LG exec proclaims upcoming LG tablet "better than the iPad"

Comments

• Reply 161 of 195
    I love these bold statements, like one poster said, it's always an iKiller or to beat Apple. Funny how Apple never have to make these claims when releasing new products, they just let them speak for themselves. I have LG tv's at home and they are great, but trust me, if Apple started making TV's , the LG's would be in the bin ha ha.
  • Reply 162 of 195
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Looking around, I've only found phase change as being anywhere close, being available in sampling quantities from two companies. Assuming it's reliable and fast enough, then it's a matter of scaling. It takes a lot to replace flash production. I don't expect two companies to displace flash in just a few years, even being as well-backed as they are.

It depends upon where the technology is implemented. Plus hybrid systems would likely exist first.

Quote:

All the other supposed alternatives don't appear to be anywhere near production.

There are other technologies out there in limited production. The problem is nothing has the potential of the phase change technologies.

The question then becomes how quickly can phase change reach or surpass flash density. Hopefully at a lower cost.

Dave
  • Reply 163 of 195
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

There are other technologies out there in limited production.

If they're out there, then what are they? Phase change is the only one that I found that was actually sampling.
  • Reply 164 of 195
    sendmesendme Posts: 567member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jlandd View Post

Optimus? Isn't that the cheezy Radio Shack brand that just sits there gathering dust in Radio Shacks?

You are showing your age. That was a brand way back when home audio was the coolest CE.
  • Reply 165 of 195
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by timgriff84 View Post

Answer, unless you figure out how to copy and paste it you don't!

>

Apple's copy and paste are the industry standard. They are drop-dead simple. We waited literally years for Apple to finally figure it all out, but man-o-man, was it worth it!

Anybody who cannot figure out how to copy and paste with an iPhone deserves to use a Blackberry for the rest of their lives. Simple.
  • Reply 166 of 195
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

But let me recount an experience when not having the print option while traveling was a real problem.

Why do people always go on and on about what Steve's stuff WON'T do?
  • Reply 167 of 195
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

-- tried to open the entire bill in Safari

Safari crashed (repeatedly)

What format was this bill in, anyways? Apple products only support the good ones.
  • Reply 168 of 195
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lowededwookie View Post

Your idea of productivity isn't necessarily the same as someone else's and I can guarantee you that given an iPad I would be even more productive than on my iPhone because I would have access to Pages and Numbers as well as the one app I use all the time which is Bento. Throw in iBooks so that I can carry around manuals and you've got productivity out the wazoo.

Just carry around a 13 inch MBP and all your problems are solved. It is the lightest best laptop on the market. And it is totally durable to.
  • Reply 169 of 195
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SendMe View Post

Why do people always go on and on about what Steve's stuff WON'T do?

Perhaps for the same reason you go on and on about what people DIDN'T say.
  • Reply 170 of 195
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Why isn't SendMe banned yet? His intention to troll is clear.
  • Reply 171 of 195
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Why isn't SendMe banned yet? His intention to troll is clear.

Lol... "arrested and charged with possession of BS with intent to troll"
  • Reply 172 of 195
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SendMe View Post

What format was this bill in, anyways? Apple products only support the good ones.

If you read the whole post, I was attempting to duplicate something I had done on the Mac, on the iPad.

I couldn't even open the document on the iPad.

If you want to see the document format, on a Mac:

-- logon to your AT&T wireless account using Safari

-- select view full bill in the upper left

-- a popup window opens that displays the entire bill in a table

I tried the same thing on both Mac and iPad using the bill summary. It displays a much smaller table.

It worked fine on the Mac.

On the iPad I was able to open the smaller table in Safari and copy it.

However, I was unable to paste it into iPad numbers and preserve the original row/column structure-- everything went into a single table cell.

Later, I'll try and determine if this a problem with Mobile Safari, Numbers, Copy/Paste... and submit a bug/feature request as necessary.

• Reply 173 of 195
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

If you read the whole post, I was attempting to duplicate something I had done on the Mac, on the iPad.

I couldn't even open the document on the iPad.

If you want to see the document format, on a Mac:

-- logon to your AT&T wireless account using Safari

-- select view full bill in the upper left

-- a popup window opens that displays the entire bill in a table

I tried the same thing on both Mac and iPad using the bill summary. It displays a much smaller table.

It worked fine on the Mac.

On the iPad I was able to open the smaller table in Safari and copy it.

However, I was unable to paste it into iPad numbers and preserve the original row/column structure-- everything went into a single table cell.

Later, I'll try and determine if this a problem with Mobile Safari, Numbers, Copy/Paste... and submit a bug/feature request as necessary.

The iPad has a known caching bug in Safari, what happens when you do the same on the iPhone? Which iPhone are you using?
  • Reply 174 of 195
    Quote:

It depends upon where the technology is implemented. Plus hybrid systems would likely exist first.

