Angry Birds maker apologizes for Android fragmentation issues

Comments

• Reply 121 of 276
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by inkswamp View Post

Prior to the release of the iPod with video, Jobs disparaged watching video on a handheld device.

Prior to the release of the iPad and iBooks, Jobs disparaged reading in general, saying nobody reads anymore.

Prior to the release of AppleTV, Jobs had made many comments about Apple not getting into TV as it's a passive activity that Apple wasn't interested in.

Ever get the feeling that his public comments may be a way to throw the competition off Apple's tracks?

Steve is well known for his "kicks", and was probably genuinely against all of these before he was for them.
  • Reply 122 of 276
    tjwtjw Posts: 216member
    rant deleted
  • Reply 123 of 276
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Your being a bit disingenuous here yourself to say the least.

In the first place, your talking about the actual developers statements. The Angry Birds people took the time to port their game to Android and did as best as they could to make it work but the fragmentation got them. I don't know how you can spin that as "people who favour the iphone" or people who don't know what they are talking about.

Secondly, they published a list of at least a dozen Android phones that the game simply won't work on at all, and a simple visit to the comments thread or the store selling it will give you many reports of people who have 'approved' phones that the game doesn't run on either. All this after much development work on the part of the games creators. Do you really think they spent all that time on it, but somehow purposely screwed it up, just so they could cry foul? (they aren't even crying foul btw they are trying to fix it).

Lastly, you are arguing that there is no problem, but then advising people to play it with all network connectivity turned off so it will work right? Seriously? And you don't see the problem with that statement or how it basically proves the opposite of what you are arguing?

If we are going to be totally honest here, Angry Birds needs a good amount of memory and a good processor to run "smoothly" and it doesn't even run "smoothly" on an iPhone 4 if you have less than a gig or two of storage left. It's the only game I've ever played on the iPhone that I've had to crash out of or reboot the phone to get it to run again. Given that almost all Android phones on the market right now have much lesser processing power and much less storage than iPhone 4, it's pretty much a given that they are going to see some choppy-ness and glitches.

Making out like it "runs smooth as silk" (for you) just makes you look foolish. It's not believable.

I agree, if I see the crash logs from xcode organiser it will be angry birds backtraces of low memory aka memory leaks(which might require reboots) & crashes. The Game needs serious attention from it's developers.
  • Reply 124 of 276
    tjwtjw Posts: 216member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by crift2012 View Post

seriously, the second person on the comments is claiming to bring a lawyer and file a class action lawsuit for Verizon misrepresenting android's updates/features and other things.

the rest of the comments, I only read most of the first section, its simple UI questions to outright disgust and litigation filings.... NICE ONE!

I know you probably just grabbed the article for the update quickly, as many android users seem to miss the forest for the trees. If an apple product had a fraction of this response to their products the media would be reporting as if the sky had fallen. Android's fragmented mess is clearly not heard like the supposed antennagate. Yet everyday windows PC's experience viruses, malware, malicious code, BSODs and other common issues and that is the cost of doing business.

Android now is serving the mobile void for such yet a niche that windows has just yet jumped into. From fragmentation, to the idiots that let some hobbyist Fandroid open up their mobile device for 10 bucks and forget to change all default passwords, to the people running malicious code behind their android apps. Wait to you have the chinese app store with people running some evil code for some free wallpapers, bam, then the whole internet has access to your private data...

THANX GOOGLE!!

