Microsoft unveils plans for first nine Windows Phone 7 handsets

Comments

• Reply 181 of 333
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carniphage View Post

I agree that the WP7 looks quite credible. But I think MS would be stupid to target Apple. Apple is not their rival here.

Their real target should be Android. Their goal is persuading Android manufacturers to switch to MS. And I think the way to do that is to keep pushing their "delightful" and "personal" selling points.

My concern is that Microsoft is culturally very weak at communicating this kind of message.

An example of very bad Microsoft communication

C.

Considering how small smartphone market share is, I don't think MS is targeting anyone in specific... and at the same time, targeting everyone out there. It is not about getting market share from others, it is about getting (still) untapped market share before others.

I think RIM should be most worried at present. Everything they have achieved with their Blackberry Server piggy-back on Exchange, MS will be able to offer with integrated, native support. Likely more, in time... and with arguably more streamlined, modern units and GUI. Then there is Live integration that might hurt iOS, being the strongest gaming phone platform out there at present. At the end of a day, Android might do best (and suffer less) as MS is doing more controlled, Apple-esquire approach which does not compete directly with Android's open approach.
  • Reply 182 of 333
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dave K. View Post

It will be real interesting to see how Apple plans to differentiate their offering to ensure they stand apart of the sea of clones...

Apple does what Apple wants not because someone else is doing something. And remember that we are talking about JAAC devices here "Just Another APPLE Clone". So the real question is 'what is everyone else doing to make themselves stand out from Apple'

Quote:

Releasing a new iPhone once a year on a single carrier, isn't the way to do it.

Apple made it clear from day one that the ATT deal was limited. And they have not shut the door on unlocked phones in areas that don't legally require it.

As for the hardware,don't expect it to be more than once a year. Testing and such takes time. Apple is going to spend it and release one good phone a year than skip it or cut it down and release 2-3 so so phones. Especially when you consider that for almost every carrier 12 months is the earliest you can possibly get another upgrade (if you are paying a small fortune every month)
  • Reply 183 of 333
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

Is it not true that BB and Microsoft both have lost market share to Apple in the business sector - despite their perceived productivity prowess?

With the SDK, companies do not have to rely on Apple. They can create their own productivity tools. Which tablet dominates the landscape if not the iPad?

Er... which other tablet is out there..?

I don't think you can compare option to develop your own apps with option to integrate your phone nicely with your desktop apps and whole corporate network out of the box. Not every business wants to invest money into having their own programmers and with uncertain results...
  • Reply 184 of 333
    Bob for Windows Phone 7 phones? That interface really looks like the ADD desktop.

Also anyone besides me think it is stupid to call them "Windows Phone 7 phones"?
  • Reply 185 of 333
    applappl Posts: 348member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

Sprint support line: We're sorry. The issue you are having is a Windows Mobile OS problem. You will need to contact Microsoft customer support...

Microsoft support line: We're sorry. The issue you are having is a hardware problem. You will need to contact HTC customer support...

HTC support line: We're sorry. The issue you are having is a network problem. You will need to contact Sprint customer support...

Apple Support Line: All cellphones drop calls when held in your hand.
  • Reply 186 of 333
    gustavgustav Posts: 827member
    So which phone do I choose? Seriously, nine phones means consumer confusion. Do some phones have features that others don't? Which phone has all of the features?

I'll choose the iPhone - I know what I'm getting.
  • Reply 187 of 333
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by r00fus View Post

Instafail, whether it's 7 or 9... both are beyond the <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Magical_Number_Seven,_Plus_or_Minus_Two">avera ge person's short-term memory</a> limit (ie, between 4-7 depending on person).

Also going to cause purchase paralysis. This is why Apple only sells 1-3 versions of each of their products (ie, MacBook, MBP, iMac, MacPro, etc). People know what they're getting and have a limited choice (which promotes decision making).

At least in the Android world, there is only one "top" phone at any given time.

Microsoft, I better hope you got your business buyers primed, because for consumers, this is a face-plant of a sales strategy.

That... doesn't... make... much... sense.

Following that logic, Hugo Boss, Versace... should have only 1 man suit every year. Maybe in 2 colours (but make one impossible to find). Because having variety of suits does not promote decision making, and we all know everyone wants to wear the same suit and be another me-too, like during worldwide-nostalgic Chinese Cultural Revolution.

