Varying accounts report modest lines for Apple's Verizon iPhone 4

Comments

• Reply 41 of 104
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    It will be interesting to see what kind of price break Verizon will give us iPhone 4 AT&T users who want to upgrade one year early to iPhone 5 and switch to VZ. I might do it if the price is right. I want better voice clarity.
  • Reply 42 of 104
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jerseymac View Post

Just curious. What new feature is the iPhone 5 supposed to have that is worth waiting for? The display has more resolution then humans can perceive.

Is it 1080P video? Better camera? More storage?

Apple is pretty good at reinventing the wheel every now and again, but what hot new feature is rumored to be forthcoming that is worth holding out for?

I'm getting the viPhone 4 right now because it has one terrific new feature. The ability to make phone calls.

you're forgetting integrated NFC. it will be huge, with iPhone payments as well as leveraging apples ecosystem by facilitating social and productive interactions between apple products and other apple users. also, I suspect there will be some significant software updates this time around, which, to non techies, will be equated with the iPhone 5.

as for the lines, it would have been nice to see some, but with apple stores, verizon stores, best buy, and walmart, there are thousands of opportunities to buy one, and not much fear that you won't get one if you wait till you get off work.
  • Reply 43 of 104
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdg1019 View Post

Unless things pick up a lot today, Apple and Verizon can only view what's being reported as a failure. Both companies will try to spin it otherwise, but they must be very disappointed at what seems to be a lackluster event.

Time to ditch Apple stock folks. The boom times are coming to a close. If you believe otherwise, I just hope you're not risking your retirement or you kids college education on it.

LOL. Looks like many people still don't understand what's really going on. My son and I have owned a DROID 1 since the day it came out. While it hasn't been a "bad" phone it leaves a lot to be desired. We have always considered our Droids to be temporary until the Verizon iPhone arrived. Day 1 on the Droid was November 6th, 2009. We can't upgrade until July 2011 without additional costs. Only at that point will we get the iPhone.

The Android platform is a MESS. Fragmentation everywhere. Just go look at the repeated updates for the apps. One that comes to mind is craigslist notifications. The app is constantly being updated to fix something that doesn't work on some different phone. Google Finance crashes countless times a day. I have missed many a turn because Google maps freezes for unreasonable lengths of time. Android is a joke. It will never perform adequately simply because of the fragmentation.

Poor software performance is a prime reason why the Windows 7 phone is falling on it's face. I have had enough microsoft problems to last a lifetime. I really don't care what microsoft introduces for a product, I no longer what anything from them. I suspect many others feel the same way. After years of windows CRAP I bought an iMac and have never looked back. Now have the iMac, ipod shuffle, ipod nano, ipod touch, and macbook pro. The tightly integrated software/hardware that Apple produces is just to good to give up.

We have had AT&T (formerly SBC communications). SBC was horrible in every way shape and form but the area they are the worst in is how they treat their customers. Changing the name of the company changed nothing in terms of customer service. Funny how AT&T wireless is introducing all these things to entice customers into staying. Secret unlimited data plans, secret microcells, unlimited wireless to wireless. Wonder why this is happening?

Many people have already purchased or preordered phones online. Measuring lines at the stores today is really meaningless. Just watch and see how this baby unfolds over the next year as contracts expire..... You'll be surprised how irrelevant today's measurement was.

By the way my kids college funds and my retirement funds are heavily invested in Verizon (most), Apple (middle), and AT&T (least). AT&T was bought mostly for the dividend but the stock has not shown any significant appreciation in a year while Verizon and Apple have combined for SIZEABLE gains. "T" is the first stock I am going to dump and it is going to be real soon. Today's price jump is the result of knee jerk traders who are clueless. Like I said just sit back and watch this develop over the next year. It's going to be a blast!
  • Reply 44 of 104
    @addicted44

Totally agree. Thanks for noting Walmart and Best Buy...lots of choices out there.
  • Reply 45 of 104
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jerseymac View Post

Just curious. What new feature is the iPhone 5 supposed to have that is worth waiting for? The display has more resolution then humans can perceive.

Is it 1080P video? Better camera? More storage?

Apple is pretty good at reinventing the wheel every now and again, but what hot new feature is rumored to be forthcoming that is worth holding out for?

I'm getting the viPhone 4 right now because it has one terrific new feature. The ability to make phone calls.

May not be revolutionary changes in iPhone 5, as you intimate: perhaps:

1. Faster processor

2. More ram (goes with 1. above, of course)

2. Higher res camera & video (since they are clearly interested in better imagery in still and video capabilities

3. Near field capabilities (but will want to wait until security issues are resolved, so Apple may not be interested at this time, since they rarely move into untested technologies

4. Better antenna - but Consumer Reports is likely to place a pox on both houses, and say they can find no difference so far. However, they will not have a GSM phone with the new design antenna to test, so their testing will be moot (some say they are moot, and always have been)

Anyhow, can't think of anything else that Apple is likely to do in iPhone 5 upgrade, which may or may not make a big enough difference to cause someone to immediately upgrade from iPhone 4, but a lot of folks (like me) upgrade, and HAND ME DOWN the current iPhone to family members, which brings others into the fold, causing immediate App and itunes purchases, and may cause family members to switch from all those RIM and Android "feature phones" to a REAL Smartphone.
  • Reply 46 of 104
    Thats funny. I have one month left before I can get a new phone and I asked if they would let me get the iPhone early. They told me that they could not do that because its the iPhone and they expect it to sell out. Maybe they will do it now.
  • Reply 47 of 104
    The Wall Street Journal noted they were much longer in other locations. For example, about 40 people were outside of a Verizon Wireless store in Hoboken, N.J.

