Google activating 300,000 Android devices per day, for free

Comments

• Reply 61 of 175
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Free fragmentation for everyone!! Come and git it, folks!
  • Reply 62 of 175
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by White Rabbit View Post

Apple is still ahead with OS activations, and this 300,000 figure being touted includes updates and not new OS devices, so its very mis-leading and down right a lie.

Where did you read this?

Quote:

Anyway laugh now, because soon WP7 (piece of crap as it is), will soon start devouring into android market share, so have a nice trip to the bottom of the profit barrel.

Soon? There's an article on AI stating it'll take 2 years before WP7 catches up. 2 years is a long time.
  • Reply 63 of 175
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by enohpI View Post

I think that Google is cooking the books.

Why do you think that? Smartphone sales have exploded (96% year-over-year) and the majority of those (with perhaps the exception of AT&T) are Android devices.
  • Reply 64 of 175
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    Can anyone explain to me how the upcoming Chrome OS fits into this? Is google going to replace Android with this when it comes out? Wont that confuse users? Good new for Apple has this will make yet another OS in the sea, keeping one from dominating the market.
  • Reply 65 of 175
    gwydiongwydion Posts: 1,083member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Don?t forget you also have a quote from enohpI saying that Google wants to kill the iPhone. That has to mean something¡

I wish that some post like enohpI one where paid by Apple competitors, because they make so harm to Apple making their supporters look dumb
  • Reply 66 of 175
    Android is the eMachines of mobile OSs.
  • Reply 67 of 175
    moewmoew Posts: 41member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by skottichan View Post

Did you actually read the article? The part where it said that it's estimated that there are 340,000 iOS devices activated a day.

The other part, that's 300,000 free Android devices, which makes Google a whopping $0/unit. Whereas Apple's making money on every device.

You just fell hook/line/sinker for this author's one sided claim.

Every wonder why non-channel Android devices don't have access to the Marketplace? Think about that for 2 seconds.... maybe 2 minutes if you are a brainwashed fanboi. Remember those $100 android tablets that showed up at kmart or walmart? Try one of those as an example.

I wonder if there's any licensing to use google products, such as maps, browsers, marketplace, etc. I'll bet the author missed that point.

Plus ios (not the Cisco OS) devices include music only devices, which are hardly feature phones. They only fragment the Apple line even more. Apple is clever here to class all ios into their "activations", as that just means an itunes account. It helps inflate their numbers.
  • Reply 68 of 175
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tjw View Post

I agree. AppleInsider is more like a cult than a technology blog.

The reason they are so worked up is because apple fan boys are used to being the 'cool' little guy in the corner. With the iPhone and iOS they have in the space of a few years become the big guy centre stage. Now they're shit scared of (inevitable though it is) becoming the 'cool' little guy in the corner again.

It's amazing how everyone here believes google just copy apple too. Without 'droid does' I wonder if steve would have even bothered with their poor implementation of multi-tasking.

This activation rate is only going to accelerate when honey-comb i.e android optimised for tablets starts letting decent android tablets pop up everywhere.

So you're surprised that a site called AppleInsider is biased towards Apple?

Why are you here?
  • Reply 69 of 175
    gwydiongwydion Posts: 1,083member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JakeBarnes View Post

So you're surprised that a site called AppleInsider is biased towards Apple?

No, one thinkg is being biased, another totally different is being a cult and a bashing site against anything that is not Apple.

And our beloved Daniel has changed his hatred from Microsoft to Google since this has been a treat to Apple.
  • Reply 70 of 175
    When Google passes Apple in market cap... then, maybe, I'll give a shit.

Till then... hey Google...
  • Reply 71 of 175
    jetzjetz Posts: 1,293member
    Wow. This article reeks of desperation. What happened to the attitude that market share doesn't matter? I guess now that Android has basically caught up the new line of discussion is to throw anything and everything at the wall that shows Android is not "successful".

First, there's the, "It doesn't make any/enough money line." Really? So a company that sells ads is not beating out a company that sells hardware and software bundled together. Stop the presses! What a revelation. DED is a genius.

