Android-based smartphone shipments leapfrog Apple's iPhone

Comments

• Reply 81 of 351
    wovelwovel Posts: 956member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ihxo View Post

It would be pretty scary if Apple out SHIPS HTC, Motorola, Samsung, LG (etc...) COMBINED

Call me if anyone of them actually out SELLS the iPhone.

They did make more profit on phone sales alone than all of them combined on all phone model sales.
  • Reply 82 of 351
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

For companies like Google and Microsoft all they care about is selling their software because they are both primary software companies.

Extreme, I don't think, for a moment, that Google cares about selling Android .... it only wants it to be on as many devices as possible to increase it's search business, wouldn't you agree? Google is a search company, first and foremost, IMHO.
  • Reply 83 of 351
    cimcim Posts: 197member
    Nobody buys an iPhone in Q2, because they know a new one is just around the corner. This “news” is nothing more than flamebait.
  • Reply 84 of 351
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater;1695260

[B

SJ is a self created monster. He likes to bash other companies like Google, Adobe, Microsoft so when something cmes out that doesn't look right everyone is going to jump on Apple. So maybe he should learn to shut his mouth once and a while.[/B]

People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. ... just sayin' ...
  • Reply 85 of 351
    jetzjetz Posts: 1,293member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

Funny thing is Android succes comes from the fact its almost a copycat of the iOs.

Just because people keep saying this does not make it true.

They're both touch based. And that's about where the similarity ends. Desktop and widgets are huge differentiators. As is the notification system (drop down blind vs. pop-ups). I actually prefer the Android UI (particularly the stock UI on the Nexus One) to iOS.

The way you use the phones is fundamentally different. If you're an Android user you put on widgets for thinks like Facebook, twitter, sports scores, news, calendar, weather and even toggle switches for connectivity options. You glance down at those widgets to get info. You don't open individual apps. Notifications stay in the blind, until you action them. They don't pop-up and interrupt you.

You also more hard buttons, which again, changes the way you use the phone. Hard back button is something that takes a lot of getting used to (having it and then not having it on iOS). Hard search key is very hand feature. Short press, right into search. Long press into search via voice-to-text.

...which brings up the next feature. voice to text and voice command integration. It's amazing on Android. And an area Apple could really catch up on.

So with all that, how is one a copy of the other? If anything I'd argue Android is more Palm OS like, than anything.
  • Reply 86 of 351
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by [TheElectricChairRepairman View Post

"?

Just wondering .... who "tests" the chairs you repair?
  • Reply 87 of 351
    asianbobasianbob Posts: 797member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Not every Android phone is a direct iPhone competitor, several are them are totally crap phones.

Ok? So? You still haven't shown why asking that question is important.

Again, why does a single Android device need to outsell the iPhone one on one? Will Android as a whole die if one doesn't?
  • Reply 88 of 351
    Android is on more phone models sold by more carriers, while the iPhone is made by one company and sold by a single carrier in the US. So, this doesn't surprise me one bit.

Android will become the "budget" phone for those who can't get or afford an iPhone. Apple has always catered to the higher-end of the consumer scale, which doesn't necessarily translate into market dominance, but, does translate into large profits for the company and high customer satisfaction.
  • Reply 89 of 351
    tofinotofino Posts: 697member
    ...for Microsoft. WnMo 7 better be something extra special! What are the odds?
  • Reply 90 of 351
    qualiaqualia Posts: 73member
    The funny thing about this is that I'm sure that Motorola, HTC, and the other manufacturers of phones don't care one bit about this. Motorola, for example, is more interested in the number of phones Motorola sells! In fact, they might even prefer not to be lumped together under one banner, as that makes them look more like a faceless commodity brand.

The only company that this is a victory for is Google. It's like how Microsoft dominating the PC market was a victory for Microsoft but not so much the companies who made the PCs (how are the victorious PC manufacturers such as Dell, Acer, Compaq, etc. doing compared to poor little underdog Apple in the computer business these days?).
  • Reply 91 of 351
    Quote:

Again this is all Android phones combined essentially against one phone. Are there any Android handsets single handedly outselling the iPhone?

Is that really relevant in the grand scheme of things?

And personally I only consider OS vs. OS figures relevant. Saying Android is beating the iPhone is useless information for most people except the handful that own stock in one of these OEMs.
  • Reply 92 of 351
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

A lof of Android phones also have hardware issue. The difference is that it's not amplified ten fold like iPhone was.

And it's got nothing to do with SJ mouth. It got everything to do with Apple success.

The bigger the success ... the bigger the bull's eye. It just comes with the territory.

