Varying accounts report modest lines for Apple's Verizon iPhone 4

Comments

• Reply 21 of 104
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Logisticaldron View Post

I'm sure there is something to that as those that really wanted the iPhobe went to AT&T, bur we need to consider that Verizon isn't offering an early upgrade like AT&T does.

I agree with your point, but I wanted to say that your typo is a great shorthand description of an

Apple-hater: the iPhobe.
  • Reply 22 of 104
    Still pretty good considering it's not really a new phone and it came out 8 months ago. You don't see any lines for new Android phones or any other phone.
  • Reply 23 of 104
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I 'couldn't care less' about AT&T or Verizon stock, I just want AAPL stock to hit 400 soon. Then, I am biased and admit it

So close to $360 at this moment I can taste it!

Really? I thought any stock that makes money would be something to care about.
  • Reply 24 of 104
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by juandl View Post

I bet the month will not go by before Apple announces that iPhone 5 will not be coming on the normal date.

You can be sure that it would be unacceptable to Verizon if ATT would get their version a few months before them. And Apple would surely not make a new Verizon model that would only sell for a few months.

Other than the people screaming for it to come on the anniversary as always.

Apple has time. No competitors will outdo them in 6 or 8 months time.

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles..._baseband.html

There is no technical reason to delay iPhone5.

I believe Apple has been planning iPhone5 for both carriers since at least mid 2010, if not a lot sooner.
  • Reply 25 of 104
    If reports that they have already sold 1M online are true, this is insignificant. Hardcore fans already all have it.
  • Reply 26 of 104
    it's really pathetic how hard people try to find an angle where they can disparage the iPhone. Has it not proven itself enough yet?
  • Reply 27 of 104
    Just curious. What new feature is the iPhone 5 supposed to have that is worth waiting for? The display has more resolution then humans can perceive.

Is it 1080P video? Better camera? More storage?

Apple is pretty good at reinventing the wheel every now and again, but what hot new feature is rumored to be forthcoming that is worth holding out for?

I'm getting the viPhone 4 right now because it has one terrific new feature. The ability to make phone calls.
  • Reply 28 of 104
    Apple has never launched an iphone in the middle of the winter, I might add the coldest and snowiest one we have had in a decade.

Smart people like me bought it on line.

and waited on no line!

haha theres a thought for you all!
  • Reply 29 of 104
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wovel View Post

It is patheti-sad for android how much longer these lines are than any device launched.

I think it's pathetic for anyone to wait in line for the launch of any electronics device.
  • Reply 30 of 104
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wovel View Post

It is funny because in-store sales and total sales will be several times any Android phone launch. The iPhone 4 is over 7 months old, and people call that laughable. It is laughable, but no tin the way they intend.

It is patheti-sad for android how much longer these lines are than any device launched.

You might have a point if the iPhone 4 wasn't Apple's only phone. How many models of Android phones are on the market? The only meaningful comparison is how many iOS phones are sold compared to Android phones.

Unless things pick up a lot today, Apple and Verizon can only view what's being reported as a failure. Both companies will try to spin it otherwise, but they must be very disappointed at what seems to be a lackluster event.

Time to ditch Apple stock folks. The boom times are coming to a close. If you believe otherwise, I just hope you're not risking your retirement or you kids college education on it.
  • Reply 31 of 104
    An underreported part of the story would be the demand from areas that currently do not have AT&T service (i.e., the Dakotas, Montana, and Wyoming).

Rather predictable that some in the tech press are already spinning it as a failed launch because the lines are shorter than last year, when the iPhone 4 was actually a brand new product. Of course, these are probably some of the same hacks who were calling the iPad a failure at launch.

I suspect that a lot of the existing Verizon customers already pre-ordered, which leaves new customers and disgruntled AT&T users to line up at stores. And I think that latter group is a lot smaller than most tech writers think. With so much of the tech press based out of NY and SF, two of AT&T's worst coverage areas, they're presuming that their own anecdotal observations must apply to everybody else.

Of course, this kind of myopic projection by a bunch of jaded techies is nothing new. To them, everything is either hyped as the second coming, or derided as obsolete. Drawing broad market conclusions based on a handful of reports about 7am lineups is all too indicative of the depth (or lack thereof) of their analysis.

