Apple developing new iPhones with larger, smaller screens - report

Comments

• Reply 81 of 106
    applappl Posts: 348member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

800%. Lol. That would be 14% and 60k a year. No great shakes. Evidence of a slowing down.

Look up the meaning of "to annualize". You might want to go back and delete your post after learning the meaning of the phrase.
  • Reply 82 of 106
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by appl View Post

Look up the meaning of "to annualize". You might want to go back and delete your post after learning the meaning of the phrase.

From some one who thinks that an increase of 10 k on 70 k is 800%, I can only laugh.

The annual rate of increase is not compound in these situations, 10k over 60 days is all we know.

800%. Roflmo.
  • Reply 83 of 106
    bullheadbullhead Posts: 493member
    Quote:

Weak.

Change my statement to "The dominance of the Android operating system gains unabated by any horrors it causes to lazy developers. There are zillions of other developers who are, at an explosive rate, developing for Android".

Let's not mince words.

obvious troll is obvious. Don't fandroid trolls have a forum of their own? Or are their forums fragmented too?
  • Reply 84 of 106
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kibitzer View Post

Why on earth would Apple want to dilute its margins making and selling a yesterday's tech product into a profitless market that's already saturated?

Because despite your techno-geek view of the world, most people still don't want a smart phone.
  • Reply 85 of 106
    I thought WSJ was a serious newspaper but it keeps publishing bogus stories and lies
  • Reply 86 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bullhead View Post

Or are their forums fragmented too?

Here's a good article on the effects of fragmentation:

Android doubles market share in six months

Google's mobile operating system is the No. 1 platform for users who recently purchased a smartphone

http://vator.tv/news/2010-10-06-andr...-in-six-months

I like the article because it focuses on different data from different sources, and analyzes what sorts of conclusions can be drawn from each.
  • Reply 87 of 106
    Quote:

Weak.

Change my statement to "The dominance of the Android operating system gains unabated by any horrors it causes to lazy developers. There are zillions of other developers who are, at an explosive rate, developing for Android".

Let's not mince words.

Android is on several handsets IOS is on one so it is obvious that Android will be more widespread... that's does not mean it is better.
  • Reply 88 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by daylove22 View Post

Android is on several handsets IOS is on one so it is obvious that Android will be more widespread... that's does not mean it is better.

Which OS is better or worse isn't really what we are discussing.

BTW, I agree with you that it is pretty obvious that Android will be more widespread.
  • Reply 89 of 106
    Quote:

Google's mobile operating system is the No. 1 platform for users who recently purchased a smartphone

I like the article because it focuses on different data from different sources, and analyzes what sorts of conclusions can be drawn from each.

There are more Toyotas in the street that Bentleys and probably it will be the case for the foreseeable future... I rather drive the Bentley...so it is for phones, Android is more widespread but I rather use the Iphone.
  • Reply 90 of 106
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:

My favorite quote of that article:

Quote:

So what this ultimately seems to suggest is that Android isn?t really a direct competitor with the iPhone OS, but rather the next-best-thing.

PS: That article really has nothing to do with fragmentation (unless it plays into the percentage of very satisfied customers, which it may).
  • Reply 91 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by daylove22 View Post

There are more Toyotas in the street that Bentleys and probably it will be the case for the foreseeable future... I rather drive the Bentley...so it is for phones, Android is more widespread but I rather use the Iphone.

I'm not sure how or why a comparison between cars - with price differences exceeding the average income of most families - has anything to do with phones which all cost a couple of hundred bucks or less.

But if you haven't noticed, Toyota quality is what Apple is all about lately. Both companies make products for the masses, very easy to use and very reliable. And they are an excellent choice for most everyone.

Except maybe not for those of us who would rather drive a Ferrari.
  • Reply 92 of 106
    Quote:

I'm not sure how or why a comparison between cars - with price differences exceeding the average income of most families - has anything to do with phones which all cost a couple of hundred bucks or less.

But if you haven't noticed, Toyota quality is what Apple is all about lately. Both companies make products for the masses, very easy to use and very reliable. And they are an excellent choice for most everyone.

Except maybe not for those of us who would rather drive a Ferrari.

