RIM: Problems with 7-inch tablets only exist in Apple's 'distortion field'

Comments

• Reply 81 of 344
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

You shouldn't rise to the bait with this guy.

I'm genuinely curious see him embarrass himself.
  • Reply 82 of 344
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Archipellago View Post

Didn't think i needed to list them? Anyway, for anyone outside the reality distortion field....

Any SONY MP3 player is far better noise production wise than anything the iPod has ever offered. Heck even the Creative ones are better and the Zune HD is better for noise and picture..

Funny, I don't see all the audiophiles carrying Zunes at any of the events I've ever gone to.

Quote:

the iPad is a lovely piece of hardware, crippled by useless production software. Browsing the web, watching a movie its Ok but if I want to do something professional, productive and compatible then I pull out a PC laptop which was half the price and will likely last twice the amount of time an Apple laptop will last (in my experience).

Strange. All my customers (of a huge well known software/hardware company) are asking us to make software for iPad. And my customers intend to use them broadly in health sciences and pharma industries. And you obviously have never used an Apple laptop in say, 5 years.

Quote:

OSX is held up as the bastion of OS development..... but Win 7 is clearly better in nearly every way. Heck the new Ubu is better than OSX.

Now you're just smokin' crack.

Quote:

Any phone..as a phone is better than the iPhone, pick any manufacturer you like. iOS UI is so dated and poor now its not funny. Android just wipes the floor with it. You can set Android up so that the number of times you have to press an icon is so small it doesn't matter.

Scratch that....make that METH.

Quote:

Pressing icon buttons to get to a Wifi network setting is so 2007!!!

With an Esctasy chaser.

Quote:

lets not forget the TCO of iPhone too, in some places its 3 or 4 times the cost of other 3g phones.

And your proof...is?

Quote:

Vertical integration always fails.....always will.

Enjoyed your D+'s in business school, eh?

Quote:

Enjoy the good times, they won't last forever

See you in five years on that one.
  • Reply 83 of 344
    tofinotofino Posts: 697member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

ooooh...

Steve's arrow hits another soft spot.

Great stuff.

Nobody stirs up shit like our Dear Leader! :-P
  • Reply 84 of 344
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

When I heard rumors of a 7" iPad I cut out a 7" piece of paper and tried it out. Trust me - when Jobs said it's a bad idea - he not lying. It's a terrible size. It's too big to fit in your pocket and too small to be much more useful than a smartphone. If the Android tablet's were 9" I'd say something. 7" is trying to be too many things, and it will be neither, well. There's a reason most people like 13" laptops, it's a sweet-spot. Well it's consider the sweet-spot.

100% agree here. 7" is a total failure. If the iPad rivals really try this they are toast.

Sweet Spot : The term originally referred to various pieces of sporting equipment, notably cricket and baseball bats and tennis rackets
  • Reply 85 of 344
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sevenfeet View Post

Funny, I don't see all the audiophiles carrying Zunes at any of the events I've ever gone to.

Strange. All my customers (of a huge well known software/hardware company) are asking us to make software for iPad. And my customers intend to use them broadly in health sciences and pharma industries. And you obviously have never used an Apple laptop in say, 5 years.

Now you're just smokin' crack.

Scratch that....make that METH.

Whatever.

And your proof...is?

Enjoyed your D+'s in business school, eh?

See you in five years on that one.

Excellent summations. Brief, to the point and accurate.
  • Reply 86 of 344
    coraxcorax Posts: 47member
    Quote:

Not exactly. it also shaves off screen-size, which saves battery. The battery wouldn't be much different.

Battery would be different in a 7" inch enclosure. Power usage from a 7" screen is a little fraction less than a 9,7" screen uses.

À lot of power usage goes to the SoC, WiFi, Bluetooth, 3G, GPS, etc...
  • Reply 87 of 344
    applappl Posts: 348member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TNSF View Post

The proof is in the pudding.

iPhone: outselling Blackberry

iPad: oustelling Playbook

Android Phones: outselling iPhones

Windows: outselling OS X

C'mon. Let's not start up with market share. It's a non-winner for Apple except in the MP3 player market.
  • Reply 88 of 344
    Quote:

I'll tell you in a minute.

Yeah!
  • Reply 89 of 344

I have to wonder what drives the child who wants to grow to be a co-CEO

• Reply 90 of 344
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I have to wonder what drives the child who wants to grow to be a co-CEO

Oh Co ... missed that!

West coasters have to allow for the wine / time lag on the east coast.
  • Reply 91 of 344
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pennywse View Post

Same ol', Same ol' ...

Flash this, blah blah blah, flash that, blah blah blah. Flash is a bloated mess and an absolute battery WHORE! It's the cause of most crashes of all browsers and is CLOSED proprietary software, which is ironically the same thing they seem to be railing against. Hypocrites! IF they got off their collective butts and really invested time and money into HTML5, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Oh and I say when iPhone opens up to Verizon, and the other two baby cellphone companies, you are going to see a HUGE growth spurt. I personally know many friends who are waiting and once CDMA phones drop, it's on like donkey kong ... sorry I had to throw that in there.

