Google VP, TweetDeck CEO refute comments from Apple's Steve Jobs

15678911»

Comments

• Reply 201 of 218
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Change your app's name to TwitterDeck. Not that big of a deal.

(http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2009/...big-of-a-deal/

in case you were wondering what I'm referring to)
  • Reply 202 of 218
    carniphagecarniphage Posts: 1,984member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by appl View Post

Given that is true, why isn't Apple the number one phone maker? Why isn't iOS the number one seller currently?

By profit, it is. By a huge margin.

Which cellphone manufacturer do think *is* number one?

C.
  • Reply 203 of 218
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by davesw View Post

DEVELOPERS BEHOLD!!! .....the OPEN Android Architecture.

Just make sure your apps will run on this list of every modded ROM and custom UI of Android.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I'm trying to decide between the VanillaEclair 4.0 and the Donut SlimFast v1.0 M003

You guys...ummm...do realize that most of these custom ROMs are based off of the vanilla Android 2.1/2.2 right? If you write a program for 2.1/2.2, then chances are good that these custom ROMs will have no issues running that app.

The same can be said of jailbroken iPhones. Do developers need to target each and every one of those jailbroken iPhones to run their app? If it's for a specific function that requires a jailbroken iPhone, then yes. Otherwise, all normal apps run just fine.
  • Reply 204 of 218
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

3 times.

1) Steve's missive on Flash. He was dead on, and it put Adobe completely on their asses defending the indefensible.

And yet for all his ranting Apple blinked and completely backpedaled: their bizarre restrictions on which languages programmers can use has been tossed out, and now CS5 can be used to develop Flash-based apps for iOS.

Quote:

2) The antenna conference. Again, put the others on the defensive as they suddenly had to defend their own clay feet.

Ultimately Apple admitted it was a real problem and addressed it with hardware and software changes.

Quote:

3) Calling the emperor on his clothes by pointing out that 'open' is a ruse, and making the competitors post silly and hypocritical 'rebuttals'.

Steve's constant reference "open" is merely a distraction; Google talks less about it than Jobs does. In reality, iOS growth rate has peaked or by some metrics begun to fall back, while Andoid's surged over the same six-month period by 886%. It's not about being "open", but being more open than completely closed and fully at the whims of one individual is apparently attractive to a great many developers, and in turn that has helped attract customers.

Quote:

Best defense is a good offense. Go Steve.

The man is just high on his recovery drugs, others blinded by Stockholm Syndrome. Analysts are beginning to take note.
  • Reply 205 of 218
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RationalTroll View Post

And yet for all his ranting Apple blinked and completely backpedaled: their bizarre restrictions on which languages programmers can use has been tossed out, and now CS5 can be used to develop Flash-based apps for iOS.

That?s like saying that Apple reversed their decision to include an app instead of actually planning it all along. Perhaps you need to learn how intelligent people and companies conduct themselves, by creating solid foundations and building upon that.

Don?t be the kid that takes one Karate class at the local Y and thinks he?s Bruce Lee for the next two weeks. Learn your limitations and build off your strengths without spreading yourself thin or you might just end up bitter and angry at world? or Apple (or wait, too late).
  • Reply 206 of 218
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

That?s like saying that Apple reversed their decision to include an app instead of actually planning it all along.

The rest of your post was just more senseless personal attacks, but at least this tidbit was midly interesting: So you're suggesting that Apple never intended to block Flash development for iOS, and the whole Section 3.3.1 debacle was some clever ruse?

Interesting....
  • Reply 207 of 218
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gwydion View Post

And why they have to buy 244 handsets?

That's my question too. Wouldn't the emulator catch a majority of the software bugs?
  • Reply 208 of 218
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RationalTroll View Post

Ultimately Apple admitted it was a real problem and addressed it with hardware and software changes.

Steve's constant reference "open" is merely a distraction; Google talks less about it than Jobs does. In reality, iOS growth rate has peaked or by some metrics begun to fall back, while Andoid's surged over the same six-month period by 886%. It's not about being "open", but being more open than completely closed and fully at the whims of one individual is apparently attractive to a great many developers, and in turn that has helped attract customers.

The man is just high on his recovery drugs, others blinded by Stockholm Syndrome. Analysts are beginning to take note.

What a bunch of bitter drivel. I feel sorry for you, no everyone else around you. It must suck to be in the same room with someone that works so hard to turn everything into a negative.

I really like how you spin a 92% increase quarter over quarter, the largest increase ever, including previous holiday quarter increases as being a growth rate that has "peaked or by some metrics begun to fall back". How an ever increasing slope looks like its flattening must mean you have discovered some new properties of mathematics! You'll be famous!
  • Reply 209 of 218
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AsianBob View Post

You guys...ummm...do realize that most of these custom ROMs are based off of the vanilla Android 2.1/2.2 right? If you write a program for 2.1/2.2, then chances are good that these custom ROMs will have no issues running that app.

That's the problem -- based on -- not they are the same.

Quote:

The same can be said of jailbroken iPhones. Do developers need to target each and every one of those jailbroken iPhones to run their app? If it's for a specific function that requires a jailbroken iPhone, then yes. Otherwise, all normal apps run just fine.