As for Android being given away for free....the OS is given away for free. Google's proprietary apps (GMail, Android Market, etc.) are not. Google charges for those. And if they are activating 300 000 Android devices a day ( of which 95%+ are still only smartphones), then it's quite likely that Android's development costs are being paid for by licensing costs for Google's apps alone (even it's $1 per phone). Heck, they'd be making a good chunk of change at 214 000 activations per day. Even Andy Rubin says it's profitable. And more profitable and viable than it would have been without Google's backing according to him. Somehow, I think the guy who founded the company must know about its financials.

And let's say they actually gave away Android for free? So what? That's their business model. Seems to work well damn well for them on all their cloud centric businesses....to which incidentally Android drives a lot of traffic. Just because it can't work for Apple doesn't mean nobody else should be able to try out that strategy. The defensiveness on here borders on hysterical at times.

Be glad for the competition. I really wonder how good the iPhone 4 would have been if the Android truck hadn't been bearing down on iOS. And where would Apple's cloud strategy be without Google offering serious competition in that space. I'm glad Apple and Google broke up. It's better for me as a consumer that they compete. I'll bet the threat of Android has advanced Apple's development cycle by at least a year if not more. Jobs would have been happy to simply user cheaper tech, spread out his development cycle and rake in more profits per unit. I'll bet that this is what pisses him off about Android. It makes him work harder. If Apple goes dual core next year, throws in near field communications and super AMOLED screens, you can thank Android for that. Conversely, I'm grateful for the superb UI in iOS that keeps pushing Google to improve Android's usability. Just look at how much Android's UI and UX have improved in a year. There's no way that would have happened without competition from Android.

And smartphones wouldn't be getting commodotized if it wasn't for Android. People like to crow about how little profits the Android OEMs make. Except they still make more than they did when they sold dumbphones (heck Motorola's survival is entirely because of Android....the iPhone killed their cash cow: the RAZR line) and as their products get commodotized, they're putting high end smartphones within reach of more and more of the world's population everyday. All this driven by a free mobile OS, given away by an internet search (primarily) company. If Apple was the sole innovator in this space, nobody would be getting highly capable touchscreen smartphones for free on contract. Nor would any of them cost $500-$600 contract free.

All this brings me to my prediction...a Verizon iPhone won't change much at all. Verizon could add 20 000 activations a day to Apple's iOS count. But Android will probably have widened the gap by that much or more by the time the iPhone launches on Verizon. Especially as Android Honeycomb kicks off the Android Tablet run. But in the end do these numbers matter? If I'm a Verizon customer, I'd be happy to just get more choice. Now I get to choose between the iPhone, Blackberries, Windows Phone 7 and Android. Who could be against being spoiled by choices?
  • Reply 72 of 175
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nkhm View Post

Except for Android is installed on most phones given away for free, on two for one offers or on $10 handsets - greater market share != success.

Android should be outselling iOS by massive margins - that it is only just keeping up is appalling - they're giving this OS away and it can still only just keep ahead?

As a businessman, I'd rather sell three units at $300 than nine units at $10 and give even more away for free...

You're a terrible businssman if you don't understand the difference in business paradigms bet you and your competitor. Android's almost a loss-leader for Google. Those 300 000 activations a day...are 300 000 more pairs of eyeballs for Google Search, GMail, Google Maps, Google Latitude. And Google doesn't have to invest in hardware development. They just have to make the OS. There's not even much incremental expenditure on their other services. Spend on Android and drive customers towards Google's cloud services.

As for giving away handsets for free...that's not Google, or the OEMs (who get full price for their handsets), that's the carriers. For that small discount of $100-$200 on a handset they get to upsell a two year data contract. That must be a really hard concept for a businessman to understand: the upsell.
  • Reply 73 of 175
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jetz View Post

All this brings me to my prediction...a Verizon iPhone won't change much at all. Verizon could add 20 000 activations a day to Apple's iOS count.

