Apple says white iPhone 4 won't arrive until later this year

Comments

• Reply 201 of 223
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SendMe View Post

Har! Good luck...

Apple uses the best glass. They have QA.

Improper tempering? Its Gorilla Glass! It is the best glass in the world, made under the strictest manufacturing specification in the business. IT CAN BEND!

Hey, for all we know this is glass by and/or tested by actual gorillas.
  • Reply 202 of 223
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sdbryan View Post

That is why I find the "plonk" capability of this forum software so useful.

"Hey, Blackintosh just got "plonked"!
  • Reply 203 of 223
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SendMe View Post

Har! Good luck...

Apple uses the best glass. They have QA.

Improper tempering? Its Gorilla Glass! It is the best glass in the world, made under the strictest manufacturing specification in the business. IT CAN BEND!

Not so hard to understand if you realize that all glass is nothing more than very fine sand, heated to liquid and then cooled. Yeah, most people get that...

What most people do not realize, is that the molecules are still moving. How much depends on a lot of factors and I'm the first to tell you that I'm neither a scientist or silica engineer.

Want some proof? Find some really old window panes and measure the thickness on all four ends. You will find that one end will be thinner and it's opposite will be much thicker. That's the top and bottom, respectively. Gravity literally made that happen. It's a really fun thing to show younger folks, i.e. those that still have inquisitive, open minds.
  • Reply 204 of 223
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blackintosh View Post

I am honored.

Don't be. It wasn't a compliment.
  • Reply 205 of 223
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stefanous View Post

I don't think it's been blow out of proportion at all. In fact, I think there's a reason why so many people are talking about it. And the 0.55% number is a misconception because it refers to only the people that complained who had AppleCare, which many people do not have.

Do you really think Apple would give out free cases to every iPhone owner just because 0.55% of people with iPhone 4's are having problems? That doesn't make much sense to me - that's why people are having feelings that Apple goofed up with the antenna. I think if it wasn't a huge issue, then Apple would have just given out free cases to people that came into the store and complained if it really was only 0.55% of iPhone 4 users.

Hey guess what? All apple products come with a complimentary 1 year warranty which includes gasp..phone support for what..90 days! So anyone who bought a iPhone 4 can call in so it's still statistically correct
  • Reply 206 of 223
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

WTF!? Are you denying the existence of pyramid power?!

EDIT:

Yeah them pyramids have the function of sucking energy from the sun for the Decepticons... The form (big ass pointy thing) makes sense, to hide it for millenia from prying eyes. Plus did I mention it's pointy? Any machine or weapon that's pointy has to be cool.
  • Reply 207 of 223
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gooddog View Post

If the white paint job is not do-able, then I have The World's Greatest Idea and will share it with everyone now:

MAKE A CLEAR GLASS iPhone 4 THAT SHOWS OFF ALL OF ITS LOVELY GIBLETS !!!

With laser engraving INSIDE THE GLASS BACK (not on the surface -- you've seen those crystal ornaments with 3D interior laser etching of dolphins, hummingbirds, etc?) of text and /or objects.

BTW, the white iPhone4 has tiny holes for the proximity sensor, so it must work OK.

---gooddog

Actually I did have that idea as well. Pure clear glass all the way through limited edition iPhone4s would be über awesome.
  • Reply 208 of 223
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blackintosh View Post

It is probably the greatest example of form over function in history.

Feel cozy in your little cocoon there?
  • Reply 209 of 223
    multimediamultimedia Posts: 1,035member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Multimedia View Post

Yeah I was very near the front of the walk in queue in Palo Alto on launch day - even spent the night there - but didn't buy because I thought the White delay would only be a few weeks. Now I see I should have pulled the trigger then and there. It isn't worth it to me to wait even longer than next week. I read this Sunday Apple Stores will have unreserved ones for sale on a first come first served basis.

So Less Than 24 Hours After Making My Apple Store Reservation I Have My iPhone 4. First store I called said it would be one to two weeks. Second store I called 3 miles further away said today or tomorrow. Got my notification it's waiting for me less than 24 hours after making the reservation. So either Apple is catching up or this store is stealth and no one calls it.
  • Reply 210 of 223
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Multimedia View Post

So Less Than 24 Hours After Making My Apple Store Reservation I Have My iPhone 4. First store I called said it would be one to two weeks. Second store I called 3 miles further away said today or tomorrow. Got my notification it's waiting for me less than 24 hours after making the reservation. So either Apple is catching up or this store is stealth and no one calls it.

