Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

My Wife, my dog and I have 3 each...

Ha.

DaHarder will not like you for this.
  • Reply 123 of 159
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ochyming View Post

BBC and EuroNews are the most anti Apple in Europe.

Agree, BBC are notorious Apple Haters.

But I don't know why ? My only theory is that M$ pays them to do so.
  • Reply 124 of 159
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tundraboy View Post

When I first saw 22% I thought 22% my ass. I should be seeing one Samsung in the wild for every 4 iPads but I ain't seeing it. I haven't even seen one Samsung, period.

Perfect observation.

However, believe it or not I saw someone with a 7 incher this morning.

Couldn't tell by the brand, but did not look like the galaxy tab.

I too, have seen heaps of iPads, but no other tablets, maybe the 22% are off hiding in some caves.

22% utter bullshit.

If this is crap, same goes with their phones and android phones in general.

I have been bleating about this for ages.

One knows how many Apple SOLD, but no one knows how many android phones were SOLD ?

So all this about market share, one can take with a grain of salt, unless its Apple.
  • Reply 125 of 159
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Alfiejr View Post

ah, a gigantic feast of crow is being served on the internets today. preceeded by a first course of egg on the face. and topped off with a heaping bowl of claim chowder.

do you think all the bloggers, pundits, and "analysts" will finally learn the difference between "shipped" and "sold" once and for all this time??

NEVER !

When it comes to anything anti-Apple, the laws of physics are no longer valid.
  • Reply 126 of 159
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

This is precisely what the phandroids refuse to acknowledge. They will praise all the high-end hardware, but always gloss over the horrible gui experience in the name of "openness".

This is why (imho) the OS is as important - if not more - than the hardware. Sticking a turbocharged V8 into a Volkswagon bug is not the same thing as that same motor in a Rolls Royce.

I'm a systems-engineer and been developing software for 20+ years. I find it absolutely shameful that people try to pass of badly written software in the name of some "higher calling". It's a curiosity just for tech-heads, nerds, and geeks that continuously believe that every user should be certified in computer science in order to use computers.

Excellent post, my thoughts entirely.

I am a computer programmer (refuse to use the term software developer/engineer), and my philosophy is to write the best code that I can. Elegant, super maintainable, bug-free as possible, and simplicity. The UI is what is important, sometime the only thing, if it is crap, no matter what else you do to try and hide it, it will always rear it's ugly head.

I NEVER want to root, jail-break or spend countless hours playing around with the settings on my phone, the same way that I don't want to play with my Mercedes.

I want something that is elegant, cool, works perfectly all the time, gives me a great experience and is fun and easy to use. That is why I buy Apple exclusively and will never buy junk.
  • Reply 127 of 159
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by womble2k2 View Post

Judging by how many of these devices are on ebay (in the UK at least) at below retail pricing, suggests that many people have bought these (or got them as xmas presents) and are disappointed with them.

To be fair, it is difficult for Samsung to state exact sales as they follow the standard manufacturer -> wholesale -> retail route whereas Apple has direct relationships with all retailers and also picks up activation stats via iTunes.

The other angle is that it is currently Apple versus all others, and there is no consistency with the all others. Some of the others are Windoze 7 based whilst others are Android 2.x and some (coming soon) ones will be Android 3.0.

The Android ones (and to some extend Windoze ones) have some level of UI tweaking done by the manufacturers and there is no way of knowing whether the Apps in the various stores will actually work with these devices.

However, there are some silver linings in all of this, as some of the competition (I'm likely to get flamed at this point), do have some good points which Apple may view and come up with their interpretations.

For example, the App switching / multi-tasking on some is more slick than iOS, and more UI customisations to make things how you want.

We know that iPad 2 will bring new hardware features, but the big unanswered question is; where is iOS going, especially with 5.x.

I hope for;

1. Being able to slightly resize and adjust spacing of app icons (especially on iPad) to allow for more icons per screen.

2. Double clicking the home button to get the App switching brings up a folders type display but with scrolling so that you can see more background apps at the same time.

3. Background apps to have some processor cycles (maybe 2%) allocated to them whilst in background so that they don't take as long to wake. Once the App Switcher is activated, this percentage could increase to say 15%.

4. A simple and quick way to switch the various radios (Wireless, 3G, Bluetooth) on and off as required, and to adjust brightness / volume.

5. Better alerts and notifications.

Phil

Some good and valid points, I'm sure iOS will evolve and get better and better.

We can all learn from others, so Apple will cherry pick and then do them better, like they always do.
  • Reply 128 of 159
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jeffharris View Post

This is the same bullshit that was flung at the Mac for years.... mice, no command-line = toy!

It's the same attitude I saw for years as a MiniCAD/Vectorworks user coming from AutoCAD users....

