Apple developing new iPhones with larger, smaller screens - report

Comments

• Reply 41 of 106
    us developers do. Far easier to develop for iOS than Android, due to the fragmentation
  • Reply 42 of 106
    Maybe screen fragmentation won't be a problem for the low-end phones. Perhaps it's going to be like the 1st generation with only Apple's applications available.

It would still be a desirable product, although I admit it doesn't explain the larger screen sizes.
  • Reply 43 of 106
    carniphagecarniphage Posts: 1,984member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

iPhone nano might happen. Will happen.

Nah.

With music players, a small, simplified device made sense. With an internet-connected, app-running phone, it makes no sense at all.

C.
  • Reply 44 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

Some might see this kind of "fragmentation" as a bad thing. Fortunately for Android, the numbers don't reflect this.

who cares about android market share? Not Apple, that's for sure. Once the iPhone is on multiple carriers, the "android threat" will take care of itself. Apple would much rather have less share and greater profits - they've proven this (repeatedly) with their computers.

Does anybody really think Apple hasn't at least THOUGHT about lower-end phones? If it was worthwhile, they would have done it by now. We're approaching 4 years since the original announcement, and they haven't strayed from their single form-factor gameplan. By this time in the iPod lifecycle, they had diversified the lineup. It's just not gonna happen with the iPhone.
  • Reply 45 of 106
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleStud View Post

who cares about android market share? Not Apple, that's for sure. Once the iPhone is on multiple carriers, the "android threat" will take care of itself. Apple would much rather have less share and greater profits - they've proven this (repeatedly) with their computers.

Does anybody really think Apple hasn't at least THOUGHT about lower-end phones? If it was worthwhile, they would have done it by now. We're approaching 4 years since the original announcement, and they haven't strayed from their single form-factor gameplan. By this time in the iPod lifecycle, they had diversified the lineup. It's just not gonna happen with the iPhone.

Yeah, I hear ya'. I was just being nice. I didn't want to completely throw Android under the bus.
  • Reply 46 of 106
    jetlawjetlaw Posts: 156member
    One of Steve Jobs' core retail philosophies seems to be avoiding convoluted product lines, so I don't see this happening. Has anyone ever really picked up an iPhone in the store and said "if only it were a little bigger?"

Seems like the solution to a problem that doesn't exist.
  • Reply 47 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleStud View Post

We're approaching 4 years since the original announcement, and they haven't strayed from their single form-factor gameplan.

Don't forget the strategy of selling last-year's model alongside the current one. But in essence you are correct.

I think the relative cost of dataplans is the real reason for this. If you are forced to fly first-class, why skimp on the hotel room?

C.
  • Reply 48 of 106
    I think the smaller version iPhone will happen ... stripped down for kids and seniors ...

But they're confusing the larger version with the smaller iPad ...
  • Reply 49 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by battiato1981 View Post

I think the smaller version iPhone will happen ... stripped down for kids and seniors ...

Yeah, those seniors with their great eyes and nimble little fingers can't get enough of tiny consumer electronics.

C.
  • Reply 50 of 106
    There's no reason for an iPhone nano. They aren't going to sell an iPhone for less than $100. Keep dreaming.
  • Reply 51 of 106
    applappl Posts: 348member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shaun, UK View Post

iPhone Nano? Why not. Just add phone, bluetooth and a wireless headset to the iPod Nano and you are pretty much there.

If Apple could perfect the bluetooth headset, that would work. They would have to make something that could stay in the ear all day, like a hearing aid.

I think that current bluetooth headsets are a weak point in the chain.
  • Reply 52 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bullhead View Post

What are you talking about? I said nothing about selling devices. I talked about the struggles us developers have in testing and developing apps which run at multiple resolutions, multiple processor speeds, multiple OS versions, multiple devices etc... It does not work well if at all across all the Android devices even if they are running the same OS version.

Do you have evidence that Android development is slowing because of the factors you identify?

My point was that the ecosystem is booming despite the factors you identify. I see nothing that supports the contention that these things are "really starting to hurt Android".

Got any evidence that your struggles are hurting their platform?
  • Reply 53 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by appl View Post

If Apple could perfect the bluetooth headset, that would work. They would have to make something that could stay in the ear all day, like a hearing aid.

I think that current bluetooth headsets are a weak point in the chain.

I hardly see anyone using bluetooth headsets anymore in the UK. They seem to have died out.

Not sure why. But my guess is

1) No one wants to look like Lt. Uhura

2) Car kits are better

C.
  • Reply 54 of 106
    Guys, why do you assume that the smaller phone would be a cheaper, lower technology model?

Doesn't the progress in technology make the size of everything smaller? Could it be that a smaller "iPhone nano" will be a super high-end model?

