RIM, Nokia respond to Apple's "Antennagate" press conference

Comments

• Reply 181 of 547
    djsherlydjsherly Posts: 1,031member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

It's not clear that the death grip and/or number of bars is directly (or the only thing) related to call drops.

People have reported being able to make calls without dropping with 0 bars on the iP4) while they could not even make the call on the 3GS,

I'm not picking on your post personally, but isn't it interesting that the language of the issue has changed since it first surfaced?

The beginnings were steve saying not to hold it that way. Then a press release characterises it as a 'grip'.

To me, the choice of language has been made to try and make a clear distinction between what is normal and whw is not as far as holding a phone is concerned.

Its also a little disingenuous in this case, but to grip implies a firm hold on an item. It would appear to me that the real complaint is exactly as first posited in the first jobs email exchange. That is, the phone has an Achilles heel which does need to be gripped, merely touched.

Apple are trying to paint this a behavior on the part of the user which is unnatural, or in the very least abnormal.

You might think it's splitting hairs but I think the word grip was deliberately chosen.

At any rate, apples response on Friday was about as good as it was going to get.

The first
  • Reply 182 of 547
    bilbo63bilbo63 Posts: 285member
    The problem here is the media storm over this issue. Does the phone have a design flaw? It looks like it. BUT it only appears to affect a small portion of users. That doesn't make it okay. That doesn't make it acceptable, but for crying out loud it's not the end of the world! Especially when other phones exhibit that same behaviour, yet no one goes loopy over that.

Apple's competitors see this as an opportunity to get some bad press for Apple. But don't dare expose the same flaws in their phone! That's not allowed! What a flipping joke!

Apple pride themselves on having high standards and executing well. At no time have I ever heard Steve or Apple claim that they are perfect. They're not perfect. They will screw up from time to time.

There is no proof that they chose aesthetics over performance. Since this problem is not affecting all phones, it's not unreasonable to consider that it may simply be a manufacturing flaw? Perhaps they thought that they had a way to make this work well, but there are some problems that they didn't foresee.

All Apple did was put the signal strength situation in perspective by demonstrating that many other phones suffer from the same thing. They admitted that they are not perfect. They admitted as hard as they try, the iPhone 4 isn't perfect nor were the previous flavours of iPhone. They offered a free bumper or case for anyone who is having difficulty while they determine the best way to deal with this situation and fix it right. If you're still not happy, they'll give you a full refund. What is not to like about that?

Also, I'd like to remind people that there is always a certain amount of risk buying the first version of anything, whether it's a car, a computer or phone. If you have to be the first one on the block with a new toy, you run the risk of it not being perfect and you usually pay top dollar. That's just the way it is.

I think that Apple's response is totally reasonable. Mind you some of Steve's off-the-cuff comments early on were probably not the best... But that's Steve ? You take the good with the bad.

RIM, Nokia, HTC's phones are good, but far from perfect, yet no one is jumping up and down screaming about their shortcomings. No Apple's competitors are pissed that Apple has done so well in the smartphone arena so they become the target. I'm certainly not going over to a pro-RIM site and start talking trash about RIM. They make decent stuff and we can all buy whatever phone we want we don't all have to use the same phone!

I have friends and family that have been through two to four RIM phones in the two years that I've had the same iPhone 3G, and I don't go around criticizing there choice of phone. What's the point?

At the end of the day, RIM, NOKIA and the rest feel threatened by Apple's success and I don't even understand that, there is plenty of market share for everyone to do well.
  • Reply 183 of 547
    Master Stroke from Master

A grand scheme once revealed will never die.

The death grip videos on other cell phones are spreading like wild fire across the web. Talk about dumping on the dumpers. Consumer Reports may well be bankrupted by the testing costs required to be fair to all. There sure are a bunch of death gripped other brands that need testing. Rim Nokia and Consumer Reports absolutely skewered. I love it. I love it. I love it.
  • Reply 184 of 547
    An earlier comment referred to widespread testing of other phones. Please notice that a disproportion of even the newer designs still place the antenna next to the users brain. This is in utter disregard to the health of their customers. Shame shame.
  • Reply 185 of 547
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SDIOWarrior View Post

The death grip videos on other cell phones are spreading like wild fire across the web. Talk about dumping on the dumpers. Consumer Reports may well be bankrupted by the testing costs required to be fair to all. There sure are a bunch of death gripped other brands that need testing. Rim Nokia and Consumer Reports absolutely skewered. I love it. I love it. I love it.

