Apple's iPad "running far ahead" in enterprise adoption

2456

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post


    It'll be interesting to see if Apple sells 33 million iPads that the stock will go all the way up to $450. Apple will probably have to double iPhone sales numbers to assure that figure. Apple is going to really have to impress Wall Street to keep shares moving up. I hope Apple can continue to sell its notebook line and that will help quite a bit. Apple can't afford to miss any numbers as high as expectations are. The iPad seems to have a price advantage over both the Xoom and TouchPad, so maybe Apple won't have as much competition as some analysts say it will.



    As Tim Cook has stated: so much of the success surrounds the manufacturing.



    As an investor, I'm hoping Apple has secured components and is producing iPad 2 at an astonishing rate.



    I don't think 33 million would be enough for 2011 but we'll see!
  • Reply 22 of 107
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 31,463member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jivemaster View Post


    It's a shame the practicality isn't there as far as openness is concerned. I use my ipad to read the news and make the odd note here and there, but anything further than remote access apps, it's too locked down to be overly useful. Once competing tablets are released, the ecosystem as a whole will push forward and hopefully the ipad will get more useful.



    The whole enterprise adoption thing is really because there is nothing else in the market at the moment. With practically only one choice in tablets available, its obvious the ipad would be on top. Once honeycomb hits it's game on.



    I have no idea of what you're talking about. You don't have an iTunes account? You have no way of getting the over 67,000 apps that are directly iPad compatible? Or any of the vast amount of hardware that works with it?



    Honeycomb won't make much of an impact in business, that's for sure. CUO,s of large corporations were polled about tablets a short while ago. Of the CIO's who said they were going to buy tablets for their companies (a very high percentage, about 80%), 78% said they were buying iPads, 9% said Playbooks, 2% said Windows tablets, and too small a percentage to note said Android. And yes, they knew about Honeycomb.



    You don't really have an iPad, do you?
  • Reply 23 of 107
    veblenveblen Posts: 201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bullhead View Post


    How do enterprises manage iPads? Install applications, OS updates, etc...? Does OSX Server have built in management capabilities?



    Here's a link to the Enterprise Deployment Guide



    http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/...ment_Guide.pdf
  • Reply 24 of 107
    shobizshobiz Posts: 207member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by veblen View Post


    Can't you configure the ipads with the over the air profile delivery before you deploy them to the users?



    http://developer.apple.com/library/i...roduction.html



    I'm planning on setting a fairly low expiration date on the profile (something like a week) so that I'll have a regular profile update schedule without interacting with the user.



    Yes you can, however you are still at the users mercy to agree to install the profile. Again that may not be an issue for some, but some companies like to know that a configuration is set regardless of whether the users desires to follow instructions or not. We all know users always do what they are told and follow instructions right



    One of the projects I was involved in was for about xxxxx (We'll just say thousands) of iPads and one of the requirements was that the device worked out of the box for the users so we could not leave it up to the user to apply the configuration. The config including all apps, settings backgrounds and activation had to already be completed. All of this with ZERO additional infrastructure such as a MDM.
  • Reply 25 of 107
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 31,463member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Boogerman2000 View Post


    Exactly. Had to jailbreak my ipad to squeeze out some much needed added functionality. Great device but not yet suited as a fully functioning enterprise solution. Honeycomb looks great so far.. Touchpad looks promising but have reservations w/ HP...









    Your right! He's a TROLL!! He made a great point, a well stated opposing view. He's such a phandroid troll. OMG



    He actually is a troll, and he didn't make a great point. Neither did you. Care to tell us exactly what was so important to you that you HAD to jailbreak it? It seems that the millions that have already been bought by big businesses such as financial, technology, medical, government, and others don't seem to think they HAVE to jailbreak them to get the functionality they require. Are you guys so sophisticated that your needs are so far above those?
  • Reply 26 of 107
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 31,463member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bullhead View Post


    How do enterprises manage iPads? Install applications, OS updates, etc...? Does OSX Server have built in management capabilities?



    Apple has management capabilities as far as internal app distribution and such that we don't see. In addition the same companies that do management software for Windows, Linux, and OS X have come into the iOS market as well. This isn't a big issue. For those who need this, they know where to get it, and most is available in the iTunes store, if you know where to look.
  • Reply 27 of 107
    Question:

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bullhead View Post


    How do enterprises manage iPads? Install applications, OS updates, etc...? Does OSX Server have built in management capabilities?





