Google activating 300,000 Android devices per day, for free

Comments

• Reply 21 of 175
    povilaspovilas Posts: 473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PaiZuri View Post

You can just imagine the bitter fanboys tears streaming from your face...

300,000 Android phones a day comes out to about 110 million a year 27 million a quarter.

Google is now outselling Nokia's 26.5 million for last quarter.

Apple only sold 14 million phones last quarter. Android is almost doubling iPhone sales. That is some epic ownage of Apple by Google.

Why are you feeding this TROLL, people?
  • Reply 22 of 175
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by skottichan View Post

Did you actually read the article? The part where it said that it's estimated that there are 340,000 iOS devices activated a day.

The other part, that's 300,000 free Android devices, which makes Google a whopping $0/unit. Whereas Apple's making money on every device.

Let's compare Apples to Apples and Androids to Androids:

the iOS activations include iPod Touches, iPads, AND iPHones. The Android activations include only Android phones and the few tablets (Samsung Galaxy Tab at 1 million since summer). If you just look at phones to phones, Android is outselling iPhone.
  • Reply 23 of 175
    "Apple likes to sit and control the whole user experience better, and it's a tradeoff," Wozniak said. "The Android platform might have the greater market share, but individually as a company, I'm sure Apple will probably wind up on top in mobile phones." (CNN)

It still takes 175 different (known) Android phone models to outsell ONE.
  • Reply 24 of 175
    The name of the game is: which company will be principally responsible for shaping the future of mobile computing? And in that game, installed base is everything. All the hackneyed arguments about "profit" or "fragmentation" are just subterfuge with regard to the "big picture."

As has been mentioned before, the # of "activations" being discussed is iOS devices (iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch, and possibly Apple TV if they wanted to pad their #'s) versus Android Market-enabled devices (Smartphones, Galaxy Tab devices).

Take away from that what you will, but it's clear that Android will soon surpass iPhone in total smartphone installed base in North America if it hasn't already. Global smartphone install base won't be far behind.

I'm looking forward to reports in a few weeks from independent marketing research firms like comScore and Gartner on the latest smartphone figures for November.
  • Reply 25 of 175
    I'm always amazed at how Appleinsider is so blatantly biased against Android. They minimize everything about Android that's good. When I compare this site to, say, AndroidCentral.com, this difference is stark. At AndroidCentral, they don't bash the iPhone and minimize iOS. Sure, they compare, but they don't minimize.

I really don't understand why iOS-centric people are so afraid of Android. Sure, Android will soon dominate the market but what this does is forces Apple to make an even better iPhone. Isn't that what anyone would want? If iPhone were still the only desirable device as it was 1.5 years ago, then it wouldn't have the features it has today, such as multitasking (limited though it is), camera flash, and so on. The "Droid Does" campaign drove Steve Jobs crazy, but to which he responded with a better iPhone4 (even though consumer reports still won't recommend it).
  • Reply 26 of 175
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gwydion View Post

Actually yes, GMail, Google Maps or Android Market aren't part of Android

Precisely. If you download Android, you don't get full functionality. No email reader, no maps, no market place. You need additional code from Google to make a competitive handset. That is NOT open. [Not saying iOS is, just that Android is not as open as google wants you to believe].
  • Reply 27 of 175
    It's all good. My son has jumped onto Android from iPhone and I miss sharing apps over Wifi with him. That would be cool if Apple and Google could work on this. Win win for everybody. I hate all this infighting. Unless your on windows of course.
  • Reply 28 of 175
    gary54gary54 Posts: 169member
    for every man, woman and child in the USA in less than two years? One smart phone for every man, woman and child in the USA and EU combined in 4 years?

A phone is for making calls.

I don't own a smart phone. I don't want to own a smart phone. I want my phone to make calls with, not wash dishes or walk the dog. Most of the folks I know don't have or want smart phones for more less the same reason.

One smart phone for every man, woman and child in the USA in less than two years?

Something wrong with this picture
  • Reply 29 of 175
    Also keep in mind that they are not counting units sold here, but units being activated by Google. Only devices that come bundled with Google apps get activated.

And I don't think you can point to Android being free as some sort of guarantee of success. Just look at Linux and the netbook market. Even though Android doesn't have a licensing cost attached to it, it still costs money to design, manufacture and ship Android-based phones.