But since you fandroids have Stockholm Syndrome...you will blame the person who bought the android phone in the first place, claiming them not to be technical enough to have a cool phone. lol

like I said, some fandroid will blame the victims for doing what they were supposed to do from verizon or google...lol

UnleashSS 3 months ago:

"Wow, you people bitch so f**king much about "OMG FLASH ISN'T ON ANDROID 2.2 F**K VERIZON" and "OMG, I HAVE 5 HOME SCREENS I DON'T EVEN NEED." First of all, maybe you should all root your phones and you wouldn't even have this problem. I've had Android 2.2 WAAAAAAAY before it even came out (BuglessBeast v1.3) and Flash 10.1, as well as Hot-spot functionality. So your best bet is to just root your phone, and not be scared of f**king it up. Trust me, it's way better than dealing with this "OTA 2.2" bullshit that sucks ass. By the way, the Android 2.2 OTA update bricked (destroyed, doesn't boot up, froze on logo) a LOT of people's HTC EVO's with Sprint. So I'd be careful if I were you.

Those of you stuck on the "Motorola M" logo or "Droid" eye, it just means your phone is stuck in a BOOTLOOP. EIther because, when the update got installed, it failed to wipe data/cache. All you have to do is reboot into Recovery mode, wipe data/cache and redownload it again. Problem SOLVED! No need to bitch out Motorola, or Verizon for a new phone, or whatever you're complaining about without FIRST doing research on what's wrong with it."

and its on the same blog you referenced...it's comedic gold. I mean guaranteed UnleashSS lost everyone he was "trying to help", it's more likely serious case of passive-aggressive superiority complex being worked out on innocent android captives.

he had me at bootloop...

Next time you post please be polite enough to use grammar and communicate with some eloquence. It is painful trying to decipher your posts.
  • Reply 125 of 276
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tjw View Post

Next time you post please be polite enough to use grammar and communicate with some eloquence. It is painful trying to decipher your posts.

Oh the irony!
  • Reply 126 of 276
    This is why the top two mobile OSes should be iOS and Win 7 Phone OS. Both require stringent commonality in regards to hardware specs and software specs. I use my old iPhone 3GS as a wifi device now and my Samsung Focus as my smartphone and love it.

Some folks will prefer iOS over Win7 Phone OS and vice versa, but I think either choice is beter than Android (and I say that unhappily) due to the too wide of variety in the Android market.
  • Reply 127 of 276
    sambansamban Posts: 171member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alexkhan2000 View Post

I've posted on other boards as well about this subject and will post here as well. There was an article on Asymco about the lack of any common DRM framework on Android. The article also brought up the prospect of the Android fragmentation not only being impossible to rein in but that it may actually be by design.

From Netflix blog:

The hurdle has been the lack of a generic and complete platform security and content protection mechanism available for Android. The same security issues that have led to piracy concerns on the Android platform have made it difficult for us to secure a common Digital Rights Management (DRM) system on these devices.

Setting aside the debate around the value of content protection and DRM, they are requirements we must fulfill in order to obtain content from major studios for our subscribers to enjoy. Although we don?t have a common platform security mechanism and DRM, we are able to work with individual handset manufacturers to add content protection to their devices.

Unfortunately, this is a much slower approach and leads to a fragmented experience on Android, in which some handsets will have access to Netflix and others won?t.

Also from Asymco:

Recently Google TV was blocked from all major US TV content and Google faced litigation from copyright holders in print publications and before that for YouTube infringements and before that from newspaper publishers for Google News? unlicensed reuse of their content.

I agree that Google seems to have no intent to control the very ecosystem/platform they've unleashed. It's as though Google wants a chaotic free-for-all on the Internet space. What they don't want is a large sliver of that space being controlled by the likes of Apple, Microsoft or anyone else for that matter. Google doesn't want control. Google only wants the "free" space on which they can sell ads and the more "open" and "freer" it is, the more advantageous their position. Google's very goal is to break down the proprietary control of "competing" ecosystems and content owners.

Google's business model and its strategy to execute on that model is indeed a major threat to all traditional tech and media content companies that own IP and copyrighted material - from software companies to TV/movie studios, etc. Google is leveraging the very power of the Internet, which is owned by no one. It is actually a very well thought-out strategy of profiting from the chaos and fragmentation that they hope will overwhelm the efforts of "closed" or integrated ecosystem players like Apple, Microsoft, Nokia or anyone else - even the likes of major backend players like IBM, HP, Oracle, SAP, etc.

