Android-based smartphone shipments leapfrog Apple's iPhone

Comments

• Reply 121 of 351
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by newbee View Post

Extreme, I don't think, for a moment, that Google cares about selling Android .... it only wants it to be on as many devices as possible to increase it's search business, wouldn't you agree? Google is a search company, first and foremost, IMHO.

Which also makes the whole Apple vs Google a joke because Google is still the primary search engine used by iPhone owners. Along with many other Google applications.

Most of this hate is media driven. End users always use what suits their needs. Like I have said before for me Android (HTC Evo) has simply been something I wanted to try. Its been a mixed bag, some good stuff, some not so good stuff.
  • Reply 122 of 351
    os2babaos2baba Posts: 262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jetz View Post

Correct me if I am wrong but I had read somewhere that all combined Apple had something like 300-400 000 activations per day. I don't think Android has surpassed all of iOS yet. Just the iPhone.

Check out #4 at http://www.businessinsider.com/andro...ing-ios-2010-8
  • Reply 123 of 351
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by os2baba View Post

Go to a T-Mobile store and take the Samsung Vibrant for a ride. That's with 2.1 and some flaws that will get fixed with a firmware update next month. One of the reasons why Android didn't seem to take off for the first year was because the hardware was so woefully behind the OS. It was only since the original Droid on Verizon since November of last year that the hardware has caught up with the software. The Samsung Galaxy S (on all 6 carriers in the US) and 100 carriers worldwide is possibly the first Android device that is ahead of the OS. There will be features added in Gingerbread (Android ver 3 later this year) that will make this impressive device truly rock. As it stands now, it's already significantly better than iPhone 4 in almost every respect.

I own this phone and I can tell you, Samsung messed this one up. While it's true the devices hardware is ahead of its time (especially the GPU), the changes they made to Android have killed the apps that access the hardware features directly.

BTW, where did you hear the Galaxy was getting an update next month?
  • Reply 124 of 351
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Not all PC manufacturers. Computer companies have come and gone over the past 20 years. There are a lot who were successful at one point that aren't here anymore. Well before phones became apart of the game.

Quote:

I beg to differ. The PC makers were doing quite well in the late 90s. It's just that we are now reaching the end of the PC era and transitioning to the mobile era. And the ones who can't make the transition will suffer for it.

• Reply 125 of 351
    ruel24ruel24 Posts: 432member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by os2baba View Post

Go to a T-Mobile store and take the Samsung Vibrant for a ride. That's with 2.1 and some flaws that will get fixed with a firmware update next month. One of the reasons why Android didn't seem to take off for the first year was because the hardware was so woefully behind the OS. It was only since the original Droid on Verizon since November of last year that the hardware has caught up with the software. The Samsung Galaxy S (on all 6 carriers in the US) and 100 carriers worldwide is possibly the first Android device that is ahead of the OS. There will be features added in Gingerbread (Android ver 3 later this year) that will make this impressive device truly rock. As it stands now, it's already significantly better than iPhone 4 in almost every respect.

You still miss the point. It's not that the Galaxy sports a Super AMOLED display, or whatever. Google's app store sucks, the quality of the apps is substandard due to Android users not wanting to actually purchase apps, the phone still isn't an iPod - which is the best mp3 type device ever produced, and therefore it's not compatible with iTunes - the richest digital media outlet there is... It's the whole experience that's missing from the Android line of phones.

Then, Motorola shoves it's MotoBlur skinning on you, HTC has its Sense UI, Samsung has its own UI (TouchWiz?)... They are inconsistent. The experience when moving from a Motorola Android phone to a Samsung is quite different. Every one of those UI skins slows down the phones.

As it sits, Android phones continue to be a "me too" device, that lacks the entire ecosystem behind the product like the iPhone currently has. It also lacks the public perception and desire to own the product the way the iPhone does. The public holds its breath on new iPhone releases. There's barely a headline for a new Android phone release. There's a reason for that: The public wants the iPhone. They merely accept the Android copy cat.
  • Reply 126 of 351
    jahonenjahonen Posts: 364member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

They are maybe OK phones/OS but they certainly don't have the Apple 'Eco-System' which, for me and my daughter the integration of the iPhone/MacBooks, iTunes, App Store, etc., is what it's all about....