P.S. That is rhetorical question. Just let you open your mind.
  • Reply 55 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bkerkay View Post

I think it only "seems" like it's not hurting Andriod. I think, long term, it will be bad for Andriod. Even now you hear about people (users and developers) complaining about all the different versions.

A.

Without better evidence, anybody's guess is equally good. But honestly, I think that argument sounds a lot like chicken little saying that the sky is falling.
  • Reply 56 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by appl View Post

Do you have evidence that Android development is slowing because of the factors you identify?

My point was that the ecosystem is booming despite the factors you identify. I see nothing that supports the contention that these things are "really starting to hurt Android".

Got any evidence that your struggles are hurting their platform?

I recently went to a mobile developer conference.

Like most people, developers want the best returns for a given investment in time. The consensus was that iOS returned around 5 times more than the other platforms.

C.
  • Reply 57 of 106
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    It makes more sense than a lot of people give it credit for.

When people were lamenting the fact that the iPod nano was rumored to be losing video playback I pointed out that a smaller iPod touch would better serve the people that actually wanted a nano for video playback. I still stand by that. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised to see the nano drop in price next year to make room for a smaller, cheaper iPod touch. The Touch is the new iPod line, I fully expect it to branch out to different form factors much like the iPod did and before the iPod Touch comes the iPhone.

The iPhone line is already "fragmented". New models come out annually and bring new specs and features, and this will continue to be the case in the future. Even Apples current offerings are "fragmented". They still offer an 8 GB iPhone 3GS that has a lower screen resolution, less RAM, a slower processor, a weaker camera, etc. Wouldn't it make more sense to offer a smaller phone using the current hardware at that price point? Capping the capacity alone would keep demand high for iPhones with larger screens.

That brings us to a larger screen iPhone. Usability and pocket fit arguments aside, the best selling Android phones appear to be the ones with larger screens. Why are people buying these phones? Are they buying because of the performance specs, Android, or for the screen? If they are buying because of the screen, are they simply buying it because Apple does not offer an iPhone with a screen that big? I can't help but think that there are a lot of people that fall into that category.

The one major barrier for most people is screen resolution. Let's think about it for a second. Having three different screen resolutions would still be infinitely better than the situation with Android phones. Apple could also apply some tricks to ensure compatibility across the line. The small iPhone could get the iPhone 3GS resolution, giving it slightly smaller icons and a higher pixel density than the 3GS, but lower than the retina display. The 3.5" iPhone could maintain the Retina display, as Apple says there really is no point in increasing resolution at that size. Perhaps by sometime next year, an iPhone with a ~4" screen could have a resolution double that of of the retina display. This would allow images to be easily scaled up and down across the entire lineup. There is a more compelling option though, the oft rumored resolution independence. What if it is finally coming this year? First for iOS 5, then for Mac OS 10.7? It could happen.

The macbook pro line is divided into 3 form factors, so was the iPod line (pre touch), why would we expect any different for the new portables Apple is producing (iPhone/iPod Touch)? Apple's market strategy has always been to produce one solid product, gain a foothold, and expand upon it. I suspect that there are people not buying an iPhone because of its size and I doubt Apple will leave those markets untapped.

Edit: For the record. The fragmentation argument against Android has very little to do with specs or screen resolution. The major concern is OS fragmentation, different phones running different versions of Android. Having 3 sizes of iPhones would not result in similar fragmentation, they would all run the same version of iOS.
  • Reply 58 of 106
    Pay no attention to the hand-waving of Shaw Wu. For no reason I can think of, he continues to be treated seriously here on AI, while the rest of the civilized world has seen his track record and LOL'ed.
  • Reply 59 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

They still offer an 8 GB iPhone 3GS that has a lower screen resolution, less RAM, a slower processor, a weaker camera, etc. Wouldn't it make more sense to offer a smaller phone using the current hardware at that price point?

No.

1) Because last year's model already has last years software written for it. Supporting it has zero cost.

2) Because a smaller screen means that apps / websites and everything else is less legible. Has to be recoded.

3) Saving a hundred dollars off the retail price is a poor deal for consumers when this is dwarfed by the cost of the data plan.

4) If consumers want a smaller device with less functionality, then then can already turn to a million and one other handset - none of which make a profit.

C.
  • Reply 60 of 106
    brendonbrendon Posts: 642member
    Here are too good reasons for Apple to make both larger and smaller iPhones.