If a thing isn't hard, it's not valid. If it's in any way pleasurable, It's not valid.

One must suffer to call something real work. Anything else is a joke.

The joke goes the other way.

Beautiful !

I am a computer programmer and my partner used AutoCad (she is an Architect).

I NEVER want to play with my phone, I have much better ways to spend my time, that is why we bought iPhones. I want my computers to work all the time, that is why we bought Macs.

My children wanted the iPad, so we bought one. My wife's relatives in Russia saw her iPad when she visited, they bought it off her, and asked us to send another one over (this was about 6 months ago). These are PC users, initial reaction to the iPad was one of curiosity, then playing with it, then begging to borrow it so they could use it in bed for reading and surfing.

The male relative sneered at it, "its just a toy" (man I wish I had a dollar every time I heard this), its too easy to use, computers have to be complicated and serious, no way will I use this.

He later asked us to ship him a 3G 64GB iPad to Russia. I think I have said enough.

By the way, AutoCad is the biggest pile of crap ever written, it is so hard to use, this means it is bad software. All software must be easy to use, otherwise, simply throw it out. This is not how to code !
  • Reply 129 of 159
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sprockkets View Post

Well he hasn't spun I mean commented yet on the whole 33 million android vs. 16 million sales of iOS yet

Yep, shipped vs sold. Just like the galaxy tab, one big lie.

With Apple, no one can dispute their sales, can you mister ?

What about the adironnaks phones, how many were actually sold ? Really how many ?

My guess you think its 33 million, if so, then you also believe that 2 million tabs were sold, doesn't matter its all a big lie and samsung have been caught out big time, they are wrong but you are right right ?

Man do you fandroids never give up ?

Its like flies in the Australian summer, wave your hands around, but they never leave you alone, just put on Earth to annoy you.
  • Reply 130 of 159
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Yeah, well he may be an idiot and borderline illiterate, but apparently he's fairly wealthy. He also owns several iPads by his account and probably will buy a RIM playbook and a Motorola tablet when they come out too.

It's probably half his problem. He doesn't have to think about what to buy or if he can afford it. He just rushes out and buys the latest whatever and then spouts off about it here. He's seeking validation of himself through his purchases which probably means he used to be poor or grew up poor, or something similar.

It's the equivalent of buying the latest new car each year but taking it down to the local mall to wash it so everyone can see that you own it and admire you.

Lol ! You are so mean to him/her.

Yeah where is he/she lately ?

I tried to be his/her friend, but my invitation was not taken up.

DaHarder please come back, we all miss you. You are so much funnier than Sprockets and/or Firefly, who knows maybe you are all one and the same ?
  • Reply 131 of 159
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Firefly7475 View Post

I commented on an older Dilger article where I pointed out he basically made up information to fit the article.

You told me that AI writers don't make anything up, and that it is simply the writers opinion coming through in the article.

I responded that it is confusing for readers as it is essentially impossible to tell what is factual news and what is opinion when it's all presented in the same feed.

Do you see how it can be confusing now?

One question. Was it Dilger that updated the article by Josh Ong with:

Update: Samsung has admitted that its "sales" figures for Galaxy Tab are actually inventory channel stuffing and do not represent real sales to consumers.?

If so, are the other writers OK with this?

Yep, I am
  • Reply 132 of 159
    Quote:

A troll isn't someone that you don't agree with, or even someone in an Apple forum that doesn't worship everything Apple. DaHarder doesn't post to intentionally provoke or annoy people. He just loves Android.

Ironically your own post is closer to being defined as trolling.

In any case if you're actually interested (and you're not just being a jackass) why don't you just ask him? You might even want to be his friend?

No DaHarder is a recluse and has no need for friends, I know because I begged him to be mine.

By the way can you find the definitive description of trolling ? Not your warped opinionated version.

He does post to annoy people, are you insane ?
  • Reply 133 of 159
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by White Rabbit View Post

By the way can you find the definitive description of trolling ? Not your warped opinionated version.

Someone that posts to intentionally antagonise and annoy other readers. Certainly not just someone that you disagree with.

According to addabox, DaHarder acts like a jackass on Engadget, which could very well be the case (I've never read him on Engadget). However, here I've always found him to be relatively civil.

I don't often agree with him, but it's interesting to read reasonable opinions from a die hard Android fanboy that has actually used a lot of Apple products as well.

I certainly find his posts far more productive to read than your own post floods where you seem to struggle to go a day without insulting someone, calling people idiots or wankers or making some smug attempt at humour.

There is a very good reason the mods picked you up on your behaviour, and it's not because you're unlucky.
  • Reply 134 of 159
    So what I get from the thread is basically that Samsung tried to spin all the media into accepting the factoid that they had sold "2 million", and now that they retract, it's all Daniel Eran Dilger's fault.

