Android-based smartphone shipments leapfrog Apple's iPhone

Comments

• Reply 21 of 351
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    'Shipments' or 'Sales'?

Having gone the 2-fer route, Android 'sales' stats are now suspect in my mind.

Anyone can 'ship'... its another thing to actually sell as opposed to giving away promo units.
  • Reply 22 of 351
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

I think that's pretty impressive from Android, and they should be complimented for their success. Let's face it, Apple are never likely to be the market share leader in the markets they compete in, because they are a premium product.

That's the thing. The iPhone really isn't a premium product as far as price goes. When you can get a 3GS for free with a contract at Walmart or Best Buy, there is no reason for someone to get a Droid over it, except hardware or OS preference (duh). The point is, as far as price goes there is no gap. It would be like getting either a Dell Inspiron 15" laptop for $499 or a MacBook Pro 15" for $499. If you like Windows, or the color of the Dell, you'll buy it, but price is not an issue.
  • Reply 23 of 351
    Could it have anything to do with the fact you can't get an iPhone 4 right now? Maybe if Apple made them available, they would post better numbers.

Sorry to be the one to tell you fruit worshipers, but Apple CAN'T execute.
  • Reply 24 of 351
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Interesting you say that seeing the iPhone is the only one getting bad press on a regular basis when it comes to hardware isssue.

That proves only one thingL Apple is a press magnet.
  • Reply 25 of 351
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smiles77 View Post

That's my other rant. Why is it "Android to iPhone" instead of "Android to iOS". iOS devices sold were over 17 million for the last quarter (counting iPod Touches and iPads) which puts them way over Android. Don't compare a whole OS to another OS's single variant.

At least AI made that clear in its headline.

Other sites (*cough*MacRumors*cough*) claimed Android was outselling iOS.
  • Reply 26 of 351
    Quote:

That's my other rant. Why is it "Android to iPhone" instead of "Android to iOS". iOS devices sold were over 17 million for the last quarter (counting iPod Touches and iPads) which puts them way over Android. Don't compare a whole OS to another OS's single variant.

Well the only reason I can see is that everytime these articles come out its smartphone related which means of course the iPad and Touch do not count.

Also I find it unfair to base companies like Google and Microsoft because they are simply software companies and decide not to get heavy into the hardware business. Its SJ choice to try and control everything from the hardware to the software. Not every company wants to get into the hardware business.

For companies like Google and Microsoft all they care about is selling their software because they are both primary software companies.

Apple at anytime can expand any of their operating systems to run on any device, they choose not too.
  • Reply 27 of 351
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

Let's face it, Apple are never likely to be the market share leader in the markets they compete in, because they are a premium product.

I don't think it's because the iPhone is a premium product but rather Apple's business model. If Apple licensed iOS to other vendors, It's market share would improve exponentially. Same with OS X. It's only installed on computers made by Apple. Imagine if Apple licensed OS X as Microsoft does Windows. Apple wants to control the users' complete experience - apparently they're ok with a fraction of the market. Of course, this business model has been successful with the iPod - so what do I know?
  • Reply 28 of 351
    Quote:

Your theory is flawed. The Evo, Incredible and Droid X all cost exactly the same as the iPhone with a 2 year contract. The reality is people like Android. There isn't anything keeping anyone from buying and iPhone seeing it has been on the market for longer then 2 years so anyone that had their contract expire could have moved to an iPhone over an Android based phone without any problems.

The only reality here is that Android has become a true competitor to iOS.

Android is a true, decent competitor, but not a great one. It is mostly a knock-off in most people's eyes. Every single person I have seen (around 12) who has bought an Android phone bought it because they wanted a smartphone on Verizon. Every one I asked said they would have bought the iPhone if it was available on Verizon. A few I followed up with around 3-6 months later said their phone was "okay" but it was complicated and couldn't do a lot of things they wanted to do with it. I let them try my iPod Touch, and they all without exception said that if the iPhone was just as easy, they'd trade-in the instant it was available on Verizon. With Gruber predicting around an 85% chance of that happening January '11, it looks like they won't have to wait long.
  • Reply 29 of 351
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

That proves only one thingL Apple is a press magnet.

That depends on what side you take. If there is truly a hardware issue then its not just about the media.

SJ is a self created monster. He likes to bash other companies like Google, Adobe, Microsoft so when something cmes out that doesn't look right everyone is going to jump on Apple. So maybe he should learn to shut his mouth once and a while.
  • Reply 30 of 351
    Funny juxtaposition with the earlier story that tells how half the Apple stores are Out Of Stock iPhonewise.

There's a difference between shipments and sales, perhaps?
  • Reply 31 of 351
    Quote:

Well the only reason I can see is that everytime these articles come out its smartphone related which means of course the iPad and Touch do not count.

Also I find it unfair to base companies like Google and Microsoft because they are simply software companies and decide not to get heavy into the hardware business. Its SJ choice to try and control everything from the hardware to the software. Not every company wants to get into the hardware business.

For companies like Google and Microsoft all they care about is selling their software because they are both primary software companies.

Apple at anytime can expand any of their operating systems to run on any device, they choose not too.

Yeah, but a lot of the articles then postulate about how developers should now switch to Android because iOS is getting smaller in comparison. That is simply not true, as the iPhone is not the only device that runs iOS.
  • Reply 32 of 351
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    What the press says and what is actually going on in reality can be two different things. The press are going to do whatever they need to get to do to get people to read their pages.