Isn't that precisely what a larger market share allows? A bigger eco-system. Once you add tablets, car systems, TVs etc, it's going to be even bigger.

Isn't that precisely an ecosystem, which is set to be much larger than iOS ecosystem if things keep going the way they are going at the moment and adding the new device types? Kind of like the PC wars all over again?

Regs, Jarkko
  • Reply 127 of 351
    asianbobasianbob Posts: 797member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Yes it is relevant. What do you think is more relevant to Motorola? The number of units the Droid X sells or the number of total units all Android phones combined sells?

Would Motorola prefer the Droid X outsell the iPhone, or would Motorola prefer all Android sales combined outsell the iPhone?

Down to the individual companies, I'm sure they would love to have one of their products sell on par with the iPhone. But like we've been saying, in the grand scheme (i.e. big picture), a single phone not outselling the iPhone isn't a deathblow to the company nor the Android platform. Performance like that would really be icing on the cake.

Lets run with the Motorola example you picked. After the RAZR phenomenon, Motorola almost all but disappeared on the consumer phone area. After releasing the Droid on Verizon, they've exploded back on the scene. They followed the Droid with the X and now the Droid 2, both of which are wildly popular and sold out pretty much everywhere. And there's rumors of a tablet in the future.

Has the sales for these phones topped the iPhone? Definitely not. But Motorola's cell phone division has been saved from death and now enjoys much boosted profits. They're earning more than enough to keep on developing new devices and those I will happily look forward to.
  • Reply 128 of 351
    Quote:

Macintosh Desk Accessories, 1984

Which begs the question from me.

Why hasn't iOS gotten widget support?
  • Reply 129 of 351
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kyle76 View Post

Next thing you know, we'll be reading that PC's outpace Mac sales.

I just bought a new 12core MacPro with a new glossy monitor for $7K

Me so happy!
  • Reply 130 of 351
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by newbee View Post

Glad to see that modesty isn't one of your faults ..... but your ability to predict an almost certain to happen event .... well, to quote Shania Twain .... That don't impress me much.

If it was such an easy prediction why did not a single person in that old thread agree with me?

It seems obvious now... be cause it happened. Back then, in these forums no one agreed with me.
  • Reply 131 of 351
    ruel24ruel24 Posts: 432member
    Quote:

I beg to differ. The PC makers were doing quite well in the late 90s. It's just that we are now reaching the end of the PC era and transitioning to the mobile era. And the ones who can't make the transition will suffer for it.

Apple in a sense is the first PC maker to make that transition. Dell and Acer are now starting down that path. HP bought Palm. So you can see where this is going.

Nope. You will always use PC's to hold data and manipulate that data. The mobile market is good, but it has limited use. The iPhone can't do spreadsheets very well, or draw a vector based drawing, render 3D scenes, or even surf very well. What it does is provide a good enough experience on the go.

PC's will never die. The fact is that most Windows PC makers are suffering because they've long been in a race to the bottom. As they all have competed to have cheaper and cheaper goods, they've made their quality cheaper and cheaper and therefore commoditized. There's little profit in them, and the quality is garbage: crappy TN based screens, plain unattractive cases, garbage keyboards and mice... There was a time when it was common to get a quality (then Trinitron) monitor, a good high-end Microsoft keyboard and mouse, etc. with your computer. Those days are gone. Let's not get into the India based low-grade customer service you now get.

The difference between Apple and them is that Apple takes the high road. You get quality, excellent design, and a complete experience from beginning to end, and great US based customer service. But, this comes at a higher price. Apple offers unique products that they develop in-house from concept to execution that can't be had anywhere else. They make money by doing it.

It's like, sure you can own a Nissan 370Z and hot rod it to make it run fast, handle well, etc., but if you had the money, you'd rather have a Ferrari. Apple is that Ferrari - well thought out and executed from beginning to end - not just a bunch of parts.
  • Reply 132 of 351
    jetzjetz Posts: 1,293member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Trajectory View Post

To each his own.