What Android phone is like a Ferrari?
  • Reply 93 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

What Android phone is like a Ferrari?

From what I've seen, none of them. But some are like Lamborghinis:

and others are like a Porsche Cayenne:

Those of us who would like to drive a Ferrari are still waiting with our Hondas, our Toyotas and our iPhones.
  • Reply 94 of 106
    Quote:

From what I've seen, none of them. But some are like Lamborghinis:

and others are like a Porsche Cayenne:

Those of us who would like to drive a Ferrari are still waiting with our Hondas, our Toyotas and our iPhones.

I didn't ask for pics to take up the whole screen. I'd be quite interested in how you applied those car models to those phone models. Personally, I'd liken the Evo to a Hummer, given its large size (although the Droid X is even bigger) and horrid battery life. I hear the Droid X is pretty good in that department though.
  • Reply 95 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleStud View Post

Ugh, here we go again. Not gonna happen, folks.

There's also a persistent rumor of a "Verizon iPhone" and a "White iPhone". Won't happen, folks. Move along, there's nothing to see here.
  • Reply 96 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

I didn't ask for pics to take up the whole screen. I'd be quite interested in how you applied those car models to those phone models. Personally, I'd liken the Evo to a Hummer, given its large size (although the Droid X is even bigger) and horrid battery life. I hear the Droid X is pretty good in that department though.

Sorry, but I guess I don't really know the tricks of the [IMG] tag. The pics were MUCH smaller on their home sites.

I chose Lamborghini because it is high performance, but to my taste, garish compared to a Ferrari.

I chose the Porsche SUV for the reason you chose the Hummer, the size, but also because it is supposed to be high performance despite the bulk.

I've never really looked closely at any particular Android phone because I have another year with ATT. If there was a hot-shit Android phone that would work, I'd look more closely. I was tempted by the Nexus One, but in the end, I didn't get one.
  • Reply 97 of 106
    bullheadbullhead Posts: 493member
    Quote:

interesting you did not include the marketshare....considering Apple is _killing_ Android in marketshare. Of course Androids relative increase is impressive, considering it started from just about 0%. I like how the troll moved away from the developer discussion as I made a complete ass out of him.

• Reply 98 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Doorman. View Post

Guys, why do you assume that the smaller phone would be a cheaper, lower technology model?

Doesn't the progress in technology make the size of everything smaller? Could it be that a smaller "iPhone nano" will be a super high-end model?

P.S. That is rhetorical question. Just let you open your mind.

I actually agree, smaller does not mean cheaper.
  • Reply 99 of 106
    Fragmented OS is bad for developers but good for consumers. They simply have more iPhone choices which would lead to more iPhone purchases. This is good for Apple and for its stock price.

I recently switched from iPhone to Android Evo 4g due to the terrible ATT service: I just could not make phone calls! Man, that Evo rocks. Not only it has 4.3" screen, unlike iPhone it hides top and bottom browser bars in full screen mode, making screen even bigger relative to iPhone which with these bars has only about 3.1" usable screen. The Sprint 4G network is as fast as my home wi-fi: I have desktop broadband browsing speed, the phone feels like mini-tablet, and I have no problems with reception and dropped calls. Android App store has now huge selection of apps.

I believe Apple must come up with both smaller and specially larger iPhones.

I see a lineup of 2", 3.5", 4.5" iPhones and 7" and 10" iPads.

Smaller iphone could be even a flip-phone or some other innovative form factor.

iPad should have optional models with phone capability to use with bluetooth stereo headsets.
  • Reply 100 of 106
    juandljuandl Posts: 230member
    I am thinking that Apple will do something a little radical with a smaller phone.

The other idea about going bigger. Not so much a bigger phone, but a smaller iPad.

As far as the smaller phone. It actually won't be a phone but a FaceTime, iPod device.

That new WiFi on steriods should start taking shape sometime next year. I can't believe Apple would make such a small phone with a 3G or 4G multichip.

The vPod (video iPod) could have streaming capabilities to be able to store 'packets' of music playlists (making it possible to have alot of music available & perhaps some apps or games that could play on the smaller screen.

Perhaps even, with the new Data Farm coming online soon, Apple could make something else special happen.