Apple developing new iPhones with larger, smaller screens - report

Comments

• Reply 21 of 106
    fila97fila97 Posts: 63member
    Although i think this info is misleading but i think a 3.8" iPhone would be sweet.
  • Reply 22 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carniphage View Post

Shaw Wu cracks me up.

Please note the original article mis-spelled "Analyst"

In this case, it should have an "i" instead of a "y".

C.

took me 4 seconds to wonder about your info, there then I hooted, LOL
  • Reply 23 of 106
    Good move Apple. With people around the country dropping calls due to weak AT&T coverage and the absurd external antenna design, I'm sure different size iPhones are just what the world is clamoring for.

If I may make a suggestion, why not open the phone up to multiple carriers instead of multiple sizes. I do believe there is some clamor for that. And put the antenna back on the inside please.
  • Reply 24 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Shaw Wu with Kaufman Bros. said Wednesday that checks with sources in Apple's overseas supply chain have indicated that the company is working on new iPhone models with both larger and smaller touchscreens.

These "supply chain sources" always seem to have the best data. Take for example the mini or nano iPhones already built, the camera in the previous iPod Touch, the 7 inch iPad and the numerous CDMA or 'universal' phones, the touch screen iMacs, and the OLED screens in most of the phones, not to mention the various iPods of different sizes that have not appeared... Oh wait a minute, you say none of these has come to fruition. Could that be because they simply make all this up and play with the stock value by introducing these stupid rumors - why can't they qualify it with a simple disclaimer like "My guess is..." or "What I would like to see Apple do..."?

How does one get a job selling fantasy and fiction as the truth - better yet how does one keep such a job? \

'Nuff of my rants for the day.
  • Reply 25 of 106
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member
    A 4" screen would be much better for using apps, which after all is the main selling point of the iPhone.

iPhone Nano? Why not. Just add phone, bluetooth and a wireless headset to the iPod Nano and you are pretty much there. Wear it as a watch. Apple could even create a new category of apps designed for use on that size screen.
  • Reply 26 of 106
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,609member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Legends View Post

"We think Apple should take a page out of its iPod playbook where it has had a lot (of) success with a 3-tier strategy addressing entry-level, mid-range and high-end

...agreed...

"Apple currently offers three iPhone models priced at $299, $199 and $99"

...done.

Not really. The iPod comparison offers different size-related benefits with lower-end models. The iPhone line just satisfies the price points with corresponding reductions in value. iPods might have started out that way, but that isn't thecae today-- each line has unique benefits.

I can't figure out how you would do it without dramatic challenges for developers, but I imagine watching the iPod nano will give some hints.

The disruptive technology would still be for Apple to become a MVNO with UMA handoff, so one number can serve multiple devices. Carrying a nano phone around the office tied to my iPhone number would be nice in many ways, but another subscription is out of the question.
  • Reply 27 of 106
    esummersesummers Posts: 953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DrFreeman View Post

Why would you want to make an iPhone nano? You want an iPhone nano, buy a Nokia phone! These so called researchers have nothing else to talk about.

They are talking about it because Apple would dominate the Market. Better UI, industrial design, visual voicemail, face book, and iTunes support would blow other feature phones out of the water.
  • Reply 28 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by esummers View Post

They are talking about it because Apple would dominate the Market. Better UI, industrial design, visual voicemail, face book, and iTunes support would blow other feature phones out of the water.

I would buy a 4" iPhone in an instant, 3.5 was amazing in 2007, but now it's really now the smallest useable touchscreen in the phone market.
  • Reply 29 of 106
    carniphagecarniphage Posts: 1,984member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Masterz1337 View Post

I would buy a 4" iPhone in an instant, 3.5 was amazing in 2007, but now it's really now the smallest useable touchscreen in the phone market.

Smallest and most profitable.

Funny that.

C.
  • Reply 30 of 106
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    Most likely these are experimental prototypes that will never reach market. Apple creates hundreds of designs a year, yet only a handful reach store shelves.

It is doubtful that Apple will release a second iPhone.
  • Reply 31 of 106
    applappl Posts: 348member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bullhead View Post

Different screen resolutions, processor speeds, and memory sizes are what causes problems for application developers. This is what is starting to really hurt Android and what currently hurts everyone, including Apple.

What evidence do you have that "Different screen resolutions, processor speeds, and memory sizes" are "starting to really hurt Android"?