Exactly. I really don't buy into the pissing contest per se. I'm considering an iPad to replace an old laptop. Looking at the landscape on the tablet side, there's nothing comparable on Android, just crap like the Archos. So I'd go iPad.

On the same token, I don't get people who think that somebody chooses Android because they can't afford an iPhone. That's a load of bull. To start with, if you can afford a cellphone plan with data, I highly doubt you'll find $200 for a phone on contract that steep. Next, why do people find it so hard to believe that some of us actually want features like mifi or navigation which the iPhone doesn't have? Or that we might actually Android's UI (desktop, widgets, notification blind)?

I'd concede that the average person is less likely to know enough about each OS to be able to differentiate between them and pick one at this stage of the game. However, now that Android is growing in popularity, you'll find that more and more people are going to find that there's less and less of a real world difference between an iPhone and an Android phone and more and more concern over features.

To that end, Apple should really do something about its cloud services, because this stuff is becoming the differentiatior. What's the key attraction to Android? Google's services. And that's what Apple doesn't seem to get. You can have the nicest UI and hardware, but it's utterly useless if it's not tightly integrated with the services I want to use. IMHO a good start would be making MobileMe free for iOS users to counter GMail, Picasa, etc. That would add some premium value. And then, they should be developing features like cloud2device that Google has with Firefox/Chrome and Android. It's little stuff like this where Apple is starting to fall behind and once people find out about them, will tilt some users towards Android. Why hasn't Apple done this already when they've had a mobile OS and a browser combination well before Google?

Generally speaking though, I really think it's a very personal choice, that fanboys will never understand. I get it, when I watch my brother on his Blackberry. He's a social nut. And so for him, a solid keyboard and messenger service (BBM) will a phone optimized for browsing anyday. He'll never get an iPhone or an Android, because there's no way he'd give up BBM. Conversely, for me, my choice is feature driven. I'd consider an iPhone if they added the AWS band (T-Mobile band in the US), had some sort of free navigation service and added universal voice-to-text functionality. Otherwise, I am pretty happy with my N1, and don't really feel anything missing. Most people I know with Androids feel the same (the exceptions being the ones using old phones stuck on 1.5/1.6). The again, Android came late to Canada and everyone is pretty much running around with late gen Androids that are feature packed. Anyway, people should not under-estimate how attractive features like voice to text and navigation are to the average user, especially once you get used to them. Apple's going to have match these to stay competitive.
  • Reply 133 of 351
    cimcim Posts: 197member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AsianBob View Post

Which begs the question from me.

Why hasn't iOS gotten widget support?

Widgets don?t make sense on tiny screens.
  • Reply 134 of 351
    os2babaos2baba Posts: 262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by yeshuawatso View Post

I own this phone and I can tell you, Samsung messed this one up. While it's true the devices hardware is ahead of its time (especially the GPU), the changes they made to Android have killed the apps that access the hardware features directly.

Not sure that I follow what apps were killed? Are you referring to the GPS problem? I know a lot of people like a stock Android UI. But I think HTC Sense is excellent. I was also quite surprised at how much I liked TouchWiz after reading reviews of it on previous Samsung phones. I toggle between it and Launcher Pro and like features of both. But it does prevent users from getting the latest version quickly. And this is one area in which Apple has done an excellent job. The ability for iDevices to upgrade to the latest OS version getting the carrier out of the equation is something only Apple could do. Android certainly has a user device fragmentation. Of course I root the phone and install custom ROMs. But it's not something most users are going to do and Google needs to find a way to fix this. The fragmentation for developer argument is utter rubbish. I have had absolutely no difficulty in making my app run on multiple versions (1.5+) and iOS has just as much of fragmentation problem for developers as Android does - which is that experienced developers wouldn't think twice about it.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by yeshuawatso View Post

BTW, where did you hear the Galaxy was getting an update next month?

http://www.techradar.com/news/phone-...ptember-708120
  • Reply 135 of 351
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

Except what you said hasn't happened yet. Android besting the sales of a year old iPhone 3GS is nothing to write home about, and it certainly doesn't mean the iPhone has failed.

A three year old could have come up with your argument, it's nothing to write home about. Who would have thought that devices built by multpile manufacturers, and available through more carriers, but using the same OS could have more total sales volume than a device built by one manufacturer???

