Antennagate hits Verizon's Android Motorola Droid 2

Comments

• Reply 61 of 145
    This is why I love Appleinsider!
  • Reply 62 of 145
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Your guess seems pretty reasonable. I can?t see them continuing the free cases so I think the best customers might get is an at-time-of-purchase discount on the Bumper (but not the other cases). Though, maybe not even that as it?s clearly not an issue in other countries, shown to clearly be an issue affecting devices Rx/Tx RF, and simply not the issue it was made it out to be.

All joking aside, I would bet that this particular issue can be fixed with SW/firmware.

What I can?t wait for is other manufacturers following Apple?s lead in using the frame as the antenna to allow for more internal space within a given total volume. That will be laughable after these companies made the claims they did.

Maybe if there is a way to hack an android phone and install iOS, the problems could be fixed?
  • Reply 63 of 145
    cubertcubert Posts: 728member
    <pointing>

"HA HA!!!"

</Nelson>
  • Reply 64 of 145
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

But at least you don't have to worry about the death touch like with the iPhone 4.

Well, according to the article, the Droid 2 loses signal if you just think about touching it.
  • Reply 65 of 145
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Keep hanging. The only reason a CMDA phone makes sense for Apple to develop is to expand into the Chinese Markets.

Are you serious? Wow. One of us is really out of touch.
  • Reply 66 of 145
    nceencee Posts: 857member
    where the only thing that makes any sense is to have a phone from AT&T, Verizon and US Celluar. Then you can get reception it's about anywhere, but NOT everywhere.

Hell, we just switched to Sprint (don't ask why). And while it's not the best choice, the phones do work well in some odd places, and not bad most anywhere else.

Once ALL phones start working great, we will find something else about them we don't like, or think should work better.

Skip

PS But I do agree, we need to let the world know, not to buy a Droid as they don't work. Oh, that's just the antenna thing, no big deal.
  • Reply 67 of 145
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by guch20 View Post

I've got $500 saying the national news and the vast majority of local news outlets will not pounce on this or even mention it in passing. It's not that the media is unfair to Apple, it's that nobody really gives a damn about Android.

You are very right and the funny thing is you really won't see this on Engadget.
  • Reply 68 of 145
    Cue massive amount of MSM critical coverage of Verizon, Android, and Motorola.

Yeah, right.
  • Reply 69 of 145
    I can hear Steve laughing uncontrollably in his office.
  • Reply 70 of 145
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by themus View Post

I just registered because I just had to reply to this comment.

You're so right! LOL.

actually the nexus one had big problem with reception long before the iphone stole the show.
  • Reply 71 of 145
    noirdesirnoirdesir Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ranReloaded View Post

I thought the Droid was from Motorola and the Incredible was from HTC... Am I missing something?

At least in the US, the trademark for Droid (for mobile phones) is owned by Verizon not Motorola. Thus Verizon can use it for any of the phones they carry (and Motorola cannot use it with other carriers).
  • Reply 72 of 145
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by HelveticaNeue View Post

If this is true then why isn't it plastered all over Gizmodo, along with a string of videos showing evidence, a petition to fix the issue and a long hate-filled rant by Jesus Diaz?

You're referring to Sam Diaz, who only thinks he's Jesus. He used to think he was Moses until he fell and busted his butt while strutting down Mulholland Drive with a couple of slate roofing tiles that he claimed were holy tablets.
  • Reply 73 of 145
    sendmesendme Posts: 567member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

With Droid 2, users who are experiencing the problem report that it happens even while sitting idle and "without holding it wrong," according to the report.

Looks like Steve was precisely correct, as usual.
  • Reply 74 of 145
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blackintosh View Post

Maybe I'm missing something, but does it say that they are dropping calls? I thought we established a while back that bars are meaningless.

On most phones the bars are meaningless. Apple's bars are accurate, however. They used ATTs recommendations so there bars on the iPhone are real.
  • Reply 75 of 145
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by HelveticaNeue View Post

If this is true then why isn't it plastered all over Gizmodo, along with a string of videos showing evidence, a petition to fix the issue and a long hate-filled rant by Jesus Diaz?

Nobody really cares about Android. Nobody loves Android the way we love Apple. Everybody is addicted to BOGO or else Android wouldn't be nothing.
  • Reply 76 of 145
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DCJ001 View Post

Everyone who adds part of the name of a hotel that was involved in a scandal over 30 years ago to an unrelated issue is an idiot.

That is why Steve used the term, to show that the media and the bloggers are all idiots. I never heard the term before the Press Release.
  • Reply 77 of 145
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SendMe View Post

Nobody really cares about Android. Nobody loves Android the way we love Apple. Everybody is addicted to BOGO or else Android wouldn't be nothing.

actually there are lots of people that are android fanatics. and there are lots of google fanatics. google just suffers from same problem Dell does. too many engineers/brainiacs and no great designers.
  • Reply 78 of 145
    bullheadbullhead Posts: 493member
    LOL. no other phone suffers from the "Look of Death". Just dont look at it or it looses signal strength
  • Reply 79 of 145
    bullheadbullhead Posts: 493member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

Even while standing still with a bumpered iPhone 4, I've seen signal fluctuate wildly in San Francisco. That's "wildly" as in going from no signal, to a few bars maybe with EDGE or maybe with no data at all, to 5 bars with 3G. Even with 5 bars and 3G, the Internet would sometimes be completely unresponsive. Rebooting did not help. It's ridiculous. I understand now what SF residents have been complaining about with AT&T. Never have I experienced such trouble in other metropolitan areas I've lived in or visited. Verizon users, now that there are more than just a few of you using cellular data, welcome to the club. But at least you don't have to worry about the death touch like with the iPhone 4.

Yep, but they have to worry about the "Death Look". Just looking at the Droid 2 makes it loose signal. No other phone does this.
  • Reply 80 of 145
    firefly7475firefly7475 Posts: 1,502member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Until I can reproduce it, it is something that is non-existant.

That's a silly stance to take. I'm not even going to bother to explain why.