• Reply 188 of 333
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

I think it's an interesting ad, well done, but I think what they're selling (we can get you-- or perhaps more pointedly those other dicks who keep ramming into you-- involved in life again by making your phone so easy to use you rarely have to look at it) is nonsensical.

You're right that it might stir some interest, but I can't see that translating into sales. Windows Phone 7 will sink or swim on its merits, not some high concept "this fixes a terrible wrong" campaign.

Now, of course, this might just be an initial teaser piece, with more substantial sales pitches to come, but it sort of sounds like the hook they're going to hang the whole campaign on--"get in and get out fast." But the trouble there is that's not what people want to do with their phones. If it were, they'd already be doing it, because neither iOS or Android actually preclude, say, quickly checking your email and putting your phone away. Compulsively needing to be constantly in touch is not a failure of hardware or software, and pretending like it is really can't build good will.

Precisely.

I don't even think it will intrigue people, because they usually don't like a caricature of themselves (a justified one for that matter) thrown at them.

And some are sensible enough too to understand the whole idiocy of this campaign:

You want us to use our smart phones less and be more involved in life, so you are selling us another smart phone which is supposed to be even more intuitive to use so we are going to use it LESS than we already do.

So it's either no thanks -the defensive stance- I am already using my phone as much as I want to, or it's -the more aware stance- what the hell are you on about? If you wan't me to get a rest from email checking, texting, calendars etc. then sell me a one way trip to some god forsaken island or at the very least a dumb phone from 10 years ago.

On a side note, MS have started (alongside their track record of vapourware, bloatware, etc.) to build an impressive track record of failed and extremely misguided ad campaigns. And to me it seems the harder they try, the worse it gets. I really did mean it that the Jerry Seinfeld shoe ads and the bang bus styled laptop hunter ones, strangely enough make more sense than this admittedly very pleasing visually but colossally misguided ad. It's very funny btw how they aimed for some high concept ad, including a social phenomenon in and all, only to make it even more vapid than their previous ads.

Why can't they get a cue from apple, again, here too, and make a simple ad?

Enough with the garbage, people are very ad savvy nowadays, and most of them can smell a crock of shit. Don't patronize them on how often they use their phones or how better you are to everyone else. Because you aren't better than anyone else microsoft, and people are very aware of that, and you know why? Because they paid with their hard earned cash to get a device from someone else instead. So, seeing you are in the tight corner you painted yourselves into, just make a simple ad, because everyone knows you are not going to revolutionize shit, because you never did, because the last time you tried to have a similar campaign for the kids' phones only 534 poor kids were suckered in.

So what you should have done, is get your damn phones out there, get some of the good paid reviews out, and some of the morons in the flock commenting about them on the engadgets and the macrumors of this world, and put out a simple campaign that says hey you most probably have our os on your computer, here, we make pretty good phones too, these are our new ones, check them out. That should have been the motto.

But patronizing people on phone usage and selling them horse shit revolutions in terms of user interface isn't going to get you very far. Especially when people pick up an iphone, and they can tether, video chat, copy paste, run background apps, have tons of apps, all a touch away and you don't have any of that.

Of course one can sneakily respond to me, that's their whole point, if you have a smart phone that can't do shit you use it less and you get more involved in life. Hypothetical point well taken.
  • Reply 189 of 333
    grkinggrking Posts: 533member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gustav View Post

So which phone do I choose? Seriously, nine phones means consumer confusion. Do some phones have features that others don't? Which phone has all of the features?

I'll choose the iPhone - I know what I'm getting.

This is a common complaint on this board, that implies people are truly stupid.

As an aside, You must have a REALLY hard time going out to eat, or maybe you never go out because of all those choices. I mean a menu with lots and lots of choices. Do you ever manage to order?

It is multiple phones, but on any given carrier, there are 2 or 3. Not that big a problem.
  • Reply 190 of 333
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

That sounds contradictory to me. I gather that when most people say "the living room" in terms of electronics, they mean the TV and entertainment center. Rejiggering the meaning to also include iPad and iPhone smacks of newspeak to me.

Sure, that's why people think of when you hear living room in relation to electronics, but I tried to address where I'm coming from. It wasn't that long ago when having an electronic device that wasn't a remote control was common, much less one that connected to the Internet. My point, when using the term literally, is that Apple is fully involved in many living rooms.

