Apple's iOS 4.1 ships for iPhone next week, will add HDR photos

Comments

• Reply 81 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

you can combine pretty much as many images as you want, but normally three -- one under, one over, one on exposure.

As several folks here have suggested, it's quite possible to derive 3 separate exposures from 1 actual image capture.

The data the camera sensor records is akin to a RAW file created by a DSLR camera. They contain much more information and/or latitude than a JPEG file from the same camera can display.

It wouldn't really be so difficult for the software to bracket 3 different exposures from the RAW sensor data and combine them, creating an HDR image. I've done this with Photoshop on more than one occasion.

I don't think it's required that an "HDR" image be created from 2, 3, or more separate images, only that it display a High Dynamic Range, how you actually do that is irrelevant to the end result.

It's all speculation at this point though - We'll have to wait and see how it's implemented. It should be fairly easy to see if it's done with 3 consecutive exposures or derived from one.
  • Reply 82 of 111
    nkhmnkhm Posts: 928member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

How about giving us a "Mark All Read" option in Mail?

Have you submitted this feature request to Apple - that would be the best place to start...
  • Reply 83 of 111
    Quote:

That's the way I took it. Seems Steve tipped his hand, purposefully or not.

Nope, i think it was one of Steve's many slips - at one point he constantly referred to the iPod touch as 'the phone' - also have to say he was looking very pale, very tired and incredible thin again. Did anyone else note he actually referred to a notebook on the desk at one point as he seemed to need a prompt - I've never seen him make so many fluffs before during a keynote. He really didn't seem himself.
  • Reply 84 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by badtz View Post

Will flash work with HDR?

No reason why not - one pic is taken, three sets of exposure applied to the one exposure. under, regular, over. Not sure why people are having so much difficulty with this - using gating/multiple exposure settings from one click is nothing new in photography.
  • Reply 85 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Newtron View Post

Because it will screw up the phone. And it offers nothing that interests me. I'd have to give up too much in order to get stuff that strikes me as fluff.

Performance improvements are fluff?
  • Reply 86 of 111
    Quote:

Yes. The crappy little built-in app has a new feature. But otherwise, it remains vastly inferior to many other camera apps.

Really - touch focus, HDR and ease of use make this an inferior app? Try out the android app I have to put up with on my HTC. That sucks. The iPhone camera is one of the best camera phones out there and it's images are consistently better than rival camera phones.
  • Reply 87 of 111
    Quote:

How do they do that? Do they split the image with a prism and shine it onto 3 image sensors? Do you really know anything about this topic? Or did you just make up some sort of answer?

At the same time? HOW?

The light data is captured digitally, then three files are recorded with different settings applied to them and an algorithm used to combine the highest contrast element aspects from each of the three resulting digital images - like gating on an SLR, but with automatic integration of the 'best' of the three. I'd imagine it scans the images and uses clipping data to spot the problem areas.

I'm a professional photographer and have been for 18 years - what's your background/knowledge on this subject?
  • Reply 88 of 111
    Quote:

Ask Aunt Millie how hard it is. Her pics suck.

As do most people's. Especially when using phones that require long exposures compared to a device with a good lens.

And HDR photos take MORE than 3 times as long to expose.

I'm prepared to be amazed. But I expect that this will work about as well (HA!) as Apple's Voice Command feature.

You don't know what you're talking about, you're either trolling or a little bit thick. Sorry, but it seems obvious reading down your posts. HDR photos take MORE than 3 times as long to expose? Utter nonsense.
  • Reply 89 of 111
    Quote:

My understanding of HDR is that it requires three separate exposures.

Only on a film camera or older DSLR that doesn't capture raw data.
  • Reply 90 of 111
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nkhm View Post

There has to be more to the requirements than that. I have two SLRs and two ILCs that capture raw but they don't have a built-in HDR function. Only one of them is more than 2 years old. They don't seem to have any provision to pull out three shots from a single exposure. Exposure bracketing gets me three shutter actuations, not three files out of the same exposure..
  • Reply 91 of 111
    Quote:

Performance improvements are fluff?

No. The new features are fluff. The performance stuff doesn't apply to my 3GS.
  • Reply 92 of 111
    Quote:

Really - touch focus, HDR and ease of use make this an inferior app? .

No, that is not what makes it an inferior app.

Try some alternatives. The App Store is chock-a-block with them.
  • Reply 93 of 111
    djrumpydjrumpy Posts: 1,116member
    Quote:

No. The new features are fluff. The performance stuff doesn't apply to my 3GS.

There actually some tweaks to the A2DP (bluetooth stereo) profile that I've been waiting for.
  • Reply 94 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by calfoto View Post

As several folks here have suggested, it's quite possible to derive 3 separate exposures from 1 actual image capture.

The data the camera sensor records is akin to a RAW file created by a DSLR camera. They contain much more information and/or latitude than a JPEG file from the same camera can display.

