WSJ: Verizon to announce CDMA iPhone 4 on Tuesday

Comments

• Reply 81 of 146
    aiaddictaiaddict Posts: 487member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bagman View Post

I just tested my iphone 3G speed on Thursday, and again today, at various spots, and found the speed of ATT's HSPA+ network has "mysteriously" increased from a steady 1.2 Mbps download/.32 Mbps upload speed to between 3 and 4.3 Mbps download/.54 to 1.2 Mbps upload speed.

How CONVENIENT for ATT to suddenly unlock the speed that has probably been there all along, so they can boast that their so-called 4G network (HSPA+ actually) can compete with Verizon's upcoming 4G LTE network.

I have seen speeds in that range on AT&T since my wife got her 3Gs in July 2009. Before that my 3G had upload speeds in the 1.0-1.2 range but it would not get more than 1.5 down.

No conspiracies at work, you must live in an area that was at the bottom of the upgrade list, or you have not tested in a while.
  • Reply 82 of 146
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bagman View Post

I just tested my iphone 3G speed on Thursday, and again today, at various spots, and found the speed of ATT's HSPA+ network has "mysteriously" increased from a steady 1.2 Mbps download/.32 Mbps upload speed to between 3 and 4.3 Mbps download/.54 to 1.2 Mbps upload speed.

How CONVENIENT for ATT to suddenly unlock the speed that has probably been there all along, so they can boast that their so-called 4G network (HSPA+ actually) can compete with Verizon's upcoming 4G LTE network.

Makes me furious that they could have done this earlier, which will no doubt come out in the news next week as a smarmy way of keeping iPhone users from defecting, or to keep new users from going to Verizon.

Both ATT and Verizon are deceptive companies who will do anything to make their bottom line - what's that you say? --- "I'm SHOCKED, SHOCKED" (with apologies to Capt Renault (Claude Rains) from Casablanca).

Sounds like a very scientific study you had commissioned. You're clearly justified in your fury.
  • Reply 83 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. No way is VZW migrating to GSM.

Verizon history:

1. Verizon has acquired assets related to GSM technology.

2. Verizon integrated into their network SIM cards which is a standard used by GSM carriers.

3. Verizon EVP and CTO Dick Lynch in June 2010 joined the GSMA board.

4. Verizon implemented LTE (4G) which is an evolution of GSM technology.
  • Reply 84 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Imagine Engine View Post

Verizon history:

2. Verizon integrated into their network SIM cards which is a standard used by GSM carriers.

Seems reasonable. Why WOULDNT Verizon invest what would have to be tens of billions of dollars just to support an old technology JUST as they are making an equally large investment to support the technology that will replace said old technology?

Back away from the keyboard, Imagine Engine.
  • Reply 85 of 146
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:

Eh? Since when?

Quote:

For their LTE rollout. Verizon is not making a GSM network.

Quote:

And, no. It's not. LTE is no more GSM than WiMAX is an "evolution" of CDMA.
  • Reply 86 of 146
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:

Verizon history:

The main area where your theory falls apart is that points 1-3 are all explained by point 4, i.e. LTE is all it takes.

Having said that, you are right about Bell and Telus. They are CDMA and have plans for LTE, yet when Rogers having exclusivity of the iPhone immediately started to hurt them, they rolled out 3G as fast as possible to get the iPhone in the interim. It could be possible for V to do the same, but I don't think it is likely.
  • Reply 87 of 146
    ded48ded48 Posts: 10member
    Why would anyone want an iPhone 4 on Verizon now instead of waiting for iPhone 5 to come out in the next 5 or 6 months? Unless, of course, there isn't going to be an iPhone 5 this year. Why would Apple release an iPhone 4 for Verizon and then release an iPhone 5 for AT&T 6 months later? That doesn't make sense to me.
  • Reply 88 of 146
    iliveriliver Posts: 299member
    Finally- the day that al the fanbots on here said would never, ever happen is finally happening.

