Apple to offer live video stream of Wednesday's keynote

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple has announced that it will provide a public, live stream of Wednesday's keynote, which will be made available via the company's HTTP Live Streaming open standard to Mac and iOS device users.



The Cupertino, Calif., company made the announcement as a media alert Tuesday evening. The live video stream will be available when the keynote begins Wednesday at 10 a.m. Pacific Time, 1 p.m. Eastern, at apple.com.



"Apple will broadcast its September 1 event online using Apple's industry-leading HTTP Live Streaming, which is based on open standards," the company said. "Viewing requires either a Mac running Safari on Mac OS X version 10.6 Snow Leopard, an iPhone or iPod touch running iOS 3.0 or higher, or an iPad."



Apple used to provide a webcast of its keynote events, but stopped doing so in 2005. This week's apparent change of heart could have been inspired by the Wi-Fi meltdown that occurred at the iPhone 4 unveiling, when Chief Executive Steve Jobs had difficulty showing off the company's latest handset because there were too many Wi-Fi hotspots in the Moscone Center.



Jobs asked members in the audience if they could turn off their Wi-Fi devices, but many did not comply, and Jobs was unable to demonstrate some of the features of the iPhone 4. Jobs revealed there were 570 Wi-Fi base stations within the auditorium.



Wednesday's keynote will be at a different location, San Francisco's Yerba Buena Center for the Arts. In addition to Apple's official live stream, AppleInsider will also have its own live coverage.
«1345678

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 145
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 31,513member
    I'm still not convinced there actually was a WiFi "meltdown" at the iPhone 4 unveiling. What was Steve's hand position when he lost the signal?
  • Reply 2 of 145
    smiles77smiles77 Posts: 668member
    This is wicked awesome. So is AI going to provide a live stream of the live stream for the poor unfortunate PC users?



    --Sent from my iPad
  • Reply 3 of 145
    [QUOTE=AppleInsider;1704922] "Viewing requires either a Mac running Safari on Mac OS X version 10.6 Snow Leopard..."



    Why is 10.6 necessary to watch a live stream? That's a rotten shame.
  • Reply 4 of 145
    moxommoxom Posts: 326member
    6pm in the UK?
  • Reply 5 of 145
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,399member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post


    I'm still not convinced there actually was a WiFi "meltdown" at the iPhone 4 unveiling. What was Steve's hand position when he lost the signal?



    It was a Wi-Fi problem. 570 base stations equals pollution.
  • Reply 6 of 145
    dcj001dcj001 Posts: 301member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MoXoM View Post


    6pm in the UK?



    Yes it is.
  • Reply 7 of 145
    Anyone wondering why the stream will be available only on devices running 10.6 and iOS 3 and later? Could there be something new that is tailored to Apple operating systems? Why shut out the rest of the world? Interesting. Any ideas?
  • Reply 8 of 145
    justbobfjustbobf Posts: 261member
    So, Apple Insider and a hundred other blogs will still have it's own live coverage, resulting an another 570 base stations? So, what will be different? BTW, since Apple is going live, why doesn't Apple Insider give Apple a break...offer an intelligent analysis after the event?
  • Reply 9 of 145
    moxommoxom Posts: 326member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DCJ001 View Post


    Yes it is.



    Cool! Thanks for the confirmation



    I'm gonna have to try and sneak out of work early...
  • Reply 10 of 145
    olternautolternaut Posts: 1,376member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post


    Apple has announced that it will provide a public, live stream of Wednesday's keynote, which will be made available via the company's HTTP Live Streaming open standard to Mac and iOS device users.



    The Cupertino, Calif., company made the announcement as a media alert Tuesday evening. The live video stream will be available when the keynote begins Wednesday at 10 a.m. Pacific Time, 1 p.m. Eastern, at apple.com.



    "Apple will broadcast its September 1 event online using Apple's industry-leading HTTP Live Streaming, which is based on open standards," the company said. "Viewing requires either a Mac running Safari on Mac OS X version 10.6 Snow Leopard, an iPhone or iPod touch running iOS 3.0 or higher, or an iPad."



    Apple used to provide a webcast of its keynote events, but stopped doing so in 2005. This week's apparent change of heart could have been inspired by the Wi-Fi meltdown that occurred at the iPhone 4 unveiling, when Chief Executive Steve Jobs had difficulty showing off the company's latest handset because there were too many Wi-Fi hotspots in the Moscone Center.



    Jobs asked members in the audience if they could turn off their Wi-Fi devices, but many did not comply, and Jobs was unable to demonstrate some of the features of the iPhone 4. Jobs revealed there were 570 Wi-Fi base stations within the auditorium.



    Wednesday's keynote will be at a different location, San Francisco's Yerba Buena Center for the Arts. In addition to Apple's official live stream, AppleInsider will also have its own live coverage.



    What the living HELL??????
  • Reply 11 of 145
    smiles77smiles77 Posts: 668member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John H View Post


    Anyone wondering why the stream will be available only on devices running 10.6 and iOS 3 and later? Could there be something new that is tailored to Apple operating systems? Why shut out the rest of the world? Interesting. Any ideas?



    Only three ideas here. (1) they need some HTML5 streaming codec that is currently only available on those OS's (2) they're just testing the system for the first event and will open it up in later events or (3) it's just Apple showing preference to its users.
  • Reply 12 of 145
    smiles77smiles77 Posts: 668member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post


    What the living HELL??????



    Can I hear an amen?
  • Reply 13 of 145
    nkhmnkhm Posts: 928member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John H View Post


    Anyone wondering why the stream will be available only on devices running 10.6 and iOS 3 and later? Could there be something new that is tailored to Apple operating systems? Why shut out the rest of the world? Interesting. Any ideas?



    Yup. Html 5 streaming which requires the latest version of safari.
  • Reply 14 of 145
    olternautolternaut Posts: 1,376member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smiles77 View Post


    Can I hear an amen?



    A M E N ! !



    That was my unofficial request for a temporary insanity section.
  • Reply 15 of 145
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,597member
    I thought we would never return to these days. I will have to tune in now and I am OK limiting the users to basically iOS devices and 10.6 users.
  • Reply 16 of 145
    irelandireland Posts: 17,686member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post


    I'm still not convinced there actually was a WiFi "meltdown" at the iPhone 4 unveiling. What was Steve's hand position when he lost the signal?



    You're the man.
  • Reply 17 of 145
    olternautolternaut Posts: 1,376member
    Get this......



    This year at work the IT department is clamping down (as per the friggin management) and decided to firewall all internet streaming.



    Now of all times as Apple has miraculously decided to allow a livestream of their event!!!!!



    !!!!!ARGH!!!!!
  • Reply 18 of 145
    nhtnht Posts: 4,496member
    Well, okay, I'll be hitting apple.com at 1pm. This should be interesting to see how it turns out.
  • Reply 19 of 145
    (deleted)



    nht (above) just answered my question.
  • Reply 20 of 145
    Interesting that they should showcase live video streaming over HTML5 just after Flash becomes available for Android, and shows terrible performance. I'd bet a big part of their reasoning is to show the superiority of HTML5 video over flash for mobile devices
Sign In or Register to comment.