Ballmer: Microsoft's brand 'means something' to users]

Comments

• Reply 61 of 218
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by grking View Post

Wow, what a complete non answer. You are new here, but you have mastered the old "let us change the topic of the post so we can say something bad about MS" trick quite well.

The OP said that Apple is all about the mid to high end customer, while Android and MS are all about the low end customer.

However, all of the phones cost the same, and you can even buy the 3GS for $99 which is cheaper than any of the announced WP7 phones.

So, given that price is not the differentiating factor between low and high end customers, I asked what is the determining factor.

Perhaps my post was too subtle: I was agreeing with you and extending your question/thought to the tablet market as well.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by grking View Post

Talking about tablets and choice, and phones with keyboards is irrelevant to my post, but like I said it does allow you to say bad things about MS.

Since when does one have to post two separate posts to get one's points across? I agreed with your assessment (price isn't a factor), then I expanded to include my other thoughts.

You need to take a deep breath and relax.
  • Reply 62 of 218
    cory bauercory bauer Posts: 1,286member
    I don't even know what to say. This is like trying to respond to someone who tells you with a straight face that 2AM in the morning is when the sun is at its brightest but 2PM in the afternoon is pitch black.
  • Reply 63 of 218
    grkinggrking Posts: 533member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cory Bauer View Post

I don't even know what to say. This is like trying to respond to someone who tells you with a straight face that 2AM in the morning is when the sun is at its brightest but 2PM in the afternoon is pitch black.

No this is like someone telling you it is 2 AM in the morning, and you are insisting it is 2 PM.

The headline in no way describes what Ballmer said. Beyond that, if you actually go read the CNET interview, Ballmer extensively talks about Google and Android and fragmentation, etc.
  • Reply 64 of 218
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Well in a way he's not lying. If one is a MS user then the MS brand means something and Apple not much, but he's still an idiot.
  • Reply 65 of 218
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bazaarsoft View Post

Perhaps my post was too subtle: I was agreeing with you and extending your question/thought to the tablet market as well.

You need to take a deep breath and relax.

Sorry, I misread your post.
  • Reply 66 of 218
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

Interesting.. A lot of people out there are buying Apple product simply because it comes from Apple..

I'm one of them...If Apple doesn't make it, I will pass and do without. In fact, I'm trying to simplify my digital life...since buying the iPhone 4, I've either sold or given away all my old iPhones, camera, iPods, ext. HD and my desk, file cabinet and chair.

All I want is my iPhone 4, the cloud (mobileMe, DropBox) and an iPad 3Gs....got rid of my flat screen TV (cable was too expensive and sucked), sold my first gen., AppleTV.

Will probably buy the new iteration of the MBA and sell my original iMac intel 20" desktop.

Best!
  • Reply 67 of 218
    EDIT: nvm.
  • Reply 68 of 218
    ihxoihxo Posts: 567member
    it means it's boring....
  • Reply 69 of 218
    tailstails Posts: 35member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rbonner View Post

Not sure what that means. Steve, is that you?

It's quite obvious what it means. People using Windows PC's don't use it because Windows is made by Microsoft. They use it because there's no alternative. You want to play games on your PC, you gotta use Windows. You want to use Microsoft Office (the full version, not the mac version), you gotta use Windows.

Many people buying Apple products, know in many ways that they are actually paying a premium over PC boxes, that can practically do the same thing their macs do in different ways. But they buy Apple because they like the brand and what it stands for. If anything Microsoft stands for reboots crashes and blue screens. The company actually has a bad reputation among its customers, most people who use Windows, hate it, and yet they still use it because they don't have an alternative. So Ballmer's words are really nonsense. Apple is actually a primary example in brand name in textbooks. Apple brand is like a cult, and it's mocked a lot, in forums like this even, that whatever Apple makes is immediately golden because of it. That's how much power the brand name has.
  • Reply 70 of 218
    Here is a link to the interview.

http://cnettv.cnet.com/ballmer-talks...-50094357.html

No where does he say anything about Apple's brand not meaning anything.
  • Reply 71 of 218
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shadash View Post

How many people are using Windows PCs? That's also a good measure of how much a brand means to consumers.

The bare fact that a device is sold in a larger quantity than another one doesn't mean automatically that it is a better choice or product. I guess Ferrari is a good exemple of this for the sake of discussion. ( without any bad intent)
  • Reply 72 of 218
    Do I go with the "At last proof that Steve Balmer lives in Bizzaroland" comment, or with the "well, he didn't say that Microsofts brand means something POSITIVE..." comment? Decisions, decisions.
  • Reply 73 of 218
    Quote:

So the government mandated that 95% of the customers buy a Windows PC? That's news to me.

No, but many many companies have mandated that their workers buy or use a Windows PC.
  • Reply 74 of 218
    Quote:

How many people are using Windows PCs? That's also a good measure of how much a brand means to consumers.

Except its not in this case.

The programs people want to use are on windows. Hence they buy windows, no matter what they actually think about the product, its the one that enables them to use the product they want.
  • Reply 75 of 218
    steve ballmer is a true freak of nature and quite frankly an embarrassment to himself and his company. i really don't know why anyone has any interest in what he has to say. i'd rather watch fox and listen to their crap. ... ok, maybe not that. i think if i were steve jobs and had the constipation, all i'd need to do is watch this video... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvsboPUjrGc
  • Reply 76 of 218
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Retired Citizen View Post

The bare fact that a device is sold in a larger quantity than another one doesn't mean automatically that it is a better choice or product. I guess Ferrari is a good exemple of this for the sake of discussion. ( without any bad intent)

or the iPod?
  • Reply 77 of 218
    "Did you fall down and smack your little head on the pavement?"
  • Reply 78 of 218
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

There's another possibility: he has to defend his products. He has no other choice. I mean, he can't just come out and say, "yeah, we got nothin folks so you can all go run back to your iPhones and iPads." No CEO could say that in public. It's his job to sell what Microsoft brung to the market. If he doesn't defend Microsoft in public, the Board will certainly have grounds to fire him.

There's not promoting your competitors, and then there's groundless trash talk that makes you look like an idiot. Other CEOs seem to have a more respectful stump time along the lines of "We respect what X are doing, but thing Y is a better direction for what our consumers want"
  • Reply 79 of 218
    shadashshadash Posts: 470member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Retired Citizen View Post

Agreed its not just about numbers. Ferrari being a terrific brand doesn't take anything away from Toyota though.
  • Reply 80 of 218
    Poor little bastard... For the normal person this "brand" means total crap and POS....