Antennagate hits Verizon's Android Motorola Droid 2

Comments

• Reply 101 of 145

I thought Verizon's superior network would have prevented issues like this.
  • Reply 102 of 145
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by inkswamp View Post

Why? Because you say so? Are you an authority on the etymology of English words?

That's how language evolves. It has always worked like that. There are many, many words and phrases in English that emerge from an unrelated event and come to have other, broader meanings. You use those words all the time. Have you ever uttered the phrase "bug" in the context that it's a glitch in software? Then, you've done exactly the same thing as people who add "-gate" to the end of a word. Are people who use the term "computer bug" also idiots? That phrase came from a specific event and later evolved to represent an entire class of things. Just like "-gate."

Like it or not, the suffix "-gate" will probably enter the language as signifying a scandalous or notorious series of events. And that will be no different and no less legitimate than how thousands of other words have entered the language.

Well... hoi polloi for you!

• Reply 103 of 145
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

. . .

+++ qft
  • Reply 104 of 145
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kibitzer View Post

You're referring to Sam Diaz, who only thinks he's Jesus. He used to think he was Moses until he fell and busted his butt while strutting down Mulholland Drive with a couple of slate roofing tiles that he claimed were holy tablets.

• Reply 105 of 145
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bullhead View Post

LOL. no other phone suffers from the "Look of Death". Just dont look at it or it looses signal strength

I used to date a girl who had the same effect (on me)!

• Reply 106 of 145
    Lets hope Motorola learns from Apples PR gaffe. They should immediately work on the issue, and when they are at fault, admit it and do a full recall of the device. Do this within two weeks and hassle free. Just admit, fix, and get on with life.
  • Reply 107 of 145
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by HelveticaNeue View Post

If this is true then why isn't it plastered all over Gizmodo, along with a string of videos showing evidence, a petition to fix the issue and a long hate-filled rant by Jesus Diaz?

Because it's not made by Apple.
  • Reply 108 of 145
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

It makes a lot of sense in the USA also. It makes even more sense if the phone supports LTE that Verizon is rolling out.

Either way the signals are pretty clear, iPhone is coming to more providers in the US. Given that Verizon is a possibility the phone would have to support CDMA.

I deffinately agree that alot of people want this.. but that seems to be the only thing fueling these rumors. There sounds like evidence of a CDMA phone, but that really in know way links the rumor to Verizon.

I personally would have to agree that if a CDMA phone does pan out, it's most likely for China.
  • Reply 109 of 145
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

It was a stupid ad for them to run, anyway. Even when they ran it, there was plenty of evidence that their phones were affected.

Assuming you mean the ad for the X?

And assuming by "evidence" you mean that video Apple put up where they had to find a model with the largest hands in the world to wrap around the phone in the most unnatural, uncomfortable grip ever and they were only able to make the bars drop, but not the actual call drop?
  • Reply 110 of 145
    jahonenjahonen Posts: 364member
    Quote:

Both use IMT-TD Time-Division.

Actually no. Most WCDMA installations use FDD. Yes a TDD mode of UMTS (actually two versions) has been defined, but is not very commonly used. The Chinese TD-SCDMA has other differences as well like the lower chiprate etc.. They most definitely are not the same radio interface.

From the ever so (un)reliable Wikipedia:
    Quote:

"TD-SCDMA uses TDD, in contrast to the FDD scheme used by W-CDMA"

and

Quote:

"UMTS-TDD is not directly compatible with UMTS"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UMTS-TDD

In WCDMA uplink and downlink are on separate frequencies (FDD).

Regs, Jarkko
  • Reply 111 of 145
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jahonen View Post

Actually no. Most WCDMA installations use FDD. Yes a TDD mode of UMTS (actually two versions) has been defined, but is not very commonly used.

All of this is known to me; I can get much more detailed but it?s simply pointless to qualify every variance between these techs. I clearly stated ?both use?, not "only use? and the entire point of my post was not about how TD-SCDMA and W-CDMA differ, but how TD-SCDMA is not CDMA and how China doesn?t have this huge CDMA network as previously stated. Everything else just clouds the issue to the point that mdriftmeyer still probably thinks China is mostly CDMA.
  • Reply 112 of 145
    jahonenjahonen Posts: 364member
    Quote:

All of this is known to me; I can get much more detailed but it?s simply pointless to qualify every variance between these techs. I clearly stated ?both use?, not "only use? and the entire point of my post was not about how TD-SCDMA and W-CDMA differ, but how TD-SCDMA is not CDMA and how China doesn?t have this huge CDMA network as previously stated. Everything else just clouds the issue to the point that mdriftmeyer still probably thinks China is mostly CDMA.

