Apple may surprise with near immediate availability of iPad 2 next week

Comments

• Reply 61 of 124
    Does anyone here honestly believe ascii isn't using the term 'toy' in the most perjprative way possible?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Mmmm... either you or your employer are on the wrong page...

IBM Supports Enterprise iPad Adoption with Lotus Notes Traveler for iPad

http://www.readwriteweb.com/enterpri...r-for-ipad.php

I've used Lotus Notes so I can understand how someone being forced to use it on the iPad could very the experience as not fit for business.
  • Reply 62 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Thank you. I wonder how many people here who insist the iPad is a professional tool have actually tried to get work done on one. I grant there could be a few niches (such as education) but to call it a professional tool *in general* would be grossly misleading. In general it's a media consumption/light gaming device (which to any serious person means a toy).

http://www.networkworld.com/news/201...nterprise.html
  • Reply 63 of 124
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

While I love my iPad make no mistake its a toy.

I disagree. The iPad is whatever you make of it, and some people are using them in very innovative ways. For my particular area of interest, which happens to be music, the iPad has been nothing short of revolutionary, with many cool apps which aid in music production and using the iPad as an external control device.

The fact that the iPad is a real easy to use, wireless, multitouch tablet opens up many new possibilities which simply weren't possible before.
  • Reply 64 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Logisticaldron View Post

Does anyone here honestly believe ascii isn't using the term 'toy' in the most perjprative way possible?

I've used Lotus Notes so I can understand how someone being forced to use it on the iPad could very the experience as not fit for business.

Actually, when I worked for IBM, I worked for the man who later was responsible for the aquisition of Lotus and the incorporation of Lotus software into the IBM offerings.

I had left IBM (to start some personal computer stores) but years later this friend came to visit.

Our conversation led to personal computers -- I had Macs.

I booted my Mac, ran some Mac Excel spread sheets, Mac Word docs, etc, -- then printed them on my LaserWriter..

His IBM ThinkPad never even finished booting after 5 minutes..

...so. maybe usability is a function of the software (OS) --and not so much the device.

I saw a prerelease of Lotus 1/2/3 when Mitch first wrote it -- it was OK, but inferior to the MS offerings of Excel and Word.

Never bothered to investigate Lotus Notes -- But IBM seemed to think it was/is an important offering.

One final note (pun) -- I worked for IBM for 16.5 years (DP Division) and am quite familiar with their approach to software UIs -- bulletproof trumps usability every time!
  • Reply 65 of 124
    Quote:

Thank you. I wonder how many people here who insist the iPad is a professional tool have actually tried to get work done on one. I grant there could be a few niches (such as education) but to call it a professional tool *in general* would be grossly misleading. In general it's a media consumption/light gaming device (which to any serious person means a toy).

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

And this one:

http://ipadpilots.k12cloudlearning.com/
  • Reply 66 of 124
    Quote:

I have an iPad, I work for IBM. While I love my iPad make no mistake its a toy. Ther isn't any critical work I do at my job that can be done on my iPad. There is nothing wrong with a product being for pleasure.

I don't mean to pick on you -- but I was employed by IBM for 16.5 years in various capacities (headquarters, and field) in the Data Processing Division (market, sell and support computers -- mostly mainframe some minis).

I can think of hundreds or thousands of things I could have used an iPad for.

What is your job at IBM? Do you deal with customers?

Seriously, I'd really like to know why you have no use for an always available, instant-on information appliance.

Do you have a schedule, contacts, appointments, keep a calendar, make to do lists, access your work computer network, send/receive mail, write letters...
  • Reply 67 of 124
    I love the "iPad is a toy" debate.

There are certain professions that the iPad works wonders for; others that it can't do much for. Such is life. One example where the iPad shines: teaching English in a foreign country.

It is entirely possible for a teacher to create classroom materials, presentations and handouts almost exclusively on the iPad. Photos and videos can be brought in from an iPhone, but the rest can be done on the iPad. In class, the iPad can be used to present material as is, attached to a TV or with external speakers attached. The teacher can also maintain his schedule and communicate with students via email all from the iPad. Materials created in Pages can be sent as PDFs to students. Students can mark them up on their own iPads and send the back. Drawings can be made in the various panting apps; animations, too. Teachers can even keep records about their students, yep, right on the iPad.

This is being done right now, and it is much easier than lugging a laptop around, even an 11" MBA. There is no way you can work on a laptop on a train during rush hour in some places.

The iPad can be extremely creative, in creative hands. It is certainly not just a toy.
  • Reply 68 of 124
    For all those that are merely expecting a small update to IPAD2 be prepared for a surprise as Apple is known for. Just adding 2 cameras and a faster CPU wouldn't really do the trick. I have a feeling that we're in for an unexpected surprise. ( I certainly hope so)
  • Reply 69 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BUSHMAN4 View Post

For all those that are merely expecting a small update to IPAD2 be prepared for a surprise as Apple is known for. Just adding 2 cameras and a faster CPU wouldn't really do the trick. I have a feeling that we're in for an unexpected surprise. ( I certainly hope so)

Lots of people will be extremely disappointed anyways. Even if they lowered the price to $10 with a free 5-year 3G plan with free international roaming. And 5 USB ports and a 600-hour battery. And cut the weight by 90%. And...
  • Reply 70 of 124
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

And this one:

http://ipadpilots.k12cloudlearning.com/

In the first link the lady uses her iPad to play sales videos, visit sales websites and read work emails. She also uses it "for personal banking, e-mail and to look up flights while traveling, and to read magazines." Not exactly heavyweight stuff. And she complains about the absense of Flash. I actually think a Macbook Air would be better for her.