PS: Note that Steve Jobs stated earlier this year that Apple was the largest mobile company (or something like that), and he pointed out that he was including notebook computers in that tally, which is something he'd have to say while it's technically accurate it's not how we tend to use the word mobile in that context.
  • Reply 191 of 333
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Yeah, the 3G is not Apple's best iPhone -- and iOS 4 adds little to the mix.

The 3G is almost 3 years old, running an iOS built for current iPhones.

Comparing that to a still-unavailable phone with vastly superior specs is not a fair or valid comparison, IMO.

The iPhone 3G is two years, four months old, you might want to wait another four months or so to say it is "almost 3 years old"
  • Reply 192 of 333
    oskiooskio Posts: 60member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CIM View Post

Microsoft is actually going to ship Windows Phone 7 (WP7) without copy and paste? Are you kidding me? What year is this?

My thought exactly! That would be like Apple shipping the iPad without a front facing camera.

oh, wait....
  • Reply 193 of 333
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mgl323 View Post

Hit or miss MS. If I didn't have my iPhone and At&t, and if I was with another carrier I would gladly try out a windows 7 phone. If I could live without multi-tasking for months or iOS 4 to be exact, I'm pretty sure I could live without cut, copy and paste.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by vexorg View Post

LOL. got me there. That is something of an exception, though. They normally lick their wounds and try harder until they get it.

Actually Zune HD is fine product. Too late to commercially compete with iDevices on it's own, but as a part of phone platform there is nothing wrong with it.
  • Reply 194 of 333
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OskiO View Post

My thought exactly! That would be like Apple shipping the iPad without a front facing camera.

oh, wait....

Cut the stupid sarcasm. Tiresome. Especially when the point you're trying to make does not wash.

When Apple introduced the iPad, it created the category. What it chose to put in or leave out is what the category had or did not. Period. The touch-bsed smartphone is now nearly a four-year-old product with a lot of credible benchmarks.
  • Reply 195 of 333
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post

That... doesn't... make... much... sense.

Following that logic, Hugo Boss, Versace... should have only 1 man suit every year. Maybe in 2 colours (but make one impossible to find). Because having variety of suits does not promote decision making, and we all know everyone wants to wear the same suit and be another me-too, like during worldwide-nostalgic Chinese Cultural Revolution.

No your analogy couldn't be further from the truth. You are comparing very different things.

A device such as a laptop or computer is something you buy and have only ONE of in the vast majority of cases. But you can (and you if you can afford it you should) buy more suits for more occasions. Suits are also much, much less about function (any suit functions the same way, while smart phone don't) and almost everything to do with style. Suits cater also to different builds and sizes of people. They cater to different seasons. Different fabrics...There's no spec sheet either with suits, Etc, etc, all in all a very failed analogy.

There's a reason why apple simplified their line, why Steve did to be precise, and it was hard earned lesson from the tech history that almost drove apple to the ground. Apparently again here microsoft refuses to learn and they dilute whatever little momentum they have with nine models. Who wouldn't be overwhelmed by having to chose and compare specs 9 models? I get a headache just thinking about it. People want to hear microsoft come up and say, here it is, after mucking about for this long, we have one or a couple of great phones, here's what they do and why they do it well. Go buy them. They are great. Simple, simple, simple...for anyone remotely following the industry....but for the morons at ms management it's not.

Shame really because I did want to see someone put google back in their place. And what I had previously suggested for ms to do where a few easy steps that would guarantee them success.

Make your own phones, choose one manufacturer, and make at most two or three phones, great in specs. Do that even for less profit.

Tightly monitor os hardware integration, finally get one or two screen sizes so you and devs can work at.

Open source parts of your os so you can hit google on it's weaker side and get geeks on your side.

Undercut apple in app store cut you are going to be getting and in developers fees yearly.

F. google over by getting your ads from bing in apps instead of google's.

Integrate your music service with some big name such as amazon so you can stand a chance to hit itunes.

Try to put on killer feature in, be it syncing over the cloud, wireless syncing at home etc. just think of something for a change and put all your available resources in that to make sure that you have a single feature no one else does.

And that's how you render a good blow to your competitors.
  • Reply 196 of 333
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LuisDias View Post

MS really did something different here,

for me the question is "Did Microsoft go a different way because their research etc told them that this is a better way? Or are they simply trying to be as not iOS as they can?"

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

I would also argue that while the iPad currently dominates the landscape, it's not geared for any kind of serious productivity. It's a netbook replacement aimed almost solely at passive consumption of media and social activities which can just as easily be done on a phone.