I do love how everyone is saying i was stating the obvious back then...

Yet not a single person (2 years ago) agreed with me.

You people are mentally handicapped.

Well i suppose that explains your love for the iPhone.

bwhahahhahahaa
  • Reply 136 of 351
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ruel24 View Post

You still miss the point. It's not that the Galaxy sports a Super AMOLED display, or whatever. Google's app store sucks, the quality of the apps is substandard due to Android users not wanting to actually purchase apps, the phone still isn't an iPod - which is the best mp3 type device ever produced, and therefore it's not compatible with iTunes - the richest digital media outlet there is... It's the whole experience that's missing from the Android line of phones.

Then, Motorola shoves it's MotoBlur skinning on you, HTC has its Sense UI, Samsung has its own UI (TouchWiz?)... They are inconsistent. The experience when moving from a Motorola Android phone to a Samsung is quite different. Every one of those UI skins slows down the phones.

As it sits, Android phones continue to be a "me too" device, that lacks the entire ecosystem behind the product like the iPhone currently has. It also lacks the public perception and desire to own the product the way the iPhone does. The public holds its breath on new iPhone releases. There's barely a headline for a new Android phone release. There's a reason for that: The public wants the iPhone. They merely accept the Android copy cat.

Actually, I think we purchase plenty of apps. It's true that the offerings so far are not on-par with the App Store, but as soon as a well-made app is made available, people will buy it. As more and more developers are moving to port iOS apps to Android, I'm sure you'll start seeing a rise in the purchasing. It's mostly the quality games that we're all waiting for.

While it may not have as good of an ecosystem as the iPhone, the Android ecosystem does exist. And it continues to grow every day.

As for the headlines, I'm not sure if you've been watching TV, but here in the US, we get plenty of commercials for new Android releases. Verizon, Samsung, HTC, T-Mobile have all been making commercials. Hell, some of them look like teasers for a new movie that's coming out (see the X commercials). I'm sure other countries have their own commercials.

And the online news community makes a huge stink when new Android devices are made available as well. Everything from the blogs to the major news sites report on them and when they are released, review them and compare them to other devices.
  • Reply 137 of 351
    cimcim Posts: 197member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ekeefe41 View Post

I do love how everyone is saying i was stating the obvious back then...

Yet not a single person (2 years ago) agreed with me.

You people are mentally handicapped.

Well i suppose that explains your love for the iPhone.

bwhahahhahahaa

You seem like the only mentally handicapped person here.
  • Reply 138 of 351
    Quote:

Yes it is relevant. What do you think is more relevant to Motorola? The number of units the Droid X sells or the number of total units all Android phones combined sells?

Would Motorola prefer the Droid X outsell the iPhone, or would Motorola prefer all Android sales combined outsell the iPhone?

That's not the grand scheme of things. That's just relevant to Motorola. Should you or I as a consumer (or say developers) care whether Motorola singularly outsells the iPhone?
  • Reply 139 of 351
    Quote:

Macintosh Desk Accessories, 1984

Yep. And that's not the iPhone. If the assertion is that Android copy the iPhone, then where's the widgets on iOS.

My prediction: You'll see it in iOS5.
  • Reply 140 of 351
    jahonenjahonen Posts: 364member
    Take a look at this little diagram:

http://graphics.thomsonreuters.com/F..._SMPHN0710.gif

Makes for a more interesting comparison. The figures are pretty close to the ones in the AI article. AIs data is from a different source and focus on YonY figures which don't show trends as quickly as quarterly comparisons, but the figures are quite close to be relevant in comparison.

It would seem (a very quick analysis and full of assumptions) that the real losers in the race going forward (if the trend continues) are old WinMo users (which would make sense until WinMo7 comes along) to some extent RIM and surprisingly Apple (not profit wise, but marketshare wise), which was a surprise to me when I encountered this graph for the first time.

I'm fully aware that iP4 will bump up Apple in Q3 like 3GS did last year, but is Apple's single product strategy and updates 1/year too little or too infrequent in the long run?

Any thoughts?

Regs, Jarkko