All the evidence I've seen is that Android is rapidly gaining both market share and mind share among consumers. There are several hot-selling Android phones. There are several high performance Android phones, with different stuff emphasized, like a big screen or a special software suite. And there are several el-cheapo Android phones. There are even some locked-down Android phones.

All the evidence I see is that Android is tailored to meet the desires of many different types of phone buyers, and that far from starting to hurt Android, it is starting to make Android huge.
  • Reply 32 of 106
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by appl View Post

All the evidence I've seen is that Android is rapidly gaining both market share and mind share among consumers. There are several hot-selling Android phones. There are several high performance Android phones, with different stuff emphasized, like a big screen or a special software suite. And there are several el-cheapo Android phones. There are even some locked-down Android phones.

Some might see this kind of "fragmentation" as a bad thing. Fortunately for Android, the numbers don't reflect this.
  • Reply 33 of 106
    hattighattig Posts: 860member
    It's not a bad idea to wipe up the lower end of the market with a candy-bar format with a lower-functionality "iOS but not iOS" interface. It's effectively be an iPod Nano with a phone, and a keypad (instead of a scroll wheel). Imagine the current iPod Nano, twice as long (for the keypad), maybe a bit wider and larger.

I'm going to go out on a wing and make up specifications from nowhere: 320x320 display (iPod nano screen is 1.09 inches on a side, new device's screen will be 1.45 inches square), with multitouch like iPod nano. Phone keypad below. Camera (and facetime). $199, free with low-end contract. Far simpler apps for texting, email, etc. No a smartphone, more of a feature phone.

The target is Nokia, especially in Europe and Asia where they are large. "You want to sue us? Well say goodbye to your mass market device sales."
  • Reply 34 of 106
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Masterz1337 View Post

I have my doubts about a larger iPhone, specially if a smaller iPad is on its way. The market would be too small. I can see the reasoning behind an iPhone Nano as a much smaller, less capable but still very smart phone/ipod. Will it happen - I have my doubts. Personally I'd like to se a small iPod / text biased phone. There are other phones like that out there and the question is if Apple could A) make it better (of course they can), B) the demand is there (not sure), C) margins are there (depends on B)

I am sure Apple is working on (developing) various IOS related devices, be they smaller iPod/Phones or iPads, clamshell iPads or aTV's. As a company with a business model in which innovation key they necessarily have a very active R&D department. What comes to market is another story.
  • Reply 35 of 106
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blackintosh View Post

Good move Apple. With people around the country dropping calls due to weak AT&T coverage and the absurd external antenna design, I'm sure different size iPhones are just what the world is clamoring for.

See what I did there?
  • Reply 36 of 106
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by esummers View Post

Did you mean face book or face time? I agree with your post but you need to add face time and most importantly texting. Can a good texting experience be created on a smaller screen?
  • Reply 37 of 106
    bkerkaybkerkay Posts: 139member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

Some might see this kind of "fragmentation" as a bad thing. Fortunately for Android, the numbers don't reflect this.

I think it only "seems" like it's not hurting Andriod. I think, long term, it will be bad for Andriod. Even now you hear about people (users and developers) complaining about all the different versions.

A developer I think is impacted the most.... instead of creating an app and being able to have all Android users take advantage... it's only a part of the market (this means less $$$). As opposed to Apple where it gets pushed out to all iPhone, iPod Touches and iPads (much more $$$). This is probably why the iTunes App store is so successful.
  • Reply 38 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by piot View Post

See what I did there?

At the last minute I decided to acknowledge that the United States is not the whole world.
  • Reply 39 of 106
    irelandireland Posts: 17,799member
    iPhone nano might happen. Will happen.

Eventually.

Larger iPhone, you say??? Hahaha!!!
  • Reply 40 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by appl View Post

What evidence do you have that "Different screen resolutions, processor speeds, and memory sizes" are "starting to really hurt Android"?

All the evidence I see is that Android is tailored to meet the desires of many different types of phone buyers, and that far from starting to hurt Android, it is starting to make Android huge.

What are you talking about? I said nothing about selling devices. I talked about the struggles us developers have in testing and developing apps which run at multiple resolutions, multiple processor speeds, multiple OS versions, multiple devices etc... It does not work well if at all across all the Android devices even if they are running the same OS version.