Apple says white iPhone 4 won't arrive until later this year

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple on Friday announced that it still has had difficulty in manufacturing the white version of its iPhone 4, and the product will not be available until "later this year."



"White models of Apple's new iPhone 4 have continued to be more challenging to manufacture than we originally expected, and as a result they will not be available until later this year," the company said in a statement on Friday. "The availability of the more popular iPhone 4 black models is not affected."



The update is particularly interesting because it was just a week ago that Apple Chief Executive Steve Jobs publicly said that the white iPhone 4 remained on track to launch by the end of July. Jobs made his comments at last week's iPhone 4 press conference, at which it revealed it will give away free protective cases for every iPhone 4 purchase through Sept. 30.



Earlier this week, Apple's alleged difficulties in having glass panels for the iPhone 4 manufactured was detailed in a report that claimed one machine from a supplier can only make three panels per hour. A worker with Chinese manufacturer Lens Technology reportedly said that the company is still trying to work out the right balance of paint thickness and opacity with the white iPhone 4.



It was claimed that the manufacturer has had difficulty in ensuring the panel allows enough space for the digitizer overlay while also providing the level of white that Apple expects the glass to have.







In June, Apple said in a press release that the white iPhone 4 has "proven more challenging to manufacture than expected." At the time, the company expected to launch the white handset in late July. The white model has not been available for sale anywhere since the iPhone 4 launched on June 24.
«13456712

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 223
    columbuscolumbus Posts: 281member
    Quote:

    the more popular iPhone 4 black models



    Is this because no one can buy the white ones?
  • Reply 2 of 223
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Perhaps this means the white iPhone will have more than one proximity sensor? And thus it'll be fixed? Perhaps a covering on the antenna too? iPhone 4.1?
  • Reply 3 of 223
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    They're probably awaiting a reengineered antenna system... Who Knows?
  • Reply 4 of 223
    The white iPhone will be exclusive to Verizon, launching in January.
  • Reply 5 of 223
    rabbit_coachrabbit_coach Posts: 1,114member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post


    They're probably awaiting a reengineered antenna system... Who Knows?



    Why should they reengineer the antenna system?? 99.45% of users are OK with the antenna as it is. So apple is not likely to go through such useless efforts and generate probably antennas with less overall reception quality.
  • Reply 6 of 223
    aervaerv Posts: 4member
    Where did apple say that it won't come out till later this year?
  • Reply 7 of 223
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,254member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post


    They're probably awaiting a reengineered antenna system... Who Knows?



    Precisely, we don't know.
  • Reply 8 of 223
    estolinskiestolinski Posts: 140member
    They'll be available in November just in time to create adequate hype and boost holiday sales.
  • Reply 9 of 223
    djintxdjintx Posts: 454member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aerv View Post


    Where did apple say that it won't come out till later this year?



    They said it throughout this article. It's in quotes and everything.
  • Reply 10 of 223
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rabbit_Coach View Post


    Why should they reengineer the antenna system?? 99.45% of users are OK with the antenna as it is. So apple is not likely to go through such useless efforts and generate probably antennas with less overall reception quality.



    And now the Apple apologists come out of the woodwork. Time to put down the Kool Aid and face facts.



    The external antenna with the gap right near the users palm is a failure. It is probably the greatest example of form over function in history. The Apple engineers begged Steve Mobs not to embrace it and Mr. Egomaniac did it anyway. And now Apple has to pony up and buy the whole world free cases. What does that tell you?
  • Reply 11 of 223
    smiles77smiles77 Posts: 668member
    Wow. I am bummed out. Waiting for this phone to switch from Verizon. My contract ends in one month, and I was hoping there would be available stock of the white when that happened. Hmph. I'm getting closer and closer to just buying the new iPod Touch coming out Sept. 7 and keeping my current dumb-phone.
  • Reply 12 of 223
    smiles77smiles77 Posts: 668member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blackintosh View Post


    And now the Apple apologists come out of the woodwork. Time to put down the Kool Aid and face facts.



    The external antenna with the gap right near the users palm is a failure. It is probably the greatest example of form over function in history. The Apple engineers begged Steve Mobs not to embrace it and Mr. Egomaniac did it anyway. And now Apple has to pony up and buy the whole world free cases. What does that tell you?