I think that's because is most people find it easier to attack success than it is to achieve it.... sad, but true. \
  • Reply 93 of 351
    qualiaqualia Posts: 73member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jetz View Post

Just because people keep saying this does not make it true.

They're both touch based. And that's about where the similarity ends. Desktop and widgets are huge differentiators. As is the notification system (drop down blind vs. pop-ups). I actually prefer the Android UI (particularly the stock UI on the Nexus One) to iOS.

The way you use the phones is fundamentally different. If you're an Android user you put on widgets for thinks like Facebook, twitter, sports scores, news, calendar, weather and even toggle switches for connectivity options. You glance down at those widgets to get info. You don't open individual apps. Notifications stay in the blind, until you action them. They don't pop-up and interrupt you.

You also more hard buttons, which again, changes the way you use the phone. Hard back button is something that takes a lot of getting used to (having it and then not having it on iOS). Hard search key is very hand feature. Short press, right into search. Long press into search via voice-to-text.

...which brings up the next feature. voice to text and voice command integration. It's amazing on Android. And an area Apple could really catch up on.

So with all that, how is one a copy of the other? If anything I'd argue Android is more Palm OS like, than anything.

And KDE isn't a knockoff of Windows because of a few different details (for one, the start button is a giant K and not a Windows flag!). Deny it all you want. It's not like the whole design of Android phones changed after the iPhone came along.
  • Reply 94 of 351
    Good luck with that anti-trust!
  • Reply 95 of 351
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Masteric View Post

Apple screwed up on this one. They have a large portion of the smartphone market, but they could of had a lot more.

They're already selling all they can deliver ... if demand is higher than supply (and it is) then why create more demand?
  • Reply 96 of 351
    geekdadgeekdad Posts: 1,131member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dfiler View Post

That would be an interesting topic as well.

At the same time, shouldn't we at least acknowledge that this topic is significant from a platform viability perspective? Granted, the android platform is not as compatible/monolithic as the iOS platform, but this is still a meaningful topic.

Exactly what I was going to say! :-) If you compare device to device...phone to phone then the iPhone will outsell all phones..one to one.

Apple does a great job of promoting the iPhone as well. the have a great marketing department! Othetr than the Droid...android phones really aren't promoted as well as the iPhone is.....
  • Reply 97 of 351
    ifailifail Posts: 463member
    Quote:

Market share growth doesn't automatically mean profitability.

Profitability for whom? Google? Manufacturers? Developers?

I would say that the only person possibly suffering on Android is developers because users arent as hardcore about apps as much as iOS users are.
  • Reply 97 of 351
    quevarquevar Posts: 101member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iVlad View Post

Market share doesn't mean much, it's all about who makes the most profit. Apple still makes the most profit out of all and they allow themselves to find and hire very talented people.

Ad far as I know, Apple and Android fans shouldn't fight each other. They should fight Symbian and RIM instead, because those are the horses everyone needs to kick to the last place.

Totally agree. Android 2.2+ is a good OS for phones. I am thrilled to see multiple good OSes for phones that are competing and pushing aside the mediocre to bad phones, in particular Windows Mobile. Although iOS started much of this revolution, it is great to see that there are two good platforms taking off and MS isn't a part of it due to their incompetence, so they won't be able to get a monopoly and stifle the competition.

The reason it is so beneficial to have multiple good platforms is that it will prevent stagnation in the market, which is great for consumers.
  • Reply 99 of 351
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cincytee View Post

Good for Android, but note that the percentage gain in Android market share corresponds almost 1-to-1 with the loss of Symbian and Windows share. RiM also lost share. Since iOS's share still rose, I'll begin to worry only when Android (or some future system) actually eats away at Apple's business. Since the iPhone by phone standards is already a fairly mature product in comparison to Android, I don't see this as a sea change for Apple. If I were Nokia, though, it'd be a whole different story ... and not really looking like one with a happy ending.

Astute observation and I agree. Android and iOS aren't so much in competition with each other as they are in competition with Symbian, Blackberry OS and Windows Mobile. But the rate at which Android is rising, being reminiscent of the iPhone, it's inevitable that people will compare them, and inevitable that they will find themselves in competition once the rest get relegated to the back benches.
  • Reply 100 of 351
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

I guess for me I have been in technology since I was 19, I am now going to be 43 so having worked in the business for a few decades and always having to carry about cell phones, beepers and laptops the excitement tends to wear off..lol.

Extreme, please remember .... one doesn't stop playing with toys because they grow old ..... they grow old because they stop playing with toys. (I only wish I was 43 again ... hell, I've got socks older than you ..hehe)