You gotta hand it to Apple Retail... Retail is a real bitch to work in/ manage/ etc. but Apple Retail is still ahead of many other chains. Just wish there were more official Apple Stores outside of the US. In Asia their big focus is China now Ah well, South East Asia is far down the list anyways.
  • Reply 211 of 223
    aizmovaizmov Posts: 989member
    if I knew this I would have gotten a black on launch

This sucks

I don't think I can wait any more
  • Reply 212 of 223
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    dbldbl dble post

sorry lemon bon bons
  • Reply 213 of 223
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    ruined hijacked topic

thank guys

you old attack TS was spot on ./.

amy way back on topic the white iphone should be a beautiful device

all this talk and i really want one f verizon

f all the stupids Me and the kids will hit the staten island mall apple store and ry to see if i can snag a black one

there is 2 att stores 100 feet away and one best buy 4 000 feet away ....

buy 11am i will post from my phone i hope

peace and lets try to ignore the stupids

• Reply 214 of 223
    Wow, that big post was one helluva epic post from brucep.
  • Reply 215 of 223
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

ruined hijacked topic

thank guys

you old attack TS was spot on ./.

amy way back on topic the white iphone should be a beautiful device

all this talk and i really want one f verizon

f all the stupids Me and the kids will hit the staten island mall apple store and ry to see if i can snag a black one

there is 2 att stores 100 feet away and one best buy 4 000 feet away ....

buy 11am i will post from my phone i hope

peace and lets try to ignore the stupids

Yeah chill mate, just go get your iPhone4. Update us here on how it's doing.
  • Reply 216 of 223
    finetunesfinetunes Posts: 2,065member
    [QUOTE=brucep;1682983]✺P✺L✺E✺A✺S✺E✺✺✺D✺O✺N✺O✺T✺ ✺F✺E✺E✺D✺V✺VV✺T✺R✺O✺L✺L✺S✺✺

v

✺P✺L✺E✺A✺S✺E✺✺✺D✺O✺N✺O✺T✺ ✺F✺E✺E✺D✺V✺VV✺T✺R✺O✺L✺L✺S✺✺

[QUOTE=Superbass;1682035]Don't you mean that 99.45% of users haven't returned their iPhones?

I think saying that that many are okay with the shitty antenna is a stretch, even by fanboy standards. The fact that they're only giving out free "$30 rubber bands" until September points to them producing a less-retarded antenna design update which will replace the current stock in September...

✺✺P✺L✺E✺A✺S✺E✺✺✺D✺O✺N✺O✺T✺ ✺F✺E✺E✺D✺V✺VV✺T✺R✺O✺L✺L✺S✺✺

?

[QUOTE=Superbass;1682035]Don't you mean that 99.45% of users haven't returned their iPhones?

I think saying that that many are okay with the shitty antenna is a stretch, even by fanboy standards. The fact that they're only giving out free "$30 rubber bands" until September points to them producing a less-retarded antenna design update which will replace the current stock in September...

?

✺✺P✺L✺E✺A✺S✺E✺✺✺D✺O✺N✺O✺T✺ ✺F✺E✺E✺D✺V✺VV✺T✺R✺O✺L✺L✺S✺✺

?

✺P✺L✺E✺A✺S✺E✺✺✺D✺O✺N✺O✺T✺ ✺F✺E✺E✺D✺V✺VV✺T✺R✺O✺L✺L✺S✺✺

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Superbass View Post

Don't you mean that 99.45% of users haven't returned their iPhones?

?

vHEY DUDES

PLEASE DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS

HEY DUDES

HEY DUDES

HEY DUDES

HEY DUDES

HEY DUDES

HEY DUDES

PITHY !! which means ??? cats meow ??

HEY DUDES

HEY DUDES

HEY DUDES

HEY DUDES

PLEASE DO NOT FEED THE DEAD TROLLS

HEY DUDES

HEY DUDES

HEY DUDES

HEY DUDES

HEY DUDES

HEY DUDES

HEY DUDES

HEY DUDES

WELL WITH GLASS WE CAN HAVE A TEAL BLUE PHONE OR A RED PHONE OR YELLOW BROWN

HEY DUDES

can the touch make phone calls rom 3 g ??

HEY DUDES

so what's your point?

Actually I agree with you, but there's just about nothing we can do except to ignore the trolls all together and not to make comments to those who do respond to them. The more that you protest, the more you feed the trolls yourself.
  • Reply 217 of 223
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Actually I did have that idea as well. Pure clear glass all the way through limited edition iPhone4s would be über awesome.

I would have to agree. Very cool for those that understand what all those little thingies are doing in there.
  • Reply 218 of 223
    sendmesendme Posts: 567member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by justflybob View Post

Want some proof? Find some really old window panes and measure the thickness on all four ends. You will find that one end will be thinner and it's opposite will be much thicker. That's the top and bottom, respectively. Gravity literally made that happen. It's a really fun thing to show younger folks, i.e. those that still have inquisitive, open minds.

