Apple may surprise with near immediate availability of iPad 2 next week

Comments

• Reply 81 of 124
    So, near immediate availability eh?. Ought to make for an intresting Thursday for me (hopefully).
  • Reply 82 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Ooh la la.

We have a snob in our midst!

There are always douche bags like that talking sh**!

Real talk, Apple has created a paradigm shift in the tech world with the iapd. They even jeopardized their own business model by selling a device(ipad) that does away with all the bloat. I know the pc boys will continue to get burnt by these tablets. MS has to answer because like everyone else they are a public company. Fill in the blanks. Take your time, you'll be a while.
  • Reply 83 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Grown ups create things, they don't spend all day consuming content and playing games.

Tell that to all the bored call center workers out there who use their iPhones or Blackberries to go to Facebook because corporately they are blocked. Not every adult is a creater, nor is every child a gamer.

I would also bet that the largest consumer of casual gaming is in fact adults and not children.

Cheers,

A
  • Reply 84 of 124
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

I have an iPad, I work for IBM. While I love my iPad make no mistake its a toy. Ther isn't any critical work I do at my job that can be done on my iPad. There is nothing wrong with a product being for pleasure.

You've made some good posts in the past, but you missed the mark on this. You are a sample size of one. Why do you feel the need to name-drop your employer? To lend some exalted credibility to your comment? What kind of job do you have that you are unable to find at least one iPad application that would be an ideal alternative for improving your productivity?
  • Reply 85 of 124
    If I understand this article correctly there will be more AT&T units than Verizon units manufactured.

Just wondering why this is and why does apple thing that AT&T will be more popular.

Any idea how the pricing on the plan will compare, which one is better and will be the better purchase in the long run.
  • Reply 86 of 124
    My reading was that it would be for AT&T AND Europe - But could be wrong on that (wounnt be that unusual )
  • Reply 87 of 124
    veblenveblen Posts: 201member
    Quote:

Thank you. I wonder how many people here who insist the iPad is a professional tool have actually tried to get work done on one. I grant there could be a few niches (such as education) but to call it a professional tool *in general* would be grossly misleading. In general it's a media consumption/light gaming device (which to any serious person means a toy).

I'm a UNIX Administrator. I use my iPad at work and at home via a VPN connection to do the following.

- notes at meetings

- work email

- keep track of my work and update others via our web based ticketing system

- technical documentation repository

- access the internet for research of work related issues/tasks

- allocate disk storage for servers using the Hitachi Device Manager web interface for our Enterprise arrays.

- build out IBM server partition profiles using IBM's Harware Management Console Interface

- perform UNIX administration tasks using iSSH

- administer our Electronic Medical Records application using the Citrix Receiver application

- time management and to do lists

- technology related podcasts

- college courses via iTunes U

- dictionary/thesaurus

- calculator

For my personal life I also use it to

- trade stocks

- bank

- keep track of my family activities

- buy and sell items
  • Reply 88 of 124
    berpberp Posts: 136member
    Quote:

I have an iPad, I work for IBM. While I love my iPad make no mistake its a toy. Ther isn't any critical work I do at my job that can be done on my iPad. There is nothing wrong with a product being for pleasure.

There are two potential working relationships between the iPad and its user:

you either use it to its full potential and it rewards you with increased productivity (of which I bear witness),

or you make fun of it ...and the joke's mostly on you (on whom the pleasure seems to hold laughingly true)...!
  • Reply 89 of 124
    This would make sense. Last time, they announced in January, and released in April. They could afford to do it because no one else had any other tablets on sale, and the announcement didn't cannibalize any of Apple's other products.

This time around, there are some competing products, as well as cannibalization of Apple's iPad 1 sales. Even if there was a 1 month delay between announcement and availability, the quarterly financials will take a hit.
  • Reply 90 of 124
    xsuxsu Posts: 401member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by benalexe View Post

If I understand this article correctly there will be more AT&T units than Verizon units manufactured.

Just wondering why this is and why does apple thing that AT&T will be more popular.

