Oprah declares Apple's iPad her 'favorite thing ever,' gives away 275

Comments

• Reply 61 of 126
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by latafairam View Post

What I'd really like to know is if Steve gave those ipads to Oprah for free, or did she buy them.

I am sure they were free. Apple records it as an marketing expense probably around 150K. VW on the other hand, spent several million dollars in terms of the value and taxes for the Beetles donated. Considering Oprah's influence, that's probably a pretty sweet deal.
  • Reply 62 of 126
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Doorman. View Post

Whom are you talking to? It seems that you speak to some one but you did not specified.

Those people are hysterical....

Or, I get it. They now can make iTunes purchases from iPad and listen to Beatles.

And Oprah definitely does not read much (e.g. books) from this glossy screen...

Do they (hosts of such shows) speak only about popular things or is that Apple who comes to them to make it popular?

Disclaimer: I am very positive about Beatles going digital on iTunes.

The vultures = people who consistently post negatively on AI about all things Apple. If you don't like Apple just don't come here and you can live in your own little bubble. I don't support Android, so therefore I don't go to Android blogs sites. Is it that hard to understand?
  • Reply 63 of 126
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sranger View Post

That sux, now the wife will want one.....

Hahahaha! That was probably the idea
  • Reply 64 of 126
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

Oh whatever... we fanboys get a hard-on every time Apple sells another iPad as if it somehow adds to our own success.

That's assuming I'm a fanboy. I'm not. Besides other things beside electronics tend to give me hard ons. But I guess that's just me.
  • Reply 65 of 126
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

It's surprising how influential she is towards soccer moms.

Her influence is unbelievably far-reaching. It's quite hard to fathom. Her endorsements are instant goldmine.

She did piece on Mad Cow disease and how proper safeguards aren't in place. "Stopped me cold from eating another burger" Well, the beef prices plummeted and Texas ranchers filed suit for damages they claimed she caused. You don't want to be on her sh*t list for certain. Kiss of death.
  • Reply 66 of 126
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lofasz View Post

After watching the linked youtube video, I'm glad to living outside of the USA.

I wont lie, the audience looked like a bunch of belligerent monkies.
  • Reply 67 of 126
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Turley Muller View Post

Her influence is unbelievably far-reaching. It's quite hard to fathom. Her endorsements are instant goldmine.

She did piece on Mad Cow disease and how proper safeguards aren't in place. "Stopped me cold from eating another burger" Well, the beef prices plummeted and Texas ranchers filed suit for damages they claimed she caused. You don't want to be on her sh*t list for certain. Kiss of death.

Her audience is the mass of ignorant doles that are glued to television, no surprise there.
  • Reply 68 of 126
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Why refer to an advertising campaign that's been over for ten years? Apple's commercial message is changing constantly.

More to the point, it does become more difficult to maintain a hip image as a product becomes culturally mainstream. All this tells us is that Apple will need to continually recalibrate their message. Which they are already doing. Which is why Albert Einstein is no longer in the picture.

Unfortunately, Einstein has also become mainstream. His theories are now widely taught and generally accepted. When was the last time someone called the theory of relativity "fringe science"?

Go iPad!
  • Reply 69 of 126
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zindako View Post

Her audience is the mass of ignorant doles that are glued to television, no surprise there.

Post of the day, for all the wrong reasons.
  • Reply 70 of 126
    Quote:

I'm reading this during commercials...
  • Reply 71 of 126
    Quote:

Why refer to an advertising campaign that's been over for ten years? Apple's commercial message is changing constantly.

More to the point, it does become more difficult to maintain a hip image as a product becomes culturally mainstream. All this tells us is that Apple will need to continually recalibrate their message. Which they are already doing. Which is why Albert Einstein is no longer in the picture.

Agreed, but again there are people who identify with the Apple of 10 years ago who are less able to identify with the Apple of today. It's not a criticism of Apple, of those people or anyone else. It's just an observation.

Also, it's quite hard to maintain a corporate image and culture if, on the one hand one of your products is ubiquitous to its funtion (like the iPod) and another is far more exclusive (like the Mac) - especially when your message for selling one is market share, and the message for selling the other is being a bit different (at least implied). I think Apple has done a great job of this so far of balacing these, especially compared to some other companies.

Having said all that, sometimes going mainstream is the first step to becoming irrelevant.
  • Reply 72 of 126
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

They are stupid, but you're missing the point. They are happy because everything she mentions on these shows they get one free. Unlike MacWorld.

Yes, but she isn't giving them something they've longed for. I bet most of them had no interest in an iPad until that moment. You can't even chalk it up to rampant consumerism, because if it was just some guy giving away iPads on the street people wouldn't weep on their knees. That is a demonstration of pure Oprah fanaticism.
  • Reply 73 of 126
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

It's unpaid celebrity promos like hers that help keep Apple tops in mindshare.

I think opposite. That could be a most expensive (and smart?) iPad commercial for Steve and Co. No wonder she "can afford" to give away some now.
  • Reply 74 of 126
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zoolook View Post

Agreed, but again there are people who identify with the Apple of 10 years ago who are less able to identify with the Apple of today. It's not a criticism of Apple, of those people or anyone else. It's just an observation.

Also, it's quite hard to maintain a corporate image and culture if, on the one hand one of your products is ubiquitous to its funtion (like the iPod) and another is far more exclusive (like the Mac) - especially when your message for selling one is market share, and the message for selling the other is being a bit different (at least implied). I think Apple has done a great job of this so far of balacing these, especially compared to some other companies.

Having said all that, sometimes going mainstream is the first step to becoming irrelevant.

The Apple of ten years ago was perhaps one-tenth the size of Apple today, so correspondingly, the number of their customers who identify with Apple circa 2000 is a relatively small proportion of the people they've now reached. I believe the "Think Different" campaign was targeted primarily at Apple loyalists, to make them feel better about sticking with the Mac. It certainly didn't move the Mac market share needle very much. And I sure don't see it being very relevant to Apple's current market message.

But I take your point that Apple has to be careful as they move into this next phase. It's difficult to promote an image of hipness, which I think they still do, when your products are already in so many hands. It's not irrelevance that I worry about so much, it's a muddied image, which comes from a corporation that loses its way (fill in your favorite example here). So long as Apple knows what they are about, I think customers will get that message.
  • Reply 75 of 126
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Quote:

Her condescending critics are no different.
  • Reply 76 of 126
    I built the automation system that flew the iPad in on the show!
  • Reply 77 of 126
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hughlight View Post

I built the automation system that flew the iPad in on the show!

Did Gary and the Minge get iPads?
  • Reply 78 of 126
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zoolook View Post

So it's official; Apple is no longer cool.

look around at the people with apple products. did it take oprah to convice you of that?
  • Reply 79 of 126
    Quote:

I believe the "Think Different" campaign was targeted primarily at Apple loyalists, to make them feel better about sticking with the Mac. It certainly didn't move the Mac market share needle very much. And I sure don't see it being very relevant to Apple's current market message.

I think you're right. It was still one of their best ever campaigns (IMO)... although the single ad with the tall guy and the small guy using the 12 inch and 17 inch PowerBooks was my all-time favorite!
  • Reply 80 of 126
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by techno View Post

Apple is doomed!

yeah....doomed to succesful.