    Answer:

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by veblen View Post


    Here's a link to the Enterprise Deployment Guide



    http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/...ment_Guide.pdf



    crickets chirping...



    isnt that what the whole article was about? basically saying apple's listening to their customers many of which are Business professionals and deploying enterprise management capabilities.
  • Reply 28 of 107
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 31,463member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SHOBIZ View Post


    OS X server is not going to manage iPhone/iPads. We are not getting much help from apple for enterprise deployments. Having to create our own methods and procedures.



    You can manage many settings such as disabling the camera as was previously mentioned by using a config file created with the iPhone config utility or a MDM if you spend the money for that 3rd party solution. How do you get config files onto each device if you have tens of thousands? Email it and trust the user to install it? That's not a enterprise solution. MDMs for iDevices are also not exactly even near mature still after several years. Enterprises may be deploying iPads, but they are not managing them. Some might say "So". Well companies have policy's and liabilities to worry about that consumers do not have any concern with.

    Then you have enterprise signed apps vs app store apps and how to get those onto each device without being at the users mercy to do it since app store apps will not have a provisioning file and apple will not allow the developer to take the app store app and enterprise sign it for you.

    We've managed to get through most of our issues, but I can't post our solutions that were created.



    If there is some type of users group (Not a sales pitch group) in the north Dallas area I would probably be interested in meeting those folks and sharing ideas, concepts and discussing the challenges and their possible solutions.



    As you should know, it's been some time since Apple made available the ability for corporations to distribute their own software to employees internally, without going through iTunes. I can't give details on this as I'm retired, and no longer have to think about it. But if you go to Apple's site, you will find the info there.
  • Reply 29 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post


    He actually is a troll, and he didn't make a great point. Neither did you. Care to tell us exactly what was so important to you that you HAD to jailbreak it? It seems that the millions that have already been bought by big businesses such as financial, technology, medical, government, and others don't seem to think they HAVE to jailbreak them to get the functionality they require. Are you guys so sophisticated that your needs are so far above those?



    I jailbroke my old 3G phone. I do not see what the fuss is all about. It was so sluggish it was unusable, it crashed so often it was unusable. It had to be rebooted more often in a week then the entire 2 years of owning it with it unjaibroken. And for what free apps, wallpapers and "freedom".. I have an Iphone 4 so it certainly leaned the observation of the performance. I even tried to run all the great emulators out there. and none of them run properly, if it all.



    I did this because I have heard for years how great a jailbroken phone is. I figured this was a bunch of troll speak. I would imagine jailbreaking a newer iphone would probably yield better results. I do not see what all the trouble is worth. I see no performance advantages, only advantages is to get free apps and perhaps infect your phone with the someone's malware or worse.



    I even changed passwords for security and looked up all "great" cydia apps. If you are thinking of jailbreaking your iPhone for some thing you think your iPhone is lacking, you are not missing nothing, other than a degraded experience.
  • Reply 30 of 107
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 31,463member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SHOBIZ View Post


    Yes you can, however you are still at the users mercy to agree to install the profile. Again that may not be an issue for some, but some companies like to know that a configuration is set regardless of whether the users desires to follow instructions or not. We all know users always do what they are told and follow instructions right



    One of the projects I was involved in was for about xxxxx (We'll just say thousands) of iPads and one of the requirements was that the device worked out of the box for the users so we could not leave it up to the user to apply the configuration. The config including all apps, settings backgrounds and activation had to already be completed. All of this with ZERO additional infrastructure such as a MDM.



    So you don't allow it on the network if the user doesn't comply. This isn't any different than it is for phones and laptops.
  • Reply 31 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post


    As you should know, it's been some time since Apple made available the ability for corporations to distribute their own software to employees internally, without going through iTunes. I can't give details on this as I'm retired, and no longer have to think about it. But if you go to Apple's site, you will find the info there.



    Eh, That is called an enterprise app for internal use and not even the issue. Those are easy.



    Now, take a app store app and deploy it to thousands of devices without each user having to have an iTunes account.
  • Reply 32 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post


    So you don't allow it on the network if the user doesn't comply. This isn't any different than it is for phones and laptops.



