Windows Phone 7 developers fear platform flop

Comments

• Reply 21 of 291
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

I don't like the snarky tone of your second sentence and the insults in the third, but I basically agree with your take on the OS itself.

I can't stand Microsoft, or any of their products, but I'm a bit mystified as to why it isn't catching on more. It's got brand recognition, and a really original interface that addresses the major shortcomings of the iOS interface (lack of integration and poor notifications).

I thought Windows Phone 7 was such a better proposition than Android, and so much more user friendly, that it would surely be a hit. Of course I also thought WebOS was clearly a better designed OS than Android, but that hasn't caught on either.

I see Android as a sort of "fill-in" OS or a default, or fall-back OS. It's what you use when there isn't anything else around. It's what you put on a junky free phone, etc. I was sure however, that we'd also see some real alternatives (like WebOS and Windows Phone 7), and I think it's bad news for everyone that neither seems to have taken off.

Dont like my snarky tones? Really the whole article is snarky.

"I can't stand Microsoft, or any of their products"

Why would anyone say that about something like software? Use what is best for the job at hand. I could see that point of view if say Micrsoft was I dont know trying to push cheap labor so hard to make these phones that the employees were killing themselves.....oh wait that has happened.....but they are not. Its software made not by Microsoft, but a bunch of people working for them. Most of which have only been there 10 years of less.

"but I'm a bit mystified as to why it isn't catching on more" Mystified? Its been out for about 30 days and they have 3000 apps and 15,000 registered developers. How many apps did the Andriod phone have after 30 days? Or the iPhone 1?

Seriously if it cant break 5000 apps after 6 months then there is a problem, like say WebOS.
  • Reply 22 of 291
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bettieblue View Post

My point? ... Ruffle some panties?

Just to be picky ...

you can't "ruffle some panties" you can only "ruffle some feathers" (like on a bird).

These are ruffled panties:

which probably isn't what you meant.
  • Reply 23 of 291
    Quote:

Just to be picky ...

you can't "ruffle some panties" you can only "ruffle some feathers" (like on a bird).

Tie them in a not?
  • Reply 24 of 291
    Quote:

I don't like the snarky tone of your second sentence and the insults in the third, but I basically agree with your take on the OS itself.

I can't stand Microsoft, or any of their products, but I'm a bit mystified as to why it isn't catching on more. It's got brand recognition, and a really original interface that addresses the major shortcomings of the iOS interface (lack of integration and poor notifications).

I thought Windows Phone 7 was such a better proposition than Android, and so much more user friendly, that it would surely be a hit. Of course I also thought WebOS was clearly a better designed OS than Android, but that hasn't caught on either.

I see Android as a sort of "fill-in" OS or a default, or fall-back OS. It's what you use when there isn't anything else around. It's what you put on a junky free phone, etc. I was sure however, that we'd also see some real alternatives (like WebOS and Windows Phone 7), and I think it's bad news for everyone that neither seems to have taken off.

sorry but android is a 'real' os not a a filler. and i left att for the nexus one and android. am very happy with it and eagerly awaiting 2.3

it can do anything the iphone does except for 'facetime' and i could care less about that.

its funny to 'hear' the Balmer monkey boy style shrieking around here when it comes to Android and the iphone.
  • Reply 25 of 291
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Apple fans should actually want WP7 to succeed as it caps how quickly Android can grow. It provides a second option for companies like HTC to use, effectively splitting the market currently owned by Android phones.

It's difficult for Apple as a single manufacturer to ship a majority of phone in a market as large as the smartphone market. If Android is the only OS that third party manufacturers use, its market share will get quite large.

Now I don't consider a marketshare to a big deal unless it impacts your developer support, but I grow tired of Android fanboys spouting numbers like they are the most important thing in the world. Somehow they believe that it's a great accomplishment that a free OS that is installed on many manufacturers phones can collectively outsell one phone model manufactured by a single company. Great accomplishment or not, it would be great to see them served some humble pie. Having WP7 weaken manufacturer and as a result, consumer support of Android would do just that.

