Oprah declares Apple's iPad her 'favorite thing ever,' gives away 275

Comments

• Reply 41 of 126
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by HelveticaNeue View Post

Oprah has a reality distortion field that even Steve Jobs would be jealous of! I don't recall anyone crying at MacWorld when he unveiled the iPhone.

They are stupid, but you're missing the point. They are happy because everything she mentions on these shows they get one free. Unlike MacWorld.
  • Reply 42 of 126
    Don't let anyone kid you, Oprah is a great endorsement for the iPad.
  • Reply 43 of 126
    After watching the linked youtube video, I'm glad to living outside of the USA.
  • Reply 44 of 126
    Could the iPad be the Elmo or is it the Cabbage Patch Doll of this xmas?
  • Reply 45 of 126
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Out of curiosity, which netbook did Oprah say was her favourite thing?
  • Reply 46 of 126
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    Oprah stands to make a bundle off her e-magazine. It's no wonder the iPad was her ultimate favorite thing.

The show's opening was an absolutely disgusting display of gluttony. Thank goodness her show doesn't air at Foxconn.

The taxes will be a sizable chunk of the purchase price. Does the Big O cover those costs, too?
  • Reply 47 of 126
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kerryb View Post

Could the iPad be the Elmo or is it the Cabbage Patch Doll of this xmas?

The Kinect looks to be a tour de force this year, too.
  • Reply 48 of 126
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

It's surprising how influential she is towards soccer moms.

She can make #1 NY Times best selling authors out of frauds, think of what she will do for something that actually works and has use.
  • Reply 49 of 126
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

Oprah stands to make a bundle off her e-magazine. It's no wonder the iPad was her ultimate favorite thing.

The show's opening was an absolutely disgusting display of gluttony. Thank goodness her show doesn't air at Foxconn.

The taxes will be a sizable chunk of the purchase price. Does the Big O cover those costs, too?

Depends, some of the things she just buys, some things are donated, VW is not only donating the 275 2011 Beetles they are paying all taxes and 'charges' on them, so they really are 'free' to the audience members, unlike a game show where you win a new car and it costs you $5,000 up front to get it.
  • Reply 50 of 126
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

Taxes on a gift if valued more than $500. She probably already paid the sales tax.
  • Reply 51 of 126
    i sure would've liked to have been there for that taping
  • Reply 52 of 126
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

Yes, right now it's evil. Don't you read the memo?

You're confused. That's Google.
  • Reply 53 of 126
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Is that why you used Apple's products?

Of course not. However, 'Think Different' now would apply to another company, no?

BTW, there is nothing wrong with not being cool, or different, or unique. Popularity doesn't necessarily mean mediocre... at least, not always.
  • Reply 54 of 126
    Quote:

"From our very first moment together, I knew it had stolen my heart," Winfrey told her audience, before she "cued the angels" and an iPad was lowered from the ceiling sporting angel's wings. The television host pranced around the device as audience members screamed with excitement.

A bit OTT but I'm prancing...

Quote:

"Words cannot describe what I feel for this magnificent, magnificent device," she said, holding a 3G model in her hand. "I really think it's the best invention of the century so far."

I'm believing, i'm believing...

Quote:

Winfrey's promotion of the iPad comes just days after a digital version of her publication, O, The Oprah Magazine, became available on the iPad (iTunes link). The $3.99 software is billed as a "taste of the December issue," and includes an animated cover with Winfrey personally unveiling the issue.

Oh you had to go and spoil it didn't you
  • Reply 55 of 126
    I thought her favorite thing ever was Ben and Jerry's.
  • Reply 56 of 126
    removed unnecessarily crude post
  • Reply 57 of 126
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zoolook View Post

Of course not. However, 'Think Different' now would apply to another company, no?

Why refer to an advertising campaign that's been over for ten years? Apple's commercial message is changing constantly.

More to the point, it does become more difficult to maintain a hip image as a product becomes culturally mainstream. All this tells us is that Apple will need to continually recalibrate their message. Which they are already doing. Which is why Albert Einstein is no longer in the picture.
  • Reply 58 of 126
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cubert View Post

I thought her favorite thing ever was Ben and Jerry's.

There's certainly a resemblance....
  • Reply 59 of 126
    What I'd really like to know is if Steve gave those ipads to Oprah for free, or did she buy them.
  • Reply 60 of 126
    Somewhere in Redmond, Washington, a leather conference room chair is being thrown...