Apple's iOS 4.1 ships for iPhone next week, will add HDR photos

Comments

• Reply 61 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pooch View Post

sorry for being obtuse (and i admit i didn't watch the entire presentation) but isn't "camera" an app that needs to be launched? or is all i have to do now is think about it to make it happen?

Yes. The crappy little built-in app has a new feature. But otherwise, it remains vastly inferior to many other camera apps.
  • Reply 62 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Why not? It doesn't take away any functionality, and it's not like it takes all that long to do.

Because it will screw up the phone royally. And there is no compelling reason to mess around.
  • Reply 63 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nkhm View Post

The three shots are taken at the same time. Surely that was obvious?

How do they do that? Do they split the image with a prism and shine it onto 3 image sensors? Do you really know anything about this topic? Or did you just make up some sort of answer?

At the same time? HOW?
  • Reply 64 of 111
    djrumpydjrumpy Posts: 1,116member
    I suspect they will just use the same photo at 3 different exposures with an extra long exposure 'session' of sorts. This isn't like an old camera where they had a physical shutter. They can easily save 3 images from the same 'exposure'.

Imagine a picture being taken, but instead of 3 distinct click and save events, they simply keep collecting photons (much like a video), while saving images from the stream at 3 points during the session (sorry if this is hard to visualize)

The first photo being the 'fast shutter speed' & save while continuing to collect sensor data and then save again for the "mid" exposure while continuing to collect image data, and finally, save the last (overexposed) file with the longest amount of 'shutter' time as the 3rd file.

Then stack the images. This stacking has been done for years by amateur astronomy buffs to collect more photons and to reduce signal to noise ratio. They could tweak image settings from 1st to 2nd to 3rd save and accomplish it all in the length of the longest exposure if they use some clever manipulation. My only question here is if they can stabilize the image, even over that fraction of a second. When you use this in Astronomy, you can stack hundreds of photos so you have much more flexibility.
  • Reply 65 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DCJ001 View Post

I'm under the impression that the three photos are taken so quickly together as to appear that they are taken simultaneously.

The phone cameras already have lots of problems in low light conditions. ISTM that certain of the problems will triple in magnitude, like camera shake induced blur.

Appears simultaneous? To who?
  • Reply 66 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

How difficult is it to hold the phone and point it for a fraction of a second? I'm not seeing the point of your comment.

Ask Aunt Millie how hard it is. Her pics suck.

As do most people's. Especially when using phones that require long exposures compared to a device with a good lens.

And HDR photos take MORE than 3 times as long to expose.

I'm prepared to be amazed. But I expect that this will work about as well (HA!) as Apple's Voice Command feature.
  • Reply 67 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Newtron View Post

As do most people's. Especially when using phones that require long exposures compared to a device with a good lens.

I'm prepared to be amazed. But I expect that this will work about as well (HA!) as Apple's Voice Command feature.

Depends. If they use stacking, they can just align the photos assuming there isn't a lot of motion going on. Depending on the number of samples, they can choose the 'best 3' to get a good pic, even with a bit of shaking going on.

http://webpages.charter.net/darksky2.../stacking.html

http://www.djcash.demon.co.uk/astro/...HowItsDone.htm

I don't know how fast the speed of the sensor is, and I suspect a dark shot will take a lot longer and be much more prone to blur.
  • Reply 68 of 111
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Newtron View Post

Plenty of dedicated cameras have smaller apertures.

Quote:

Mostly correct, depending on how it is done, it could be twice the time or almost four times the time. If it stacks "grabs" of the same exposure, then expect twice the time. If it stacks separate, sequential exposures, then it's nearly four times longer in total.

Quote:

I don't use voice command but I don't see where it has hurt the rest of the phone's functions.
  • Reply 69 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Mostly correct, depending on how it is done, it could be twice the time or almost four times the time. If it stacks "grabs" of the same exposure, then expect twice the time. If it stacks separate, sequential exposures, then it's nearly four times longer in total.

I wonder if they will just tweak the image settings for the same image for 3 different images and then stack them, or actually take 3 distinct frames?
  • Reply 70 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DJRumpy View Post

I wonder if they will just tweak the image settings for the same image for 3 different images and then stack them, or actually take 3 distinct frames?

My understanding of HDR is that it requires three separate exposures.
  • Reply 71 of 111
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

I don't know, all my comments are conjecture. I think there are a couple other workable ways to do it too. I'd like to hear an iOS developer's comments on it. Whatever method Apple uses might be better than what the third party program can achieve, I seem to recall developers don't get direct access to the sensor.
  • Reply 72 of 111
    Nice of Jobs NOT to say that HDR is an iPhone 4 only feature.
  • Reply 73 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by libertyforall View Post

Nice of Jobs NOT to say that HDR is an iPhone 4 only feature.

Their implementation of it may be but not the idea in general. There are tons of ways to carve up a turkey so to speak. I'm psyched about this as I've seen what stacking can do first hand. All of the stacking software offerings I've used have been community offerings without paid developers behind it so I'm very curious as to what Apple does with their implementation of it.

I'm just wondering if they will shoot a short video while tweaking the exposure live. Most pictures are taken with a set exposure, as are videos (generally speaking). If they tweaked the exposure 'live' so to speak while capturing three frames they could still get 3 pics in a very short amount of time.

If they use a single pic and just tweak the exposure and then stack it, they avoid the time-blurring effect altogether.

In any case..can't wait to see it.
  • Reply 74 of 111
    I'm curious how the Sep. 8th date was obtained--it was never mentioned in the article.

Overall, I'm really impressed with everything. I can't wait until 4.2 hits my iPad in November.
  • Reply 75 of 111
    Quote:

Depends. If they use stacking, they can just align the photos assuming there isn't a lot of motion going on. Depending on the number of samples, they can choose the 'best 3' to get a good pic, even with a bit of shaking going on.

http://webpages.charter.net/darksky2.../stacking.html

http://www.djcash.demon.co.uk/astro/...HowItsDone.htm

Very cool stuff. Thanks.
  • Reply 76 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I don't use voice command but I don't see where it has hurt the rest of the phone's functions.

I don't think it has huit the rest of the phone's functions.

But it is a badly implemented mess. I had better voice command on my ancient Motorola.
  • Reply 77 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

As the sensor doesn't physically change, I think they might have the camera take the basic shot and interpret it at the three settings, compare, mix and present.

Dunno. Justa thought.

I think you might be right
  • Reply 78 of 111
    Quote:

If they use a single pic and just tweak the exposure and then stack it, they avoid the time-blurring effect altogether.

In any case..can't wait to see it.

I hope it works well. It's hard to believe that they would feature it at the keynote if it were a POS.
  • Reply 79 of 111
    enzosenzos Posts: 344member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by samab View Post

I wonder how it would really work in real life because you need a tripod to shot the 3 photos --- otherwise they don't line up.

The iPhone now has accelerometers and gyros. Think about it.
  • Reply 80 of 111
    I've been asking a photographer friend about HDR, since he's been using it actively for a couple of years now for his work. He tells me that it can be done hand-held but that nothing in the scene should be moving, and you can combine pretty much as many images as you want, but normally three -- one under, one over, one on exposure.