Samsung Galaxy Tab to take on Apple's iPad via all 4 US carriers

Comments

• Reply 41 of 241
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Newtron View Post

But most people would say that the iPad is thicker and the Samsung is thinner.

Adding adjectives cannot change reality.

Who cares? All that matters is how it feels when you hold it.

How heavy it is when you hold it a period of time...

This is a smaller device anyway.
  • Reply 42 of 241
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by striker_kk View Post

"One carrier" thing is Apple's Achilles heel.

The iPhone is available on over 150 carriers. I don't think we can blame ATT anymore.
  • Reply 43 of 241
    @da harder <Personally, I find the Galaxy the perfect size/weight for this kind of device as it's much easier to hold with one hand, and considerably lighter than my iPad.>

the only thing that your holding with one hand isn't a galaxy.
  • Reply 44 of 241
    I can see a nice market for this 5? to 7? tablets. While the iPad is great it doesn?t fit into a large pockets of those in the medical field. Unfortunately Android isn?t a great solution for the business, which is why I had hoped MS and RiM would have taken the ball and come out with a tablet in this range before the others. They could have beat Apple to the punch with this inevitable sizing, instead we only have cheaply built devices using a weak UI overlay to Android.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bartfat View Post

I doubt it. Flash on this thing will drain the battery like no tomorrow. You'll be lucky to get 5 hours out of it.

I?d be surprised if this can get 5 hours of solid video playback using H.264 from local files sans Flash.
  • Reply 45 of 241
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Really?

Then I guess the iPad is even 'fatter' given that the Galaxy Tab measures 190.09 x 120.45 x 11.98mm at .38kg yet the iPad comes in at 242.8 x 189.7 x 13.4mm at .73kg.

Personally, I find the Galaxy the perfect size/weight for this kind of device as it's much easier to hold with one hand, and considerably lighter than my iPad.

I'll be comparing both extensively the minute I purchase my GalaxyTab upon its release.

Have you ever heard the term proportions. Go calculate and get a tiny bit wiser if you can't grasp the difference by eye.

• Reply 46 of 241
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Booga View Post

It's a phone. It's really competing against the iPhone, as it's too small to really be an iPad competitor. Thus, the form factor should feel like a phone, and it doesn't.

And if you're not going to use it as a phone, you're going to feel kind of silly paying the monthly phone charges for it.

yes its absolutely stupid and silly. as a threat to ipad for wireless only i could see it IF this thing works decently and it was much cheaper than the ipad. samsung is stupid if they think they can charge apple prices. would be like Ford thinking it can get Ferrari prices on its stuff. dumb.
  • Reply 47 of 241
    You all get so mad at Steve Jobs but no carrier thus far has screwed with his operating system.

Meanwhile, we continue to watch android get bastardized by the carriers. And that's what they'll be doing to the Tab.
  • Reply 48 of 241
    Competition is good. If the smaller form factor is a success, expect Apple to add that to the lineup in the not-too-distant future as well.

I was thinking of my first generation iPhone and how nicely it has evolved. iPhone 4 is the greatest phone I ever owned. iPad 1 is the only tablet I ever owned.
  • Reply 49 of 241
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

...the company hopes to compete with Apple's iPad in the booming touchscreen tablet market.

What booming touchscreen tablet market?

Right now there's only a booming iPad market. It remains to be seen how that translates to a wider market.
  • Reply 50 of 241
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

You all get so mad at Steve Jobs but no carrier thus far has screwed with his operating system.

Meanwhile, we continue to watch android get bastardized by the carriers. And that's what they'll be doing to the Tab.

you know it ain't good when google says android 2.2 isn't a good choice for pads....

at 200 or mabye 300 dollars without a carrier i would consider one. at 500+ why bother? get an ipad.
  • Reply 51 of 241
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Newtron View Post

Please let us know your thoughts. Do you currently own any other 7 inch tablets? Do you have any opinion on the optimal screen size for a tablet?

I realize that there will be a compromise between screen size and handling ability. Many people commented that the iPad seemed heavy to them. It is also thicker and requires an ugly bezel to get enough grip. Maybe a lighter, albeit smaller device is better?