It wouldn't really be so difficult for the software to bracket 3 different exposures from the RAW sensor data and combine them, creating an HDR image. I've done this with Photoshop on more than one occasion.

I don't think it's required that an "HDR" image be created from 2, 3, or more separate images, only that it display a High Dynamic Range, how you actually do that is irrelevant to the end result.

It's all speculation at this point though - We'll have to wait and see how it's implemented. It should be fairly easy to see if it's done with 3 consecutive exposures or derived from one.

Thanks for the info. Right, we'll just have to wait and see. Of course Apple's method may be "magic" in that it won't be evident to the user how it's being done. I'd expect that kind of implementation from Apple, actually.

Quote:

Nope, i think it was one of Steve's many slips - at one point he constantly referred to the iPod touch as 'the phone' - also have to say he was looking very pale, very tired and incredible thin again. Did anyone else note he actually referred to a notebook on the desk at one point as he seemed to need a prompt - I've never seen him make so many fluffs before during a keynote. He really didn't seem himself.

Ah. Well, I haven't seen the video of the event yet.

Quote:

I will have to ask my photographer friend about it, but this is not how he explained HDR when I asked yesterday. He works in 100% digital and camera raw files, and combines them in Photoshop to create the HDR image. I trust his knowledge since he's been doing this for a couple of years now and has been making some remarkable images with HDR.
  • Reply 95 of 111
    Well, anything on iPhone 3G performance on iOS 4.1?
  • Reply 96 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wealthychef View Post

Yeah, right. How about using actual heirarchical folders in Mail? I have hundreds of mail folders and they are in a neat compact heirarchy, except on my iPhone, where it is needed the most. On my phone, the folders are all laid out in a hokey expanded fashion, just horrible. I have to scroll to the ends of the earth to find a given mail folder. It's been years with this bug. I have zero faith that it was fixed, as there is maybe one Mail.app developer at Apple as far as I can tell, and he exists just to add stupid things like a To do list implemented as a mail folder. Wow, just like Microsoft Exchange! Make everything a mail folder!

Barf!

The lack of a feature that you'd like to see is not a 'bug'.
  • Reply 97 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by striker_kk View Post

Well, anything on iPhone 3G performance on iOS 4.1?

Watch the keynote - Jobs states clearly and specifically that iPhone 3G performance will be improved.

Although I still don't get why new software is being optimised for legacy hardware. Most manufacturers wouldn't bother - particularly HTC where Android 2 and it's "old" phones are concerned (I made the mistake of buying a top of the line HTC two days before android 2 came out to then be told that my device couldn't run it).

There's certainly no expectation when buying technology for it to be updated a year down the line with a brand new OS (rather than a point update) and also have it optimised and tweaked for the older hardware at zero cost.

Good on Apple for doing this, but it just gives people further reason to complain, when they should appreciate Apple making the effort when none of Apple's competitors do the same.
  • Reply 98 of 111
    Quote:

Thanks for the info. Right, we'll just have to wait and see. Of course Apple's method may be "magic" in that it won't be evident to the user how it's being done. I'd expect that kind of implementation from Apple, actually.

Ah. Well, I haven't seen the video of the event yet.

I will have to ask my photographer friend about it, but this is not how he explained HDR when I asked yesterday. He works in 100% digital and camera raw files, and combines them in Photoshop to create the HDR image. I trust his knowledge since he's been doing this for a couple of years now and has been making some remarkable images with HDR.

I'm sure he has. However this is an automated software procedure, not a professional output solution. What I told you is correct, it's nothing new and many cheap digital cameras on the market already take it. One shot - three files. It's really nothing complicated to understand. The "RAW" data is tweaked three ways internally, and the files combined. Two files are then outputted, the image as it would be originally processed and the 'improved' image.
  • Reply 99 of 111
    It'll really get interesting once the photo app incorporates instant rack focus for close up and macro shots. Then after a little post-processing magic, you'd be able to set your focal length AFTER the shot's already been taken!
  • Reply 100 of 111
    Quote:

I'm sure he has. However this is an automated software procedure, not a professional output solution. What I told you is correct, it's nothing new and many cheap digital cameras on the market already take it. One shot - three files. It's really nothing complicated to understand. The "RAW" data is tweaked three ways internally, and the files combined. Two files are then outputted, the image as it would be originally processed and the 'improved' image.

I assume you are referring to the upcoming iPhone method being automated. Probably, yes. I am only relating what a photographer friend told me about the process he uses now. He takes three frames (or more possibly sometimes -- I will have to ask) with different exposures and combines them in Photoshop. Not one raw image tweaked three ways in the camera, though I am not doubting that this is done also. Interesting what you say about a "professional output solution." This same friend is really jazzed by his iPhone camera, which I doubt many photographers would call "professional" equipment. But then he also got great photographs out of plastic toy cameras, back when he was still doing film.