In terms of "winning" marketshare, the more players the better for Apple as it becomes more difficult for any one platform to become dominant and easier for a single manufacturer like Apple to claim the largest piece of the pie. If there are two players, they need greater than 50%, if there are three players, they need greater than 33% (assuming the other two are equal to each other), if there are four players, they only need 25%, etc. At the end of the day though, OS marketshare means very little and everyone puts too much stock in it. OSX does just fine at sub 10% numbers.
  • Reply 25 of 291
    Quote:

My point? Is Apple Insider is just link baiting, and they are not using any real data to back up their BS. They should stick to Apple stuff. Bashing on Microsoft stuff does what exactly at a Apple site? Fire up the fan girls? Ruffle some panties?

Hey... you show me some sales numbers that disprove the AI contention that WP7 suffers from slow consumer sales and I'll agree with you.

[ on edit: All I see are headlines blaring that Android is outselling WP7 by 15:1. ]
  • Reply 27 of 291
    Quote:

Just to be picky ...

viva le difference !
  • Reply 28 of 291
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    Even Microsoft's ads for WP7 are lame. "Our phones have no compelling features. You'll want to use them as little as possible."

If I were a mobile developer, I'd wait a year to see if WP7 phones have enough market share to make a difference. By next winter, if WP7 doesn't have at least 8% to 10% of the smartphone market, I would ignore it and just let it die. Or wait until Microsoft gets it right, which is very unlikely. (For reference, Apple had 24% and Android had 17% of the smartphone market in September 2010.)

Of course, Microsoft has not shown that they can "get it right" in the mobile space. If I had developed for WinCE aka PocketPC aka Windows Mobile, I would be extremely unhappy that Microsoft just suddenly killed off the platform. With no plans for WinMo app support in WP7.

MS chose the easiest path: throw away everything they have done before, then start from scratch. Because the old OS was simply not worth updating with modern features. If MS (and Palm, by the way) had looked far enough ahead, they could have evolved their legacy OSes or planned a migration path from the old OS to the new OS. They could have beaten Apple to market with a multi-touch mobile OS.

But no, MS and Palm simply milked their existing customer bases. They just kept hacking the old OS with new features instead of moving ahead to the next mobile computing paradigm. It's as if they were just waiting for Apple to do something so they could copy Apple's ideas.

So I would extend Microsoft's WP7 ads beyond end users. If I were interested in developing for WP7 I'd take a quick look at WP7's market share every year. Then ignore it until it either dies or starts to make a dent in iPhone's market share. Not interesting until that happens.
  • Reply 29 of 291
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Hey... you show me some sales numbers that disprove the AI contention that WP7 suffers from slow consumer sales and I'll agree with you.

[ on edit: All I see are headlines blaring that Android is outselling WP7 by 15:1. ]

I never said anything about Windows 7 sales. However AI did, and now you are as well. Both of you need to prove it.
  • Reply 30 of 291
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fenevad View Post
    “Reviews of new WP7 devices have also been dispassionate…”
    Not to get picky or anything, but this word you are using, I do not think it means what you think it means…

A dispassionate review could be extremely positive or extremely negative (or neither)…

You really should look things up before saying what you think the meaning is. It's easy enough.

Quote:

dispassionate

dis⋅pas⋅sion⋅ate /dispæʃəneɪt/

adjective

unaffected by strong emotion or prejudice • a journalist should be a dispassionate reporter of fact

syn: cold-eyed

• Reply 31 of 291
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Their "do more with less clicks" sales pitch is an appealing one. This seems to be what your average person cares most about when it comes to smart phones. The learning curve on even an iphone can confuse, frustrate, and infuriate some customers. I know it seems silly, but some people really don't get along with technology very well, and it's these people that the sales pitch is working with.

I don't think anyone expected long lines and high demand for the first WP7 devices. The whole thing has potential though and won't just die off like kin did.
  • Reply 32 of 291
    I've "ruffled" some panties! Or did they ruffle me? Oh well!

Seriously, I don't understand this "rush to market" that MS and Boogle exhibit time and time again...remember back when Netbooks were the only bright spot for PC's and the debate was Market share vs. profitability?