Will Do... Yes I have a 'couple' of other 7in slates/tablets.
  • Reply 52 of 241
    In fact, I was quite tempted by the Galaxy Tab just because of its 7" form factor. Alas, here in Norway the price is way higher than the iPad (according to the official Samsung importer). Would like a camera but it's not a deal-breaker to me, the App store weighs more in my book. Anayway I'll wait till November and see what comes up...
  • Reply 53 of 241
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bosox View Post

Competition is good. If the smaller form factor is a success, expect Apple to add that to the lineup in the not-too-distant future as well.

I was thinking of my first generation iPhone and how nicely it has evolved. iPhone 4 is the greatest phone I ever owned. iPad 1 is the only tablet I ever owned.

at the prices i have seen i predict EPIC FAIL for samsung.
  • Reply 54 of 241
    It’s interesting that the two newest Android tablets from different vendors I’ve read about in the last day have a wonky 1024x600 resolution (1:71 aspect ratio) with one being a 7” display and the other 10”, but I am under the impression that Android v2.2 “Froyo” only natively supports resolutions up to 854×480. So are these some add on that will make 3rd-party apps not work right, is there a 1024x600 option built in, or will these be using a version of Android newer than 2.2?
  • Reply 55 of 241
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Booga View Post

It's a phone. It's really competing against the iPhone, as it's too small to really be an iPad competitor. Thus, the form factor should feel like a phone, and it doesn't.

And if you're not going to use it as a phone, you're going to feel kind of silly paying the monthly phone charges for it.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by screamingfist View Post

yes its absolutely stupid and silly. as a threat to ipad for wireless only i could see it IF this thing works decently and it was much cheaper than the ipad. samsung is stupid if they think they can charge apple prices. would be like Ford thinking it can get Ferrari prices on its stuff. dumb.

Ummm, it doesn't have phone functionality for the U.S. market. In that sense, it will be like the iPad 3G. Do you guys even bother to research stuff before you bash competitors?

http://www.engadget.com/2010/09/16/s...ies-in-the-us/

Also, to say that it competes with the iPhone; the screen 3.5" larger diagonally than an iPhone and only 2.7" smaller diagonally than the iPad...

Read into that however you want.
  • Reply 56 of 241
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rabbit_Coach View Post

Have you ever heard the term proportions. Go calculate and get a tiny bit wiser if you can't grasp the difference by eye.

All Semantics: The fact is the Galaxy Tab is thinner by measurement, so therefore if the Galaxy Tab is being considered 'fat' then apparently the iPad is 'fatter' since it is (undisputedly) thicker by actual measurement..

Personally, I don't really care as long as the ergonomics are sound, but still - There's really nothing to debate here.
  • Reply 57 of 241
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

Ummm, it doesn't have phone functionality for the U.S. market. In that sense, it will be like the iPad 3G. Do you guys even bother to research stuff before you bash competitors?

http://www.engadget.com/2010/09/16/s...ies-in-the-us/

Also, to say that it competes with the iPhone; the screen 3.5" larger diagonally than an iPhone and only 2.7" smaller diagonally than the iPad...

Read into that however you want.

i can see how you might think i was agreeing with him on iphone, but i was just agreing with the silly pricing and payment options. i stated ipad in my quote.
  • Reply 58 of 241
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dperez82 View Post

This is the article that the previous poster was referring to:

http://www.9to5mac.com/23083/samsung...=Google+Reader

Whether it is true or not is a different topic.

And here's the article yours was referring to: http://www.digitimes.com/NewsShow/Ne...26&query=APPLE

It says: "Sources from upstream component makers believe the device is aiming to compete against Apple's reportedly upcoming 7-inch iPad."

Here's the OP's claim: "Even Samsung admits they're aiming to copy a rumored 7" iPad."
  • Reply 59 of 241
    In Apple's favor is their ability to out think every competitor that challenges them. Everything other than the iPad looks "half-baked".
  • Reply 60 of 241
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Really?

Then I guess the iPad is even 'fatter' given that the Galaxy Tab measures 190.09 x 120.45 x 11.98mm at .38kg yet the iPad comes in at 242.8 x 189.7 x 13.4mm at .73kg.

Personally, I find the Galaxy the perfect size/weight for this kind of device as it's much easier to hold with one hand, and considerably lighter than my iPad.

I'll be comparing both extensively the minute I purchase my GalaxyTab upon its release.

A head to head apple vs the world war has broken out !!

apple will splinter the market w/ a larger and smaller touch/ face time phone

and also apple will bring on the market a fully loaded baby ipad .

i for one is building a fallout shelter until this is settled

duck !!