Apple was eventually going to be pushed off it's pedestal. Looks like this is that time. Apple is no better or worse a company than they were before the iPad release. This is more a reaction to Apple's amazing success over the past 10 years than the actual reception issue.
  • Reply 74 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by StLBluesFan View Post

You're assuming that Senior Director is a top level dog. At the two organizations I've worked there are multiple Senior Directors in an organization branch and they are very far from top dog. He is not necessarily THE Senior Director, nor that position as high level as you suggest. You're making assumptions.

The article left it out. Regardless of my thoughts on it, the fact remains.
  • Reply 75 of 137
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:

Whatever...you want me to produce some internal documents? Audio/Video? Or what?

Look the camera is not there and clearly there is a "mount".

So there was a either a problem or they figured hey we can get a bunch of people to upgrade later by just adding a camera. That logic should not be to hard for you Einstein's to follow.

From my observation of the matter - it was soo bad that it was impossible to ship and too late to retool the packaging. On iPhone antenna it was a bit more gray and they too the chance.

As to did an Engineer raise it as an issue? Was an Engineer fired? Was new Engineer blasted and almost fired? Well short of an audio/video tape - what do you want. I think other will come forth and substantiate.

Obviously those you have replied have never worked in such an environment and therefore find it impossible to believe. Whereas other "engineer" will immediately relate.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I'd like you to back up some of the non-obvious assertions you made. Here are a few you could try to defend:

1) There is no camera because they could not get it to function properly - at all.

-As opposed to being just a placeholder for they could get the feature out with iPhone 4 first

2)Brought in new Engineer who within 1 week said the problem was with the Industrial Design:

- the mounting needed to change

- the material coating was causing reflections in to camera and needed to change as well

-really, he knew it in one week? Not 3 weeks? Not 4 months?

3) Apparently that was not well received and he was almost fired as well.

-Was he almost fired? You sure he wasn't almost given a raise?

Quote:

Obviously those you have replied have never worked in such an environment and therefore find it impossible to believe. Whereas other "engineer" will immediately relate.

That's funny. I am a developer at a company that does software and hardware. Lots of engineers running around here. My office building is surrounded on all sides by the RIM campus. Many friends and associates working at RIM, Google, Sandvine, Agfa. Some are engineers. My son's godfather is a mechanical engineer. I am familiar with 'such an environment'. So, again, stop pulling shit out of your ass.

I am not disputing that your claims might be true. But, simply spewing them out with nothing to substantiate them makes them as useful and worthwhile as someone here making claims about their date with your mom. Back it up, or it is just worthless shit.
  • Reply 76 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

Yes, and someone with 166 posts, you are eminently qualified to judge who the apologists are here. Noob.

Wow. Mental math...11,000 posts....9 years....what is that, 3 or 4 posts per day?! I guess if anyone is a judge on a loss of objectivity...

But what do I know, I only have 113 posts.
  • Reply 77 of 137
    sendmesendme Posts: 567member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 8CoreWhore View Post

I'd like to see VZW buckle under that.

That would inconvenience millions of people, including your friends and neighbors.
  • Reply 78 of 137
    takeotakeo Posts: 447member
    The reason this only happens when you touch close to the gap is probably because your hand is not conductive enough to cause the bridging otherwise. The "bridge" has to be a very short distance. Simple solution would just be to take the tiny gap and make it a big gap. But then you'd end up with another seam. Can't have that!
  • Reply 79 of 137
    salmonstksalmonstk Posts: 568member
    I think this is good news. If Apple still used this design I would suggest that it implies they researched this issue and they found out it turned out to not be a serious problem. So what we are observing is just a bit of hysteria rather than a serious oops it does what design flaw.
  • Reply 80 of 137
    Ruben Caballero also has a patent for "iPhone's Isolated Antennas".

http://www.patentlyapple.com/patentl...t-display.html

I'm assuming he had a hand in the design, being the Sr. Director Engineering for iPhone. That assumption could be wrong. However, I find it hard to believe some engineer of this level is running around talking about product issues to people who'd be reporting it over to Bloomberg.