N97 reception video added to Apple's antenna site as Nokia seeks new CEO

Comments

• Reply 41 of 242
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by freddych View Post

... Apple has the only phone where X marks the spot since it is the only phone that can be effected by a single finger touch. For you to get the same effect on other phones, you need to cover the entire antenna with your palm in a death grip.

Uhm, you've already admitted that what you say here isn't true, yet you are now saying it again?
  • Reply 42 of 242
    prof. peabodyprof. peabody Posts: 2,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

... If you want to shift your claim to, "But the iPhone is affected by a normal grip," well, so are all the other phones we've seen videos of. So, one finger, normal grip, there's nothing unique about the iP4 in this regard, and your criticism, while it can be directed at other phones as well, falls flat on its face when you attempt to single out the iP4.

I agree.

I wish people complaining about this would post pics of themselves holding the phone "wrong." I haven't got the iPhone 4 yet, but I've tried many times to hold the 3Gs various ways and I've yet to find a "natural" way to hold any phone that covers the same space occupied by that black seam on the iPhone4.

People keep arguing that the attenuation happens on an iPhone 4 when "held naturally," but I just don't believe it. I can't find any comfortable or natural posture of holding any phone that leaves my hand around the bottom like that with one exception. The exception is that if you plaster the thing to the side of your head and put your whole hand over it, then *maybe* you'd cover that spot.
  • Reply 43 of 242
    drdbdrdb Posts: 99member
    My friend at work has a Samsung and he was telling me today how he loses WiFi when he puts his hands in a particular spot on his phone. I imagine more non-fanboy users of other phones will start coming forward with similar complaints now they've seen that it's the phone not the signal to blame.
  • Reply 44 of 242
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zeasar View Post

I wouldn't call that a tight grip, since both the thumb and the middle finger shows a healthy blood flow in them.

Which is what you would see with a tight grip. Try it. Finger tips and side of thumb will redden.
  • Reply 45 of 242
    freddychfreddych Posts: 266member
    Quote:

Another nonsensical argument. Perhaps you are trying to confuse the signal display issue with the real signal loss issue?

First, any demonstrations that show an iP4 gong from 5 bars to Searching while the seam is bridged are no longer valid demonstrations. It's been shown that that apparent effect was strictly due to the bar display. In reality, the signal drop was never as severe as those demonstrations made it appear.

Secondly, any phone that exhibits this behavior, and it sure seems to be quite a few, will immediately drop the amount of signal it is going to drop, while the signal strength indicators will vary in the amount of time it takes them to reflect this. So, if any of these phones has a weak enough signal that it won't be able to maintain a connection, that will happen immediately, and, again, the iP4 is not unique in this regard.

And lastly, let us assume that, "iPhone 4 is the only phone with a video like that." All that actually proves is that the iPhone 4 is the only phone with a video like that. Not that the iP4 is the only phone that behaves like that. The available evidence indicates that many phones behave like that.

No one is confusing signal display issue with a real signal loss issue. When you touch the the signal actually drops. Data will sometimes completely stop as shown in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TclS...layer_embedded

The video also shows that putting an insulating coating (such as tape) over the trouble spot almost completely fixes the problem.

It seems as if you are confusing the two issues. Yes, other phones will suffer from the death grip, but they won't suffer from the single finger touch.

The REASON that the single finger touch is important is because it occurs when many people naturally hold the phone in their left hands with the fingers resting on the side and the corner of the phone resting gently on their palm.
  • Reply 46 of 242
    zeasarzeasar Posts: 91member
    Quote:

Apple has the only phone where X marks the spot since it is the only phone that can be effected by a single finger touch. For you to get the same effect on other phones, you need to cover the entire antenna with your palm in a death grip.

How many times are you going to dodge the quote you had on the video which shows 2 finger touch dropped the signal strength of an non-apple phone?
  • Reply 47 of 242
    All of this is well and good, but unless the phone loses signal and drops calls, what's the point? Shouldn't that be the output documented by these videos?
  • Reply 48 of 242
    Quote:

Uhm, you've already admitted that what you say here isn't true, yet you are now saying it again?

I don't really follow. What did I admit wasn't true that I said?
  • Reply 49 of 242
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by StLBluesFan View Post

Which is what you would see with a tight grip. Try it. Finger tips and side of thumb will redden.

Im sorry but maybe Im an alien since my finger tips goes white if I grip anything hard.
  • Reply 50 of 242
    drdbdrdb Posts: 99member
    Does anyone know if the Nokia X6 advertised at the bottom of the page has these problems? Not that I'd buy a Nokia of course, it's not 2001 and I'm not stupid.
  • Reply 51 of 242
    Quote:

How many times are you going to dodge the quote you had on the video which shows 2 finger touch dropped the signal strength of an non-apple phone?

Did you see that video? The fingers had to go all the way around the phone. Doesn't even come close to anything that could happen naturally.
  • Reply 52 of 242
    Quote:

Im sorry but maybe Im an alien since my finger tips goes white if I grip anything hard.

Mine get red. Just tried it.
  • Reply 53 of 242
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:

... It seems as if you are confusing the two issues. Yes, other phones will suffer from the death grip, but they won't suffer from the single finger touch. ...

