RIM, Nokia respond to Apple's "Antennagate" press conference

Comments

• Reply 221 of 547
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Despite being on what some consider to be the worst network in the US and this overblown antenna debacle, the iPhone 4 is STILL the best smartphone bar none(pun intended).

No other phone or product for that matter could survive this media blitz and still be sold out all over the country. Of course the logic around here is that fanboys will buy anything that Apple produces, but when I counter with the pitiful sales of AppleTV and MacBook Air, they go silent.
  • Reply 222 of 547
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

Apple hasn't admitted anything, that is the point of the thread.

Did you just wake up?
  • Reply 223 of 547
    zaim2zaim2 Posts: 45member
    Of course there's going to be a drop in signal when you block the antenna. The difference is that RIM\\Nokia antennas are generally placed at the top/bottom of the phone, where it's less likely to be blocked.

I thought the original problem was that for some people touching the Steve spot on the 4 bridged the two antennas together, causing them to stop working altogether. So it's actually a twofold issue for the 4, blocking the antenna (which is for the most part neutralized by the stronger reception by being external) and some peoples chemistries shorting the antenna, whereas the majority of phones only have to deal with the former, which is minimized by smart placement.

RIM's statement is spot on, it really is down to Apple's design choices. Have to hand it to SJ though, I didn't think his reasoning would change public opinion so sharply, as it seemed rather weak to me. Though forfeiting the "magical" quality and saying they're on level with other phones have to face may have been too high a price.
  • Reply 224 of 547
    daveswdavesw Posts: 406member
    Quote:

No they don't. But they don't tell their users they are holding the device wrong when held naturally either.

I had a look at those pictures on the Apple site, the person is holding everyone of those phones differently. Apple made a massive mistake, and is now trying to blame everyone for their mistake.

1.77% return rate.

0.5% Apple care complaints.

This is a non-issue for 99% of all iPhone 4 owners.

The only people really affected by all these are Android trolls like you jealous of the iPhone 4.
  • Reply 225 of 547
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Can someone remind me what the return rate is for the iPhone 4? The ".55%" represented what???
  • Reply 226 of 547
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    Quote:

Apple. Steve Jobs claims this happens on all phones, if this is true, then how can they work for a solution? So which statement is Apple lieing about?

Just like you-- all of them, none of them or some of them!

• Reply 227 of 547
    daveswdavesw Posts: 406member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleSauce007 View Post

Nokia manual: See Page 11 for Warning about internal and *external* Nokia antennas.

http://www.nokiausa.com/files/suppor...es-LAM_1.0.pdf

Get with the program Nokia. You are so full of i!t

ROFL nice.
  • Reply 228 of 547
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kibitzer View Post

thanks for the update, dick. Video at 10! Meantime, keep a close watch on the t.i.t. Action ... So far on this thread, all we've had are posts from a lot of slow-swinging hosers.

lol!

• Reply 229 of 547
    coolcatcoolcat Posts: 156member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

Indeed it is not, and here is a good explanation of the difference:

http://www.antennasys.com/antennasys...?currentPage=2

By the way, having seen in the bottom of your post that you are waiting until October for a hardware fix, what sort of thing will you consider a "fix"?

I can't see how they can stop the attenuation effects of your hand being close to the antenna, unless they put it inside the phone, and I don't see them changing the appearance of the phone at the moment.

It'd be a super easy fix that wouldn't affect the appearance of the phone one bit. They could just apply some clear type of coating to the antennas that will keep our hands from touching them and causing all this BS....Can't believe they didn't do it in the first place when one of their OWN techs voiced concern...
  • Reply 231 of 547

Here it is Saturday after a feeding frenzy. There are only 220 some posts to this thread-- mostly antis and pros (like myself) just hanging on... playing!

The focus has changed-- iP4 Antennagate is no longer newsworthy.

We'll hear a few whimpers but the story is dead-- it has no legs!

The Moving Finger writes; and having writ, moves on...

• Reply 232 of 547
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by coolcat View Post

It'd be a super easy fix that wouldn't affect the appearance of the phone one bit. They could just apply some clear type of coating to the antennas that will keep our hands from touching them and causing all this BS....Can't believe they didn't do it in the first place when one of their OWN techs voiced concern...