I really hope consumer reports are forced to test all the other phones to the same degree - going as far as getting several phones to reproduce the effect ( Which is what they did with the iPhone).

As a consumer reporter people expect consistency and an equally detailed and rigorous investigation into each product of a class.
  • Reply 186 of 547
    foo2foo2 Posts: 1,077member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SDIOWarrior View Post

The death grip videos on other cell phones are spreading like wild fire across the web.

Most other phones, including previous iPhone models, do need a death grip to seriously attenuate signal. In contrast, the iPhone 4 needs but a loving touch on its g-spot. If the situation wasn't so bad, Apple would have retained Field Test Mode in iOS 4.
  • Reply 187 of 547
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kibitzer View Post

NEWSFLASH - Del Monte Foods, maker of Contadina brand tomato products, acknowledged today that reception of its backyard tomato can telephones has been adversely affected for decades by the use of the wrong kind of string that connects them.

"It appears that millions of innocent children have had difficulty hearing each other because the science of sound transmission between two cans over a taut length of string has not been sufficiently investigated," said a source who asked to remain anonymous because he is not authorized to speak for the company.

A study of the audio transmission issue reveals that the problem may not be confined to Contadina. but afflicts the entire global canned tomato industry, the source went on. "Other variables have a much greater effect on sound quality, including the common use of softly woven cotton kitchen string and the lack of tension in the string as a consequence of how the users hold their cans and stretch the string."

News media and Internet rumor sites are expected to be flooded in the next few days with raging disagreements about whether tomato producers, and Contadina in particular, have knowingly concealed the problem. In response to media inquiries, a Contadina competitor - ConAgra-owned Hunt's - angrily disputed "Contadina's unacceptable attempt to draw Hunt's into their self-made debacle."

Reports are circulating that, for a limited period, Contadina will be willing to provide children with free 50# monofilament fishing line as a substitute for string or twine. Contadina officials thus far have declined to respond to the reports.

Ha!

Sen Chuck U. Schumer, D NY has written a letter to all manufacturers of canned tomato products asking them to publish their detailed methodology and procedures for determining the placement of the string within the can. Schumer says that where the Public is concerned there is no place for corporate secrecy, IP rights, etc. Only though complete disclosure can the Public be assured that everything has been done on their behalf to minimize TomatoPhone interference while the users blindly stumble through...

Sen John Heinz-Kerry, D MA said that some manufacturers have already analyzed the situation and are packaging their goods in cans connected by a 20 foot stainless steel tube. While this solution requires special distribution and store-shelf rework, it will benefit those who live in fringe areas and never could get a TomatoPhone to work! Manufacturers and retail stores will be assessed a special 15% Tomatophoney ImplementationTax (plus a 19% Federal Excise Tax) for the next 10 years to implement the required changes. There will be no additional costs to the consumer! The new configuration allows, not only exchange of information, but exchange of refreshment between callers. Kerry says that one company (to remain unnamed) has filed for a trademark on the phrase MouthTime to describe the refreshment exchange. The refreshment exchange app will be implemented using the new eOS (Expectoration Operation System) to facilitate the bidirectional exchange of refreshments concurrent with high-quality voice transmission, including belch filters..

Meanwhile the FCC is conducting tests on the suitability of the device and any exposure to infection from tainted refreshments,

Consumer Reports has posted a preliminary evaluation saying that it is the best device of its kind on the market.

CR has said their tests will continue and, next week they hope to evaluate its use during a thunderstorm...

In a related story, the Government of Peru announced that they are the inventor of the original Tomato (tomate), Potato (papa) and Corn (masa). They have multiple patents that protect their IP. They are considering lawsuits against....

In Washington, DC, crowds gathered outside the Capitol building, waving Peruvian flags, chanting and hoisting signs saying: ¡PROTEJA NUESTRA SUCCOTASH! the ubiquitous: ¿QUE PASA? and a few stragglers with signs: ¡VAMANOS A DETROIT!

