WSJ: Verizon to announce CDMA iPhone 4 on Tuesday

Comments

• Reply 61 of 146
    shadashshadash Posts: 470member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by quinney View Post

In your feverish rush to hump the WSJ's leg, you missed the obvious sarcasm of shadash's post.

And if the mutual admiration society awards they have received are irrelevant, why did you mention them?

• Reply 62 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NOFEER View Post

what about all new iphone 4 for all

new antennae and everything, faster cycle to keep android at bay

1. It wouldn't be the same phone, therefore not the iPhone 4.

2. Apple doesn't need to "keep Android at bay".

3. They're not giving people free iPhones.
  • Reply 63 of 146
    c64c64 Posts: 33member
    it might just be an announcement of flexview available on the ipad and iphone\
  • Reply 64 of 146
    jetzjetz Posts: 1,293member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

What does it matter to Apple? They've already sold the other iDevices; Apple has their money, and they'll just get more with the necessity of a new device.

Read the whole sentence. I was referring to activations per day.

Quote:

T-Mobile... any of the other GSM providers... You know.

Riiiight. Because the current GSM chipset on the iPhone 4 is compatible with T-Mobile USA's AWS band.
  • Reply 65 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

In one paragraph he states it?s ?ridiculous? that RiM could have lowered their ASP which allowed BOGO sales to successfully increase their net profits, and in the next he?s ?curious? to see what happens to the iPhone?s ASP.

Can you quote the line where I mentioned RIM? Because I don't see any place in my post where RIM was mentioned once. Quit putting words in my mouth.

I am all for BOGO sales. In fact, screw BOGO sales. I really think all smartphones should be free on contract. If you're forking over a few grand to a carrier for a multi-year lock in, there's really no excuse for them not to pay for your phone. I look forward to that day.

I said I am curious what happens to Apple's ASP if AT&T loses exclusivity. It's a genuine curiosity. Not a dig at Apple. I really do want to know if they will manage to maintain it or it will slide.
  • Reply 66 of 146
    Quote:

3. They're not giving people free iPhones.

That's only true in the US. And just a reminder...the USA =/= the world.
  • Reply 67 of 146
    My brother is with Verizon and is anticipating the iPhone launch though both of us believe it will be an iPhone 4 (HSPA 3G) GSM model launching with Verizon in February. Verizon has already started their migration to GSM phones that use SIM cards. This is similar to what Telus and Bell did in Canada in 2009. People claimed that Apple was going to give them a CDMA iPhone but they instead only got the iPhone 4 after migrating their network to support GSM. Also keep in mind that Apple is going to release the next iPhone in the summer as they have done at the same time every year since the first iPhone 2G model launched. So I highly doubt Verizon customers will get a 4G iPhone and instead will have the same model we all have which is HSPA 3G.
  • Reply 68 of 146
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jetz View Post

Riiiight. Because the current GSM chipset on the iPhone 4 is compatible with T-Mobile USA's AWS band.

3G is meaningless. It works as a phone and works for EDGE. That it works is the point.

Quote:

That's only true in the US. And just a reminder...the USA =/= the world.

Of course. I took it that he was implying people would get free upgrades.
  • Reply 69 of 146
    penchantedpenchanted Posts: 1,070member
    Quote:

I am all for BOGO sales. In fact, screw BOGO sales. I really think all smartphones should be free on contract. If you're forking over a few grand to a carrier for a multi-year lock in, there's really no excuse for them not to pay for your phone. I look forward to that day.

I said I am curious what happens to Apple's ASP if AT&T loses exclusivity. It's a genuine curiosity. Not a dig at Apple. I really do want to know if they will manage to maintain it or it will slide.

This would only be realistic if all smartphones were roughly the same cost. The carrier provides a subsidy of $X and the customer pays the difference between that subsidy and the phone cost.

I do wonder if Apple will take a hit on the ASP of the iPhone. I don't think it will be that large even if they do - the increased unit sales will likely more than offset any decline in ASP.
  • Reply 70 of 146
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Imagine Engine View Post

My brother is with Verizon and is anticipating the iPhone launch though both of us believe it will be an iPhone 4 (HSPA 3G) GSM model launching with Verizon in February. Verizon has already started their migration to GSM phones that use SIM cards. This is similar to what Telus and Bell did in Canada in 2009. People claimed that Apple was going to give them a CDMA iPhone but they instead only got the iPhone 4 after migrating their network to support GSM. Also keep in mind that Apple is going to release the next iPhone in the summer as they have done at the same time every year since the first iPhone 2G model launched. So I highly doubt Verizon customers will get a 4G iPhone and instead will have the same model we all have which is HSPA 3G.

You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. No way is VZW migrating to GSM.
  • Reply 71 of 146
    Quote:

My brother is with Verizon

"Know a guy who knows a guy who knows..."

Quote:

Verizon has already started their migration to GSM phones that use SIM cards.

No, Verizon has already started their migration to LTE phones that use SIM cards. Get it straight. CDMA/LTE, not GSM/LTE. Any Verizon iPhone would have to be a minimum GSM/CDMA because LTE does not carry voice, only data.
  • Reply 72 of 146
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:

My brother is with Verizon and is anticipating the iPhone launch though both of us believe it will be an iPhone 4 (HSPA 3G) GSM model launching with Verizon in February.