Oh and that DaHarder's 9 galaxy tabs are still a source of amusement.
  • Reply 135 of 159
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dridgisuali View Post

hi there i am new to this bbs, but possibly you can help me with a complication i'm seeing. i have w7 x64 and chrome. my error is that last time when i try to reply to a topic, my browser hangs? someone knows what this is ? any help would be much appreciated!

Curious. I have no problems with chrome. Same machine.
  • Reply 136 of 159
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LuisDias View Post

So what I get from the thread is basically that Samsung tried to spin all the media into accepting the factoid that they had sold "2 million", and now that they retract

Well... no, not exactly.

A market research firm, Strategy Analytics, came out with a report (I'm not sure when, 2011-01-31 I think) that Android had taken 22% of the Q4 tablet market share.

Bloomberg then picked up on the story on 2011-01-31. The story was reposted on AI on the same day.

Other sites like Business Insider and The Wall Street Journal picked up the story from a different angle using data from Samsung's earnings call where they confirmed the "2 million" was shipped to stores (sell-in), not to customers (sell-through) and that the Galaxy Tab sales were actually "quite small".

Now it gets funky. Neither Strategy Analytics nor Bloomberg are affiliated with Samsung and the Samsung earning call where they stated the 2 million "sell in" number was three days before the Bloomberg story.

It's obviously impossible for Samsung to retract spin on a story they weren't involved in three days before the story was written.

Here is the funniest part. The original AI article received the update "Update: Samsung has admitted that its "sales" figures for Galaxy Tab are actually inventory channel stuffing and do not represent real sales to consumers" when Dilger posted his own follow up article.

This is the first time to my recollection an AI article has received an update. Not that I think updates are bad, I love to see articles updated when new information comes to light... however it's notable that after the correction has come through that the Samsung exec didn't even say sales were "quite small" but actually said "quite smooth" that Dilger's article remains unedited!
  • Reply 137 of 159
    dsectdsect Posts: 25member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

DED is absolutely brilliant on this one. First AI gets the trolls all lathered up with the early morning article about how Android tablets are kicking the iPad's behind. The trolls are ecstatic believing that the iPad "killer" has arrived. All is lost for "closed" Apple. Then, this afternoon, DED drops a bomb on the trolls. The iPad "killer" is actually a big pile of "caca de toro".

Brilliant Dan, simply brilliant!

I agree 100%. Brilliant Dan. Keep up the good work!
  • Reply 138 of 159
    d-ranged-range Posts: 396member
    Quote:

According to addabox, DaHarder acts like a jackass on Engadget, which could very well be the case (I've never read him on Engadget). However, here I've always found him to be relatively civil.

I don't often agree with him, but it's interesting to read reasonable opinions from a die hard Android fanboy that has actually used a lot of Apple products as well.

DaHarder is borderline troll on Engadget, that's true, but I have to admit he's nowhere as annoying as some of the other trolls that are infamous there, like the stupid Mike the cat guy who really gets on my nerves with everything he writes. I actually find DaHarder's contributions mildly tolerable, and as far as trolls go, he's kind of a cute troll (in a purely heterosexual, and just in what he writes kind of way of course ). But he's not objective at all and he also spreads a lot of FUD around there.
  • Reply 139 of 159
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by d-range View Post

DaHarder is borderline troll on Engadget, that's true, but I have to admit he's nowhere as annoying as some of the other trolls that are infamous there, like the stupid Mike the cat guy who really gets on my nerves with everything he writes. I actually find DaHarder's contributions mildly tolerable, and as far as trolls go, he's kind of a cute troll (in a purely heterosexual, and just in what he writes kind of way of course ). But he's not objective at all and he also spreads a lot of FUD around there.

LOL I have never noticed this Mike the Cat guy. Funny how different posters grade us differently. DaHarder I consider a troll. Not because I disagree with him (I've disagreed with every poster on this forum whose opinion I respect, including yours on this matter) or that he doesn't even try to be objective (we all suffer from subjectivity, but the more rational posters at least attempt to see the bigger picture), but because, IMO, he antagonizing people and then when they push back he cries foul. I'm not a fan of passive-aggressiveness or double-standards.
  • Reply 140 of 159
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:

A troll isn't someone that you don't agree with, or even someone in an Apple forum that doesn't worship everything Apple. DaHarder doesn't post to intentionally provoke or annoy people. He just loves Android. ...

Have you actually read DaHarder's posts? He certainly does post intentionally provocative bullshit to annoy people. If his behavior weren't so overtly trollish, I'd think he was a shill, but, most likely he just has no idea what he's talking about and no taste, and enjoys annoying people. His behavior is classic troll, of a certain sort.