"Apple doesn't need Verizon, etc."
  • Reply 89 of 146
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ded48 View Post

Why would anyone want an iPhone 4 on Verizon now instead of waiting for iPhone 5 to come out in the next 5 or 6 months? Unless, of course, there isn't going to be an iPhone 5 this year. Why would Apple release an iPhone 4 for Verizon and then release an iPhone 5 for AT&T 6 months later? That doesn't make sense to me.

1) People buy Apple products throughout its lifecycle, even after the new ones come out. In fact, Apple products hold their own so well that I hardly take a hit when updating every year.

2) Most people don?t care about the fastest nor do they know what the timetables are for new products. Since Apple doesn?t announce this stuff we can?t even know for sure that the iPhone 5 will be CDMA at the same time as the GSM model. Heck, we don?t even know for sure about the iPHone 4 CDMA.

3) Apple is already having trouble meeting demand. Many, including myself, said that right after the holidays would be ideal for a CDMA iPhone because the number of buyers on Verizon is so large that selling all at once would be problematic as the demand would even further outstrip supply. Add to the fact that this is a new HW from an engineering PoV (not a consumer PoV) they need to have some focus on this phone for awhile.

4) I wonder if the iPhone 5 does come out on Verizon and AT&T at the same time if the countries they sell it in on day 1 will be reduced. Last year it was 5 countries, the year before that it was 17, IIRC. This could mean even more focus on the US for the first month or a stepping model for the CDMA version.

I hope that clears it up somewhat.
  • Reply 90 of 146
    Quote:

You must be really confused every year from January to June, when exactly the same situation exists, yet people continue to buy iPhones. Probably best to just resolve yourself to the fact that what makes no sense to you is commonplace in the real world.
  • Reply 91 of 146
    bwinskibwinski Posts: 164member
    Ya know, the thing that drives me goofy about American carriers is their astounding arrogance AND the basic gutless consumer that allows clowns like AT&T (actually SBC) to "...bracing itself for the loss in iPhone exclusivity that it has seen coming for some time, working to lock existing iPhone 4 buyers into two year contracts and relying upon family and business plans that make it hard for individuals to leave the carrier."

WTF !!! "LOCK EXISTING iPhone4 customers" ??? Customers ANYWHERE ELSE on this rock we live on would tell the carrier to jam it in their A** if they tried to pull anything like that and would walk over to the carrier across the street or next door and flip the AT&T sim card on the floor as they smash it to bits with their boot heel.. Arrogant JERKS!!! STUPIDER CUSTOMERS!!! Look ANYWHERE in Europe, Asia, Africa or Australasia and there is NOTHING that the carrier would even try that looks like out arcane system.

The sooner we take back the market from the A**HAT carriers, the better off we'll be and have a LOT more choices of our toys...
  • Reply 92 of 146
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:

In Canada Bell and Telus (both CDMA carriers) both launched the iPhone in November 2009, once their network could support it. Then they got the iP4 in the summer 2010. People bought them because they wanted the iPhone then and their carriers of choice finally was selling them. The carriers didn't mind getting in mid cycle, though I am sure they'd have preceded to be ready for the 3GS launch. Shit happens.
  • Reply 93 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bwinski View Post

Ya know, the thing that drives me goofy about American carriers is their astounding arrogance AND the basic gutless consumer that allows clowns like AT&T (actually SBC) to "...bracing itself for the loss in iPhone exclusivity that it has seen coming for some time, working to lock existing iPhone 4 buyers into two year contracts and relying upon family and business plans that make it hard for individuals to leave the carrier."

WTF !!! "LOCK EXISTING iPhone4 customers" ??? Customers ANYWHERE ELSE on this rock we live on would tell the carrier to jam it in their A** if they tried to pull anything like that and would walk over to the carrier across the street or next door and flip the AT&T sim card on the floor as they smash it to bits with their boot heel.. Arrogant JERKS!!! STUPIDER CUSTOMERS!!! Look ANYWHERE in Europe, Asia, Africa or Australasia and there is NOTHING that the carrier would even try that looks like out arcane system.

