Apple reveals new cloud-centric Apple TV

Comments

• Reply 161 of 378
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Cool device overall, but it's a bit nonsensical to expect users to 'rent' TV episodes for US .99 (at only 720p) when it's so easy to simply use a DVR/Tivo type device.

We'll See...

i thought 720p wouldnt be sufficient either but found even on my 55" tv, the picture quality still looks really good (maybe its my lack of eagle eye vision =), especially for tv shows. this might actually move me away from having any sort of cable tv all together.
  • Reply 162 of 378
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

Disappointed that it doesn't have apps, but I'd forgive them if airplay lets me stream video from non apple sources on my iPhone to apple tv.

To me the app store on this device is just too soon. Apple is not "stupid" they can roll put the app store not only on this device but on it's PC's as well. Some of u expect "all at once" from Apple. C'mon

people. Apple not bringing the App store to this device is because of it's "impact" on other devices like the BRAND NEW iPad! God, be patient. You realize that once touch users will be able to play games on their TV via an app store on the Atv touch users will have a gaming remote...

"noted" word from the keynote- the touch is now the #1 gaming device in terms of sales. Plus the demo...
  • Reply 163 of 378
    Apple missed the boat with streaming media form your computer(s).
  • Reply 163 of 378

On a lighter note, twice removed from Gruber:

• Reply 165 of 378
    Just ordered mine
  • Reply 166 of 378
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,907member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChickenPoPie View Post

i thought 720p wouldnt be sufficient either but found even on my 55" tv, the picture quality still looks really good (maybe its my lack of eagle eye vision =), especially for tv shows. this might actually move me away from having any sort of cable tv all together.

It's the "p" in 720p that makes it look good. 1080i may have larger frame dimensions, but it is not progressive and thus is less "smooth".

720p is adequate for all but the most critical viewing.
  • Reply 167 of 378
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bettieblue View Post

AppleInside looks bad as well, publishing every little scrap of rumor, feeding the BS rumor mill and now we get nothing really today.

So if you are so different, why are you commenting on ApplerInsider?
  • Reply 168 of 378
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WelshDog View Post

Not to mention there's usually someone stinky or deranged sitting nearby as well.

Maybe you need to patronize finer establishments? Stinky or deranged? Never seen it where I watch movies.
  • Reply 169 of 378
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

Just saw the pricing too. US - $99. UK - £99.

Since when was the exchange rate $1=£1? I know Apple always screw us over here in the UK, but this is a new low point.

It's the payback for what you did to us in 1812.
  • Reply 170 of 378
    Quote:

Since when was the exchange rate $1=£1? I know Apple always screw us over here in the UK, but this is a new low point.

Also for a streaming device in the UK I would want all the TV streaming services , BBC iPlayer , 4OD , Demand5 etc.

I suppose you don't make money on free!
  • Reply 171 of 378
    Cool, but now it just needs Boxee and Hulu support and Safari for locating web content, then I would be happy as a clam.

Mac Mini still needs to add Blu-Ray, since obviously it's not gonna fit in this new ATV...

They should have announced App Store support today for both the ATV and iPod Nano (Nano being via dock connector tethered only)

Oh, and where is the new iLife?!
  • Reply 172 of 378
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BobbyB3 View Post

I'm actually really ticked it off that it doesn't slice bagels was really hoping for that option, maybe my iphone will do it next year

That is SO funny!

And original! Keep 'em coming!
  • Reply 173 of 378
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I have a media library on a Mini with 2 external 2 TeraByte drives (one for backup). They are almost full!

Yes, there are storage concerns, and it takes time to manage that storage!

Then throw them in the garbage and pay a new fee every time you want to watch something.

Problem solved!
  • Reply 174 of 378
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FredAppleHead View Post

Yup, first gen HDTVs were CRT (mainly 1080i). So if you were a salesman selling HDTVs, you would know this. Nope, meant 540p which was one of the early formats supported in addition to 480p/720p.

We only sold Pioneer Elite RPTVs (between '96-'01) and their PRO-1009W (which was their 1st true 16:9 TV) didn't even do 480p let alone anything higher. After that, all their models employed their CinemaPro conversion which de-interlaced everything. However, I was really only thinking flat panels anyway.
  • Reply 175 of 378
    Are new shows on ABC and Fox available to rent day and date with their tv broadcasts? If not, what is the delay?
  • Reply 176 of 378
    Quote:

Since when?

Since people in the US quit giving a crap about the complaining blokes across the pond. We're not trying to screw you, you do that to yourselves; it's called a monarchy. Happy trails.
  • Reply 177 of 378
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BiggerBadderBen View Post

Any thoughts on whether any of this new stuff will be a SW upgrade to the hard-drive based AppleTV? In particular, Netflix integration would be nice.

The current AppleTV already does most of what the new one does, except enhanced streaming! They could do the new stuff on the old box with software (though, it already runs pretty hot).

I was surprised, and disappointed that Steve did not address this.

• Reply 178 of 378
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by minderbinder View Post

Nope - but how is going from DRM to no DRM moving in that direction? You talked about DRM bricking your music, there is no more DRM on music so you're just imagining a paranoid situation that doesn't exist.

The point of what I said is we're moving away from physical ownership of things which is a bad thing. Not sure how that wasn't clear...
  • Reply 179 of 378
    pt123pt123 Posts: 696member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BobbyB3 View Post

Don't bash the aTV product until you've used it; I was quite skeptical until I purchased one; I ripped all my DVDs to it and now I watch more of my older movies then I ever have.

I have an Appletv and I just do rips, no iTunes. All my movies are on an external HD, but I am starting to run out of space. I wonder if anyone thought about that when they designed the original Appletv? Maybe I will get around to another HD but that seem to be a pain.
  • Reply 180 of 378
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

That's pretty funny. You don't have "right" to any of this stuff. It costs money to make, and the content providers have to find a way to make it work for them so they can continue to provide their content. Everything costs something.

You ignore both the First Sale Doctrine and the Fair Use Doctrine. Both are being defeated by technology, given that those who wish to repeatedly sell the same work to a consumer cannot compell this result by legislation.

If it were up to the folks you are defending, Free Public Libraries would be illegal.