It will change more than you think has Verizon will now promote iphones at there stores with ads. Going from pushing and promoting android to promoting iphones will make a huge impact on total iphone sales.

In canada you see big iphone 4 posters at every cell phone shops. That changed things in terms of visibility.

And I think Google is going to push ChromeOS on tablets so dont expect Android to take too much "activations" in that market. On the other hand, they are both Google OS. With RIM, windows, iOs, Android and ChromeOS, we are in for one hell of a ride in the next years. imo fragmetation helps Apple a lot, the only thing Apple need to fear is one coming out the winner.

Has long has the market stays fragmented, Apple is going to keep being the biggest phone/tablet company and by far the most profitable one.
  • Reply 74 of 175
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Walt: I notice more and more they are taking on the personality of the carrier, not Google, not the handset maker. There are lots of what I would call craplets. Verizon, for example, swapped out Google for Bing. Is there a danger it is being taken over?

Rubin: That’s the nature of open. That’s actually a feature of Android.

I can see Rubin in early American history clamoring for freedom for mankind against the oppressive British while keeping slaves and not seeing how there is a difference or an injustice. It sounds like Android is only open for the HW vendors and carriers who can then shackle the device in ways that adversely affect users in bizarre ways that defy any definition of “open" I know of.
  • Reply 75 of 175
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jetz View Post

If I'm a Verizon customer, I'd be happy to just get more choice. Now I get to choose between the iPhone, Blackberries, Windows Phone 7 and Android. Who could be against being spoiled by choices?

Brilliant post. And this last part made me smile because the answer to your question is: an Apple apologist. To them, choice equals "fragmentation."
  • Reply 76 of 175
    You are being tracked just like you are when you do a Google search.

Soylent Green is People.

There's Tuberculosis in the free blankets.

Cell phones cause Cancer.

Don't take candy from a stranger.

I'd charge at least a dollar for the OS and either buy the staff lunch, OR give some of it away to Charity! When something goes wrong, who are you going to send a "class action" lawsuit to?
  • Reply 77 of 175
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by womble2k2 View Post

Clarification;

iOS devices = iPhones, iPod Touches and iPads

Android devices = Android phones and Android tablets

Actually it's Android phones + Tablet (not plural). The only tablet that connects to the Android Market (and that's where these stats are from) is the Samsung Galaxy Tab.

Quote:

However, I do believe that these numbers must be including upgrades and re-activations following device resets,

You're wrong.

Quote:

...otherwise you would see in the real world that there are almost as many people with Android devices as iOS devices.

I live in London, and on a daily commute will spot a large proportion of people travelling on public transport on IPhones, listening to or playing with iPod Touches and a few times a week I see people with iPads.

For those who don't have iPhones, the majority of others are Nokia and Blackberry phones and I've never see anyone on trains / public transport here with any other type of tablet device.

Then when I look at my cirle of friends and work colleagues, I would say that 90% have either iPhones, Nokia Symbian and Blackberry devices. Only a handful of people I know have jumped onto the Android platform.

Your bias is compelling you to mix up the concept of market share and installed base. Android has only taken off this year. You can't really expect them to beat out 3 years worth of iPhone sales, and countless years of Nokia and Blackberry sales in one shot. Not to mention the fact that being in the UK, you actually got the better Androids months after they did in the US (just like us here in Canada...and we were later than you).

This time next year, you'll be seeing a lot more Androids on your Tube ride into work....

Quote:

I personally see no complelling reason to opt for an Android device other than the price. Yes, there are a few features that would be nice to have, but nothing outstanding.

What concerns me more are getting software upgrades as they are released. My previous device was a Vodafone branded Nokia N95 8GB. It frustrated me that;

1. Vodafone would drag they feet at getting the latest release of firmware to the phone.

2. Even if I opted to re-code the phone to take the UK generic firmware, it was still often months behind other international releases.

What I see with Android is even worse. Each Android handset manufacturer seems to take an age to get updates to the phone. Just look at how many devices are 1.x, 2.1, etc.