Everyone with any nouse new profitability was preferable.

HP seems to have it somewhat correct in buying Palm for their WebOS and RIM also designing a completely new OS. But I agree with Jobs, they are really starting from way behind.

The Galaxy table using Boogle's Frodo which they themselves have said is not "Tablet ready" and everyone knows MS never releases anything that's ever been even close to "ready!"

Sheez!
  • Reply 33 of 291
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by screamingfist View Post

sorry but android is a 'real' os not a a filler.

Sorry but Android is a doomed OS, not a survivor. Oracle's lawsuit has merit, there is clear legal precedent (Microsoft paid Sun $20 million for a similar Java license violation) and Larry Ellison won't settle out of court.

It's not a patent violation, where one party can counter-sue to force an out-of-court settlement. It's a violation of the *license agreement* because Android's implementation of Java is not 100% compliant. And, according to the Java license agreement, if you are not 100% compliant, you are in violation. That quick and dirty Dalvik JVM hack has doomed Android.

Oops. This is a pro-Apple forum. No more mention of (doomed) Android, OK guys?
  • Reply 34 of 291
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

Even Microsoft's ads for WP7 are lame. "Our phones have no compelling features. You'll want to use them as little as possible."

If I were a mobile developer, I'd wait a year to see if WP7 phones have enough market share to make a difference. By next winter, if WP7 doesn't have at least 8% to 10% of the smartphone market, I would ignore it and just let it die. Or wait until Microsoft gets it right, which is very unlikely. (For reference, Apple had 24% and Android had 17% of the smartphone market in September 2010.)

Of course, Microsoft has not shown that they can "get it right" in the mobile space. If I had developed for WinCE aka PocketPC aka Windows Mobile, I would be extremely unhappy that Microsoft just suddenly killed off the platform. With no plans for WinMo app support in WP7.

MS chose the easiest path: throw away everything they have done before, then start from scratch. Because the old OS was simply not worth updating with modern features. If MS (and Palm, by the way) had looked far enough ahead, they could have evolved their legacy OSes or planned a migration path from the old OS to the new OS. They could have beaten Apple to market with a multi-touch mobile OS.

But no, MS and Palm simply milked their existing customer bases. They just kept hacking the old OS with new features instead of moving ahead to the next mobile computing paradigm. It's as if they were just waiting for Apple to do something so they could copy Apple's ideas.

So I would extend Microsoft's WP7 ads beyond end users. If I were interested in developing for WP7 I'd take a quick look at WP7's market share every year. Then ignore it until it either dies or starts to make a dent in iPhone's market share. Not interesting until that happens.

"Of course, Microsoft has not shown that they can "get it right" in the mobile space. If I had developed for WinCE aka PocketPC aka Windows Mobile, I would be extremely unhappy that Microsoft just suddenly killed off the platform. With no plans for WinMo app support in WP7"

Yeah I get that. WinCE/WinMO has been around since.....the early Pocket PC days in 2001/2? and MS decides to end it, and bring on something new. With out warning at all!!!

If only those people that bought PPC G5's in 2006 could run Snow Leopard in 2009 If you need a time killer try taking pictures with my iPhone 3G on 4.x it is a fantastic thrill.
  • Reply 35 of 291
    Quote:

Hmm most reviews I have read like the OS and the devices. Even Walt, iFan, Mossberg liked it.

Good thing a not a single one of these developers for the iPhone has ever had a problem with Apple, its wide open developers rules and the super quick and easy app approval process

Apple Insider should stick to predicting future vapor Apple Hardware releases and quoting Jon Gruber.

Those reviews you refer to have been lukewarm, just as have most other reviews. This isn't a terrible OS, it just isn't anything outstanding. While iOS lacked some major features in the past, it's got them now, and now is when WP7 is competing, not in the past.

I read somewhere that it doesn't even have HTML 5. if true, that alone would be a reason not to buy it. Anyone here know if it is true?
  • Reply 36 of 291
    rainrain Posts: 538member
    Remember the photos of the funeral procession they had for Apple, Android and RIM...

