PC industry customer satisfaction again dominated by Apple

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Apple remains the best in its class for customer service, with the Mac maker again leading all other PC makers for the seventh straight year, despite industry-wide improvement, according to a new study.

The American Customer Satisfaction Index on Tuesday released its annual survey of the PC industry, and on the index's 100-point scale, Apple gained 2 percent to reach 86 -- its highest score ever. 2010 marks the seventh straight year that Apple has topped the PC industry.

Apple is also 9 points ahead of its next-closest competitors: Dell, Acer and HP, in a three-way tie at 77. In fact, other PC makers, including Toshiba and Sony, also came in with a score of 77, suggesting customers view the rest of the PC industry's service equally.

Industry-wide improvements were seen as a positive consumer response to the release of Microsoft's Windows 7 operating system last year.

"Windows-based PC brands appear to have recovered from the problems associated with the Windows Vista software," said Claes Fornell, founder of ACSI. "Barely a year into the release of Windows 7, satisfaction with these brands has returned to, and in some cases even surpassed, the levels prior to the launch of Vista."

Though the PC industry has seen better customer service, according to users, in 2010, those who had to contact customer support are 8 percent less satisfied than those who had no post-purchase contact with the manufacturer or retailer.

Chart via CNN Money.

The index is updated each quarter and factors in scores from more than 225 companies in 45 industries and from government agencies. ACSI was founded at the University of Michigan.

Last year, Apple's ACSI score was 84, 12 points ahead of its nearest rival, Dell. This year's score of 86 bested Apple's previous best of 85 in 2008, which set a new all-time high for the PC industry.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 44
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Well done Apple!
  • Reply 2 of 44
    congrats Apple

however, this also states that the other companies are catching up, as is Windows with W7

well, if it leads to more improvements (in windows and OS X) i am happy

also i have to say, Dell must have improved sense i last bought anything from them.

i think this is good, as i thing this is due in part to the economy and making people want to keep buyimh from you is important, i hope if/when the economy gets better, this continues to rise, or at least not drop
  • Reply 3 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Well done Apple!

Windows 7 seems to be some light shining in the dark of Windows World. But for now I think I keep on using apple for my main computing needs.
  • Reply 4 of 44
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    The dip after vista does not look as big as I expected. I guess PC makers handled it pretty well all things considered. Also of note that both Apple and Dells of the world have been steadily improving since the iMac introduction (although at a slower pace for PCs)
  • Reply 5 of 44
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rabbit_Coach View Post

Windows 7 seems to be some light shining in the dark of Windows World. But for now I think I keep on using apple for my main computing needs.

I use both and yes 7 is better than Vista, to me it feels like XP only working a bit better. However, it is so far behind the pleasurable experience of OS X and for that matter iOS as to be a 'use only when really needed' for me. That is, only when needed is to check web work appears correctly on a PC (which it often doesn't even in 7) and that's about it!
  • Reply 6 of 44
    Out of pure curiosity, I wish, AI would resolve the graph for some of the most important PC manufacturers?
  • Reply 7 of 44
    I guess this article is centered on the Mac. That would explain omitting the iPhone and the embarrassment of the antenna issue which I believe caused more than a few people to be less than satisfied.

I guess it's a common market strategy to follow a PR disaster by puffing out our chest and claiming your "the best!"

Reminds me of those cocky GM commercials about how they were so wonderful, right on the heels of a national bailout.
  • Reply 8 of 44
    Actually, I think the graph really shows the average intelligence for people using the computer and the Internet. Both mac and PC's were dropping because you had more and more people who have not used a computer in the past so they all thought that did not work right. It is not like PC's got any easier to use after 1998.
  • Reply 9 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple remains the best in its class for customer service, with the Mac maker again leading all other PC makers for the seventh straight year, despite industry-wide improvement, according to a new study.