OK. I misunderstood your intention and comparison when you said they are the same radio. At a protocol and architecture level, TD-SCMA is indeed a (slower) 3G tech based on the UMTS family (of which WCMDA is the most common incarnation) and much more closely related to WCDMA 3G than the 2G CDMA used by Verizon and numerous other international operators.

Regs, Jarkko
  • Reply 113 of 145
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Swift View Post

If no calls are getting dropped, so what?

Yep. Same thing the Apple fanbois have been saying. The bars are not measuring reception. Just signal strength (ie that you are reasonably close to an appropriate tower). You can have 5 bars but if the tower is overloaded with calls, you ain't getting through.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by HelveticaNeue View Post

If this is true then why isn't it plastered all over Gizmodo, along with a string of videos showing evidence, a petition to fix the issue and a long hate-filled rant by Jesus Diaz?

Because it ain't Apple being dissed. Remember, all sites Gawker, especially Giz, have a cell tower sized stick up their rears about Apple cause of that nasty detail that Jobs is cooperating with the Çali DA over the prototype issue. And Apple refusing them press passes for WWDC (and apparently also the iphone 4 conference and likely everything else until hell freezes over)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by -AG- View Post

What we may also find is that Apple will include 1 bumper (say generic black) with the phone and then sell the coloured ones as separate sales items.

That's what I'm thinking as well. The September thing may be due to a need to redo the actual packing to have room for a bumper in the box. Which they believe they can roll by the end of Sept.
  • Reply 114 of 145
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AsianBob View Post

Assuming you mean the ad for the X?

And assuming by "evidence" you mean that video Apple put up where they had to find a model with the largest hands in the world to wrap around the phone in the most unnatural, uncomfortable grip ever and they were only able to make the bars drop, but not the actual call drop?

No, I was referring to their ad making fun of the iPhone's antenna problems.

And it wasn't Apple's web page that really skewered them, it was hundreds of videos on YouTube that showed that they suffered the same problem - all at the same time as they were making fun of Apple.
  • Reply 115 of 145
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I used to date a girl who had the same effect (on me)!

Yeah, but the trick is ... to make sure you have that effect on her .... that's when things get interesting, very interesting .... but not funny! (with apologies to Arte Johnson)
  • Reply 116 of 145
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,226member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Well, according to the article, the Droid 2 loses signal if you just think about touching it.

Same goes with the iPhone 4 in some locations, as noted.
  • Reply 117 of 145
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

What's a "death touch"?

Touching the antenna gap of the iPhone 4, of course.

Quote:

I have been unable to cause any signal drop on any of the 20 or so iPhone 4's I've handled

You won't see it in Apple stores, where AT&T repeaters are likely installed for high signal strength.

Quote:

Until I can reproduce it, it is something that is non-existant.

Just ignore those reports from Ars Technica and Consumer Reports. They don't exist.
  • Reply 118 of 145
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bullhead View Post

Yep, but they have to worry about the "Death Look". Just looking at the Droid 2 makes it loose signal. No other phone does this.

Uh, the iPhone 4 in at least some parts of San Francisco suffers from the same problem.
  • Reply 119 of 145
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,950member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

Same goes with the iPhone 4 in some locations, as noted.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

Uh, the iPhone 4 in at least some parts of San Francisco suffers from the same problem.

Hello new troll! So, what you are saying is that the Droid phones suffer from the same antenna problems as everyone got hysterical about for the iP4? Welcome aboard the reality bandwagon.
  • Reply 120 of 145
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SendMe View Post

In 1900, a substantial number of Americans were worked like farm animals, living in factory towns and making starvation wages. Do your stats include them? Or are you talking about White America?

And today's stats - are you including the substantial number of ESL folks in there?

Or do you just make this shit up without knowing the basis for your "facts"?

Do you really have to have someone show you the Harvard and Yale research papers for this information, or can you not use your brain and test how efficient Google is to get that information for yourself?