Apple reveals new cloud-centric Apple TV

Comments

• Reply 141 of 378
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Rant is deleted
  • Reply 142 of 378
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pondosinatra View Post

I really don't like the direction things are moving in......used to be able to actually buy CD's which had better quality sound.....now you download them and hope your drive doesn't crash or they change the DRM requirements bricking your library overnight.

Used to be able to go to a store and buy a DVD.....now you rent them and forever lose the benefit of actually owning the item. If all we could do is rent you'd never be able to see the unaltered versions of Stars Wars or see ET before Spielberg changed the guns to lollypops.....any film considered controversial or subversive might not be available at all or would be edited etc.

We are slowly giving away our rights.

That's pretty funny. You don't have "right" to any of this stuff. It costs money to make, and the content providers have to find a way to make it work for them so they can continue to provide their content. Everything costs something.
  • Reply 143 of 378
    Now if they could somehow do Live Event Streaming for sports, etc I would probably cancel my DirecTv.
  • Reply 144 of 378
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I understand the home streaming from iDevice or Mac to AppleTV. That's a nice capability.

The at work use: streaming presos from an iPad to a HDTV seems very interesting until you examine it more closely,'

From what I saw demoed, once you hit the stream button on the iPad, the iPad screen turned black. I assume that the iPad (or iPhone, or iPod Touch) is occupied full-time streaming content and can no longer be used as a controller-- or at best a play/pause/stop controller.

So, do you need another remote or iDevice to act as a remote?

Yes, your iPad will lose complete functionality... or not.

You are familiar with the fact that tapping the screen brings up the video controls that are normally hidden right? I assume it's the same with video out, you could test it now with a video cable. I'm sure Air Play will function in a similar manner.
  • Reply 145 of 378
    nkhmnkhm Posts: 928member
    There's no 1080 output because there is no 1080 content to stream. Simple enough to understand. Bandwidth limits, speed of connection required. You can't criticise something for not playing content that doesn't exist.
  • Reply 146 of 378
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BobbyB3 View Post

Now if they could somehow do Live Event Streaming for sports, etc I would probably cancel my DirecTv.

iOS app + Air Play

That is all I want.
  • Reply 147 of 378
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,069member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Market_Player View Post

I do not ever watch anything live on TV anymore and this little guy is just the ticket to cancel my cable and purchase season passes for the three shows I enjoy watching though iTunes.... Hello Apple TV & Netflix; good bye $936.00 a year in cable cost.

My sentiments as well. This is cool. I do hope the content and pricing for the new AppleTV will be the same on my existing AppleTV? IOW, will I see a new update for the AppleTV software when I get home tonight?
  • Reply 148 of 378
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FredAppleHead View Post

I can one up you dude. I market HDTV video chips and my first Sony HD RPTV's resolution was in fact 1080i so it took 480i/480p/520p signals and scaled them to 1080i.

You know, as I was thinking about it, it occurred to me that the only way your statement could be true is if you were talking about analog CRTs. Was your HD RPTV a CRT-based model? Also, did you mean 720p and not 520p?
  • Reply 149 of 378
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Newtron View Post

Apple customers want convenience. Simplicity. Cache and style.

Or we're just informed enough to know that iTunes already got rid of music DRM years ago.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by pondosinatra View Post

Hey genius, did you miss the part where I said 'the direction things are moving in'?

Nope - but how is going from DRM to no DRM moving in that direction? You talked about DRM bricking your music, there is no more DRM on music so you're just imagining a paranoid situation that doesn't exist.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

My WDTV Live streams just fine from my Mac using a program called Playback.

Does it include all the itunes features like ratings and smart playlists?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by pik80 View Post

There is a lot of content that I would prefer to own rather then rent (mainly music videos that I watch over and over again.) They will probably do that because bringing the iOS to the Apple TV makes sense and you need a hard drive for that.

You still don't need a hard drive on the device itself - you can still buy on the mac/pc and it will be stored there (which I'd vastly prefer, as long as streaming is seamless).
  • Reply 150 of 378
    pt123pt123 Posts: 696member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FredAppleHead View Post

Yes but Apple has way more iTunes users than Roku/Netflix subs...

But are they movie/TV show iTunes users? Since we are discussing Appletv.
  • Reply 151 of 378
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,898member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post

I think it still misses the mark if you ask me.

What I want is a single unit that is a whole house DVR and allows me to stream media to any device in my house via my home network or coax cable.

The DVR must also be able to record at least 4 shows at one time while also playing back content.

Pretty much just like Uverse or Fios, however where I live neither is available and I am stuck with second rate Suddenlink Cable or DirecTV. We use DirecTV but each TV has to have its own DVR and each DVR can only record two channels and then it has to have two independent coax cables from the dish.