Oh... As a white guy, I was told it was called Honky Dong!

• Reply 92 of 344
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Responding to Apple Chief Executive Steve Jobs' claims that a touchscreen tablet with a 7-inch screen is too small to use, a co-CEO of Research in Motion said the comments do not apply to users "who live outside of Apple's distortion field."

The comments made Tuesday by RIM's Jim Balsillie are, of course, meant to defend his company's 7-inch PlayBook tablet set to launch in early 2011. Balsillie said he thinks customers are "getting tired of being told what to think by Apple."

Open your eyes Balsillie...

Apple is not telling people what to think... they are explaining "the why" to your future dismal sales numbers! Doofus!!

• Reply 93 of 344
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by appl View Post

C'mon. Let's not start up with market share. It's a non-winner for Apple except in the MP3 player market.

You are on good form tonight. Comedy Central will be coming a knockin'
  • Reply 94 of 344
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by appl View Post

You can only compare Brands'/producers. Androids are so many different manufacturers, iPhone is from only 1 manufacturer.

Os X is on only Apples Macs, compared to Windows on so many different manufacturers...
  • Reply 95 of 344
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Corax View Post

Battery would be different in a 7" inch enclosure. Power usage from a 7" screen is a little fraction less than a 9,7" screen uses.

À lot of power usage goes to the SoC, WiFi, Bluetooth, 3G, GPS, etc...

Are you sure about that. Isn't the power consumption of the screen going to be the same as the increase in the area? Both are related to the square law. Not my field of expertise but it seems to sound right. Please correct me if I am wrong. Isn't a 7" diagonal is about half (roughly) that of a 10" diagonal in area so therefor half in power consumption too.
  • Reply 96 of 344
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,192member
    Customers "who live outside of Apple's distortion field"? I guess that would be anyone who lives where the 10" iPad is not available.
  • Reply 97 of 344
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I kind of wondered where SJ was coming from on that one. If 7" is too small for a touch interface isn't that sort of a problem for an iPhone and iPod Touch as well. I think a 7" iPad would be pretty cool. I hope they'll make one someday.

Steve was saying that a iPad control (30% larger than a usable iPhone control) scaled down to a 7" tablet (49% smaller than an iPad) would be too small.

He was right -- the resulting control would be 70% as large as the original iPhone control.

A control is a key, button, a slider, the area needed to pinch or flick, etc.

His point: Just as an iPad app needs to be rethought and designed differently from an iPhone app -- the 7" tablet app would introduce the need for a third "rethink and redesign".

As an iOS developer, I understand completely! And it can change everything.

• Reply 98 of 344
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

Customers "who live outside of Apple's distortion field"? I guess that would be anyone who lives where the 10" iPad is not available.

And we already know that doesn't include Pitcairn Island Seriously it is a lame attempt at defense isn't it? When people resort to one liners you know they are in trouble. They will find out soon enough Steve is correct.
  • Reply 99 of 344
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by satchmo View Post

Are you saying you'd hold up a 7" device to your head to use as a phone?

No, I'm saying for the one or two phone calls month I receive, I'd use the speaker.

What people forget is that the iPhone and the iPad are a lot of things to a lot of people. One size just doesn't' "fit all." There are a lot of people like me who have no use for the phone whatsoever but have an iPhone because it's the closest thing to that portable computer we have all been waiting years for.

I communicate almost exclusively by email and I prefer it over almost any other method most of the time. I don't actually even understand folks who insist on using the old fashioned teleophonic communicator device. It's inefficient, and almost always leads to an inaccurate exchange of information, but to each their own I guess.

I want a portable tablet computer. I don't just want a telephone with some computer elements to it, (iPhone) and I don't want a portable TV with some computer elements to it (iPad). I want a workable, portable tablet computer that I can write on and draw on just as if it was writing and drawing in a paper book (like the ones I've been carrying around since the age of 16 while *waiting* for someone to come up with a portable tablet computer).

I guess my bad attitude comes from wanting this for so many years, and to be so close to getting it, but having Steve jobs just decide by his own self that "people don't want that." I'd bet there are a few million of us out there that *do* want that, but I guess we won't find out for a couple of years because that's how long it usually takes for Steve Jobs to climb off his high horse and reverse a "Steve Decision" like the one he's just made about smaller tablets.

He's right most of the time, but that doesn't mean he can't be wrong, and he's always had a giant stick up his bum about being wrong and admitting it when he is. I'll believe smaller tablets are bad when he comes up with a serious cogent argument as to why they are. What he's said so far is just BS.
  • Reply 100 of 344
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Are you sure about that. Isn't the power consumption of the screen going to be the same as the increase in the area? Both are related to the square law. Not my field of expertise but it seems to sound right. Please correct me if I am wrong. Isn't a 7" diagonal is about half (roughly) that of a 10" diagonal in area so therefor power consumption.

Yes the screen is about half in size, but not in powerconsumption of the total device, since it'll rely on the same components, but batteryspace will be around half inside.