Google activating 300,000 Android devices per day, for free

Comments

• Reply 41 of 175
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MarkJones View Post

In the meanwhile Google is making money on Android by selling your personal details and owning the OS that sends you advertising.

Android doesn't "send you advertising" any more than iOS does.
  • Reply 42 of 175
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PaiZuri View Post

You can just imagine the bitter fanboys tears streaming from your face...

300,000 Android phones a day comes out to about 110 million a year 27 million a quarter.

Google is now outselling Nokia's 26.5 million for last quarter.

Apple only sold 14 million phones last quarter. Android is almost doubling iPhone sales. That is some epic ownage of Apple by Google.

And yet another Apple hating troll with an inferiority complex and envy joins AppleInsider with an insightful first post. How delightful.
  • Reply 43 of 175
    My how the trolls flock to any pro-android news, like moths to a flame.

Even on Apple-centric sites, they are so insecure that they must thump their chests and tell all how good android is, what they are trying to say is "look androyd is as good as iOS".

In reality they are saying "when the f&$k is my carrier going to upgrade my plasticly piece of s*#t to androyd version 2.x". Well actually never idiot. Why should they ? Makes no business sense to do so.

But makes perfect sense to get you to buy another piece of crap.

Your choice go, but please, oh please can you remove yourselves from our site.
  • Reply 44 of 175
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gwydion View Post

Do you really believe those things?

What OS did Apple copy with the first iPhone, then?
  • Reply 45 of 175
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Rubin Android activations seem uninformative to me. I seem to recall Jobs saying that they are activating x-many unique iOS devices per day, with some days exceeding an even higher number. Saying “each day” is ambiguous as to when the ≥ 300k started. For on the past 2 days since before the tweet? For the Black Friady weekend?

PS: Come on people, you know PaiZuri was just baiting you all. Ignore the trolls.
  • Reply 46 of 175
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by timgriff84 View Post

An iPhone costs around £100 more than the other phones if not more. When you've paid that premium you arn't going to admit something else could be better.

Meh.. Talking about inferiority complex. I had tried some top Android models and I don't think they're better than iPhone at all. Yes, iPhone is more expensive and here Android phones that are more or less the same price just sitting gathering dust while people flocked to buy half the price models.
  • Reply 47 of 175
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Mac OS X?s Darwin? literally. That lazy iPhone team couldn?t even choose a different OS to make iPhone OS. What a bunch of good for nothings.
  • Reply 48 of 175
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by inkswamp View Post

The original versus the copycats. It's always been that way. It always will be.

The two situations aren't even remotely similar. I don't understand why people keep repeating this meme. Most significantly, the Mac never had the market share in computers that the iPhone has in smart phones, but there are numerous other differences too. It doesn't take a whole lot of thinking and even a casual acquaintance with computing history to see how that comparison doesn't really work. In fact, you can make a far more compelling argument that in this case, Apple is more like Microsoft of yesteryear and Google is the mid-80s Apple, but even that comparison is not entirely without flaws.

The two are similar IMHO in one important aspect; both Google and MS business models rely on market domination. Conversely, Apple's model relies on differentiation within the marketplace.

What I mean is this. Google introduced Android to support its domination of paid search. Mobile was a threat, particularly when Windows Mobile looked strong, because carriers and manufacturers had much more influence over the choice of search engine than on the desktop. If Windows Mobile seized a large chunk of the market, which was conceivable in 2005, they could force everyone to use Bing (or Windows Live Search, or whatever it was called) services. This threatened Google's dominance, so as a defensive move, they developed Android to maintain their market dominance and promote their services. If Bing were to go away entirely, Google would be delighted. It would just mean more revenue for Google and fewer threats. Nothing about this models needs other providers.

This is much like MS's approach and their Windows Tax aspiration. It's well documented and not worth repeating here. Essentially, they wanted Windows everywhere and to kill all competition, which they almost managed.

Apple is different. It has always tried to differentiate itself from others' product offerings by making integrated products that are more usable, more powerful, prettier, cooler, and just plain better than their competitors. They want customers to have choice and to choose them, even if their products won't do everything that everyone wants. Apple relies on being different (or better) and needs others to allow customers to make this relative judgement. Apple needs to operate in a plural marketplace with lots of providers.

So, Apple is not like MS, but Google is.

Long-time lurked, first-time poster. Hi everyone.
  • Reply 49 of 175
    rindrind Posts: 66member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jayhammy View Post

I'm always amazed at how Appleinsider is so blatantly biased against Android. They minimize everything about Android that's good. When I compare this site to, say, AndroidCentral.com, this difference is stark. At AndroidCentral, they don't bash the iPhone and minimize iOS. Sure, they compare, but they don't minimize.

I really don't understand why iOS-centric people are so afraid of Android. Sure, Android will soon dominate the market but what this does is forces Apple to make an even better iPhone. Isn't that what anyone would want? If iPhone were still the only desirable device as it was 1.5 years ago, then it wouldn't have the features it has today, such as multitasking (limited though it is), camera flash, and so on. The "Droid Does" campaign drove Steve Jobs crazy, but to which he responded with a better iPhone4 (even though consumer reports still won't recommend it).