    This antenna has been in testing since 2008. Engineers worked their butts off to make the most sensitive antenna in the world. Guess what...they succeeded. It can make more calls in more places and deliver higher speeds than ever. There is one spot where a small manufacturing error (as this does not affect even close to 10% of all iPhones 4) may enable the attenuation of signal in a greater-than-normal manner. If you want to throw out facts (numerical measured statistics) and give in to the ether of cynicism prevailing in the sensationalist media--your choice. Just don't go vomiting on people who want to discuss what's going on in a reasonable manner and enjoy livin' life in the information and technology age.
  • Reply 13 of 223
    djintxdjintx Posts: 454member
    The iPhone antenna is the worst electronics design of any kind in history bar-none. No wait, it's the most innovative feature ever put on a phone or any other consumer product in our lifetime. Well, I thought I knew the answer, but now I'm confused.



    I guess at least we all know it has to be one of the two options above. It couldn't possibly fall somewhere in the middle.



    This is a very tired debate. Both the haters and the apologists are wrong, so let's all move on now.
  • Reply 14 of 223
    estolinskiestolinski Posts: 140member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blackintosh View Post


    And now the Apple apologists come out of the woodwork. Time to put down the Kool Aid and face facts.



    The external antenna with the gap right near the users palm is a failure. It is probably the greatest example of form over function in history. The Apple engineers begged Steve Mobs not to embrace it and Mr. Egomaniac did it anyway. And now Apple has to pony up and buy the whole world free cases. What does that tell you?





    Yeah, don't get one. They're horrible. I hate everything about my iPhone4. It is unusable. It's like carrying a deck of cards in my pocket. Let's go over to Gizmodo and post some flaming trolling idiot comments over there. ( Closes and locks door behind Blackintosh )
  • Reply 15 of 223
    aervaerv Posts: 4member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DJinTX View Post


    They said it throughout this article. It's in quotes and everything.



    I know, I was thinking what press was it released to? and it was the one from PRNewswire FirstCall
  • Reply 16 of 223
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 12,720member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smiles77 View Post


    Wow. I am bummed out. Waiting for this phone to switch from Verizon. My contract ends in one month, and I was hoping there would be available stock of the white when that happened. Hmph. I'm getting closer and closer to just buying the new iPod Touch coming out Sept. 7 and keeping my current dumb-phone.





    The problem is this; once you have 3G on an iPhone it is extremely hard to consider going back to dumb phones. Stay on dumb phones as long as you can, your wallet will love you for it. Plus white devices get really ugly pretty fast.



    Besides if they really get FaceTime running on the pods they will be a limited but useful communications device all on their own.



    On the otherhand iPhone 4 is a very nice phone with great 3G performance.
  • Reply 17 of 223
    djintxdjintx Posts: 454member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aerv View Post


    I know, I was thinking what press was it released to? and it was the one from PRNewswire FirstCall



    I think it was released to GNN (Gizmodo News Network) by "A Reliable Source". No really, this is all very legit. Nothing to see here, and you should especially ignore the man behind that curtain pressing those buttons. Now, move along.
  • Reply 18 of 223
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smiles77 View Post


    This antenna has been in testing since 2008. Engineers worked their butts off to make the most sensitive antenna in the world. Guess what...they succeeded. It can make more calls in more places and deliver higher speeds than ever. There is one spot where a small manufacturing error (as this does not affect even close to 10% of all iPhones 4) may enable the attenuation of signal in a greater-than-normal manner. If you want to throw out facts (numerical measured statistics) and give in to the ether of cynicism prevailing in the sensationalist media--your choice. Just don't go vomiting on people who want to discuss what's going on in a reasonable manner and enjoy livin' life in the information and technology age.



    And another apologist rears his ugly head. I love you Apple fanbois. The antenna issue was so bad it was world headlines for weeks, surpassing the BP oil spill. A US senator got involved, satire cartoons filled the newspapers, and the world trembled on the brink. Everyone seemed to be in agreement that a mass recall was the only way to save Apple.



    So what happened? Darth Jobs got up on stage and told you the phone was fine and the entire freaking planet just forgot the whole thing.



    And now by your post, and the one I responded to, I take it no one is allowed to even mention the antenna issue. "Just get a case" or "I don't make phone calls cause I have no friends" is the answer to everything.



    Gawd, I can't stand you freaking fanbois. I wish you were in the room with me so I could smack some sense into you. This company is so off the deep end, they can't even make a white phone without getting into trouble. ANY other company screws up like this would have shareholders demanding resignations. But not Apple. They are not a company, they are your best friends, right geeks?



    Go have another glass of Apple Juice and squeeze your black iPhone 4.
  • Reply 19 of 223
    diddydiddy Posts: 282member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aerv View Post


    Where did apple say that it won't come out till later this year?



    I would say that AP is a reliable enough source...



    ETA: Apple Link. http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2010...statement.html
  • Reply 20 of 223
    curmudgeoncurmudgeon Posts: 483member
    I don't understand why Apple is bothering with a white iPhone. Who cares? Just drop the stupid thing and move on.
Sign In or Register to comment.