Apple's iOS 4.1 ships for iPhone next week, will add HDR photos

Comments

• Reply 41 of 111
    dcj001dcj001 Posts: 301member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by samab View Post

I wonder how it would really work in real life because you need a tripod to shot the 3 photos --- otherwise they don't line up.

I'm under the impression that the three photos are taken so quickly together as to appear that they are taken simultaneously.
  • Reply 42 of 111
    dcj001dcj001 Posts: 301member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pooch View Post

isn't "camera" an app that needs to be launched? or is all i have to do now is think about it to make it happen?

That feature is coming in iOS 4.3 next year.
  • Reply 43 of 111
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Epic Citadel was trully epic. It was probably the best looking game I've seen on any mobile gaming device.
  • Reply 44 of 111
    oomuoomu Posts: 130member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Trajectory View Post

That is not a solution to the 3G iPhone problems. It's only temporary, like rebooting your computer will seem fast at first.

Look people, the reason I and others have asked this question is because AppleInsider did not include this information in any of their reports here, and some of us aren't able to sit and watch an hour-long press conference in the middle of a work day. So, enough with the bitchy wise-ass comments to those asking. Either STFU or just answer the question without calling people stupid, ignorant or a troll.

"And will 4.1 fix all the problems with 3G iPhones as well? I noticed no mention of that at all. It's hard to get excited about new Apple products when the ones you have are causing so much grief.

"

you have no excuse. you asked a question but immediately you go to grief and whatever. don't be surprised. You can continue to be all holier than everyone and pissed.
  • Reply 45 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Don't hold me to it, but I believe it's all handled as a series of rapid shots in succession, with automatic adjustments to the exposure. So, it might take 3 shots in a small fraction of a second.

As the sensor doesn't physically change, I think they might have the camera take the basic shot and interpret it at the three settings, compare, mix and present.

Dunno. Justa thought.
  • Reply 46 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post

Epic Citadel was trully epic. It was probably the best looking game I've seen on any mobile gaming device.

This wasn't mentioned in the article, but I thought people here might like to know that Epic Citadel is currently free on iTunes.
  • Reply 47 of 111
  • Reply 48 of 111
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

No need to be snarky. You're the one that made a categorical statement as though you knew the facts, when you clearly didn't.

I did indeed make a mistake and said as much. He took offence and was 'snarky'. I apologized for my having offended him. Seems other are as sensitive. As he said (and you seemed to find acceptable), try to keep up.
  • Reply 49 of 111
  • Reply 50 of 111
    nkhmnkhm Posts: 928member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Newtron View Post

HDR looks good, but aren't there already tons of apps for that?

Game center is nothing I have any interest in.

I guess I will not be updating. Why bother?

Better display, better battery life, two cameras. HD video. Face time...

Were you watching the same keynote?
  • Reply 51 of 111
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by oxygenhose View Post

Those of us who took the time to watch the press conference, now don't have the time to explain it to you. Go read a press release dipshit.

Is everyone in personal attack mode today?
  • Reply 52 of 111
  • Reply 53 of 111
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,521member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by samab View Post

I wonder how it would really work in real life because you need a tripod to shot the 3 photos --- otherwise they don't line up.

My hunch is that it probably makes three rapid electronic sweeps of the focal plane sensor. Even shaky hands shouldn't have time to cause registration problems.

Thompson
  • Reply 54 of 111
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    How about giving us a "Mark All Read" option in Mail?
  • Reply 55 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

He revealed that the new feature will take three rapid photos -- one regular, one underexposed and one overexposed. When the pictures are combined, it creates an HDR photo.

Good luck with no tripod. I guess this is a "Bright sunlight ONLY" feature. And even then, the crummy little camera is unlikely to take 3 snaps in a small enough amount of time so the camera doesn't move even a millimeter.

And besides, aren't there lots of HDR apps already?

This seems bizarre to me that Apple would do this.
  • Reply 56 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by razorpit View Post

Remember, it's going to take 3 pictures in a fraction of a second. For the level of quality people tend to accept from cell phones they won't even notice the slight crop which will occur at the edges from misalignment when the images are put together.

"Good Enough"?
  • Reply 57 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Booga View Post

It's also free. Why WOULDN'T you upgrade?

Because it will screw up the phone. And it offers nothing that interests me. I'd have to give up too much in order to get stuff that strikes me as fluff.
  • Reply 58 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Don't hold me to it, but I believe it's all handled as a series of rapid shots in succession, with automatic adjustments to the exposure. So, it might take 3 shots in a small fraction of a second.

Many people have trouble taking even one photo without blur. Especially holding a slippery little phone at arm's length.
  • Reply 59 of 111
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

I want it! The iPhone 4's camera is already uncommonly good for a phone camera!

Outdoors, yes. Indoors, a lot of shots have weird color problems, particularly with fluorescent lighting. Often, it doesn't try to auto white balance incandescent shots.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by coolcat View Post

Did you NOT watch the presentation? iPod touch get front AND rear camera's....sheesh! Keep up

Some people have to work. I chose to work.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by thompr View Post

My hunch is that it probably makes three rapid electronic sweeps of the focal plane sensor. Even shaky hands shouldn't have time to cause registration problems.

There is still exposure time. Indoors, or at dawn/dusk, you're going to need some way to hold it steady. A shot that would be 1/100 for a single frame, might be comprised of 1/50, 1/100 and 1/200, for combined exposure time of about 1/28 in HDR. Even if they do some sort of trickery where they don't blank the sensor and take a copy of the sensor image at certain points (I'm not sure this is feasible, just conjecture), or combine four 1/200 shots, that would still add up to a 1/50 exposure, a lot more room for shake.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

Is everyone in personal attack mode today?

I don't get it either, I cleaned up a lot of unnecessary profanity and attacks. If people want to rack up infractions, then there they go, there's plenty to go around.
  • Reply 60 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Newtron View Post

Many people have trouble taking even one photo without blur. Especially holding a slippery little phone at arm's length.

How difficult is it to hold the phone and point it for a fraction of a second? I'm not seeing the point of your comment.