The second link is a bunch of corporate trials. Like anyone I am interested to see how they turn out, but they're just trials for now. If we look at something more concrete than trials, such as the current iPad top paid apps list we see 6 of the top 10 are games, including all of the top 3. On the unpaid list 8 are games, 1 is entertainment, 1 is social networking.

Look, I have an iPad and I'm not saying it's sh*t. I'm just saying it is what it is, and if you stop imagining the possibilites for 1 second, and take a good look at what people are actually using it for, you might see my point of view.
  • Reply 71 of 124
    The US Army uses iPads:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/10813964

Doctors use iPads in OR rooms.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/0..._n_599200.html

Come on. How much more do you need? People are actually using it to teach, save lives, make money, learn languages. Once again, IN THE RIGHT HANDS, and yes, circumstances, the iPad is an amazingly productive device
  • Reply 72 of 124
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

Come on. How much more do you need? People are actually using it to teach, save lives, make money, learn languages. Once again, IN THE RIGHT HANDS, and yes, circumstances, the iPad is an amazingly productive device

And have you asked yourself why those things are in the news? Because they are exceptional (i.e. not the normal) uses maybe?
  • Reply 73 of 124
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:

Look, I have an iPad and I'm not saying it's sh*t. I'm just saying it is what it is, and if you stop imagining the possibilites for 1 second, and take a good look at what people are actually using it for, you might see my point of view.

And we're just saying that you have the capacity for out-of-the-box thinking of, oh, an IBM-er.
  • Reply 74 of 124
    I hope it arrives in stores in April/May because I really want the new MacBook Pro in March and I don't think I can afford both or decide on which first.
  • Reply 75 of 124
    Quote:

And have you asked yourself why those things are in the news? Because they are exceptional (i.e. not the normal) uses maybe?

Whatever.
  • Reply 76 of 124
    Quote:

Surprise! Your toy is ready early.

I don't know why they didn't change their name from Apple Computer Inc to Apple Toy Co, Inc.

All we're getting from October 2010 to October 2011 is:

New MacBook Airs

The App Store for Macs

2x faster MacBook Pros

A new Ultra-fast I/O

A new version of OS X

A complete revamp of Final Cut Pro

I wish Apple would just focus on their computers once in awhile! /sarcasm
  • Reply 77 of 124
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Some people just don't want to hear about successful uses for an iPad, business or not. The current iPad is far from perfect in this regards but that doesn't mean many industries haven't seen the light. At the same time I can see where some business would never find a use for iPad.

In any event I just object to the absolutes seen here. That is the claims that iPad or iPhone for that matter has no legitimate business use. It is sad that people can't see beyound their own situations.

What is even more surprising is the fast adoption this hardware has seen even as the software library grows slowly. It is pretty impressive to see iPad take off the way it has from introduction in the business community. It did so with a minimal amount of software at the start, that tells me the platform serves an untapped need for many businesses.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mzaslove View Post

I already pointed out how I get lots of work done, as do others on my shoots. It's all across the industry.

• Reply 78 of 124
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by boeyc15 View Post

Sorry I'm just reading this different, have to disagree about TB, ignoring the political gibberish that he added,

The comment wasn't so much about politics as it was the entitlement culture. Many people so disposed are Democrats thus the focus of the comment. I just find it hilarious that somebody would bring brand new technology to a venue and expect it to be supported. The mention of others doing the same thing just makes it funnier. Apparently not one of these guys could afford an Apple TV.

Quote:

his response to the original op didn't seem to jive. IMO light peak is more for highend uses and fast large file transfer(think hd movies)

I don't see it as a replacement for USB in the near term. In fact I'm perplexed my other threads in the forums where people see TB as a USB replacement. In any event for TB to be commercially accepted it has to find placement in a lot more devices than at the high end. The chip costs, both $$ and board space will keep TB out of the low end for sometime to come. In fact in the iPad I suspect Apple will need to implement the interface into the SoC before we see it.

Quote:

For everyday uses(the original ops issue), like making presentations, airplay, wifi etc is much preferred. Yes it's not every where... Yet. Wires is so 'computing' yesterday.

That may be the case and frankly I even acknowledged that as the case. It is pretty obvious if you are standing in front of a crowd no wires is better. However that is by no means an excuse to remove wired ports. Again we have this attitude of "I don't want it or need it so nobody else should need it". There are just to many cases where RF communications isn't the answer.
  • Reply 79 of 124
    Quote:

Grown ups create things, they don't spend all day consuming content and playing games. Since the iPad is primarily designed for the later, it is not for adults and therefore a toy.

Certainly at the big family get-together at Christmas, while the kids/teenagers were glued to their Touches and iPads, with the exception of one woman, all the other adults had laptops and BlackBerries.

Sounds like a rather dysfunctional bunch, all around. A big family get-together shouldn't feature family members splintered off in such a disheartening fashion, some "creating things" aka working and others isolating themselves from the rest of the group because they're too bored to spend time interacting with their clan.
  • Reply 80 of 124
    Quote:

Thunderbolt could very well turn out to be great or it could turn out to be the next firewire which has been dead for a while now. Its been dead to even Steve Jobs for a while now.

Firewire and Thunderbolt are quite different. Thunderbolt is not like Firewire in that you do not need to have a device designed solely for use with Thunderbolt to take advantage of it. Existing protocols are being used to attach devices to the Thunderbolt port.

Products designed for use with the technology will need to come to market to get the most use out of it but it will be relatively easy to work this technology into many consumers' systems.