    It's not that black and white. How are you going to control that? With a bunch of words in a policy?

    This stuff is real easy to say just go do this, but when you actually go apply it this is not that simple.
  • Reply 33 of 107
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 31,463member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by crift2012 View Post


    I jailbroke my old 3G phone. I do not see what the fuss is all about. It was so sluggish it was unusable, it crashed so often it was unusable. It had to be rebooted more often in a week then the entire 2 years of owning it with it unjaibroken. And for what free apps, wallpapers and "freedom".. I have an Iphone 4 so it certainly leaned the observation of the performance. I even tried to run all the great emulators out there. and none of them run properly, if it all.



    I did this because I have heard for years how great a jailbroken phone is. I figured this was a bunch of troll speak. I would imagine jailbreaking a newer iphone would probably yield better results. I do not see what all the trouble is worth. I see no performance advantages, only advantages is to get free apps and perhaps infect your phone with the someone's malware or worse.



    I even changed passwords for security and looked up all "great" cydia apps. If you are thinking of jailbreaking your iPhone for some thing you think your iPhone is lacking, you are not missing nothing, other than a degraded experience.



    The truth is that most people who jailbreak their phones, according to several studies, are doing so to use some bit of software that very few people want or need, break their cell phone contract to tether, because they're too cheap to pay for it, and to pirate software.



    If you're not in one of those categories, then you don't need to jailbreak your phone.
  • Reply 34 of 107
    "Caris & Co. analyst Robert Cihra..."



    So that's what happened to that cow! She went and started her own analyst company!
  • Reply 35 of 107
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 31,463member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SHOBIZ View Post


    Eh, That is called an enterprise app for internal use and not even the issue. Those are easy.



    Now, take a app store app and deploy it to thousands of devices without each user having to have an iTunes account.



    From what I've been told, that can be done in some way. I asked that of one of the management software companies at a trade show last year, and he said it wasn't a problem. How it's done, I can't say. But since there are numerous companies offering enterprise software management tools for iOS, it's being done. Call one of those companies, or Unisys, as they're an Apple VAR for this. They will know.
  • Reply 36 of 107
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 31,463member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SHOBIZ View Post


    It's not that black and white. How are you going to control that? With a bunch of words in a policy?

    This stuff is real easy to say just go do this, but when you actually go apply it this is not that simple.



    Nothing is "simple". Is it doable? Of course! I remember when these very questions were being bandied about when laptops finally became useful. No one could figure out how to do what you're wanting. But they did figure it out. The same thing with smartphones. But, amazingly enough, that was solved as well. This isn't much different. Major companies have figured this out, I'm sure you can as well. Give one of the big banks a call, they're all using thousands.
  • Reply 37 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by storneo View Post


    There are many Android tablets on the market! So why aren't they successful in enterprise adoption?



    http://www.jkkmobile.com/2010/09/top...d-tablets.html



    The goalposts haven't been moved far enough.
  • Reply 38 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post


    From what I've been told, that can be done in some way. I asked that of one of the management software companies at a trade show last year, and he said it wasn't a problem. How it's done, I can't say. But since there are numerous companies offering enterprise software management tools for iOS, it's being done. Call one of those companies, or Unisys, as they're an Apple VAR for this. They will know.



    I hear you, but so far the MDM's such as MobileIron just allow you to basically say these apps are approved. Then there is Boxtone which doesn't meet our needs at all. So we have talked to numerous developers. They are not facilitating the deployment of the non enterprise apps to the devices in an automated manner. I've had numerous calls with Apple and vendors. Simply put they can't, anything done today to try to distribute app store apps would be a violation of Apples agreements. What MDM's are great for TODAY is managing the settings.
  • Reply 39 of 107
    "It's just a toy."

    "It's just a toy."

    "It's just a toy."

    "It's just a toy."

    "It's just a toy."...
  • Reply 40 of 107
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jivemaster View Post


    It's a shame the practicality isn't there as far as openness is concerned.



    People have to move on from this 'openness' religion (which is all it is.)

    The wild west was 'open'. Only a hand full of technology cultist give a rat's behind about open. 'Curated' will win hands down. Hobbiests will always have their open device to play with. People who need to get things done will chose a more managed and stable environment.
Sign In or Register to comment.