Apple won't allow demos, trials, betas on Mac App Store

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 113
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by screamingfist View Post

the writing is on the wall if you care to read it. the future is the STORE and if you ain't in it you don't get installed. (well, unless you want to root or do something like that)

This isn't a very persuasive argument, in that it is based on literally nothing.
  • Reply 102 of 113
    Quote:

the writing is on the wall if you care to read it. the future is the STORE and if you ain't in it you don't get installed. (well, unless you want to root or do something like that)

LOL. Show me one piece of documentation or one quote that proves this and I'll stop thinking of you as a troll.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by wealthychef View Post

After all is said and done, what is the actual purported benefit to me as a mac user for ever using the App Store on my desktop? Sounds like an expensive hassle I'll avoid.

To have multi-license applications, infinitely downloadable on all of your computers. Also, a concise place for third-party updates. Finally.
  • Reply 103 of 113
    and can be found at http://www.apple.com/downloads/

oh wait, no! apple is not making money with it! rush, close it!
  • Reply 104 of 113
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bodypainter View Post

and can be found at http://www.apple.com/downloads/

oh wait, no! apple is not making money with it! rush, close it!

Well, Apple likely will close it when the Mac App Store actually launches. OR OR OR, hey! Make www.apple.com/downloads the place for demos! I mean, we have plenty of demos there right now, just remove all the real applications, put them in the App Store, and make the Downloads page into www.apple.com/demos
  • Reply 105 of 113
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

[Advantages to App store for Macs}

To have multi-license applications, infinitely downloadable on all of your computers. Also, a concise place for third-party updates. Finally.

Add in:

- Ability to buy online with an iTunes gift card (doesn't require credit card)

- Ability for newbies who are uncomfortable finding and buying apps online

- Greater visibility for smaller app vendors (and greater accessibility for users)

- Quick notification of upgrades

- Validation by Apple to reduce risk of malware or other bad behavior

- Requirement to follow Apple programming guidelines (if it works the same way as the iOS App Store) means that apps will, in general, be more stable and reliable

And a lot more.

I don't see it every becoming required and I suspect that many apps will be available both by purchasing them at retail or in the App Store (such as iWork as one example).

I'm also sure that SOME people will never use it - preferring to get their apps via more traditional ways.

But the fundamental principle is sound and will be a useful option for a lot of people. I've been using Macs for 25 years and know them inside and out, but I'll still probably use it for utilities and smaller apps.

But back to the topic at hand, Apple's position is reasonable. Why should Apple pay all the promotional and infrastructure costs only to have the customer install a free app and then link to the developer's web site to purchase it? Apple has no obligation to promote anyone's apps for free.

I think a far more likely scenario (and one which Apple might go for) is something like the Adobe Photoshop / Photoshop Elements apps. Apple might sell a consumer version of an app which meets the needs of a large fraction of consumers even if the developer sells a full 'Pro' version online or at retail.
  • Reply 106 of 113
    Quote:

Well, Apple likely will close it when the Mac App Store actually launches. OR OR OR, hey! Make www.apple.com/downloads the place for demos! I mean, we have plenty of demos there right now, just remove all the real applications, put them in the App Store, and make the Downloads page into www.apple.com/demos

apple won't make money with that so you won't see that happening!

they will close that page and it's gone! it's actually already gone, because it WAS in the top menu bar, but isn't anymore.

however, a steve jobs MUST SEE: http://youtu.be/-24euRgImPg?hd=1
  • Reply 107 of 113
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bodypainter View Post

apple won't make money with that so you won't see that happening!

Are you even attempting to base this in fact?

Quote:

they will close that page and it's gone! it's actually already gone, because it WAS in the top menu bar, but isn't anymore.

Uh, no. It's not "actually already gone". It still exists. It will likely keep existing for a decent while, as drivers, plugins, icons, screensavers, and demos have absolutely no place in the Mac App Store.
  • Reply 108 of 113
    [QUOTE=Tallest Skil;1763168]LOL. Show me one piece of documentation or one quote that proves this and I'll stop thinking of you as a troll.

i don't think it is a stretch to see the convergence of mac os and ios and the app store. i don't see them relaxing the iphone app store and the tactics in use by apple do suggest a more app restrictive future than the opposite.

like i said that was my opinion.

i really don't care that you think me a troll but i will say there is absolutely nothing you can do that will cause me to stop thinking of you as an idiot.
  • Reply 109 of 113
    Quote:

the tactics in use by apple do suggest a more app restrictive future than the opposite.

like i said that was my opinion.

i really don't care that you think me a troll but i will say there is absolutely nothing you can do that will cause me to stop thinking of you as an idiot.

Sure there is. Stop this nonsensical train of thought that Apple will disallow OS X applications not sold through the Mac App Store.

Also, please edit your post to remove the insult. They're against the rules.
  • Reply 110 of 113
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

This isn't a very persuasive argument, in that it is based on literally nothing.

gee willy winkee, Frege. i will try to care enough to do better next time...
  • Reply 111 of 113
    Quote:

Sure there is. Stop this nonsensical train of thought that Apple will disallow OS X applications not sold through the Mac App Store.

Also, please edit your post to remove the insult. They're against the rules.

you remove yours calling me a troll and i will do the same. you started with the insult and now cry about it. pathetic.
  • Reply 112 of 113
    doh123doh123 Posts: 323member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post

Microsoft and Steam will have to make a little effort to remove their ugly folders out of our document folders!

Most MS software, and Steam for sure.. are not eligible to be sold in the store. MS might be able to make special versions that can be, but currently not even MS Office 2011 meets the requirements. Steam will never meet the requirements because they don't allow any software that can download or sell other software.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

I know, right? The only reason I don't install Steam for Mac is because of it's startup daemon. Perhaps if they want to go on the App Store they will cut that sh*t out and I will finally be able to enjoy it.

Won't ever happen unless Apple majorly relaxes its rules on the app store.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kakeroat View Post

Demos, free wares, beta versions, add supported softwares can be installed directly on mac. Mac app store does not kills direct installation options.

Paid software can be purchased on app store. This will allow developers to earn more money, than they do by selling software directly.

So lot of resources of apple get saved. They don't have to host free softwares. Direct installation is always available. Plus apple are not earning anything from it.

Its a smart decision.

They already allow free software. Its nothing to do with free or not free... Free software is perfectly allowable in the App store.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

It's not as if consumers will suddenly forget that there's a website for the developer when MAS comes out.

suddenly...? no... after 5 or 6 years... very likely.
  • Reply 113 of 113
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

App Store:

Adobe CS 5 Design Premium - $1299

You visit adobe.com for the trial and download it

On the site, they have Adobe CS 5 Design Premium - $1299-30% = $899

So where will you buy it from?

Developers can do that today.

But they don't.

Think about why.