Meanwhile, Google's hardware partners (the Android phone/tablet/TV vendors) who don't have the means to take on the integrated players with their own software ecosystem/platform offerings are getting more and more deeply entangled in Google's sticky and ever expanding web as mere commodity providers from which they have no means to escape. They're essentially pawns who do the dirty work of undercutting Google's chief platform adversaries and then getting virtually nothing in return. Ditto for the software developers on the Google platform...

Google's aim is to commoditize the entire Internet infrastructure on which they can profit from through their search monopoly. Taking a page or two from Microsoft's playbook which Gates used so effectively during the 80's and the 90's to dominate the PC industry, Google is using its search monopoly position to render all other proprietary players irrelevant through their use of "open" source software and the marketing of "free" services as search, YouTube, Picasa, Gmail, Google Docs, Maps, etc. How can consumers argue against "free" stuff?

Another interesting article from the Harvard Business Review about why Google is losing this battle with this strategy:

http://blogs.hbr.org/cs/2010/11/did_...own_enemi.html

Aysmco's Horace Dediu summarized it well:

"Android is powerful, but as Google is finding out, power can be very dangerous without control."

With great power comes, great responsibility.
  • Reply 128 of 276
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

Oh the irony!

Interesting you didn't ban the guy quoted above for the vugarity. What to know what I find interesting about this forum is the amount of posts threads get. The posts that are totally unrelated to Apple products see the most hits because Apple fans somehow feel the need to bash any other product.

Take this thread for example the biggest bashers have most likel never used an Android device for more then 30 seconds if that. Why doesn't the guy that continues to post about Android in a font size of 300 in bold read letters get banned. That I find interesting.
  • Reply 129 of 276
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ihxo View Post

you don't need to be a rocket scientist to know that when your device needs "rooting" in order to gain access to certain feature it's called NOT OPEN (aka locked down).

I am not sure how many ways are you trying to spin this, but face the facts already.

There is not one single android phone out there that is not LOCKED DOWN. Even google's own Nexus one is LOCKED DOWN.

Ive already explained why its called an open os, and its u whos trying to "spin" this.

you know youre wrong and now youre blatantly trolling. the forum gives us ignore lists for a reason... Have fun posting the same idiotic bs over and over, troll.
  • Reply 130 of 276
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IHateScreenNames View Post

While I agree that people with jobs have no reason to pirate apps, that doesn't mean they don't.

I work with a guy who walks around about once a month "advertising" that he will jailbreak your iPhone for you for $10. Part of his pitch is that "you could have gotten all those Apps on your phone for FREE if it was jailbroken. Why would you pay for them if you can get them for free?"

His pitch works. He ends up jailbreaking phones all the time. Now he's pushing Android apps for free, too.

Along those same lines, I know plenty of employed adults who download music from LimeWire and torrent their movies.

Do me a favor and call him a cunt for me. Just say "this guy from the internet said youre a cunt." Lol

if someone walked around saying this at my company, I would fire them on the spot.
  • Reply 131 of 276
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Vital0gy View Post

I don't appreciate being called a freeloader. Would you like me to send you my receipts from my Gmail account?

Wouldnt matter. He would just say OTHER people do it, and stick with his original comment.

Just listen to how they gang up on jailbreakers, dismissing every one of them as pirates even when one jailbreaker after another explains endlessly the reality of things.

Ignorance is bliss, but willful ignorance is disgusting.
  • Reply 132 of 276
    guch20guch20 Posts: 173member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

Completely overblown statements made by people who obviously favor the iPhone.

There isn't even a paid version of the game for Android, and the only thing that affects performance is the stupid ads! Literally, in airplane mode, the game is as smooth as silk. Turn 3g on, get ads, and watch the game's framerates drop immensely.