I think there was a general consensus here that that event was an antipode of things to come.

I wonder who Microsoft will purchase to procure their market share back?

I seem to recall something about RIM being too important to Canada to allow foreign takeover. Who does that leave?

Inconceivable that they can't leverage their monopoly with desktop computing to the mobile space.

That alone shows a tremendous lack of leadership. The Ballmeister will be gone next year.

They should look for talent outside of the current gene pool.
  • Reply 37 of 291
    grkinggrking Posts: 533member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

I am not sure I see your point.

Android took 6 months to sell its first million units, and I am willing to bet that articles were written, or could have been written, stating that the iPhone was outselling Android 10-20 or 30 to 1 a month after Android was released, and look where things stand now.

This is not to say that WP7 will be a success, but there are no real sales numbers available (one estimate from an anonymous source from an unnamed market research firm does not really count), which is MS's fault, but no one really knows what is happening.

2 developers griping does not spell doom for WP7, any more than a couple of iOS developers leaving because of problems with the iOS approval process.
  • Reply 38 of 291
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Quote:

No, more like "You'll be able to use them with as little effort as possible."

Quote:

Different circumstances now though. Apple and Google got that market share by making their smart phones more appealing to a broader range of people. Windows Mobile was a strong OS, but definitely not for your average person

Quote:

Yes, people are pissed, and I'm with you. They could have gotten it right had they made some minor "thumb friendly" changes to windows mobile, and worked harder at ensuring better performance through proper drivers on each device, but instead, they decided to revamp the whole thing.

You know what pissed me off the most? Right after WP7 was ANNOUNCED (not released) companies started pushing out whatever they were working on as final releases with no pending development, all because they saw MS bring the axe down on WM. Firefox's mobile browser, for example, went from beta to final in a day, and nothing was fixed from the beta. They literally just called the beta a final and said screw it.

Quote:

bingo

Quote:

I think WP7 users are hoping developers view things differently lol. Without apps, it'll be on par with a Samsung Instinct (in terms of a smashed positive outlook.)
  • Reply 39 of 291
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

Apple fans should actually want WP7 to succeed as it caps how quickly Android can grow. It provides a second option for companies like HTC to use, effectively splitting the market currently owned by Android phones.

I disagree with this. I recently went down to the microsoft store in Mission Viejo and checked out these phones. They are decent, and would be awesome if the iphone never existed. But I want them to fly off the shelves simply because it makes Apple sit up and take notice. It forces Apple to adjust their game plan, bring out a better iphone more quickly, etc... Same thing with Android. I want Android to succeed in a huge way- so Apple has something to compete with! The greatest thing for consumers right now would be for Android and WP7 to actually take marketshare away from the iPhone, so at least we can get the iPhone on multiple carriers.

But yeah- the phones are nothing amazing. They do the job... that's about it. The advertising program is lame, the ads do not focus on the phone's features like Apple's iphone ads do... not sure how they screwed that up too...

All in all, I won't buy the iPhone 4 because it is on ATT, so I will hold on to my 3gs until I can get another carrier.
  • Reply 40 of 291
    Quote:

My point? Is Apple Insider is just link baiting, and they are not using any real data to back up their BS. They should stick to Apple stuff. Bashing on Microsoft stuff does what exactly at a Apple site? Fire up the fan girls? Ruffle some panties?

Don't bother to continue insulting people, either specifically, or in general. You can say what you want without doing that.

Right now, it's MS and its partners who are doing the BS. Making statements about selling out of product without stating actual sales numbers is exactly what Palm and Sprint did with the introduction of the Pre. They gleefully stated that they were sold out in several locations, then most locations, then all locations. They promised that more product would be coming as soon as they could catch up in production. But it turned out that they only sold 50,000 units in the first week.

MS is duplicating that method. We have no idea how many phones have been sold, because they refuse to say. When companies hide their data, its because it isn't good. If developers are not getting their data, or payments, you can bet it's for the same reason.

You should be complaining about MS's tactics instead of complaining about the info AI is getting. This isn't the only site writing articles like this, and most of them are not Apple oriented sites.