Apple will do just fine. Last year, the first day sales for the iPhone 4 (including pre-orders) totaled 1.5 million. They sold about 45 million iPhones the rest of the year. I suspect that Verizon will trend similarly, with a spike in sales at the intro and steady sales throughout the rest of the year.

iPhones will get picked up as existing Verizon users' contracts expire. These are the customers that currently use Blackberrys (two years ago, BBs made up 95% of Verizon's smartphone sales). Over the past year, they were trading their Blackberrys in for Android phones. Now, they'll have another option, and that's where Apple's iPhone pickups will occur. Yes, Verizon will get some defections from AT&T, but as I said, I don't think it will be as many as the NY and SF-based writers and analysts think.
  • Reply 32 of 104
    This is really simple folks...

1) Verizon has already had 2 online launches before this.

2) Sales are spread between Apple/Verizon/Best Buy/Walmart

3) The hardcore Apple fans are probably on ATT already

4) People found out about this 1 month ago. They are still waiting to get done with their 2 year contracts to upgrade (even the original iPhone had a 6 month warning, so folks whose contracts were ending in the 6 months preceding the launch could wait for it. For the iPhone 4, ATT allowed some folks to upgrade early, allowing people who once again, fell into a 6 month window to upgrade...besides, people knew the iPhone 4 was coming out then).

5) Most are waiting for iPhone 5.

6) 1 month after the holiday season is not really the best time to release a product. Most have just got done spending significant sums of money, and are likely to scale back a bit.
  • Reply 33 of 104
    I got the original Droid on release day at 7am and the line had like 30 people in it at least. I never would have imagined an apple launch would get less turnout than an android launch, for any reason.

yeah I know thats just one store, but Pittsburgh vs New York? come on.
  • Reply 34 of 104
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jerseymac View Post

Just curious. What new feature is the iPhone 5 supposed to have that is worth waiting for? ...

Near field communication capability.

The current iPhone is a great phone, no doubt, but I suspect that the iPhone 5 will be even better and you might regret not waiting for it. Then again if you get a lot of dropped calls, its hard to wait.
  • Reply 35 of 104
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jerseymac View Post

Really? I thought any stock that makes money would be something to care about.

I only quoted myself to be clear that I meant 'didn't care' (I couldn't care less = don't care) about AT&T and Verizon.

http://incompetech.com/gallimaufry/care_less.html
  • Reply 36 of 104
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addicted44 View Post

This is really simple folks...

1) Verizon has already had 2 online launches before this.

2) Sales are spread between Apple/Verizon/Best Buy/Walmart

3) The hardcore Apple fans are probably on ATT already

4) People found out about this 1 month ago. They are still waiting to get done with their 2 year contracts to upgrade (even the original iPhone had a 6 month warning, so folks whose contracts were ending in the 6 months preceding the launch could wait for it. For the iPhone 4, ATT allowed some folks to upgrade early, allowing people who once again, fell into a 6 month window to upgrade...besides, people knew the iPhone 4 was coming out then).

5) Most are waiting for iPhone 5.

6) 1 month after the holiday season is not really the best time to release a product. Most have just got done spending significant sums of money, and are likely to scale back a bit.

Exactly. IMHO, this is the way to do a launch...
  • Reply 37 of 104
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Do we have some vested interest in how many people line up in front of a Verizon store? Apple is doomed because the lines are shorter than anticipated? I'm sure the hater/trolls are sharpening their schadenfreude drenched claws to declare the Verizon iPhone launch an EPIC FAIL. But what does it really mean other than the numerous possibilities hinted at by others. Instant surveys seem to indicate that RIM, not at&t, is taking the hits right now.
  • Reply 38 of 104
    Or could it be that they are rolling it out to their current customers first and that there are limited supplies and maybe Verzions customers know that.

So maybe, they are smart and not waiting in line for a product that is not available.

Just saying.
  • Reply 39 of 104
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdg1019 View Post

Unless things pick up a lot today, Apple and Verizon can only view what's being reported as a failure. Both companies will try to spin it otherwise, but they must be very disappointed at what seems to be a lackluster event.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha

What a lame attempt at trolling.

You are aware that today wasn't "an event" at all? Something that doesn't exist can't fail. Except perhaps in the eyes of haters like you.
  • Reply 40 of 104
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MATTpgh View Post

I got the original Droid on release day at 7am and the line had like 30 people in it at least. I never would have imagined an apple launch would get less turnout than an android launch, for any reason.

yeah I know thats just one store, but Pittsburgh vs New York? come on.

Wait 'til the iPhone 5 comes out. Then you'll have a truer apples to apples/droids comparison. Most people willing to line up to purchase an iPhone 4 already have one.