Tivo and Direct TV have a new DirecTivo coming out soon. It would have many of the features you want.
  • Reply 152 of 378
    AirPlay is so cool!
  • Reply 153 of 378
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by minderbinder View Post

Does it include all the itunes features like ratings and smart playlists?

It doesn't support the ratings, but then I don't care as I've already rated all my music. Not sure what you mean about smart playlists. It'll play smart playlists I create just like any other playlist. Truth is, I don't really use it for stream audio (even though that function is available). I much rather prefer using my iPhone to control my AppleTV. Truth is, that's why I bought the AppleTV in the first place, to be a music server.
  • Reply 154 of 378
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    It's basically an at home redbox type of deal which is great. Why go through the hassle of physically going somewhere to get an item and do it all over again to return it?

Not bad, Apple. I think I may buy one when I move into my new house in the coming weeks.
  • Reply 155 of 378
    I've been waiting for this one both with hope and trepidation. Unfortunately, the negatives appear to have won out.

From the rumours I knew that the new Apple TV was going to be a streaming device and I accepted that as a good way forward but I am beginning to feel that the Apple TV product train is well and truly off the tracks. I bought an Apple TV about four months back for two key reasons...

1) I wanted to have a copy of my music local to my entertainment system

2) I wanted to play movies off iTunes (much much lower priority)

Things like YouTube were useful but not essential.

What I was hoping from the new Apple TV was a device that would support Apps and that would stream content from your NAS drives or at least from a Time Capsule.

I don't understand why the latest version of the Apple TV has come out and now does far far less than the original model did. I, I'm sure like many other people, do not want to have to switch on my computer every time I want to listen to my music / watch my movies - that was the POINT of the device for me.

Oh well, hopes are dashed again.
  • Reply 156 of 378
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

You know, as I was thinking about it, it occurred to me that the only way your statement could be true is if you were talking about analog CRTs. Was your HD RPTV a CRT-based model? Also, did you mean 720p and not 520p?

Yup, first gen HDTVs were CRT (mainly 1080i). So if you were a salesman selling HDTVs, you would know this. Nope, meant 540p which was one of the early formats supported in addition to 480p/720p.
  • Reply 157 of 378
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gordy View Post

So, nothing really changes as far as the box is concerned--other than storage which was stupid anyway. I'm buying one, at last. 99 cent TV shows will be cool once more studios sign up, but, I can't drop my cable company just yet.

Yeah, I just bought one, too! I already have an AppleTV but this is an improvement-- at least the beginning of one.

I am bummed, with no games, apps or SDK.

I think Apple really, really missed an opportunity by not announcing these today, and making the SDK available today.

Hopefully, by the time the device ships, they will rectify this-- otherwise, it is just a semi-useful, nice-looking square hockey puck!

• Reply 158 of 378
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LuisDias View Post

It's always nice to see the morons who talked about the "iOS" coming to the Apple TV and "how great it would be" to have touch TVs or some kind of pointer device that worked with the TVs, now scrambling with disappointment that Apple didn't abide to their insane designs!

Where's their apology right now? Well in the same place where their pride is ahah.

I could not agree more. Quoting vauge/very broad predictions like they are gospel from John Gruber and all of the other blog pundits that have never really done anything in real life but kiss Apple's rear and hate everything else. Apple wants the hype brought on by keeping thigs close, but when the hype machine from the fangirl blog world gets to be better than what Apple drops, it makes Apple look bad.

Ping = Fail

New Apple TV = Fail

Bring back the old Shuffle = WTF?

Nano = Who buys dedicated devices larger than the Shuffle?

Touch was given since every new iPhone is followed by a gimped iPhone called an iPod Touch.

AppleInside looks bad as well, publishing every little scrap of rumor, feeding the BS rumor mill and now we get nothing really today.
  • Reply 159 of 378
    I am astonished at how many people pay so much for their TV content. I do pay for a TV Licence, but that's only £12 per month.

I have a Freeview PVR to record for watching on the TV and Eyetv to record and play content on/via my iPod Touch. There is so much great free content available that I almost always have a backlog of shows to watch.

I have only ever paid for a couple of missed shows from iTunes and can't imagine regularly paying 99p for individual TV shows.
  • Reply 160 of 378
    [QUOTE=AppleInsider;1705426]Apple Chief Executive Steve Jobs showed off "one more hobby" Wednesday, with a newly redesigned Apple TV that costs less than half of the price of its predecessor -- $99.

wow what a letdown this was. android tv...prepare to eat your apple for lunch.