40 People? Now that is a much looooonger line
  • Reply 48 of 104
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    There is still a line for a device at the end of it's lifecycle. That says something. I think lines were about as big for nexus s.
  • Reply 49 of 104
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Maybe a different psychological profile in these buyers. Not Apple fans per se so less inclined to line up at a launch event. I guess most are buying on line.

Maaaaaaaybe.

Theyve already demonstrated the patience to wait 3+ years for an iPhone. Most people like that are smart/patient enough to wait another week.
  • Reply 50 of 104
    [redacted] responded to the wrong post - apologies.
  • Reply 51 of 104
    Make DED right these posts that try to cover up negative Apple news. He spins better than you do and he needs the theropy.
  • Reply 52 of 104
    For those who think that the small lines today are a disappointment of "failure", I'd be careful not to read too much into todays turnout.

Todays sales are a rough gauge for the number of disgruntled ATT iPhone users. So todays events are "good" news for them not necessarily "bad" news for Apple. Even still there may be many ATT customers who will switch to VZ once their ATT contract is up. I'm in that category.

The VZ pre-order sales were supposedly very strong so I doubt Apple will consider today a failure of any sorts.
  • Reply 53 of 104
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bettieblue View Post

Make DED right these posts that try to cover up negative Apple news. He spins better than you do and he needs the theropy.

Go do your English homework, your grammar sucks.
  • Reply 54 of 104
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Lines of customers looking to buy Apple's new Verizon iPhone 4 were contrastingly profiled as either noteworthy or "laughably short," but a smattering of anecdotal reports largely suggest smaller crowds than for the debut of the iPhone 4 last year.

It's pretty obvious that the ability to buy the iPhone at, like, ten times as many locations will impact the formation of lines. Any numbers on the average line length? If the average line today is 20, then with one tenth the number of locations the average line would have been 200.

Sadly, this suggests the party atmosphere back in the day when practically all iDevices were sold through Apple stores has probably gone forever.
  • Reply 55 of 104
    Ahh..yet another Apple FAILURE!

Compared to all the hype over the iPhone launch..this was dismal. Poor Apple fans.

No one cares about your terrible/overpriced product. You all put a great spin on this. But let's get something straight:

The real reason why there were not lines? No body cares, we are happy with our droids.

Please don't compare the launch of ONE iphone with possibly HUNDREDS of Android devices. If there were ONE Android device sold on ONE network tomorrow. Better believe I would be lining up. and I wouldn't be alone.

Enjoy your misery
  • Reply 56 of 104
    No surprise to me that this mini-launch doesn't have the same dynamics as the original launch. The phone will sell all that was predicted, but over a more relaxed curve.
  • Reply 57 of 104
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Android4ever View Post

Ahh..yet another Apple FAILURE!

Compared to all the hype over the iPhone launch..this was dismal. Poor Apple fans.

No one cares about your terrible/overpriced product. You all put a great spin on this. But let's get something straight:

The real reason why there were not lines? No body cares, we are happy with our droids.

Please don't compare the launch of ONE iphone with possibly HUNDREDS of Android devices. If there were ONE Android device sold on ONE network tomorrow. Better believe I would be lining up. and I wouldn't be alone.

Enjoy your misery

The troll envy in this one is very strong.
  • Reply 58 of 104
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NextTechnocrati View Post

The consensus I'm getting from the Verizon customers that I know is they will wait for the iPhone 5 because there is no clear upgrade path from iPhone4 to iPhone5. And according to them, the fact that Verizon now has the iPhone, the thought of renewing for an Android phone is no longer a consideration.

And we know for a FACT that the iPhone 5 release later this summer, will in fact, be both for AT&T and Verizon? I missed that news release from Apple...

I'm not discounting it... But I would like to know:

Will there be one iPhone model manufactured or will the current two versions of iPhone still need to be produced. Wasn't the Verizon iPhone slightly modified regarding the outer band antenna and the buttons had to be moved slightly?

And if two versions still need to be produced, why the update in such a short period of time versus unifying things next year especially, with the carriers moving to LTE and how that might alter the next iPhone design update?

Inquiring minds want to know?

I really don't see a new Verizon iPhone happening just 4 short months from the initial release. I could be wrong but I thought Apple would have learned their lesson from the original iPhone release in 2007 when they lowered the price several hundred dollars just two months after the initial release and then had all those angry early adopters. Does Apple or Verizon for that matter want to deal with a million plus early adopters angry that the phone they just purchased a few months earlier didn't have a year's life span before being EOL'ed?

I don't knowwwww!.....

/

/

/
  • Reply 59 of 104
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member
    Wasn't the iPhone 4/ATT available on day 1 only at Apple stores? could not get them anywhere else - and what about pre-order - how much of that did they allow?

In other words - if say for example the iPhone 4/Verizon is available at twice as many locations then lines half as long at each location might be expected.
  • Reply 60 of 104
    It's all in the timing. People's attention is fixed on Egypt and shirtless Congressmen.