The sooner we take back the market from the A**HAT carriers, the better off we'll be and have a LOT more choices of our toys...

Um, lock refers to a contract, something that is very popular with cellphones in and out of the US.
  • Reply 94 of 146
    penchantedpenchanted Posts: 1,070member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iLiver View Post

Finally- the day that al the fanbots on here said would never, ever happen is finally happening.

"Apple doesn't need Verizon, etc."

I know this is a waste of time, but why do you assume that Apple needs Verizon? If there is no Verizon branding visible on the phone, will you acknowledge that Verizon felt it needs the iPhone?
  • Reply 95 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by penchanted View Post

I know this is a waste of time, but why do you assume that Apple needs Verizon? If there is no Verizon branding visible on the phone, will you acknowledge that Verizon felt it needs the iPhone?

Good luck.
  • Reply 96 of 146
    penchantedpenchanted Posts: 1,070member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Good luck.

Yeah, I know it's a waste of time. His distasteful username says a lot even before you read some of the stuff he posts.
  • Reply 97 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Um, lock refers to a contract, something that is very popular with cellphones in and out of the US.

"LOCK" does NOT refer to a contract. "LOCK" refers to a eprom LOCK code that is done by a carrier that a phone is capable of supporting as their primary. When I bought a phone in France it was "Locked" to Orange and they gave me an "UNLOCK" so I could use that phone in the US - NOT on Orange...

Sorry... AND "locking" is EXTREMELY UN-POPULAR EVERYWHERE ON THE PLANET - even in the US.
  • Reply 98 of 146
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bwinski View Post

Sorry... AND "locking" is EXTREMELY UN-POPULAR EVERYWHERE ON THE PLANET - even in the US.

Slow down there, bucko. CDMA users have no concept of this, as our phones are only locked. It's impossible to determine popularity if you don't have exposure to both scenarios. Don't make assumptions like that.
  • Reply 99 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Slow down there, bucko. CDMA users have no concept of this, as our phones are only locked. It's impossible to determine popularity if you don't have exposure to both scenarios. Don't make assumptions like that.

Sorry, if you have a CDMA phone and never leave the US, that's fine.. Otherwise, gotta deal with reality.
  • Reply 100 of 146
    bagmanbagman Posts: 349member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AIaddict View Post

I have seen speeds in that range on AT&T since my wife got her 3Gs in July 2009. Before that my 3G had upload speeds in the 1.0-1.2 range but it would not get more than 1.5 down.

No conspiracies at work, you must live in an area that was at the bottom of the upgrade list, or you have not tested in a while.

While it may be entirely coincidental, there is enough circumstancial evidence to the contrary (at least in my observations). While someone snidely commented that this was a scientific study, I don't need anyone to point out that it is merely anecdotal, having done over 20 years of published research). However, I have measured my download and upload speeds over a hundred times since last August, in the same spot in my house. Also went out today to measure much the same speeds over the Palo Alto/Sunnyvale area of CA (over a 20 mile area). Funny how I measured it at the slower speeds on Thursday, and it coincided almost exactly with ATT announcing they were going to join the others who say their networks are 4G (which they say is really HSPA+ in their case), when in fact they are less than what many are saying is "pure 4G" (only Verizon, with 4G LTE, and Sprint, with WiMax, are considered "Pure 4G"), but no agreed upon definition is binding on any of the carriers to date, ergo the discrepancy and confusion - just the sort of confusion that has led to exaggerated claims.

I only brought it to your attention with the hopes that a few of you may have done some testing over the last few weeks or months, and would ask that they go back and try again, and see if the speed has doubled or better, as mine has.

No - there is no conspiracy as such, but marketing decisions at work here, if what I suspect has happened is bourne out, because ATT many months ago said the HSPA+ was already available (at least on the iPhone 4), and that the download speeds approach "Pure 4G" already, which they have not done near my house until this weekend - curious timing indeed.