And sure you can get a 2 for 1 deal on some models of Android phones, and there are low-cost handsets (though they are not nearly as popular), you are still stuck with a 2-year dataplan. A free phone on a 2-year plan is still considerably more expensive than an iPod Touch, an iPad or an Apple TV, when you add up the cost.

Nobody is getting anything for free.
  • Reply 30 of 175
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PaiZuri View Post

You can just imagine the bitter fanboys tears streaming from your face...

300,000 Android phones a day comes out to about 110 million a year 27 million a quarter.

Google is now outselling Nokia's 26.5 million for last quarter.

Apple only sold 14 million phones last quarter. Android is almost doubling iPhone sales. That is some epic ownage of Apple by Google.

This is an Apple friendly site, why are you on here ? Don't you have anything better to do, than to annoy people ? Perhaps you should go onto an android friendly site and bask in the false glory.

I like how you confuse OS and phones, did you bother to read the article let alone allow some of the information to permeate into your brain cells ?

Apple is still ahead with OS activations, and this 300,000 figure being touted includes updates and not new OS devices, so its very mis-leading and down right a lie.

Anyway laugh now, because soon WP7 (piece of crap as it is), will soon start devouring into android market share, so have a nice trip to the bottom of the profit barrel.
  • Reply 31 of 175
    tjwtjw Posts: 216member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jayhammy View Post

I'm always amazed at how Appleinsider is so blatantly biased against Android. They minimize everything about Android that's good. When I compare this site to, say, AndroidCentral.com, this difference is stark. At AndroidCentral, they don't bash the iPhone and minimize iOS. Sure, they compare, but they don't minimize.

I really don't understand why iOS-centric people are so afraid of Android. Sure, Android will soon dominate the market but what this does is forces Apple to make an even better iPhone. Isn't that what anyone would want? If iPhone were still the only desirable device as it was 1.5 years ago, then it wouldn't have the features it has today, such as multitasking (limited though it is), camera flash, and so on. The "Droid Does" campaign drove Steve Jobs crazy, but to which he responded with a better iPhone4 (even though consumer reports still won't recommend it).

I agree. AppleInsider is more like a cult than a technology blog.

The reason they are so worked up is because apple fan boys are used to being the 'cool' little guy in the corner. With the iPhone and iOS they have in the space of a few years become the big guy centre stage. Now they're shit scared of (inevitable though it is) becoming the 'cool' little guy in the corner again.

It's amazing how everyone here believes google just copy apple too. Without 'droid does' I wonder if steve would have even bothered with their poor implementation of multi-tasking.

This activation rate is only going to accelerate when honey-comb i.e android optimised for tablets starts letting decent android tablets pop up everywhere.
  • Reply 32 of 175
    Quote:

Thank you! I've noticed the same thing myself. The Apple fanboy sites are filled with some really immature people who use every opportunity to put down anything not invented by Apple without ever trying to understand it.
  • Reply 33 of 175
    I wince every time I see this sort of 'topic changing' (in this case from activations to value per activation) tactic, for two reasons. First, it's not an argument between Android and iOS - perhaps it in here in the forums, but presumably AppleInsider exists for reporting and analysis, not straight-ahead Apple apologetics. Second, even if it was an argument, such topic-changing is bad form and generally a signal that the apologist feels they can't easily defend their original line of argument.

I would also like to hear why they give 1.5million/week in an official presentation, then an engineer (albeit an executive engineer) tweets a number that implies 2.1+ million/week. I actually would suspect the second number is somehow mistaken or is only true in a different context from the first. Tweets, of course, don't allow much room for explanation. For an example of the latter: what if all activations are allocated as taking place on weekdays(for accounting reasons). They could average over 300k/day over those five days and be in the 1.5million weekly range. So, the tweet number would be a true number, just taken from a different context than the 1.5million/mo. number.

Here's hoping someone can enlighten us regarding this conflict.
  • Reply 34 of 175
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cwoloszynski View Post

Precisely. If you download Android, you don't get full functionality. No email reader, no maps, no market place. You need additional code from Google to make a competitive handset. That is NOT open. [Not saying iOS is, just that Android is not as open as google wants you to believe].

You're distorting the facts a bit and stating more of a personal opinion about what constitutes a "competitive handset."

You are right that the Android Open Source Project (AOSP) does not contain proprietary Google apps like Gmail, or Maps. However, it does provide the open source-code for everything that is needed for a fully functioning modern smarthphone. Things like Mail (contrary to your statement about it not having an email reader), a Dialer, Contacts, Web Browser, Google Search, ability to sideload additional apps, etc.