You realize that means your brother, despite what he might say and you might believe, is totally out of the loop at Verizon and seems to have no chance of ever making anything of himself in any technology industry, right? That's like someone whose brother words for Merrill Lynch believing that ML is planning to issue its own currency and compete with the US Mint. Destined to stay in the mail room.
  • Reply 73 of 146
    macm37macm37 Posts: 41member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gcom006 View Post

No need for rumors. They're already testing. You can read about it on Clearwire's own site. While they're not out and out talking about dropping WiMax, it has more to do with trying to manage the public perception. Both will likely exist on some level for some time as both have their advantages in different settings. They're also very, very similar. By the time it's a relevant discuss, the worst case scenario is there will be a dual LTE/WiMax radio just like dual band GSM/CDMA setups. I really don't think the 4G thing will be an issue for Apple for a couple more years. They'll wait for a better rollout and better technology than will exist in the near future. It's not like this iPhone or likely the next one will have LTE, so the concern in the near future is a bit irrelevant.

Although it seems that you're on Sprint's network and awaiting the iPhone's arrival on it, I do hope that you do take into some consideration of how long it took Apple to get the Qualcomm dual-mode chip (CDMA/GSM that supports LTE). This chip is what will allow them to make one design for future LTE iPhones whether they will use CDMA or GSM for backup. Up until it's arrival, Apple has been frustrated with the possibility of redesigning a whole new iPhone for Verizon due to past designs being too big to shoehorn into the iPhone. They will be using a newer version of the Qualcomm dual-mode chip that is currently being used in the Motorola Droid 2 Global for the Verizon iPhone that's being announced on Tues, 1-11-11. Don't get me wrong bro, but your dream of the phone having a dual LTE/WiMax Radio is great and will take a while just as the Qualcomm dual-mode chip took to make. Apple will have to release a second model for WiMax, and you have to realize that their style is just making one design for their product. Even looking at a potential next carrier from a numbers standpoint, just knowing that Sprint may transition to LTE from WiMax is a big obstacle for them in becoming a next iPhone carrier.
  • Reply 74 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macm37 View Post

They may be using a newer version of the Qualcomm dual-mode chip that is currently being used in the Motorola Droid 2 Global for the Verizon iPhone that may be announced on Tues, 1-11-11.

Fixed.
  • Reply 75 of 146
    macm37macm37 Posts: 41member
    Quote:

Fixed.

Forgive my excitement in getting a Verizon iPhone soon; my miser but has been holding on too long to the phone I bought in 2005. The rumor mill got me anticipating this possible moment. Thanks for the correction bro!
  • Reply 76 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macm37 View Post

Forgive my excitement in getting a Verizon iPhone soon; my miser but has been holding on too long to the phone I bought in 2005. The rumor mill got me anticipating this possible moment. Thanks for the correction bro!

Hey, same here. Verizon craphone from aught five as well. It's always best to be pessimistic.
  • Reply 77 of 146
    bagmanbagman Posts: 349member
    I just tested my iphone 3G speed on Thursday, and again today, at various spots, and found the speed of ATT's HSPA+ network has "mysteriously" increased from a steady 1.2 Mbps download/.32 Mbps upload speed to between 3 and 4.3 Mbps download/.54 to 1.2 Mbps upload speed.

How CONVENIENT for ATT to suddenly unlock the speed that has probably been there all along, so they can boast that their so-called 4G network (HSPA+ actually) can compete with Verizon's upcoming 4G LTE network.

Makes me furious that they could have done this earlier, which will no doubt come out in the news next week as a smarmy way of keeping iPhone users from defecting, or to keep new users from going to Verizon.

Both ATT and Verizon are deceptive companies who will do anything to make their bottom line - what's that you say? --- "I'm SHOCKED, SHOCKED" (with apologies to Capt Renault (Claude Rains) from Casablanca).
  • Reply 78 of 146
    radjinradjin Posts: 165member
    And the great Android sucking sound is about to begin. Android sales have been dropping for months, I won't predict they will stop, but watch as android supported devices get very cheap or nonexistent.
  • Reply 79 of 146
    radjinradjin Posts: 165member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by penchanted View Post

I do wonder if Apple will take a hit on the ASP of the iPhone. I don't think it will be that large even if they do - the increased unit sales will likely more than offset any decline in ASP.

Apple will not take any hit, Verizon is so begging to get the iPhone they will likely pay even more than AT&T does. That won't matter either, Verizon customers have been so starved for the iPhone they may even break the first day sales through AT&T. Even better for you Android users, watch as those phone get really cheap.
  • Reply 80 of 146
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bagman View Post

How CONVENIENT for ATT to suddenly unlock the speed that has probably been there all along, so they can boast that their so-called 4G network (HSPA+ actually) can compete with Verizon's upcoming 4G LTE network.

1) Are AT&T actually calling HSPA+ ?4G?? I seem to recall them having a problem with T-Mobile USA doing that.

2) AT&T?s network can already compete with Verizon?s LTE. LTE is barely released, there are n handsets on the market, and its speeds will likely be slower than the HS*PA of AT&T and T-Mobile USA?s network for a few revisions of the LTE handset tech.

3) I think it?s just a coincidence because of the aforementioned items and the fact that AT&T has speeds much faster than what you are now just getting. I best I?ve seen is about 7Mbps/3Mbps on my iPhone 4.