~15% are at 1.x. I'd venture to say that's probably the same proportion of iPhone 2G and iPhone 3G owners active in the iOS ecosystem who don't have the latest OS. And something like 40% of Androids are on 2.1. Yet as far as apps go, there really aren't that many that require 2.1, and I can only really think of 2 apps that require 2.2 (Flash and Skype). Even the new and fantastic Google Maps for Mobile 5 which uses vector graphics only needs Android 1.6. And speaking of Android 2.2. Just look at how fast phones have been upgraded to that standard. Over half the installed base will be on 2.2 by Christmas. Contrary to popular belief, fragmentation is actually getting better, not worse.

Quote:

As for Google not making any money from the platform, well, which company would invest so much resource, money and time into a platform if they didn't have a revenue stream coming from it.

Another genius who doesn't understand Google's business paradigm for Android.

And they do have a revenue stream. The OS is free. But you have to pay to license all of Google's proprietary apps including the Android Market.
  • Reply 78 of 175
    Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by PaiZuri View Post

You can just imagine the bitter fanboys tears streaming from your face...

300,000 Android phones a day comes out to about 110 million a year 27 million a quarter.

Google is now outselling Nokia's 26.5 million for last quarter.

Apple only sold 14 million phones last quarter. Android is almost doubling iPhone sales. That is some epic ownage of Apple by Google.

This is an Apple friendly site, why are you on here ? Don't you have anything better to do, than to annoy people ? Perhaps you should go onto an android friendly site and bask in the false glory.

I like how you confuse OS and phones, did you bother to read the article let alone allow some of the information to permeate into your brain cells ?

Apple is still ahead with OS activations, and this 300,000 figure being touted includes updates and not new OS devices, so its very mis-leading and down right a lie.

Anyway laugh now, because soon WP7 (piece of crap as it is), will soon start devouring into android market share, so have a nice trip to the bottom of the profit barrel.

Now that's what I'm talking about!

Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jayhammy View Post

I'm always amazed at how Appleinsider is so blatantly biased against Android. They minimize everything about Android that's good. When I compare this site to, say, AndroidCentral.com, this difference is stark. At AndroidCentral, they don't bash the iPhone and minimize iOS. Sure, they compare, but they don't minimize.

I really don't understand why iOS-centric people are so afraid of Android. Sure, Android will soon dominate the market but what this does is forces Apple to make an even better iPhone. Isn't that what anyone would want? If iPhone were still the only desirable device as it was 1.5 years ago, then it wouldn't have the features it has today, such as multitasking (limited though it is), camera flash, and so on. The "Droid Does" campaign drove Steve Jobs crazy, but to which he responded with a better iPhone4 (even though consumer reports still won't recommend it).

Really ? Do you bother counting the trolls and Apple haters who have parked their stinking carcasses on our site and refuse to move. DuhHardon is the a perfect example. He was almost creaming in his blue ringers about the new mottorolli tablet just the other day.

So pardon me for bashing android, but we Apple fans have good reason to, and it has been commented about so many times, but you android fans are just deaf to reason and logic.

So we bash you another way.

So don't go around crying foul buddy boy.

Hence APPLEinsider....
  • Reply 79 of 175
    tjwtjw Posts: 216member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bmovie View Post

You are being tracked just like you are when you do a Google search.

Soylent Green is People.

There's Tuberculosis in the free blankets.

Cell phones cause Cancer.

Don't take candy from a stranger.

I'd charge at least a dollar for the OS and either buy the staff lunch, OR give some of it away to Charity! When something goes wrong, who are you going to send a "class action" lawsuit to?

Everyone in the western world is being tracked. It doesn't matter what fuckin phone you have. This is not a valid argument whatsoever.
  • Reply 80 of 175
    So which figure is correct?

1) 300,000 phones/day per Rubin's tweet

2) 1,500,000 devices*/week (214,000/day) per the Nexus S launch

*which basically means phones, given the essential absence of other devices