Apple reveals new cloud-centric Apple TV

Comments

• Reply 181 of 378
    This new AppleTV is a SUPER, HUGE DISAPPOINTMENT. Ever since AppleTV first came out, even before the iPhone app store, I've thought AppleTV needed apps and would come along eventually. SO STUPID not to create a device with apps!!!!! GRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've had an AppleTV since it was first released and I love it, by the way, just want one with apps already. Boxee gets it. Why doesn't Apple?
  • Reply 182 of 378
    Wow it's National Troll Day and no one told me ?!?!?!?
  • Reply 183 of 378
    I think this a nice, but not great upgrade. The big changes:

? $99 price point

? Netflix streaming

? 99 cent rentals

For many people, this is a compelling alternative to cable or satellite. What they are missing are more content providers and live events. Fulfill those two things and you have a viable product for a very wide audience.

Keep in mind that today's keynote was a live stream. I think Apple is testing the waters for eventually adding live events to Apple TV. It played instantly and held up very well for me. That's what the data center in NC is for.

For people that watch a moderate amount of TV/Movies, this is a step in the right direction. If you watch several hours a day, nothing is going to beat cable and a DVR unless Apple works out a subscription package.

I wouldn't be surprised if this is running iOS under the hood. I expect that Apple will offer apps on ATV at some point in the future, and that will make it an easier transition. I'm sure we'll find out soon after it's released what's running underneath.
  • Reply 184 of 378
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    So I'm assuming all the naysayers agree that the Roku Netflix box is horrible and wrong and useless?

Because for an additional $30 over their HD box, I can have computer content access, AirPlay from my iPhone or iPad, and access to the iTunes store.

Which I consider a pretty excellent deal, so I'll be picking one up.

Oh, and for anyone thinking that Netflix access and setup is a trivial me-too feature, try picking up a Samsung Blu-Ray player with internet and getting it online with an Apple base station. It's why you can always pick one up as an open box item at Best Buy-- people buy them assuming Netflix streaming is only going to be a few selections away, and discover it's an unbelievable pain in the ass.
  • Reply 185 of 378
    pt123pt123 Posts: 696member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pondosinatra View Post

The point of what I said is we're moving away from physical ownership of things which is a bad thing. Not sure how that wasn't clear...

At $5 for each rental, going away from ownership is bad. Unless the goal is to get us to watch less TV.
  • Reply 186 of 378
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sandor View Post

what content can be streamed from other iOS devices?

can the Netflix app stream to the AppleTV? Does your iPhone become the remote + apps for the AppleTV?

Streaming content from my iPhone would be cool, but I really don't care. Why would the netflix app need to stream to the Apple TV---it's already integrated directly. Having my phone be my remote is awesome, though.
  • Reply 187 of 378
    julesjules Posts: 149member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

Just saw the pricing too. US - $99. UK - £99.

Since when was the exchange rate $1=£1? I know Apple always screw us over here in the UK, but this is a new low point.

Couldn't agree more.
  • Reply 188 of 378
    ... but it doesn't quite do it for me. It's a nice media extender with a lovely interface, but there are already media extenders galore, and I was holding out for a way of ditching cable (we have lousy broadcast reception) with one small box.

Simply adding hulu in the US (and alternatives such as iPlayer overseas) would do it for me; ad-supported TV I'm fine with. It's not that I'm against a payment model. Without advertising, someone's got to pay somewhere. Apple's 99c for episodes at higher quality and no adverts is a fair price, and fine "as an option", but I can't see why they didn't allow for cloud-based purchasing as it would increase revenues even more, surely? Having apple TV for cloud-based rental, and computers with iTunes and downloads for purchase just seems crazy; why not let purchased items be viewed from the cloud too? I don't want to have to run a computer AND apple TV to watch purchased shows; might as well just plug the computer straight in. I can't help but think that they rushed this just to beat Google TV there, and in doing so have provided something that is just waiting to be blasted out of the water.

Agreed with others that, at $99, it's not a surprise that it falls short of expectations. Still, I'd have paid double that had it offered full Hulu+Netflix+iTunes capability. If they could sort out the purchase model and somehow bring CBS onboard plus some of the cable channels too (Showtime & HBO rentals for anyone?), that would just be the icing on the cake.

Disappointment from me, and the hope that at least hulu will be added to save an otherwise lovely little piece of hardware.

-k
  • Reply 189 of 378
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gijoeinla View Post

To me the app store on this device is just too soon. Apple is not "stupid" they can roll put the app store not only on this device but on it's PC's as well. Some of u expect "all at once" from Apple. C'mon

people. Apple not bringing the App store to this device is because of it's "impact" on other devices like the BRAND NEW iPad! God, be patient. You realize that once touch users will be able to play games on their TV via an app store on the Atv touch users will have a gaming remote...

"noted" word from the keynote- the touch is now the #1 gaming device in terms of sales. Plus the demo...

Where was I impatient? All I said was that I was dissapointed that there wasn't an app store.

Instead of lecturing me on being patient, consider what I just suggested. Air Play and third party apps.

You buy an app on your iPhone and you can either watch the video on your iPhone or stream it to Apple TV through Air Play. It's a really SIMPLE concept that requires no changes to the Apple TV that was just introduced and it would be great for games or video.