So the practical effect is that anyone with the know-how (OEM, end-user) can download the full source code and modify it in anyway they deem fit. However, if you are an end-user who requires specific Google services based on individual usage then you'll have to buy a handset that is licensed for those other proprietary Google apps. To my knowledge, every mainstream smartphone to ship with Android has been licensed to use the Android Market.

You have to decouple specific value-add services from core OS features because they are not the same thing. When Microsoft released Bing search for Android did anyone expect them to open-source their code? How about any other 3rd party? Google should be considered in the same category when it comes to those other non-essential apps. While it's true that Android development is led by Google, they are not the sole contributor to the platform.
  • Reply 35 of 175
    Quote:

Really ? Do you bother counting the trolls and Apple haters who have parked their stinking carcasses on our site and refuse to move. DuhHardon is the a perfect example. He was almost creaming in his blue ringers about the new mottorolli tablet just the other day.

So pardon me for bashing android, but we Apple fans have good reason to, and it has been commented about so many times, but you android fans are just deaf to reason and logic.

So we bash you another way.

So don't go around crying foul buddy boy.
  • Reply 36 of 175
    There is nothing to fear from Androids soon to be larger market share than the iPhone.

You can't expect Apple to just give away iOS for free and expect to sell hardware.

Google is giving Android away for free to prevent Microsoft from gaining a foothold in the larger "we make the OS and you all make the hardware" market.

People should understand the concept of 'over running with numbers', that's Android.

It's a concept Apple doesn't partake of as they want to be seen as a quality company, so they control both the hardware and the software.

This means lower market share, but so what? Apple is making a profit and Google presently isn't on Android directly, but likely will eventually once Microsoft finally gives up and exits the market.

In the meanwhile Google is making money on Android by selling your personal details and owning the OS that sends you advertising.

Google's OS Chrome computers can be a real threat to Microsoft in the business world as these businesses are looking for a less expensive, less maintenance needing, dumb-ed down machine for basic use. Of course Apple has beat them to the punch with the iPad.
  • Reply 37 of 175
    gary54gary54 Posts: 169member
    A telephone.

Something you use to make calls with for crying out loud

Why are you people trolling arguing and jeering who sells more phones than the next guy?

Are you in grade school or something?
  • Reply 38 of 175
    2 cents2 cents Posts: 307member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gary54 View Post

for every man, woman and child in the USA in less than two years? One smart phone for every man, woman and child in the USA and EU combined in 4 years?

A phone is for making calls.

I don't own a smart phone. I don't want to own a smart phone. I want my phone to make calls with, not wash dishes or walk the dog. Most of the folks I know don't have or want smart phones for more less the same reason.

One smart phone for every man, woman and child in the USA in less than two years?

Something wrong with this picture

Let me guess. You thought the whole computer and internet thing was a fad that would blow over. As my brother-in-law said, we can just go back to using paper.
  • Reply 39 of 175
    Quote:

An iPhone costs around £100 more than the other phones if not more. When you've paid that premium you arn't going to admit something else could be better.

Plus im guessing the writers probably invested in AAPL and want to see there share price increase. We've had enough articles on how the share price is going to increase to indicate there promoting Apple rather than reviewing them.
  • Reply 40 of 175
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tjw View Post

I agree. AppleInsider is more like a cult than a technology blog.

The reason they are so worked up is because apple fan boys are used to being the 'cool' little guy in the corner. With the iPhone and iOS they have in the space of a few years become the big guy centre stage. Now they're shit scared of (inevitable though it is) becoming the 'cool' little guy in the corner again.

It's amazing how everyone here believes google just copy apple too. Without 'droid does' I wonder if steve would have even bothered with their poor implementation of multi-tasking.

This activation rate is only going to accelerate when honey-comb i.e android optimised for tablets starts letting decent android tablets pop up everywhere.

Hey buddy, go do some research (if you know what the word means). The original android phone was a copy of the Blackberry, physical keyboard, no/minimal touch UI.

Suddenly they change track and come out with an iPhone copy. Did you ever ask yourself why ?

Are you just plain ignorant or stupid, or both ?

Android is a very poor copy of iOS, apps don't work, developers don't get paid, fragmentation hell, yet you turn a blind eye to this.

I think you need to activate your cholecalciferol a little more, and come out from your mummies basement into the real world.