Behavior of antique glass

The observation that old windows are often thicker at the bottom than at the top is often offered as supporting evidence for the view that glass flows over a matter of centuries. It is then assumed that the glass was once uniform, but has flowed to its new shape, which is a property of liquid.[25] In actuality, the reason for this is that when panes of glass were commonly made by glassblowers, the technique used was to spin molten glass so as to create a round, mostly flat and even plate (the crown glass process, described above). This plate was then cut to fit a window. The pieces were not, however, absolutely flat; the edges of the disk became thicker as the glass spun. When actually installed in a window frame, the glass would be placed thicker side down both for the sake of stability and to prevent water accumulating in the lead cames at the bottom of the window.[26] Occasionally such glass has been found thinner side down or thicker on either side of the window's edge, as would be caused by carelessness at the time of installation.

Mass production of glass window panes in the early twentieth century caused a similar effect. In glass factories, molten glass was poured onto a large cooling table and allowed to spread. The resulting glass is thicker at the location of the pour, located at the center of the large sheet. These sheets were cut into smaller window panes with nonuniform thickness, typically with the location of the pour centred in one of the panes (known as "bull's-eyes") for decorative effect. Modern glass intended for windows is produced as float glass and is very uniform in thickness.

Several other points exemplify the misconception of the "cathedral glass" theory:

* Writing in the American Journal of Physics, physicist Edgar D. Zanotto states "...the predicted relaxation time for GeO2 at room temperature is 1032 years. Hence, the relaxation period (characteristic flow time) of cathedral glasses would be even longer."[27] (1032 years is many times longer than the estimated age of the Universe.)

* If medieval glass has flowed perceptibly, then ancient Roman and Egyptian objects should have flowed proportionately more ? but this is not observed. Similarly, prehistoric obsidian blades should have lost their edge; this is not observed either (although obsidian may have a different viscosity from window glass).[21]

* If glass flows at a rate that allows changes to be seen with the naked eye after centuries, then the effect should be noticeable in antique telescopes. Any slight deformation in the antique telescopic lenses would lead to a dramatic decrease in optical performance, a phenomenon that is not observed.[21]

* There are many examples of centuries-old glass shelving which has not bent, even though it is under much higher stress from gravitational loads than vertical window glass.

Some glasses have a glass transition temperature close to or below room temperature. The behavior of a material that has a glass transition close to room temperature depends upon the timescale during which the material is manipulated. If the material is hit it may break like a solid glass, but if the material is left on a table for a week it may flow like a liquid. This simply means that for the fast timescale its transition temperature is above room temperature, but for the slow one it is below. The shift in temperature with timescale is not very large however, as indicated by the transition of polypropylene glycol of -72 °C and -71 °C over different timescales.[18] To observe window glass flowing as liquid at room temperature we would have to wait a much longer time than any human can exist. Therefore it is safe to consider a glass a solid far enough below its transition temperature: Cathedral glass does not flow because its glass transition temperature is many hundreds of degrees above room temperature. Close to this temperature there are interesting time-dependent properties. One of these is known as aging. Many polymers that we use in daily life such as polystyrene and polypropylene are in a glassy state but they are not too far below their glass transition temperature as opposed to rubber which is used above its glass transition temperature. Their mechanical properties may well change over time and this is serious concern when applying these materials in construction. In general for polymers there is a relation between the glass transition temperature and the speed of the deformation.
  • Reply 219 of 223
    finetunesfinetunes Posts: 2,065member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by justflybob View Post

Not so hard to understand if you realize that all glass is nothing more than very fine sand, heated to liquid and then cooled. Yeah, most people get that...

What most people do not realize, is that the molecules are still moving. How much depends on a lot of factors and I'm the first to tell you that I'm neither a scientist or silica engineer.

There's more to glass than you think. Although glass is considered an amorphous solid it will time depending upon temperature for it to deform as mentioned in your example. Note also that each type of glass will have varying viscosities.

What is glass-solid or liquid?

http://dwb4.unl.edu/Chem/CHEM869A/CH...en/florin.html

Types of Glass not just sand

http://www.crystalartusa.com/typesofglass.aspx

http://www.palaceofglass.com/resources/modern/

Gorilla glass

http://www.corning.com/gorillaglass/...teristics.aspx

http://www.smartplanet.com/business/...computer/2997/

http://www.glassinchina.com/news/newsDisplay_9608.html

iPod Glass not perfect

http://www.tested.com/news/whats-so-...ate-glass/429/

http://www.pcworld.com/article/19847..._the_test.html

http://blog.glassquarterly.com/2010/...e-glass-armor/

http://mobile.venturebeat.com/2010/0...pple-suggests/

Flatness tolerances

http://www.coresix.com/apps.html

• Reply 220 of 223
    bushman4bushman4 Posts: 858member
    In the end APPLE will be one of the few companies that has a solution for the alleged antenna problem and will patent the idea. So what starts out as a black eye for APPLE may turn out to be a Gold Star.