You've already been shown a video of another phone that is affected by "the single finger touch". Your comments in reply to that, were an admission that it happened. Now you are going back to your original, false assertion, as though the whole debunking of your false claim never happened.

Another troll or interested party not interested in the truth, but only in pressing a case against Apple based on a non-issue.
  • Reply 54 of 242
    Quote:

You've already been shown a video of another phone that is affected by "the single finger touch". Your comments in reply to that, were an admission that it happened. Now you are going back to your original, false assertion, as though the whole debunking of your false claim never happened.

Another troll or interested party not interested in the truth, but only in pressing a case against Apple based on a non-issue.

1) it wasn't a single finger touch.

2) that kind of contact doesnt occur when holding the phone in any natural way.
  • Reply 55 of 242
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by davesw View Post

good thing apple is doing this. here's a few more.

maybe if you copy and paste this more, the discussion won't repeat itself.

Oh wait.

• Reply 56 of 242
    Quote:

Apparently. Pinch a finger at the first joint. Blood pools and finger tip turns red. Similar effect if you grab the phone and squeeze as shown.

If you really are an alien, you can prove it by giving me winning lottery numbers for next Saturday.
  • Reply 57 of 242
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fuzz_ball View Post

If Apple deserves the heat for "antennaegate" then so be it, but the minute their competitors start throwing stones, well then cry me a river if they think it is "unfair" that Apple points out their own flaws. If Nokia didn't want their antennae issues pointed out, then they shouldn't have yelled "dog-pile on Apple" and instead just stay out of the fracas.

This is exactly correct. I think it's pretty hilarious that Nokia chose to open their trap when Apple didn't even mention a Nokia phone at the press conference. Apple responded quickly by posting the video that demonstrates the issue with a Nokia phone. There is no doubt that Apple's competitors have been fanning the flames over the past couple of weeks. They have no doubt been gleefully whispering mucho disinformation to the blogosphere. Jobs & company are clearly not going to take it lying down anymore. You wanna dog us in the media, ok, here's our response dumb asses.

I have an iPhone 4. It is far and away the best phone I have ever owned. It appears to have the same reception and number of dropped calls as my old 3GS. But I now have a MUCH better camera, HD video, FaceTime, zippier performance, WAY better battery life and the coolest industrial design around. Am I an Apple apologist? Well, if liking beautifully made and engineered products that look as great as they work makes me an Apple apologist, then yes, I wear that badge proudly.

Good engineering is about making the right balance of compromises. The new antenna design is obviously not perfect. It has an additional weakness that other designs don't have. But it allows for a bigger battery, a thinner phone and a cooler design. For me, the balance they chose is exceptional. For others, it may not be. Maybe it's impossible for some people to keep their pinky off that little line. For them, the compromise might not be worth it. They should buy a different phone. If they already bought one, they should take it back. But based on the data available so far (return rates), I think it's safe to say that the majority of the iPhone population thinks that the Apple engineers made the right series of engineering compromises.
  • Reply 58 of 242
    cory bauercory bauer Posts: 1,286member
    Quote:

The flaw with Apple's reasoning on this is that the iPhone 4 exhibits these attenuation signals from there mere touch of the seam between the two antennas. This is compounded by the fact that it happens to be exactly where many people who hold their phones in their left hand put their palms.

Sure, the other phones will show signal loss when you hold it with a death grip cupping your hand over the entire antenna, and the iPhone 4 will do the same thing.

However, I haven't seen any videos of any other phone showing signal loss from one finger touching it. The excuse Apple gives that it "marks the spot" is bullsh!t. No other phone has a spot (marked or unmarked) that has the same symptoms.

I haven't seen any videos of one finger killing the signal of an iPhone 4, either. How many reports have there been where this is the case? Every video I saw utilized a grip exactly like how Apple's gripping the competitor's phones in these videos, presumably because that's what is required to make the iPhone 4's signal drop. If everyone with this issue could make the signal drop with one finger, then they would have posted videos showcasing the "death touch" instead of the "death grip".
  • Reply 59 of 242
    chillinchillin Posts: 59member
    Quote:

but they don't suffer when you touch it with one finger.

You are incorrect.

Think about this for a minute and you will realize you are wrong. Let me give you a hint: physics.

The death grip is the way to affect the attentuation the most, and is demonstrable on all cell phones.

How would you touch a non-iPhone to just barely affect the attenuation of the antenna? IF you just wanted to give it a blip... a tiny little bit of interference... how would you go about doing that, I wonder? Maybe... if you... just barely touched it with your FINGER! Yes, that would do it. In fact... you can do it without actually touching... sometimes... just get the tip of your finger reeeally close... and that will do it.

Again, you are incorrect. All cell phones' antenna's, by rule of teh Physics of teh Universe, will be aversely affected by touching the phone pretty much anywhere with a single finger. Some spots are worse than others. Most manuals point out the bad spot.

Stop. Looking. At. The. Signal. Bars. They. Are. Meaningless.
  • Reply 60 of 242
    Quote:

Did you see that video? The fingers had to go all the way around the phone. Doesn't even come close to anything that could happen naturally.

You can continue to play dumb here and spin your words all you wanted, it only proved one thing about you and Im sure its very clear for all to see.

Off to bed.

Well played sir, well played.