Actually it can be done better on the ipad. Larger screen for browsing non 'mobile friendly' websites, watching video etc.

And not geared for productivity depends on how you define the term. My company has been using ipads on set and in client meetings since they came out. We are now almost 100% paper free (still have to have those paper work forms for extras and such). I've seen them around several clients offices, restaurants, at the bank and so on. Plus I've seen apps for all sorts of uses, including one for viewing the feeds from your security cameras

Perhaps what you mean is that it is not geared for your type of productivity and that's fair. But it doesn't mean there's no usefulness for others.

Quote:

Apple hasn't announced anything in that area, and there are no rumours of them even testing different form factors for the iPad at this stage.

Then you haven't been reading. Because there have been several statements that Apple tested several sizes and forms before releasing anything. Including this precious 7 inch size that everyone is jumping on

Quote:
    Originally Posted by alanclarkdesign View Post

According to a video on the BBC website - there's no Flash?!

That is my understanding as well. However it is due to Adobe not releasing a Win 7 version of their Mobile Flash. As soon as they release it, Microsoft is ready, willing and able to support it. Compared to Apple who basically said Adobe can stick it

Quote:
    Originally Posted by appl View Post

My understanding is that only M$-approved software can be installed.

My issue with their system was the fees. If I read it right, there's a fee just to get into the program and then a fee for every upload (to the tune of something like $100 each time). Ouch

Quote:
    Originally Posted by popeyelin View Post

Android is a copy from iOS. I just think they are evil and disgusting.

For all we know, Google licensed the look and feel and the various needed tech from Apple.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by grking View Post

And exactly how is this is different from Apple approved software on iOS devices?

I believe the comment was more "I'll be dammed if anyone tells me what I can and can do on my phone. THat's why I didn't get an iphone and why I won't get a WinPhone. Or if I do, I'll jailbreak by the end of the first day."

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Denton View Post

If this has been posted elsewhere, you'll excuse me I'm sure.

Windows Phone Really? Ad

What a horrible ad. Sure it is pretty but seeing the back of the phone does nothing to sell the phone.

As cheesy as the iphone/ipod/ipad ads are, at least we are seeing the device in action

Microsoft is trying to sell the phone as a device to not use. Doesn't really work when you don't show why you won't be navel gazing at it all the time
  • Reply 197 of 333
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OskiO View Post

oh, wait....

Yeah well, with the slight difference, that when apple was selling its non camera enabled device, no one else was even close to having anything like this device available with or without a camera, whilst now that ms are selling their phone with a missing feature, everyone else has phone a few years out already, without that feature missing.

And guess what's even funnier!!!

People already accustomed to copying and pasting will pick up their shinny windows 7 phones (replacing maybe some older iphone or a less capable android phone,) they 'll then try to paste on an email say they are trying to send and as soon as they figure out that they can't do what they are so accustomed at doing, they ll fedex it straight back to Steve Balmer's orifice whence the no copy paste "function" in 2010 came from.

And then in a glorious press conference some time later ms will announce that they are proud to present service pack 1 for windows phones 7 that includes copy and paste, but not tethering of course which will come with service pack 2. As for video calling, it's on to 8 but of course you 'll have to buy a new handset too....The more it changes, the more it stays the same.
  • Reply 198 of 333
    emacs72emacs72 Posts: 356member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gustav View Post

So which phone do I choose?

the one that suits your needs and criteria.

Quote:

Do some phones have features that others don't? Which phone has all of the features?

you would have to do some reading and/or engage in some discussion(s) which is exactly what you did leading up to your purchase of the iPhone.
  • Reply 199 of 333
    You just get an iphone because you can't be arsed to look over spec sheets from 9 phones and do a mini bibliographical report on them, just to get a damn phone, there are more important things in life than trying to figure out why these bozos had 9 phones out to begin with.
  • Reply 200 of 333
    boeyc15boeyc15 Posts: 986member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post

... Apple-esquire approach which does not compete directly with Android's open approach.

I know this is just me, but is google really open? To me it's just free. Users are 'open' to use various apps. Isn't Linux really open? Symantics I guess.

Sorry for being off topic.

Back to topic, I'm sorry aesthetics do matter, and these widgets or tiles sure are ugly... IMO.

Here's hopeing iOS 5 has some limited widgets.

In the end, how much more stuff(useful hardware stuff) can they cram into these phones? Next big thing seems to be local data xfer(pay via credit card, control tv etc). Darn, off topic again, sorry.