I really hope a durable clear coating is the solution - otherwise we're going to go through this again as the Fandroids do their Ha Ha dance.
  • Reply 233 of 547
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blackintosh View Post

Cause if you don't have an iPhone 4 then you're never ever going to get laid!!

Hell, it's the only reason I bought one!
  • Reply 234 of 547
    trajectorytrajectory Posts: 647member
    One has to wonder just how much companies like Nokia or RIM helped fan the flames of this fury, and how much fuel they actually contributed to the fire.
  • Reply 235 of 547
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    Quote:

Well for starters, are you trying to compare a Nokia 1100 to a iPhone? The Nokia 1100 would have retailed around $100 if not less, the iPhone is over $600

Man you're a tool. So the problem is only valid if the phone is over $100? Go home.
  • Reply 236 of 547
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Magic8Ball View Post

I really hope a durable clear coating is the solution - otherwise we're going to go through this again as the Fandroids do their Ha Ha dance.

Choose some nice clear tape as thick as you can find. Cut a thin strip two inches long and you're done. When that peels off - repeat. Not ideal but minor. Better than a taped shut battery flap, are taped together plastic casing of which I don't know how many I have had. Or, for the phone clutchers amongst you - if you are in a weak signal area, change the grip slightly. You know, just a minor adjustment like you might change your grip slightly when holding a camera with tele zoom on it. To steady it at extreme zoom a slight adjustment is usually necessary.

Re the hand getting in the way for data transmission - who clutches the phone when downloading data, anyway?
  • Reply 237 of 547
    gregoriusmgregoriusm Posts: 513member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Malligator View Post

Damned if they do, damned if they don't. They can't win. If they hand the PR in the normal fashion with uncaring press releases they look like jerks. If they give out free cases they look like they are admitting that the problem is actually as big as the tech press has made it out to be.

Just be honest and admit that what Apple haters want is for Apple to say they are horrible people and that they are going to refund every cent to any one that has ever bought an Apple product before they close their doors for good, but not before Steve Jobs commits suicide in his secret underground bunker.

Agreed. If the problem is as big as it is STILL being made out to be, the majority of the THREE MILLION iPhones will be returned by this time next week.

I have a feeling it isn't going to happen.

And like any good jury case, we've got experts who say the whole issue is overblown and that the iPhone has no more design flaws than any other phone, and experts who say it is a serious design flaw and Apple knew it and should therefore refund the money of all complainants along with punitive damages.

Apple did well in the press conference, and as is usually the case (pun intended), didn't satisfy every single person on the planet.

I was worried. I am now going to buy an iPhone 4.
  • Reply 238 of 547
    gregoriusmgregoriusm Posts: 513member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stillman View Post

Don't know about the stickers Steve jobs was referring to but the manual for the Nokia 2330 clearly has a picture of how to hold the phone without blocking the antenna with the following advice:

Your device may have internal and external antennas. As with any radio transmitting device, avoid touching the antenna area unnecessarily while the antenna is transmitting or receiving. Contact with such an antenna affects the communication quality and may cause the device to operate at a higher power level than otherwise needed and may reduce the battery life.

See here:

http://www.mobile-manual.com/text-871.html

Thank you.
  • Reply 239 of 547
    fuwafuwafuwafuwa Posts: 163member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by davesw View Post

1.77% return rate.

0.5% Apple care complaints.

This is a non-issue for 99% of all iPhone 4 owners.

The only people really affected by all these are Android trolls like you jealous of the iPhone 4.

That's right. Phandroid hates iPhone because Android sucks.
  • Reply 240 of 547
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Choose some nice clear tape as thick as you can find. Cut a thin strip two inches long and you're done. When that peels off - repeat. Not ideal but minor. Better than a taped shut battery flap, are taped together plastic casing of which I don't know how many I have had. Or, for the phone clutchers amongst you - if you are in a weak signal area, change the grip slightly. You know, just a minor adjustment like you might change your grip slightly when holding a camera with tele zoom on it. To steady it at extreme zoom a slight adjustment is usually necessary.

Re the hand getting in the way for data transmission - who clutches the phone when downloading data, anyway?

I don't need the clear coating for me - if I want the phone uncovered I can use nail varnish - I'll be getting a case/cover - probably totally protective in case I drop it.

I want the clear cover for those who must have the phone without a cover (lord knows why) and are too entitled too self righteous use tape. I want the clear coating so I don't have to hear them moan anymore