Angry Birds maker apologizes for Android fragmentation issues

Comments

• Reply 101 of 276
    Phone makers should make their own os instead of relying on google android !!
  • Reply 102 of 276
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

Buying apps is so easy and they're so cheap, it seems like an even bigger hassle to try and pirate them! KIDS might pirate them, but people with jobs have no reason to.

While I agree that people with jobs have no reason to pirate apps, that doesn't mean they don't.

I work with a guy who walks around about once a month "advertising" that he will jailbreak your iPhone for you for $10. Part of his pitch is that "you could have gotten all those Apps on your phone for FREE if it was jailbroken. Why would you pay for them if you can get them for free?"

His pitch works. He ends up jailbreaking phones all the time. Now he's pushing Android apps for free, too.

Along those same lines, I know plenty of employed adults who download music from LimeWire and torrent their movies.
  • Reply 103 of 276
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alexkhan2000 View Post

Some people do and some people don't. Why bother posting if it's not an issue to you? There are plenty of industry analysts and the vendors of the handset devices considering this very issue. Samsung recently hinted that it will be focusing more on the WP7 platform than Android in the future. LG is also putting more of its focus on WP7. Why have Nokia, RIM, and HP rejected the adoption of Android? They don't want to be part of the fragmentation chaos. It's also what Steve Jobs repeatedly talked about at the last earnings call.

Yep. Consistency of interface and design. WP7 will prove to be a major threat to Android if MS truly puts its resources behind this and does it right. MS will do what Google isn't doing: provide a much more consistent development platform and UI for programmers to provide apps and services. Apple will still be better at this since they control the whole widget, but WP7 phone will be the one to watch coming up.
  • Reply 104 of 276
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tjw View Post

I have an iphone 3g with the latest software too. I would happily swap it for any android phone and I am just waiting for gingerbread to come out before I do. The 3g is the slowest piece of crap phone ever. Apple's code must be seriously bloated to slow my phone down to over a minute to open bloody safari.

PS. Why don't you just install the update http://www.intomobile.com/2010/08/11...ting-handsets/ or root it? Or are you technically disabled?

Boy, you just keep buying shitty Apple hardware that you hate, don't you?
  • Reply 105 of 276
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

Of course it is not. Android offers CHOICE, iOS does not. Fragmentation is overblown by the apple press. As just posted, a skin or UI overlay is not fragmentation.

Say the rabid little Schmidt licking Adnroid fan boy. Dance, puppet.
  • Reply 106 of 276
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    Quote:

Of course it is not. Android offers CHOICE, iOS does not. Fragmentation is overblown by the apple press. As just posted, a skin or UI overlay is not fragmentation.

It is if it's Blur and it breaks std Android softkey API expectations...
  • Reply 107 of 276
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Quote:

PS. Why don't you just install the update http://www.intomobile.com/2010/08/11...ting-handsets/ or root it? Or are you technically disabled?

I have to laugh at this stupid and juvenile post. Please, tell that to my technically-disabled-but-accomplished-dentist wife. She would look at you like you're an alien and ask you nicely "why do I need to serve the phone instead of the other way around?"
  • Reply 108 of 276
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by White Rabbit View Post

Why are there so many people who despise Apple and it's products parking their carcasses on AI? Are they paid to do so? What do they gain from the constant sniping? They have an automatic gag-reflex with anything pro-Apple or anti-other. I can't understand why they are here except to annoy people, seriously can't you go elsewhere? If you cannot coherently and logically argue your case, I would prefer not to read your posts. Although there is some comedy relief in these ridiculous posts.

Don't worry about the noise. Just go with the flow. If these fellows leave, others will crawl out of the woodwork to replace them.

Indifference towards Apple could be a worse insult than anger, so be thankful for small mercies.
  • Reply 109 of 276
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Firefly7475 View Post

Dropping to his level == no points for either of you.

I'm sorry but sometimes I just cannot let his nonsense stand.
  • Reply 110 of 276
    ruel24ruel24 Posts: 432member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ihxo View Post

Yeah, Mac OS is done already, what you call Mac OS nowadays really is NeXTSTEP (Apple edition).

This is both good and bad. Even though Mac OS 9 and before had some limitations in some areas, I miss certain things about it. The things it was lacking could have been added. I think the move to NextStep was more than just moving to a better undercarriage, but it represented, in the minds of users, a giant leap forward because it was such a drastic change - one that Apple pulled off very well.
  • Reply 111 of 276
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

GM offers far more models of car than Porsche does. I guess that means GM is a better car because you have more choice.

Porsche, for a very long time, ranked very low in quality on both initial quality and long term quality by JD Powers, who, unlike Consumer Reports, actually goes about things on a more realistic manner. As a matter of fact, they've routinely ranked below many GM brands. Only recently has that changed. Also, as a note, both Buick and Cadillac have routinely been in the top 5 of their rankings.

Just because you pay more, doesn't mean you get more. You pay for the badge, and that's little more than in the minds of the buyer. Porsche's nameplate is based on their racing history, and most of that was in racing American makers weren't even participating in. Ford actually has a more illustrious racing history than Porsche. To me, they're little more than a glorified Volkswagen Beetle that was financed by Adolph Hitler - the biggest mass murder in recent history. That's exactly the humble beginnings from which they came.
  • Reply 112 of 276
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

iOS also has some fragmentation, just not as bad as Android. 3 screen resolutions, 4 generations of processing power on the iPhone, a few on iPod Touches and of course 1 generation of iPads. Different memory sizes.