Any idea how the pricing on the plan will compare, which one is better and will be the better purchase in the long run.

Not AT&T unit, it's GSM unit. And it's not Verizon units, but CDMA units.

There will be less CDMA units because CDMA is a much less prevalent technology compared to GSM.
  • Reply 91 of 124
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:

Grown ups create things, they don't spend all day consuming content and playing games. Since the iPad is primarily designed for the later, it is not for adults and therefore a toy.

Certainly at the big family get-together at Christmas, while the kids/teenagers were glued to their Touches and iPads, with the exception of one woman, all the other adults had laptops and BlackBerries.

ascii .. It should come as no surprise to you that I will label you as an anti-apple troll ... just a brief look at your previous postings is all that?s necessary to establish that fact .... hell, for all I know you may even be a ?professional troll? .... or not. It makes no difference. I?ll just make two points here:

One: The big problem with all AATs ..(anti-apple trolls) .. is that, in order to justify their existence on these boards, they feel it?s necessary to find the ?bad side? with every Apple story ..... and the sad truth, for them, is that in the vast majority of Apple stories ..... there just isn?t a bad side ... or at least not one that is major enough to warrant a rant or two. So what happens is, in their desire to find something, anything, bad to say, where none exists they wind up, as you so often do, saying something really dumb. If you waited until there was a ?real? problem in the story before you ?felt the need? to post something .... you would probably improve your perceived intelligence level immensely ..... but unfortunately, I doubt you will.

Two: While it might be appropriate for you or I to say that the majority of iPad owners use their device to play games .... that is a reflection of the owners, not the device itself. In our household there are two iMacs and 1 PC. Two of those, one iMac and the PC, are used almost exclusively for email, WoW, Facebook or reading newspapers and Appleinsider. Does that make them toys? ..... of course not, just that that is what we use them for. The ability of any of those computers far exceeds what we use them for. Please stop making the arrogant assumption that what applies to you .... also applies to the rest of us. It doesn't.
  • Reply 92 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by boeyc15 View Post

Sorry I'm just reading this different, have to disagree about TB, ignoring the political gibberish that he added, his response to the original op didn't seem to jive. IMO light peak is more for highend uses and fast large file transfer(think hd movies)

For everyday uses(the original ops issue), like making presentations, airplay, wifi etc is much preferred. Yes it's not every where... Yet. Wires is so 'computing' yesterday.

Not yet it's not.

If you only have a single machine, fine. But as soon as you have multiple computers on your network, use a home media server, or have a family where you're sharing lots of stuff, wireless is still way too damn slow. Ever try using your iPhoto library over WiFi? Ugh, it sucks. Want to move a couple gig of video clips or photos from your desktop to laptop? It's actually less painful to go find an ethernet cable, link the machines together, change their networks, transfer the files, then reverse the process. Otherwise you'll be sitting there waiting forever.

Maybe some day we can live totally wireless, but only if/when wireless speeds start outgrowing our data usage needs. And files just keep getting bigger and bigger, so I'm not optimistic in the near to mid-term.
  • Reply 93 of 124
    wovelwovel Posts: 956member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by boeyc15 View Post

Well, your response proved everyone elses... You're hilarious, keep posting, its a nice break from the serious posts.

It is pretty funny. It is hard to believe anyone is that willfully ignorant, even on the Internet.

Quote:

That may just be you or IBM, see below..

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I remember the late 1950s-1960s... Mainframe computers replaced legacy accounting machines. manual accounting systems.

I remember the late 1960s-1970s... Mini computers replaced legacy mainframe computers,

I remember the late 1970s-1980s... Personal computers replaced legacy mini computers,

I remember 2010-2011... iPads replaced legacy personal computers,

We still have legacy systems as vestiges of the past -- likely, we always will.

But the center of action has shifted -- the next several years belong to the iPad (and anything that can compete).

You can, resist, joke, demean them, call them toys... that's all happened before. by those with an investment in the status quo.