The American Customer Satisfaction Index on Tuesday released its annual survey of the PC industry, and on the index's 100-point scale, Apple gained 2 percent to reach 86 -- its highest core ever. 2010 marks the seventh straight year that Apple has topped the PC industry.

Apple is also 9 points ahead of its next-closest competitors: Dell, Acer and HP, in a three-way tie at 77. In fact, other PC makers, including Toshiba and Sony, also came in with a score of 77, suggesting customers view the rest of the PC industry's service equally.

Industry-wide improvements were seen as a positive consumer response to the release of Microsoft's Windows 7 operating system last year.

"Windows-based PC brands appear to have recovered from the problems associated with the Windows Vista software," said Claes Fornell, founder of ACSI. "Barely a year into the release of Windows 7, satisfaction with these brands has returned to, and in some cases even surpassed, the levels prior to the launch of Vista."

Though the PC industry has seen better customer service, according to users, in 2010, those who had to contact customer support are 8 percent less satisfied than those who had no post-purchase contact with the manufacturer or retailer.

Chart via CNN Money.

The index is updated each quarter and factors in scores from more than 225 companies in 45 industries and from government agencies. ACSI was founded at the University of Michigan.

Last year, Apple's ACSI score was 84, 12 points ahead of its nearest rival, Dell. This year's score of 86 bested Apple's previous best of 85 in 2008, which set a new all-time high for the PC industry.

Great for apple. There c/s is excellent as I can vouch for this myself what I have went through.
  • Reply 10 of 44
    I am glad apple has a excellent record in customer service. I can vouch for them personally what I went through my first 2 month encounter with my new 13inch MBP. Terrific service from Singapore they give me when my logic board did not work for the first month.ga
  • Reply 11 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blackintosh View Post

I guess this article is centered on the Mac. That would explain omitting the iPhone and the embarrassment of the antenna issue which I believe caused more than a few people to be less than satisfied.

I guess it's a common market strategy to follow a PR disaster by puffing out our chest and claiming your "the best!"

Reminds me of those cocky GM commercials about how they were so wonderful, right on the heels of a national bailout.

You must be living in a different universe. Nobody here is embarrassed about any iPhone antenna. Sorry if you feel bad.
  • Reply 12 of 44
    I only say the obvious: Apple is doomed!
  • Reply 13 of 44
    Core values haven't changed in Cupertino. Nice to see.
  • Reply 14 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gerald apple View Post

Great for apple. There c/s is excellent as I can vouch for this myself what I have went through.

It mirrors my user experience perfectly all the newer generation Apple devices are rock solid and perform very well inclusive my newest iOS devices (iP4 and iPAD 3G).
  • Reply 15 of 44
    Quote:

You must be living in a different universe. Nobody here is embarrassed about any iPhone antenna.

Hmmm, I bet I can find at least one.

And I do live in a different universe than you. It's called the real one.
  • Reply 16 of 44
    Quote:

You must be living in a different universe. Nobody here is embarrassed about any iPhone antenna. Sorry if you feel bad.

At the beginning of August the iPhone 4 had a 93% satisfaction rate as compared to a .003% satisfaction rate for Blackinstosh on AI.
  • Reply 17 of 44
    My cousin just got an iMac this past weekend. Let's see how their experience goes.
  • Reply 18 of 44
    Quote:

Hmmm, I bet I can find at least one.

And I do live in a different universe than you. It's called the real one.

I can't blame you for that. Since every body thinks his own universe is the real one. I hope in yours its not all black and gloomy and that there is some sun shining from time to time.
  • Reply 19 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

At the beginning of August the iPhone 4 had a 93% satisfaction rate as compared to a .003% satisfaction rate for Blackinstosh on AI.

Well, Blackintosh's approval was higher than that; there are definitely more than 3 trolls per thousand on AI, at least among active posters.
  • Reply 20 of 44
    Quote:

Customer satisfaction for the iPhone4 was higher than the iPhone3 and way higher than any phone of the competition.

J.