Again, not nearly as bad, but there is something.

This is a ridiculous, pointless caveat. Of course Apple incorporates technology upgrades and creates new products, so of course developers must account for legacy products using older technologies. That's the very nature of technology. They only way for Apple or ANY company to avoid this would be to produce one product and then never upgrade it. No one would ever do this, of course, since it means you'd sell a product for a year or so and then let your competitors' superior wares stomp all over you. Even developers would avoid a company that did this, since selling upgrades is impossible on a dead (but not fragmented!) platform.

By innovating and upgrading along a reasonably predictable path, Apple creates more opportunity than difficulty for develoipers.

Just a strikingly thoughtless comment.
  • Reply 113 of 276
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by davesw View Post

tell me something i don't know.

Android = the Windows of mobile.

Android = the Windows of mobile + (customized user interface * no. of manufacturers * no. of service providers)

About to join gobs app stores will make the platform easy to use. Imagine there can be malware store out there.
  • Reply 114 of 276
    Now we know why those birds were so angry! Over Android fragmentation!
  • Reply 115 of 276
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by davesw View Post

ANDROID = What's the point in being OPEN when your phone is JUNK?

Oh, you're a big boy aren't you?
  • Reply 116 of 276
    Quote:

I have an iphone 3g with the latest software too. I would happily swap it for any android phone and I am just waiting for gingerbread to come out before I do. The 3g is the slowest piece of crap phone ever. Apple's code must be seriously bloated to slow my phone down to over a minute to open bloody safari.

seriously, the second person on the comments is claiming to bring a lawyer and file a class action lawsuit for Verizon misrepresenting android's updates/features and other things.

the rest of the comments, I only read most of the first section, its simple UI questions to outright disgust and litigation filings.... NICE ONE!

I know you probably just grabbed the article for the update quickly, as many android users seem to miss the forest for the trees. If an apple product had a fraction of this response to their products the media would be reporting as if the sky had fallen. Android's fragmented mess is clearly not heard like the supposed antennagate. Yet everyday windows PC's experience viruses, malware, malicious code, BSODs and other common issues and that is the cost of doing business.

Android now is serving the mobile void for such yet a niche that windows has just yet jumped into. From fragmentation, to the idiots that let some hobbyist Fandroid open up their mobile device for 10 bucks and forget to change all default passwords, to the people running malicious code behind their android apps. Wait to you have the chinese app store with people running some evil code for some free wallpapers, bam, then the whole internet has access to your private data...

THANX GOOGLE!!

But since you fandroids have Stockholm Syndrome...you will blame the person who bought the android phone in the first place, claiming them not to be technical enough to have a cool phone. lol

like I said, some fandroid will blame the victims for doing what they were supposed to do from verizon or google...lol

UnleashSS 3 months ago:

"Wow, you people bitch so f***ing much about "OMG FLASH ISN'T ON ANDROID 2.2 F**K VERIZON" and "OMG, I HAVE 5 HOME SCREENS I DON'T EVEN NEED." First of all, maybe you should all root your phones and you wouldn't even have this problem. I've had Android 2.2 WAAAAAAAY before it even came out (BuglessBeast v1.3) and Flash 10.1, as well as Hot-spot functionality. So your best bet is to just root your phone, and not be scared of f**king it up. Trust me, it's way better than dealing with this "OTA 2.2" bullshit that sucks ass. By the way, the Android 2.2 OTA update bricked (destroyed, doesn't boot up, froze on logo) a LOT of people's HTC EVO's with Sprint. So I'd be careful if I were you.

Those of you stuck on the "Motorola M" logo or "Droid" eye, it just means your phone is stuck in a BOOTLOOP. EIther because, when the update got installed, it failed to wipe data/cache. All you have to do is reboot into Recovery mode, wipe data/cache and redownload it again. Problem SOLVED! No need to bitch out Motorola, or Verizon for a new phone, or whatever you're complaining about without FIRST doing research on what's wrong with it."

and its on the same blog you referenced...it's comedic gold. I mean guaranteed UnleashSS lost everyone he was "trying to help", it's more likely serious case of passive-aggressive superiority complex being worked out on innocent android captives.

he had me at bootloop...
  • Reply 117 of 276
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addicted44 View Post

Ever wondered why there is no paid version on Android....

[crickets] [crickets]

Might be because nearly everything on the Marketplace is pirated anyways, and Android users don't actually buy apps?

I don't appreciate being called a freeloader. Would you like me to send you my receipts from my Gmail account?
  • Reply 118 of 276
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by raymondinperth View Post

Phone makers should make their own os instead of relying on google android !!

You'd think that but few companies are as "vertical" as Apple and good at it. With few exceptions, most handset makers just assemble handsets and the OS is an afterthought. Companies like Motorola have always used an embedded (VRTX) or Linux-based OS and customized on top of that. They're not thinking "platform" they're thinking "phone."
  • Reply 119 of 276
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

This is what happens when you flood the market by whoring out your OS to anyone who can slam together a box.

The elitist comes out of his mansion on cue.
  • Reply 120 of 276
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by White Rabbit View Post

Why are there so many people who despise Apple and it's products parking their carcasses on AI? Are they paid to do so? What do they gain from the constant sniping? They have an automatic gag-reflex with anything pro-Apple or anti-other. I can't understand why they are here except to annoy people, seriously can't you go elsewhere? If you cannot coherently and logically argue your case, I would prefer not to read your posts. Although there is some comedy relief in these ridiculous posts.

Maybe.....just maybe, there are those of us who own Apple devices and other devices.