Obviously it's not as simple as just turning on Airplane Mode, or the developer of the game would recommend that users do that rather than having to reprogram the entire game. Maybe that little trick works with your shitty phone or your friend's shitty phone, but obviously the fragmented market of shitty Android phones is a bigger problem than you want to believe it is.

It's okay though. Just do what all you Android fanboys do when bad news comes out about your favoritist company -- stick your thumb in your butt and Google a picture of Sergey Brin and you'll feel better.
  • Reply 133 of 276
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The developer of "Angry Birds," a top-selling iPhone game, reported that bringing the title to Android devices ended up more difficult than anticipated due to fragmentation within the open platform.

According to a CNET report, the title's developer Rovio Mobile apologized for poor performance across a variety of Android devices, explaining that, "despite our efforts, we were unsuccessful in delivering optimal performance."

The company added, "So far, we have hesitated to create multiple versions of Angry Birds for the Android platform. But judging by the feedback we have received, we feel that by providing a lightweight solution, we are doing a favor for our fans. We are currently developing a lighter solution to run Angry Birds on lower-end Android devices."

Screenshot of "lightweight" Angry Birds for Android, courtesy of Daniel Sandler:

• Reply 134 of 276
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ruel24 View Post

Just because you pay more, doesn't mean you get more. You pay for the badge, and that's little more than in the minds of the buyer. Porsche's nameplate is based on their racing history, and most of that was in racing American makers weren't even participating in. Ford actually has a more illustrious racing history than Porsche. To me, they're little more than a glorified Volkswagen Beetle that was financed by Adolph Hitler - the biggest mass murder in recent history. That's exactly the humble beginnings from which they came.

LOLOL!!!! Yes, we have declared a winner in the flame wars!!!

Bill Gates loves Porsches

Bill Gates created Windows

Therefore Windows was caused by... Hitler!

P.S. angry birds android fragmentation eric schmidt is gay yada yada, see I'm still on-topic!
  • Reply 135 of 276
    daveswdavesw Posts: 406member
    if you go to any android forum, you'll understand what "Fragmentation" means.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by davesw View Post

this is how Android Forums look like (androidforums.com)

Each phone has it's own subforum!! with different set of issues, problems, etc!!!

IT'S RIDICULOUS!! --- Android Developers have to make sure their app runs on ALL OF THESE PHONES!!!!!

• Reply 136 of 276
    habihabi Posts: 317member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ATM View Post

source

Well Apple moved from os 9 to something TOTALLY different taking with it nexts operating system code, its called os X (or 10 as this roman numeral means). If it wasnt for that i probably wouldnt be using apples Intel hardware now would I??? Apple probably wouldnt had its IOS and kernel built with gcc for any platform available to their choosing.

There isnt much left from that apple in the 90:s. Maybe some important idealogical things but thats all.
  • Reply 137 of 276
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Interesting you didn't ban the guy quoted above for the vugarity. What to know what I find interesting about this forum is the amount of posts threads get. The posts that are totally unrelated to Apple products see the most hits because Apple fans somehow feel the need to bash any other product.

Take this thread for example the biggest bashers have most likel never used an Android device for more then 30 seconds if that. Why doesn't the guy that continues to post about Android in a font size of 300 in bold read letters get banned. That I find interesting.

Its called Appleinsider. I am sure that AndroidInsider bans the "iOS is much better than your crap" posts. What is trolling depends on the forum.
  • Reply 138 of 276
    sambansamban Posts: 171member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by crift2012 View Post

seriously, the second person on the comments is claiming to bring a lawyer and file a class action lawsuit for Verizon misrepresenting android's updates/features and other things.

the rest of the comments, I only read most of the first section, its simple UI questions to outright disgust and litigation filings.... NICE ONE!

I know you probably just grabbed the article for the update quickly, as many android users seem to miss the forest for the trees. If an apple product had a fraction of this response to their products the media would be reporting as if the sky had fallen. Android's fragmented mess is clearly not heard like the supposed antennagate. Yet everyday windows PC's experience viruses, malware, malicious code, BSODs and other common issues and that is the cost of doing business.