• Reply 188 of 547
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Foo2 View Post

Most other phones, including previous iPhone models, do need a death grip to seriously attenuate signal. In contrast, the iPhone 4 needs but a loving touch on its g-spot. If the situation wasn't so bad, Apple would have retained Field Test Mode in iOS 4.

So you're saying most phones are insensitive wenches and the iPhone is a sensitive beauty?

Don't touch her there unless you want her to go off

The other phones don't attenuate and de-tune as much because they're covered in layers and layers of plastic. You can do the same with your iPhone ie put it in a cover.

If you're an iP4 owner, you need to ask yourself why do you own the iPhone?

To make calls and use the Apps or because it's beautiful? So beautiful you need to see it naked all the time ?

The iPhone is a delicate beauty that still charms and does everything she promised even when dressing in a "haute couture" cover.

Long term I expect our sexy iPhone 4 to wear a thin see through figure hugging coating, that some would say looks like it was sprayed on
  • Reply 189 of 547
    Quote:

Wow! The 5800 had 7 bars...

Maybe what's needed is a standardized rating system-- I suggest a star rating like Guide Michelin.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michelin_Guide

• Reply 190 of 547
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dillio View Post

>>This is a rant<<

I am an Apple and Steve Jobs fan, but disappointed at how this "Antennagate" was handled.

First, Steve was a conceited in his tone, and it just goes along with the hubris from Apple lately.

Second, their trying to dilute the antenna problem by saying it affects the rest of the industry is a far cry from their philosophy when they launched the iPhone. Instead of saying that all other phones suffer from it, they should have offered an "Apple" approach. Remember how the IPhone is so much better than the other phones, in so many aspects. Well, why play that card now that all the other phones suck, and so why can't ours. They shouldn't even mention that. If people didn't notice that the other phones suffer from the same thing don't even mention it. Just make yours even better than the rest. All of a sudden we're comparing the iPhone to the rest when up until now it was always a step above. This is no excuse. This should have been discovered and addressed in testing. Even if it wasn't a problem, someone should have anticipated and been prepared for this media blowing it out of proportion, and have an answer at the ready.

It goes to show that nobody is perfect, not even when it comes to their bread-and-butter product (like Microsoft with Vista, and this, Apple and the iPhone).

Sure, they're not perfect, but they have an attitude like they are. They made everyone expect much better from them than everybody else. Then live up to that.

Uh, what? What do you mean "they have an attitude like they are [perfect]"??? Did you even bother to watch the video of Apple's press briefing? Steve Jobs at the beginning comes out and says "we're not perfect." Jobs is saying, if all cell phones can be handled in a way that kills their signal, why is the media singling iPhone out?

You read "conceit" and "hubris" in Apple's response to "Antennagate"? You must be projecting your own distrust. I watched the video of their press briefing and I only saw facts and figures, hard data to back up Apple's read on the situation, which is that signal issues are only affecting a small minority of customers, and that the issue is being blown out of proportion by the media and bloggers.

And what do you mean by "they should have offered an 'Apple' approach" instead of saying all phones suffer from it? What "Apple approach" would make you happy? Bend the laws of physics?
  • Reply 191 of 547
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

The whole thing is way overblown, to the point that it seems like there is an entity behind it. Apple is doing remarkably well in all aspects right now. This year alone, they released two blockbuster products and moved their Mac market share up to 10%, which must have more than a few people worried and or jealous.

I have an idea is the "G" company too....
  • Reply 192 of 547
    sendmesendme Posts: 567member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tripo View Post

Hell yeah !

That is so funny!

Nokia needs to follow your advice.
  • Reply 193 of 547
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Foo2 View Post

If the situation wasn't so bad, Apple would have retained Field Test Mode in iOS 4.

Do you know that for a fact? If so, please provide a citation, a link. If not, it is just an opinion or assertion-- please qualify it as such.

There could be several other reasons not to include the Field Test-- I'll give you one:

The iP4 has an additional cell radio band and completely different radio chips than any other iPhone.

It is possible, just possible that Apple was focused on other things* and did not give rewriting the Field Test a high priority,

* There is a reported glitch in that the iP4 drops 3G calls (in areas with a marginal 3G signal) instead of handing them off to Edge.