It ain't gonna' matter -- you can't harness the future -- only try to to keep pace...

Who amongst us doesn't know this -- Google, Sammy. Toshiba, Moto. RIM. MSFT, HP, LG. IBM, Adobe, Autodesk, Citrix...

Apple knows, & you and I know, too...

Children like you are why Ascii is so riled up.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Mmmm... either you or your employer are on the wrong page...

IBM Supports Enterprise iPad Adoption with Lotus Notes Traveler for iPad

http://www.readwriteweb.com/enterpri...r-for-ipad.php

Please don't confuse the conversation with facts.

Quote:

Thank you. I wonder how many people here who insist the iPad is a professional tool have actually tried to get work done on one. I grant there could be a few niches (such as education) but to call it a professional tool *in general* would be grossly misleading. In general it's a media consumption/light gaming device (which to any serious person means a toy).

I have. On that same flight from Singapore you ignored because it disproved your kid point, I wrote a proposal and SOW on my iPad. I emailed to the client as soon as we landed. The documents were never edited on any thing but the iPad.

The client did sign the SOW, and never asked if it was made on a toy..

Quote:

And have you asked yourself why those things are in the news? Because they are exceptional (i.e. not the normal) uses maybe?

Perhaps because the news editors know a lot of people are confused like you. The list of people doing real productive work on iPads is growing much faster than just what you see in the tech news.

I hate confusing trolls with the truth because it makes them mad, but what the heck.
  • Reply 94 of 124
    Quote:

Ahh.. a cartoon reference. Another guy proving my point.

I was trying to be nice. I thought about calling you an insufferable pinhead, but I didn't want to insult pinheads.
  • Reply 95 of 124
    Quote:

Certainly at the big family get-together at Christmas, while the kids/teenagers were glued to their Touches and iPads, with the exception of one woman, all the other adults had laptops and BlackBerries.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carmissimo View Post

Sounds like a rather dysfunctional bunch, all around. A big family get-together shouldn't feature family members splintered off in such a disheartening fashion, some "creating things" aka working and others isolating themselves from the rest of the group because they're too bored to spend time interacting with their clan.

No kidding. Show of hands: who would like to hang out with ascii's family next Christmas?

-crickets-

What the hell kind of a family gathering is it where everyone is glued to their computers (full-size or hand-size)? What a sad, sad family.
  • Reply 96 of 124
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    I have an iPad which I am typing on right now. ASCII and extreme like their iPads as toys, others have found some professional use for them. Most users are probably somewhere in between.

Some kids have eight core modded case win boxes capable billions of instructions yet use them only to play Warcraft. That would make it a toy.

Just because someone sees a device in a specific role doesn't mean that everyone else is using it wrong.
  • Reply 97 of 124
    Quote:

Grown ups create things, they don't spend all day consuming content and playing games. Since the iPad is primarily designed for the later, it is not for adults and therefore a toy.

Ambitious people tend to consume a great deal of information related to their field. I thought you were being sarcastic. It's an incredibly short-sighted outlook.
  • Reply 98 of 124
    Quote:

Look, I have an iPad and I'm not saying it's sh*t. I'm just saying it is what it is, and if you stop imagining the possibilites for 1 second, and take a good look at what people are actually using it for, you might see my point of view.

Well, I do see your point of view (it requires overgeneralizing and selective interpretation of facts to fit your prejudices)

But what does seeing your point of view have to do with the discussion? Is that what this is all about? You want Internet strangers to agree with you?

[Edit] My father used to say that personal computers were toys (his exact words); that real computers were IBM mainframes. Now he would disagree with his previous assessment. For what it's worth.
  • Reply 99 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xsu View Post

Not AT&T unit, it's GSM unit. And it's not Verizon units, but CDMA units.

There will be less CDMA units because CDMA is a much less prevalent technology compared to GSM.

So would it be better to get the GSM even though the service is not as good?
  • Reply 100 of 124
    Why so many 3G-capable units? Aren't they selling much much more Wifi-only ones?