Android now is serving the mobile void for such yet a niche that windows has just yet jumped into. From fragmentation, to the idiots that let some hobbyist Fandroid open up their mobile device for 10 bucks and forget to change all default passwords, to the people running malicious code behind their android apps. Wait to you have the chinese app store with people running some evil code for some free wallpapers, bam, then the whole internet has access to your private data...

THANX GOOGLE!!

But since you fandroids have Stockholm Syndrome...you will blame the person who bought the android phone in the first place, claiming them not to be technical enough to have a cool phone. lol

like I said, some fandroid will blame the victims for doing what they were supposed to do from verizon or google...lol

UnleashSS 3 months ago:

"Wow, you people bitch so f**king much about "OMG FLASH ISN'T ON ANDROID 2.2 F**K VERIZON" and "OMG, I HAVE 5 HOME SCREENS I DON'T EVEN NEED." First of all, maybe you should all root your phones and you wouldn't even have this problem. I've had Android 2.2 WAAAAAAAY before it even came out (BuglessBeast v1.3) and Flash 10.1, as well as Hot-spot functionality. So your best bet is to just root your phone, and not be scared of f**king it up. Trust me, it's way better than dealing with this "OTA 2.2" bullshit that sucks ass. By the way, the Android 2.2 OTA update bricked (destroyed, doesn't boot up, froze on logo) a LOT of people's HTC EVO's with Sprint. So I'd be careful if I were you.

Those of you stuck on the "Motorola M" logo or "Droid" eye, it just means your phone is stuck in a BOOTLOOP. EIther because, when the update got installed, it failed to wipe data/cache. All you have to do is reboot into Recovery mode, wipe data/cache and redownload it again. Problem SOLVED! No need to bitch out Motorola, or Verizon for a new phone, or whatever you're complaining about without FIRST doing research on what's wrong with it."

and its on the same blog you referenced...it's comedic gold. I mean guaranteed UnleashSS lost everyone he was "trying to help", it's more likely serious case of passive-aggressive superiority complex being worked out on innocent android captives.

he had me at bootloop...

There are lot of people praising andriods. And the first post was the killer as it sets the mindset of the people using it.
  • Reply 139 of 276
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by guch20 View Post

Obviously it's not as simple as just turning on Airplane Mode, or the developer of the game would recommend that users do that rather than having to reprogram the entire game. Maybe that little trick works with your shitty phone or your friend's shitty phone, but obviously the fragmented market of shitty Android phones is a bigger problem than you want to believe it is.

It's okay though. Just do what all you Android fanboys do when bad news comes out about your favoritist company -- stick your thumb in your butt and Google a picture of Sergey Brin and you'll feel better.

Well as it turns out, this is more of a case of a shitty developer than a shitty phone. I posted that the ads thing has been fixed in an update. TRY to at least keep up with the discussion.

Btw, did you not happen to read about the games performance issues on the iphone? A non fragmented os!?

There really wasnt any reason for your shitty atitude and response. The fact that your shitty choice of shitty words was all you could think of tells me you see a point being made that for some reason u wont accept. Why would u give a shit if you dont even own an android phone?

Btw, by all accounts the galaxy s is far from a shitty phone, but clearly your reasoning only goes as far as 'if it isnt an iphone, then it must be shitty.' A sign of a true imbecile.
  • Reply 140 of 276
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

Its called Appleinsider. I am sure that AndroidInsider bans the "iOS is much better than your crap" posts. What is trolling depends on the forum.

While its called Appleinsider there is also an entire world going on around Apple. Other compaies produce products, so we should be able to have a rational logical debate regarding other products.

As soon as some sees BB, Android, Mirosoft or Amazon its like their head starts to spin around in circles and they go into attack mode. Trolls can be on both sides.

A crazy Apple fan is just as much of a troll as anyone else, if not more so.