Give credit to the jailbreakers, the only muddled with the parts of the ROM they had to, the rest is still the same. Not any guarantee of that with different handset makers, and quite a bit of evidence that they ARE muddling about with them breaking seamless compatibility.
  • Reply 210 of 218
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    People still play Angry Birds?

Been there, done that, hey what's it like with Ads added?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by phoebetech View Post

I don't know about you but Angry Birds works just fine on my Vibrant and the 2 million downloads means that it works many handsets. I guess Apple is working with a limited skillset which is why they find it (Android) so difficult.

• Reply 211 of 218
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by os2baba View Post

I don't use Twitter or any social networking application. So I can't comment on the Twitter app. What I can comment on however is that my two Android apps have moved from 1.1 to 2.2 very easily and work the same on every single Android phone I have used. And it's the same app that works on all versions of Android - not one for each version or device. I have a difficult time taking any developer saying that there is fragmentation on Android seriously. Incidentally, I also tested my apps on the emulator with the Samsung Tab's resolution and it worked like a champ there as well.

You have 2 apps... and moved them from one Android version to another...

Don't mean to be flippant, but what does that prove?

We have 497 apps across:

2 iPads @ iOS 4.2 Beta 3

1 iPhone 4 @ iOS 4.2 Beta 3

1 iPhone 3GS @ iOS 4.1

1 iPhone 3G @ iOS 4.1

3 iPhone (Day 1) at iOS 3.1.3

Except for a few apps that are device, feature or OS release-specific -- all apps run on all devices.

• Reply 212 of 218
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Don't you think it is a bit backward to be hassling people for just getting Angry Birds when the Mac community is going crazy with just getting Steam and the Orange Box games now?
  • Reply 213 of 218
    gwydiongwydion Posts: 1,083member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Except for a few apps that are device, feature or OS release-specific -- all apps run on all devices.

Can you understand that is exactly the same on Android?
  • Reply 214 of 218
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

No, no it?s not. Did iOS v3.0 come out on an iPhone after iOS v4.0? Nada. Did the iPhone 3G get released after the iPhone 4? No. Did the iPhone 3G with a 600MHz ARM11 get released after the 3GS with a Cortex-A8 CPU? Newp. Each HW and iOS revision is linear, not lateral with multiple fallbacks making it more difficult and cumbersome for consumers and developers.

It?s really pretty simple. Next Summer iOS v5.0 will have more features than iOS v4.0. It will be installable on the iPhone 5, iPhone 4 and iPhone 3GS, having 3 full years of OS updates and support. Not all features of iOS v5.0 will be available on all models and sane users will understand that their 1yo+ or 2yo+ device may not get a feature that relays on the newer HW the newer device to run properly. Additionally, sane iPod Touch users understand that an app that needs HW that their device doesn?t have won?t work.

Again, it?s a linear progression of the HW and OS, not a Mandelbrot Set.
  • Reply 215 of 218
    gwydiongwydion Posts: 1,083member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

No, no it?s not. Did iOS v3.0 come out on an iPhone after iOS v4.0? Nada. Did the iPhone 3G get released after the iPhone 4? No. Did the iPhone 3G with a 600MHz ARM11 get released after the 3GS with a Cortex-A8 CPU? Newp. Each HW and iOS revision is linear, not lateral with multiple fallbacks making it more difficult and cumbersome for consumers and developers.

It?s really pretty simple. Next Summer iOS v5.0 will have more features than iOS v4.0. It will be installable on the iPhone 5, iPhone 4 and iPhone 3GS, having 3 full years of OS updates and support. Not all features of iOS v5.0 will be available on all models and sane users will understand that their 1yo+ or 2yo+ device may not get a feature that relays on the newer HW the newer device to run properly. Additionally, sane iPod Touch users understand that an app that needs HW that their device doesn?t have won?t work.

Again, it?s a linear progression of the HW and OS, not a Mandelbrot Set.

Can you tell me what all you have said has anything to do with I'm saying?
  • Reply 216 of 218
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    So why can't I use Fring on a SonyEricsson X10?

Quote:

• Reply 217 of 218
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hiro View Post

That's the problem -- based on -- not they are the same.

You seem to understand what I mean, but yet you don't. From what I understand, when the new Android OS source is posted by Google, the custom ROM devs download it and use that as the base to build their ROMs from. The "outside" parts might be different from ROM to ROM, but the core OS is still intact. The evidence of this is that you can see the exact same apps in the Market as you can if you were running a device you just pulled out of a box.

Only the very vague custom ROMs will muddle with the core Android OS. Most of those are used for experimentation anyway, so mainstream compatibility isn't an issue.

Quote:

Give credit to the jailbreakers, the only muddled with the parts of the ROM they had to, the rest is still the same. Not any guarantee of that with different handset makers, and quite a bit of evidence that they ARE muddling about with them breaking seamless compatibility.

I do give the jailbreaker devs their credit for being able to bring the customization to iOS that it lacks. This is no different than what Android custom ROM devs do.
  • Reply 218 of 218
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

The ads don't interfere with the game as much as you want to make it out to. The only place ads show up is for about 5 seconds when the level first starts (when you're getting a view of the pigs' fortress). It then disappears for the rest of the gameplay until the next level or if you restart it.