Apple's iOS 4.1 ships for iPhone next week, will add HDR photos

Comments

• Reply 21 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wealthychef View Post

Yeah, right. How about using actual heirarchical folders in Mail? I have hundreds of mail folders and they are in a neat compact heirarchy, except on my iPhone, where it is needed the most. On my phone, the folders are all laid out in a hokey expanded fashion, just horrible. I have to scroll to the ends of the earth to find a given mail folder. It's been years with this bug. I have zero faith that it was fixed, as there is maybe one Mail.app developer at Apple as far as I can tell, and he exists just to add stupid things like a To do list implemented as a mail folder. Wow, just like Microsoft Exchange! Make everything a mail folder!

Barf!

Hmmm, so is this actually a bug or a feature that you want? I would consider it a bug if it worked before the way you wanted it to in a previous iOS release and then broken in a subsequent release.
  • Reply 22 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by razorpit View Post

Remember, it's going to take 3 pictures in a fraction of a second. For the level of quality people tend to accept from cell phones they won't even notice the slight crop which will occur at the edges from misalignment when the images are put together.

The beauty is it happens instantly and you don't need to launch an app to do it.

you know what's sad? My girlfriend bought a $100.00 Nikon two weeks ago that had a 12 meg pix camera and 3.1 times zoom. My iphone 4 with 5 mega pixs and 5 times zoom eat that crap up in quality.

The iphone 4 has one of he best freaking cameras on a portable device I have ever seen.

And I can't wait to be able to stream my pictures from iphone to my new ipad(16 gig wifi+3G).
  • Reply 23 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Don't hold me to it, but I believe it's all handled as a series of rapid shots in succession, with automatic adjustments to the exposure. So, it might take 3 shots in a small fraction of a second.

Yes, in DSLR cameras you setup bracketing mode and between 3 and 9 shots are taken. Even though my Nikon D300 shoots 6FPS I still need to use a tripod to get the best results, but workable results in good light are possible handholding it. However, the iPhone 4 is much smaller and harder to hold steady.

And depending on the light, to get the overexposed shot the shutter may need to stay open for 1/10th of a second or longer, which could be hard to handhold.

I trust Apple put in some kind of great alignment algorithm into 4.1 to compensate for camera movement.

Either way, I am looking forward to trying it out! I already like making HDR shots with my Nikon ( http://jasoncollinphotography.com/blog/tag/hdr ), would be a bonus to be able to do it with my iPhone 4 as well.

Side note: I could no longer cope with the extreme slowness of my iPhone 3G with iOS 4 on it (and even before iOS for that matter) so just bit the bullet and got an iPhone 4 and now I finally LIKE having an iPhone. Bought mine from Radioshack and they some how gave me $64 in trade in for my old 3G which was scratched on the back (never used a case) and had an inch long crack on the back going perpendicular into the dock port. So for other 3G users/sufferers out there, the Radioshack trade-in deal is pretty good I think.
  • Reply 24 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Trajectory View Post

And will 4.1 fix all the problems with 3G iPhones as well? I noticed no mention of that at all. It's hard to get excited about new Apple products when the ones you have are causing so much grief.

Reading without comprehension is not really reading.
  • Reply 25 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wealthychef View Post

Yeah, right. How about using actual heirarchical folders in Mail? I have hundreds of mail folders and they are in a neat compact heirarchy, except on my iPhone, where it is needed the most. On my phone, the folders are all laid out in a hokey expanded fashion, just horrible. I have to scroll to the ends of the earth to find a given mail folder. It's been years with this bug. I have zero faith that it was fixed, as there is maybe one Mail.app developer at Apple as far as I can tell, and he exists just to add stupid things like a To do list implemented as a mail folder. Wow, just like Microsoft Exchange! Make everything a mail folder!

Barf!

You'd prefer a To-Do List in mbox format where it expands in the tens or hundreds of megabytes and if it pukes you have to edit it by hand?
  • Reply 26 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Newtron View Post

HDR looks good, but aren't there already tons of apps for that?

Game center is nothing I have any interest in.

I guess I will not be updating. Why bother?

Why not? It doesn't take away any functionality, and it's not like it takes all that long to do.
  • Reply 27 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

Unfortunately, having a job, I was only able to partially pay attention and either missed something or misheard something. Sorry to have offended thee.

No need to be snarky. You're the one that made a categorical statement as though you knew the facts, when you clearly didn't.
  • Reply 28 of 111
    cimcim Posts: 197member

Wi-Fi upload of HD video is in there.
  • Reply 29 of 111
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    It might have been a slip of the tongue, but when Jobs was talking about the iOS 4.2 "sneak peak", he said that the iPad would get the HDR photo feature. Which of course makes no sense unless the iPad gets a camera.

New iPad later this year, timed to coincide with 4.2?
  • Reply 30 of 111
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
  • Reply 31 of 111
  • Reply 32 of 111
    nkhmnkhm Posts: 928member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by samab View Post

I wonder how it would really work in real life because you need a tripod to shot the 3 photos --- otherwise they don't line up.

The three shots are taken at the same time. Surely that was obvious? (rather one shot is taken and three sets of exposure used, standard gating but done digitally.)
  • Reply 33 of 111
  • Reply 34 of 111
    nkhmnkhm Posts: 928member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jblenio View Post

This is BULLSHIT! When are they going to fix the terribly slow effect that IOS4 has on my 3G. And NO...I don't want a damn iPhone 4. I want them to fix the fucking OS so it works on the 3G, or provide an easy way to downgrade my OS back to 3.X

Bullshit...

thank you Einstein. While yr at it use itunes to perform a system reset on your phone.
  • Reply 35 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jblenio View Post

This is BULLSHIT! When are they going to fix the terribly slow effect that IOS4 has on my 3G. And NO...I don't want a damn iPhone 4. I want them to fix the fucking OS so it works on the 3G, or provide an easy way to downgrade my OS back to 3.X

Trolling? They already said this update would fix the 3g issues...
  • Reply 36 of 111
    The HDR function will align the images eliminating the need for a tripod. You still need a steady hand, though.

Pro HDR app does this already, basically you press the shutter, the app then scans the whole range of highs and lows and then takes two pictures and combines them. Not super quick by any means.

If Apple can do this in a simple point and click fashion, it will be fantastic.
  • Reply 37 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nkhm View Post

thank you Einstein. While yr at it use itunes to perform a system reset on your phone.

That is not a solution to the 3G iPhone problems. It's only temporary, like rebooting your computer will seem fast at first.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by S8ER01Z View Post

Trolling? They already said this update would fix the 3g issues...

Look people, the reason I and others have asked this question is because AppleInsider did not include this information in any of their reports here, and some of us aren't able to sit and watch an hour-long press conference in the middle of a work day. So, enough with the bitchy wise-ass comments to those asking. Either STFU or just answer the question without calling people stupid, ignorant or a troll.
  • Reply 38 of 111
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
  • Reply 39 of 111
    badtzbadtz Posts: 949member
    Will flash work with HDR?
  • Reply 40 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

It might have been a slip of the tongue, but when Jobs was talking about the iOS 4.2 "sneak peak", he said that the iPad would get the HDR photo feature. Which of course makes no sense unless the iPad gets a camera.

New iPad later this year, timed to coincide with 4.2?

That's the way I took it. Seems Steve tipped his hand, purposefully or not.