I'm just waiting for 4.2 or news on whether or not Air Play will be restricted to iTunes media only on iOS.
  • Reply 190 of 378
    cimcim Posts: 197member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brit120666 View Post

I still don't think Apple is being serious about the AppleTV. Just making it smaller with no real storage and only able to stream content and rent content - not impressed. Even though they have dropped the price to $99 - I still think this will continue to be a "hobby". As for 99 cents rentals - I have a DVR. I was really hoping for an iPhone 4.0 type OS with internet access and Apps. I will keep my current model.

Why would a streaming box need storage?

Think before you post.
  • Reply 191 of 378
    The biggest keys for me are the following:

For TV:

I have cable and pay through the nose for it. However I rarely watch it, but liked the ability to watch things when I wanted. With AppleTV I can bypass the cable subscription and rent just what I want to watch and save money in the process. Cool. The biggest question is "When are the other TV studios going to step up?"

For Movies:

I am a Bluray snob. I have 1080p and an amazing surround setup so this doesn't work well for me. Cable doesn't work for me either because the reolution and sound is so weak. HOWEVER, there are always those secondary movies that I would be interested in watching on a whim if it were a piece of cake. AppleTV bakes the cake.
  • Reply 192 of 378
    Well, I like it, but I can see that it's got limitations for a lot of people. If you don't watch much TV, if they get enough content at 99c per go, it's going to work out way cheaper than your cable subscription, but it all depends on them being able to get enough content so that you can cancel your TV sub (and not have Comcast jack up the price of your internet as punishment).

The only thing I don't like is it's bold claim on the website that, "when it’s not filling your living room with drama, romance, and comedy, it uses less power than a night-light." Technology that's not being used should use zero power. I love Apples clean industrial design, but honestly, is a mechanical off button really that bad?
  • Reply 193 of 378
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleZilla View Post

720p. FAIL!

When will Apple adopt true HD instead of this cheap knockoff?

Maybe when it doesn't cost an arm and a leg to download 1080P movies. I would only be allowed to download about 1 and a half 1080p movies per month with my cap.
  • Reply 194 of 378
    The worst thing about the new Apple TV is that it offers absolutely no reason for current Apple TV owners to upgrade their hardware; Netflix streaming is the only real addition, and nearly everyone already has that capability thru either a game console, blu-ray player or their television itself. Apple's still asking people to pay for a box so they can buy content from Apple. And for anyone thinking this can somehow replace their cable package, have fun with those five shows from ABC and Fox.
  • Reply 195 of 378
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cory Bauer View Post

The worst thing about the new Apple TV is that it offers absolutely nothing in terms of improvements for current Apple TV owners; Netflix streaming is the only real addition, and nearly everyone already has that capability thru either a game console, blu-ray player or their television itself. Apple's still asking people to pay for a box so they can buy content from Apple.

I don't have a problem with that. My Apple TV is 3 years old - technology goes obsolete unfortunately.
  • Reply 196 of 378
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by archer75 View Post

Not paying 99 cents to rent a show that are freely available over the air.

Right now on Dish Network's HD only package we pay $36/month. Renting shows at 99 each(not to mention only in 720p) would cost us WAY more than what we pay to dish.

Now I would be happy to use it to stream from my server as I do now on my HTPC but it's going to need to support 1080p, more containers, video formats and bitstream HD audio.

So for me, it's a useless device.

Okay, great. That's awesome for you. But, this product was built for people who will find it "useful". Your Dish cost's are good. I get it. My cable bill is $77/month. Not good. I might watch 10-15 shows per month. That's $15 maximum. Less then half of what you're paying. Hence, this product is built for me. Why the selfish, narrow point of view hate?
  • Reply 197 of 378
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

Just saw the pricing too. US - $99. UK - £99.

Since when was the exchange rate $1=£1? I know Apple always screw us over here in the UK, but this is a new low point.

Think: VAT. I did consumer electronics for an unrelated company, and we always had problems with pricing things in Europe vs. the US, Apple is hardly alone in this.
  • Reply 198 of 378
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

Yes, your iPad will lose complete functionality... or not.

You are familiar with the fact that tapping the screen brings up the video controls that are normally hidden right? I assume it's the same with video out, you could test it now with a video cable. I'm sure Air Play will function in a similar manner.

Yes, but to give a preso you need to see the content as well as control it on the iPad-- for example: keynote displaying content on the large screen, while you look at the next content (and your notes), as well as the controls on the small screen; or you highlight something on the small screen and the highlight is displayed on the large screen.

I don't believe it can do that!

• Reply 199 of 378
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LuisDias View Post

It's always nice to see the morons who talked about the "iOS" coming to the Apple TV and "how great it would be" to have touch TVs or some kind of pointer device that worked with the TVs, now scrambling with disappointment that Apple didn't abide to their insane designs!

Where's their apology right now? Well in the same place where their pride is ahah.

People who have advanced technology ideas are now named "morons"? Ouch.
  • Reply 200 of 378
    It is only a matter or time before this aTV is hacked so you can stream files from your Airport at home (like I do now), run Boxee faster (like I do now) and even connect a HD, Keyboard and mouse. I do not think he mentioned if it is running iOS or a modified version of OSX like the current aTV (which is my guess).

I'll get it because once hacked, it will be an upgrade to what I have now. I only get basic cable and Boxee, Netflix or rip the movies I want to see. I only need basic cable to see the news (and ESPN) anyway.

Rippey