Samsung Galaxy Tab to take on Apple's iPad via all 4 US carriers

Comments

• Reply 21 of 241
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Have you seen how fat this thing is http://i.i.com.com/cnwk.1d/i/tim//20..._1_610x457.jpg

Have you seen how much 'comparatively 'fatter' the ipad is... 242.8 x 189.7 x 13.4mm at .73kg (Hint the Galaxy Tab is a mere 11.98mm
  • Reply 22 of 241
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

I'll be comparing both extensively the minute I purchase my GalaxyTab upon its release.

Please let us know your thoughts. Do you currently own any other 7 inch tablets? Do you have any opinion on the optimal screen size for a tablet?

I realize that there will be a compromise between screen size and handling ability. Many people commented that the iPad seemed heavy to them. It is also thicker and requires an ugly bezel to get enough grip. Maybe a lighter, albeit smaller device is better?
  • Reply 23 of 241
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 0yvind View Post

True. Imagine what it would have looked like, had the iPad not been released half a year ago. Even Samsung admits they're aiming to copy a rumored 7" iPad. Which BTW I'd love to have myself... ;o)

Care to share the document/transcript making this alleged 'copy' claim... Just Curious?
  • Reply 24 of 241
    Quote:

Care to share the document/transcript making this alleged 'copy' claim... Just Curious?

About copying the iPad: Just take a look. That's all. The 'copying an upcoming iPad 7"' thing is something they said at a Press conference at IFA Berlin when first presented. Don't have the link here.
  • Reply 25 of 241
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Booga View Post

It's a phone. It's really competing against the iPhone, as it's too small to really be an iPad competitor. Thus, the form factor should feel like a phone, and it doesn't.

And if you're not going to use it as a phone, you're going to feel kind of silly paying the monthly phone charges for it.

It is confirmed that there will be no phone capabilities in the US.
  • Reply 26 of 241
    Quote:

<Appleoid>

Look it up yourself! I don't give any support for my claims! Are you too lazy to use Google? I'm pro-Apple!

</Appleoid>
  • Reply 27 of 241
    Quote:

Just take a look. That's all.

Har! You beat me to it! =/
  • Reply 28 of 241
    Quote:

Have you seen how much 'comparatively 'fatter' the ipad is... 242.8 x 189.7 x 13.4mm at .73kg (Hint the Galaxy Tab is a mere 11.98mm

The iPad does have a 3'' larger screen

The real question, and maybe I just missed it, what is the battery life on this thing? Is it close to the 10hr+ life of the iPad?
  • Reply 29 of 241
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Of the videos I’ve seen this is using a really cheap TN panel. I hope that is not the case for the shipping models. The viewing angle was absolutely horrible and this sort of device has to be viewable from a wider range of angles so that (for example) laying against your legs or flat on a table is still readable, like a book, without being propped up.

The resolution has an unusual 1.71:1 aspect ratio and a ppi of 169. Not great, but higher than the iPad, though the iPad ha a lot more surface area and it at least uses an IPS panel. I’d bet the brightness and other display characteristics will be subpar once they get tests, likely by AnandTech.

PS: The Menu Bar seems large and the case looks thick, but remember this has a 7” display, not the 9.7” display of the iPad. While I’d expect this to be thinner and lighter for that size, it’s not bad.
  • Reply 30 of 241
    Quote:

Just take a look. That's all.

At what... Where's the actual document?

If merely looking at a device is to be considered 'hard evidence' of something someone stated (in this case you), then one could conclude that Jobs said much the same thing regarding the iPhone/iPad design concept when he first saw Hp/Compaq's TC1XXX back in 2003.

http://img.tomshardware.com/us/2003/...pad/compaq.jpg
  • Reply 31 of 241
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

i?d say the iPad is comparatively thinner, whilst the Galaxy Tab is in actuality thinner.
  • Reply 32 of 241
    Quote:

At what... Where's the actual document?

Do you expect anyone here to back up their fatuous claims? Really?

7 inch tablets already exist. A 7 inch iPad is nothing more than vapor. But of course, Samsung is copying Apple.

Yeah! That's the ticket!
  • Reply 33 of 241
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dperez82 View Post

The real question, and maybe I just missed it, what is the battery life on this thing? Is it close to the 10hr+ life of the iPad?

I doubt it. Flash on this thing will drain the battery like no tomorrow. You'll be lucky to get 5 hours out of it.

They also haven't announced their pricing, which is worrying for those people wanting to buy it. You would think that they would have announced the pricing if it significantly undercut the iPad. And since when did this thread turn into a Android loving product placement announcement of imminent fanboys wanting to buy it? If people think the iPad is gimped, just look when Android tablets start hitting the streets
  • Reply 34 of 241
    Gee I was right, all the Ipad showing up on VZ rumors was in fact a competitor product.
  • Reply 35 of 241
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

i?d say the iPad is comparatively thinner, whilst the Galaxy Tab is in actuality thinner.

But most people would say that the iPad is thicker and the Samsung is thinner.

Adding adjectives cannot change reality.
  • Reply 36 of 241
    "One carrier" thing is Apple's Achilles heel.
  • Reply 37 of 241
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Newtron View Post

Do you expect anyone here to back up their fatuous claims? Really?

7 inch tablets already exist. A 7 inch iPad is nothing more than vapor. But of course, Samsung is copying Apple.

Yeah! That's the ticket!

This is the article that the previous poster was referring to:

http://www.9to5mac.com/23083/samsung...=Google+Reader

Whether it is true or not is a different topic.
  • Reply 38 of 241
    Quote:

<Appleoid>

Look it up yourself! I don't give any support for my claims! Are you too lazy to use Google? I'm pro-Apple!

</Appleoid>

When one makes such lofty claims, the burden of proof falls upon them, not those questioning the legitimacy of such claims.

Given that I DID (in fact) 'google' "Samsung admits they're aiming to copy a rumored 7" iPad", and the ONLY thing that matches is your post here in Apple Insider - Nothing Else.

Reasonable Conclusion: It appears that these 'claims' are seriously lacking in validity.
  • Reply 39 of 241
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dperez82 View Post

The iPad does have a 3'' larger screen

Despite Apple being very slim on listing specs, they do list a good cross section of battery times and use the medium average of those times, not the minimum like other vendors.

The best I can find on this VeiwSonic tablet is a flat 10 hours. is that audio, video, web surfing, what?
  • Reply 40 of 241
    Quote:

But most people would say that the iPad is thicker and the Samsung is thinner.

Adding adjectives cannot change reality.

Actually most people would compare their size of screen before they would ever compare their thickness.