If you were Apple where would you put your cell radio rescues?

• Reply 194 of 547
    gxcadgxcad Posts: 120member
    Jobs does a FANTASTIC job in this press conference. Anyone who watches it has a high chance of rethinking the antenna/reception problem of the iPhone 4.

That said, Jobs' arguments feel a bit weak in places. I thought he says bars are not standardized, yet he uses bars as a way of showing every smart phone has the same problem? Granted, if he showed exactly the amount of attenuation, it would look bad for the iPhone 4 (aha!)

Assuming the data Anandtech posted is reasonably correct, the issue here is that the iPhone is MORE effected by how it is held compared to other smartphones.

Although, in the end, it all comes down to how well it can make calls compared to other phones in the exact same conditions. In this regard, I think the iPhone 4 is at least average performing (TOTAL GUESS), which is no reason to make a big deal out of it. As Anandtech states, the iPhone 4 has a better ability to do more with less - can hold signal during a call with less absolute reception. Surely this can make up for at least some of the higher attenuation it gets when held a certain way?
  • Reply 195 of 547
    sendmesendme Posts: 567member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Jobs is saying, if all cell phones can be handled in a way that kills their signal, why is the media singling iPhone out?

It has been a media feeding frenzy by irresponsible bloggers and so-called "journalisls" like the guys at the NYT who just make things up. The whole thing has been blown way out of proportion, judging from the nearly non-existent complaints Apple has been getting. Hardly anybody has returned them, even though they could get all their money back, and as a bonus, no restocking fee.

I've heard that cards and emails have been flooding in to Apple telling them how the iPhone is the greatest phone ever.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

And what do you mean by "they should have offered an 'Apple' approach" instead of saying all phones suffer from it? What "Apple approach" would make you happy? Bend the laws of physics?

These whiners think that every product that Apple comes out with has to be magical. Sorry, the iP4 is just a phone. It will not squirt pink unicorns using voice commands.

Bend the laws of physics. Not even Steve can do that.
  • Reply 196 of 547
    bagmanbagman Posts: 349member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Magic8Ball View Post

So you're saying most phones are insensitive wenches and the iPhone is a sensitive beauty?

Don't touch her there unless you want her to go off

The other phones don't attenuate and de-tune as much because they're covered in layers and layers of plastic. You can do the same with your iPhone ie put it in a cover.

If you're an iP4 owner, you need to ask yourself why do you own the iPhone?

To make calls and use the Apps or because it's beautiful? So beautiful you need to see it naked all the time ?

The iPhone is a delicate beauty that still charms and does everything she promised even when dressing in a "haute couture" cover.

Long term I expect our sexy iPhone 4 to wear a thin see through figure hugging coating, that some would say looks like it was sprayed on

Yes I like the sprayed on look. Looks like any reference to the infamous "G Spot" was missd by media types too young to remember the huge sensation this issue caused (feeding frenzy at the time). Much more controversy for years afterwards, much larger than "AntennaGate" is likely to garner.
  • Reply 197 of 547
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Jobs

We haven't found a way around the laws of physics yet.

But doesn't Apple like telling people that their products are "magical"?
  • Reply 198 of 547
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post

Also it's funny how nokia stated that they are "pioneers of internal antenna design". I was laughing pretty hard.

Why? None of the Nokia phones I have now, or have ever had have suffered from the exact problem Apple has. If you clamped them hard in your hand and covered the screen, yes, but that would make it a bit too hard to use, wouldn't it?
  • Reply 199 of 547
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    If you took Nokia's CEO, and every single engineer that has ever worked for that company, and combine them with RIM's CEO and every single engineer that has ever worked for RIM, they still couldn't carry Steve Job's flip-flops. The one's with the torn straps. That he threw out three years ago.

THAT is how clueless these two dinosaurs are.

Nokia and RIM should STFU and look into their own derivative, visionless organizations before they open their traps and complain about a company that isn't afraid to take risks and guides the entire industry.
  • Reply 200 of 547
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SendMe View Post

Every phone has exactly the same problem as the iPhone, but nobody except Apple is honest enough to admit it.

Apple hasn't admitted anything, that is the point of the thread.