Apple developing new iPhones with larger, smaller screens - report

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 106
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by appl View Post

What evidence do you have that "Different screen resolutions, processor speeds, and memory sizes" are "starting to really hurt Android"?

All the evidence I've seen is that Android is rapidly gaining both market share and mind share among consumers. There are several hot-selling Android phones. There are several high performance Android phones, with different stuff emphasized, like a big screen or a special software suite. And there are several el-cheapo Android phones. There are even some locked-down Android phones.

All the evidence I see is that Android is tailored to meet the desires of many different types of phone buyers, and that far from starting to hurt Android, it is starting to make Android huge.

Actually there's another variable that's not much on these forums, which is how Google/YouTube pretty much won the video default web site award: the Android Marketplace (much like YouTube was [is?]) is loaded with tons and tons of rip-offs of copyrighted content unavailable on an unlocked iPhone.

And people have shown little compunction about being able to get access to material they want whether or not it's in violation.

Overall I have to believe this is all about a) the fact that as is most commonly rumored since the original launch, Apple got committed for five years, and b) seeing RIM, MS and Nokia as the competition thought it wouldn't matter - which as history has shown, it wouldn't have, but c) Android changed the equation and ramped up the pressure before the agreement ran out.
  • Reply 102 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bullhead View Post

Don't see Apple doing this as it does nothing but fragment the iOS market. Different screen resolutions, processor speeds, and memory sizes are what causes problems for application developers. This is what is starting to really hurt Android and what currently hurts everyone, including Apple.

Apple reduces this pain by only releasing one model of iphone per year so developers only have to test on iPhone 4, iPhone 3gs, and iPad to cover all the users. Constrast this to all the other mobile platforms where there are so many different models and configurations that your apps have no chance of running on all the devices.

I don't see anything hurting android... seems to be doing, er, quite well.

I think this is an obvious next move for apple, and I think it's a really smart one.
  • Reply 103 of 106
    bushman4bushman4 Posts: 863member
    More unsubstaniated rumors. Possible, but then again we've heard this before.
  • Reply 104 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

I didn't ask for pics to take up the whole screen. I'd be quite interested in how you applied those car models to those phone models. Personally, I'd liken the Evo to a Hummer, given its large size (although the Droid X is even bigger) and horrid battery life. I hear the Droid X is pretty good in that department though.

Clearly you don't understand how fast and smooth the phones run using Android 2.2

The HTC Evo using Linpack got a score of 37.593 MFLOPS using Android 2.2.
  • Reply 105 of 106
    applappl Posts: 348member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Clearly you don't understand how fast and smooth the phones run using Android 2.2

The HTC Evo using Linpack got a score of 37.593 MFLOPS using Android 2.2.

In its element, the Hummer is fast. Nothing can traverse desert landscape like a Hummer.

But I chose the Porsche SUV, because it is big and good in rugged situations, but also fleet and solid on the road. It packs every feature in an elegant package, appealing to both function and luxury.

The iPhone is more like a Toyota RAV4 - it appeals to the masses and does most common things perfectly OK. It was innovative in its day, but has been surpassed by other brands and is bested in particular areas by a slew of competitors.
  • Reply 106 of 106
    Uh-oh! Here comes the iPod play, as pretty much expected sooner or later.

Establish the marque, secure the high-end, then start to diversify outwards and downwards.

Now I understand why Nokia's launched its all-out multi-venue litigation offensive.

If this plays out as expected, then bye-bye Nokia handset share (not just talking smartphones here).