Not sure about Android Central , but there are other

AnDroid Sites that the Apple bashing is very bad on.

There are many Android Fanboi's that go out of there way to bash

anything Apple does without even taking a look at the product.

I am fairly neutral when it comes to technology.

Windows Vista PC, MacBook Pro, Droid X Phone , iPhone 3G

Each device can serve its purpose but Apple products are for the most part a

more finished product, that you can depend on.

I have already needed a factory reset on the Droid X just so the stock music player would work. I wont go into all the other problems i have had with Android.
  • Reply 50 of 175
    enohpienohpi Posts: 103member
    Quote:

. If you just look at phones to phones, Android is outselling iPhone.

I think that Google is cooking the books.
  • Reply 51 of 175
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jm9843 View Post

The name of the game is: which company will be principally responsible for shaping the future of mobile computing? And in that game, installed base is everything. All the hackneyed arguments about "profit" or "fragmentation" are just subterfuge with regard to the "big picture."

As has been mentioned before, the # of "activations" being discussed is iOS devices (iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch, and possibly Apple TV if they wanted to pad their #'s) versus Android Market-enabled devices (Smartphones, Galaxy Tab devices).

Take away from that what you will, but it's clear that Android will soon surpass iPhone in total smartphone installed base in North America if it hasn't already. Global smartphone install base won't be far behind.

I'm looking forward to reports in a few weeks from independent marketing research firms like comScore and Gartner on the latest smartphone figures for November.

WHO F'ing CARES? No, really?

Android is being placed on just about every smartphone coming out that is not an iPhone. It's naturally going to overtake Apple, but it simple does not matter. Why? Because there are PLENTY of folks who are happy to be dialed into the clean Apple ecosystem, so Apple will continue to sell iPhones by the boatload. When the phone is offered on Verizon, you will see a nice bump in sales. Android will still outpace the iPhone, but once again it doesn't matter.

Apple is doing exactly what they need to do and are being rewarded with sales that have valued the company as #2 in the world.
  • Reply 52 of 175
    Quote:

I really don't understand why iOS-centric people are so afraid of Android.

That is because Google is trying to kill the iPhone. If not for that, it would be OK for them to coexist. But Google is trying to kill the iPhone.
  • Reply 53 of 175
    tjwtjw Posts: 216member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by enohpI View Post

That is because Google is trying to kill the iPhone. If not for that, it would be OK for them to coexist. But Google is trying to kill the iPhone.

prove it
  • Reply 54 of 175
    mrstepmrstep Posts: 514member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"the definition of open: 'mkdir android ; cd android ; repo init -u git://android.git.kernel.org/platform/manifest.git ; repo sync ; make."

I totally agree - my parents were incredibly excited when they realized that while the UI and performance may not be consistent, and the app selection is more limited and apps may or may not work well on their devices, that they could issue the above commands to compile their own kernel. I assume that's the main draw on GoogleTV as well?

So basically the only other tweet Rubin had was to counter Jobs, and then he totally missed the point of what the argument was. Nice.
  • Reply 55 of 175
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by White Rabbit View Post

Apple is still ahead with OS activations, and this 300,000 figure being touted includes updates and not new OS devices, so its very mis-leading and down right a lie.

It is down right a lie!
  • Reply 56 of 175
    gwydiongwydion Posts: 1,083member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Have I said that Apple has copied anything?

I was quoting someoneo who has said that everyone copies Apple.
  • Reply 57 of 175
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tjw View Post

prove it

"We did not enter the search business, Jobs said. They entered the phone business. Make no mistake they want to kill the iPhone. We won?t let them, he says. Someone else asks something on a different topic, but there?s no getting Jobs off this rant. I want to go back to that other question first and say one more thing, he says. This don?t be evil mantra: ?It?s bullshit.?
  • Reply 58 of 175
    gwydiongwydion Posts: 1,083member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by enohpI View Post

"We did not enter the search business, Jobs said. They entered the phone business. Make no mistake they want to kill the iPhone. We won?t let them, he says. Someone else asks something on a different topic, but there?s no getting Jobs off this rant. I want to go back to that other question first and say one more thing, he says. This don?t be evil mantra: ?It?s bullshit.?

Ah, the proof that Google wants to kill the iphone is a quote from Jobs saying that Google wants to kill the iPhone.

Yes, a very good and reliable proof
  • Reply 59 of 175
    Maybe Android has become self-aware and is activating by itself.. Heck maybe Andy Rubin is an Android.. Who knows?!
  • Reply 60 of 175
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gwydion View Post

Ah, the proof that Google wants to kill the iphone is a quote from Jobs saying that Google wants to kill the iPhone.

Yes, a very good and reliable proof

Don?t forget you also have a quote from enohpI saying that Google wants to kill the iPhone. That has to mean something¡