Verizon confirms Droid X screen issues

Quote:

Interesting you say that seeing the iPhone is the only one getting bad press on a regular basis when it comes to hardware isssue.

• Reply 33 of 351
    "… Let's face it, Apple are never likely to be the market share leader in the markets they compete in, because they are a premium product."

What about iPod in the MP3 market? 70% not enough to be leader?
  • Reply 34 of 351
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ifail View Post

I doubt you'd see a significant shift even when the iPhone finally goes mult-carrier. I'd wager we'd only see a boost of roughly 3 million a quarter, which certainly wont be enough to unseat Android at the rate its going in terms of market share.

Other carriers will now be able to push the iphone instead of having to compete with other models. In Canada, I often see iphone promotions coming from multiple carriers, thats a lot of free promotion... and this will make an impact on US sales.
  • Reply 35 of 351
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

I don't think it's because the iPhone is a premium product but rather Apple's business model. If Apple licensed iOS to other vendors, It's market share would improve exponentially. Same with OS X. It's only installed on computers made by Apple. Imagine if Apple licensed OS X as Microsoft does Windows. Apple wants to control the users' complete experience - apparently they're ok with a fraction of the market. Of course, this business model has been successful with the iPod - so what do I know?

You know I think you're probably right, but whether you consider them a premium product or not, one way or other their business model is not likely to lead to market dominance (iPod excepting, but I suspect other electronics and content companies have got wise to how they managed that and it probably won't happen again), but I really don't think that matters.

Many people on this board get so heated about whether Android is selling better than iOS, or whether Android is better technically than iOS and I just don't think it matters. I like Apple's stuff so I use it. If someone else likes Android, that's OK too.
  • Reply 36 of 351
    Quote:

Android is a true, decent competitor, but not a great one. It is mostly a knock-off in most people's eyes. Every single person I have seen (around 12) who has bought an Android phone bought it because they wanted a smartphone on Verizon. Every one I asked said they would have bought the iPhone if it was available on Verizon. A few I followed up with around 3-6 months later said their phone was "okay" but it was complicated and couldn't do a lot of things they wanted to do with it. I let them try my iPod Touch, and they all without exception said that if the iPhone was just as easy, they'd trade-in the instant it was available on Verizon. With Gruber predicting around an 85% chance of that happening January '11, it looks like they won't have to wait long.

The reason why Android users like myself say the phone is "okay" is because Apple fans often get over excited about their products. I am happy with Windows 7 but I didn't stand in line to get it when it was released, like Apple fans do when a new version of OSX is release.

I would never stand in line for 13 hours like they did at the Mall of GA to get an iPhone.

You tend to find exccessive behavior with Apple only users. Those of us that use Apple products along with other procducts tend to be shall I say more level headed when it comes to how excited we get about technology.

I have many Apple products I use a MBP daily and I use an Evo daily. I have about the same reaction to both, they both do exactly what I expect them do and that is all I care about.
  • Reply 37 of 351
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    I'll believe Apple cares about market share when iOS and OS X are licensed out. Obviously market share is important to Google and Microsoft.
  • Reply 38 of 351
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Quote:

That depends on what side you take. If there is truly a hardware issue then its not just about the media.

A lof of Android phones also have hardware issue. The difference is that it's not amplified ten fold like iPhone was.

And it's got nothing to do with SJ mouth. It got everything to do with Apple success.
  • Reply 39 of 351
    ifailifail Posts: 463member
    Quote:

On the contrary, with a CDMA iPhone available on Sprint and Verizon, the Chinese carriers, and all the small regional carriers, at a price equal or less than (for the 3GS) most Android phones, we should see a massive market shift. Android units will drop sharply at first, and then slowly grow, taking share from RIM and Nokia. Apple will likely accelerate to 1st or 2nd in the world within 3 years. When Mom, Dad and kids can get an iPhone for the same price and on the same carrier as a "Droid" or dumbphone, and do Facetime--it's a clear win for Apple 80% of the time. Hardware keyboard and geeks would be one of the only areas where they would experience defectors. Of course, within weeks of the iPhone being available on all carriers, we will see nearly all Android handsets dropping to $99 or $0 with 2-year contract. It's the way the world turns.

Again i SEVERELY doubt it. Android is rapidly accelerating in markets outside the US because it covers a varied range of price points. By the time an iPhone becomes available for CDMA (early next year?) we'll be staring down on dual core Snapdragons at 199 and the current elite phones like the Evo 4G dropping to significantly cheaper prices while running Gingerbread. I love the 3GS as a budget phone but a 3GS vs say a $99 Evo 4G or Droid X is an extremely tough sell.

You will see an explosion of sales initially from the people who wouldnt switch to AT&T, but sales from AT&T will drop while boosting on other carriers. Its going to grow but its not going to stop Android at all. Apple is bursting at the seams in areas they recently expanded to, but on carriers where they offer both Android and Apple devices, its been a wash.
  • Reply 40 of 351
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

What the press says and what is actually going on in reality can be two different things. The press are going to do whatever they need to get to do to get people to read their pages.

True. But when was the last time you saw Steve Jobs hold a press conference and then give away something to millions of users for no reason at all? You don'[t even have to prove you have a problem you simply get a free bumper.

Which to the press and many users only confirms there is a problem. In many cases perception is the ony reality that truly matters.

With all that being said I really don't think the iPhone has any major design flaw. No more then any othe smartphone.