Ballmer: Microsoft's brand 'means something' to users]

Comments

• Reply 81 of 218
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shadash View Post

This headline does not fairly characterize Ballmer's words. He does not say "Apple's not so much." He does not say Apple's brand "means nothing to the user." The quote could just as easily been directed at the myriad of Android phones as Apple. Seems more attention grabbing and link baiting than actual news.

Based on the context I think he was talking about android. It is almost like it was a canned statement he memorized to respond to android questions and happened to use it after say something about apple.

Even directed at the Android market I think he is still off base. My discussions with folks at work indicated that Android has a better brand image than MSFT.
  • Reply 82 of 218
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by grking View Post

or the iPod?

You're right. After all, I should have add the Zune on the list. The reason I didn't is very simple: I've never seen one close enough to make an assessment on it.
  • Reply 83 of 218
    rbonnerrbonner Posts: 635member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tails View Post

It's quite obvious what it means. People using Windows PC's don't use it because Windows is made by Microsoft. They use it because there's no alternative. You want to play games on your PC, you gotta use Windows. You want to use Microsoft Office (the full version, not the mac version), you gotta use Windows.

Many people buying Apple products, know in many ways that they are actually paying a premium over PC boxes, that can practically do the same thing their macs do in different ways. But they buy Apple because they like the brand and what it stands for. If anything Microsoft stands for reboots crashes and blue screens. The company actually has a bad reputation among its customers, most people who use Windows, hate it, and yet they still use it because they don't have an alternative. So Ballmer's words are really nonsense. Apple is actually a primary example in brand name in textbooks. Apple brand is like a cult, and it's mocked a lot, in forums like this even, that whatever Apple makes is immediately golden because of it. That's how much power the brand name has.

Well put, agree!
  • Reply 84 of 218
    jwsjws Posts: 7member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by halfyearsun View Post

Agreed about the quotes taken out of context.

On another note, the statement that there are more ipads than he'd like to see is classless. It is a sad state when you need a competitor to fail in order for you to succeed

Quote of the month. Thank you!
  • Reply 85 of 218
    bilbo63bilbo63 Posts: 285member
    Ballmer has no clue whatsoever. And that's fine by me, he provides great entertainment.

He continually spouts off about why Apple's products aren't what people want yet he's always wrong. You think by now he might decide to pull off a "summer of George" and just do the opposite.

Apple's phone isn't going to appeal to everyone, it was only meant to appeal to the majority. Most of us don't need 15 different iPhones to choose from, we just need one that suits our needs. That's been shown to be true. The iPad was never meant to be all things to all people, but hit the sweet-spot of what most people need. That's been shown to be true.

The iPad was never supposed to replace a laptop in all cases, but it certainly can in many cases. That's the point Ballmer! While you're chasing your tail trying to please everyone, Android and Apple will continue to piss in your Cornflakes!

Every time Ballmer opens his mouth I always wonder what holy nugget of a comedy gem the guy is going to spew next. He clearly doesn't get it, which is precisely why Microsoft continues to be a fading company with little future. I don't see that changing anytime soon.
  • Reply 86 of 218
    hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha what a joke.
  • Reply 87 of 218
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Ballmer's trolling Apple fans
  • Reply 88 of 218
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:

Again, this makes no sense. The phones cost the same - the iPhone is not more expensive than an Android or WP7 phone, so how are Android and WP7 customers low end?

One (word) ..... BOGO.
  • Reply 89 of 218
    grkinggrking Posts: 533member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by newbee View Post

One (word) ..... BOGO.

Please show me any evidence that WP7 phones will be subjected to a BOGO.
  • Reply 90 of 218
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

Most people haven't worked out that he wasn't attacking Apple's brand, despite the headline.

Whatever.

/Gets popcorn

I watched the first part-- Balmer neither attacked Apple's brand nor Apple's standards. Clearly those criticisms were aimed at Google.

• Reply 91 of 218
    axualaxual Posts: 244member
    Steve Ballmer is out of touch ... in fact, if he were smart and forward thinking, he would be developing iPad apps. But instead, he complains and whines like a big baby for the most part.

I will never buy a Microsoft product until Microsoft alters it's approach to customers and it's products.
  • Reply 92 of 218
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by podboq View Post

It's getting really tedious that companies can't build appreciation for their products without tearing down a competitor's.

Most are guilty of it, I know, doesn't make my statement any less true.

Maybe I'm just oblivious, but I'm not aware of Sony always attacking Toshiba, or Panasonic, or Phillips, or the other way around. GM doesn't bash Ford. Porsche doesn't make snide remarks about Volvo. Chase doesn't criticize Bank of America. Mostly the just promote the virtues of their own products. Sure, there's comparisons.... but most of the bashing comes from users/fans/clubs, not the manufacturers.

Except when it comes to Apple & Microsoft. It's like they hire political campaign managers to be consultants to their marketing departments. Apple has been the lead basher pretty much since the introduction of the Mac. Sometimes it's amusing, but mostly I find their whole "I'm a Mac. I'm a PC" ads to be distasteful. Apple tends to act like a whiney spoiled brat. It's annoying even if the products are great.

Ballmer's attacks are just insulting. His arguments are often stooooopid. I doubt that he is stupid, but he expects me to be dumb enough to believe his drivel. He insults my intelligence.
  • Reply 93 of 218
    Quote:

This is very confusing. All of the released phones cost $199, same as the iPhone 4, and you can buy the 3Gs for $99. So, if MS customers are cheapskates, are Apple customers destitute?

Only after we have purchased all the different Apple products.
  • Reply 94 of 218
    All Microsoft means to me is cheap, unreliable, products that will let you down at important times.
  • Reply 95 of 218
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigdaddyp View Post

Only after we have purchased all the different Apple products.

true enough

As an aside, ever since the WP7 announcement, there have been a whole lot of new posters. I wonder what is up.
  • Reply 96 of 218
    walshbjwalshbj Posts: 864member
    Ballmer is ready for politics. Say something enough times and lots of people will start to believe it. Maybe he'll run for President of the United States.
  • Reply 97 of 218
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:

Please show me any evidence that WP7 phones will be subjected to a BOGO.

Obviously, until the product appears in the marketplace, WP7 is excluded .... however Android has already gone that route and previous offerings from MSF have also gone the BOGO route, so it isn't much of a stretch to "predict" the same for WP7.

http://phandroid.com/2010/02/16/buy-...izon-wireless/
  • Reply 98 of 218
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by newbee View Post

Obviously, until the product appears in the marketplace, WP7 is excluded .... however Android has already gone that route and previous offerings from MSF have also gone the BOGO route, so it isn't much of a stretch to "predict" the same for WP7.

http://phandroid.com/2010/02/16/buy-...izon-wireless/

Sure it is. Two different companies, two different approaches to the phone and OS.
  • Reply 99 of 218
    Well, now that is interesting. AI changed the title of the article and removed the "Apple not so much" part.

So, how many who railed against MS for the "not so much" part are going to man up and admit they were wrong?
  • Reply 100 of 218
    mnbmnb Posts: 15member
    This just in... Steve Ballmer is STILL clueless.