There are other technologies out there in limited production. The problem is nothing has the potential of the phase change technologies.

The question then becomes how quickly can phase change reach or surpass flash density. Hopefully at a lower cost.

Dave

I did some reading, and phase change technology does, indeed, seem to offer a lot of promise. Though, it appears to require high temperature pulses to change the bits.

In one citation (emphasis mine):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phase-change_memory

Quote:

The special gates used in Flash memory "leak" charge (electrons) over time, causing corruption and loss of data. The resistivity of the memory element in PCM is more stable; at the normal working temperature of 85°C, it is projected to retain data for 300 years.[9]

That's 185ºF-- and I am not quite ready for another move, yet!

• Reply 175 of 195

Here's the best discussion of MRAM that I could find:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magneto..._access_memory

Here is the final summary section (emphasis mine):

Quote:

Overall

MRAM has similar performance to SRAM, similar density of DRAM but much lower power consumption than DRAM, and is much faster and suffers no degradation over time in comparison to flash memory. It is this combination of features that some suggest make it the "universal memory", able to replace SRAM, DRAM, EEPROM and flash. This also explains the huge amount of research being carried out into developing it.

However, to date, MRAM has not been widely adopted in the market. It may be that vendors are not prepared to take the risk of allocating a modern fab to MRAM production when such fabs cost upwards of a few billion dollars to build and can instead generate revenue by serving developed markets producing flash and DRAM memories.

The very latest fabs seem to be used for flash, for example producing 16 Gbit parts produced by Samsung on a 50 nm process.[11] Slightly older fabs are being used to produce most DDR2 DRAM, most of which is produced on a one-generation-old 90 nm process rather than using up scarce leading-edge capacity.

In comparison, MRAM is still largely "in development", and being produced on older non-critical fabs. The only commercial product widely available at this point is Everspin's 4 Mbit part, produced on a several-generations-old 180 nm process. As demand for flash continues to outstrip supply, it appears it will be some time before a company can afford to "give up" one of their latest fabs for MRAM production. Even then, MRAM designs currently do not come close to flash in terms of cell size, even using the same fab.[citation needed]

The potential is that MRAM can replace all RAM and offer better results.

The [apparent] problem is that there are no state-of-the-art fabs open and no company has the "little boxes" to forego profit to risk a fab on a new technology!

BTW, was the IBM microwave technology called "Millipede"?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_Millipede

• Reply 176 of 195
    LG getting into the tablet market is about as uninteresting as the prospect of GE doing it too. Perhaps they need to make up for slowing sales of dishwashing machines or industrial motors. Or TVs. Or microwave ovens.

Tablets are the new gold rush for hardware companies. At least LG didn't take the brain-dead rush-it-through-product-development approach of just lopping off the keyboard of a laptop and stuffing it all behind a touchscreen, the choice that Microsoft's Windows partners have taken. An upsized Android phone running low-powered ARM chipsets at least makes more sense for a tablet. If you boot a tablet and it has to load the OS from the C: drive, then you've already failed.
  • Reply 177 of 195
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

The iPad has a known caching bug in Safari, what happens when you do the same on the iPhone? Which iPhone are you using?

Trying it now on the iP4! 512 MB RAM vs 256 MB on the iPad.

Read the whole thing-- took about a minute for a 7,000 x 11 table.

Don't seem to be able to activate copy/paste-- not surprising if low on RAM and no swapping!

Reset the iP4, and trying again:

No BG tasks, No cached Safari pages.

Took 2 min 15 sec.

Still cannot activate copy/paste.

Update: I can do some copy selection, but it is slow and painful. I can't bring up "Select All" and must drag the border of the selected area. If I go too far or too fast (really quite slow) it deselects or snaps back to the prior selection-- totally unusable.

Took so long that my AT&T session timed out!

• Reply 178 of 195
    Quote:

Dave

Everspin is sampling a 16Mb MRAM with production quantities in July 2010.

http://www.everspin.com/PDF/press/20..._16mb_mram.pdf

• Reply 179 of 195
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by timgriff84 View Post

Except the document isn't there right in front of you because it's in a different app. Seriously how is it convenient, this is my exact problem with the iPhone. I write a word doc in Quick Office, then what? It's stuck on my phone, I can't email it to the person its for as Mail can't access the document. Or any other task where you need to use different apps for different things with the same files. The only real area that works well so far is the fact you can access photo's from different apps, but even that's not perfect.

save as

PDF??
  • Reply 180 of 195
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Eye Forget View Post

I know Americans are not that good at geography but, Norway, not Denmark. Close.

Never-the-less, its not much of an argument when you pitch a politician and a Hollywood director as examples of productivity. Doctors don't fall far behind.

Welcome to my ignore list.