Inside Mac OS X 10.7 Lion: New Dock, Finder & Desktop

Comments

• Reply 81 of 142
    stuffestuffe Posts: 394member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JakeTheRock View Post

But I stand by my original points: probably 90% of apps do not need to be full-screen on a Mac, ever. Apple should focus on adding features like Hyperdock's window-arranging features, or a multitude of other things that I can't think of right now, before adding a useless full-screen iCal, or a redundant Launchpad.

I work in the IT field at a big university. I help these people every day, and I know exactly how they use computers. I also know that very few people are willing to try to figure out how to do anything by themselves, and I never said anything to the contrary. People should learn how to use their computers though.

I think that whilst the majority of apps don't need it, the 10% that do need it need it to work well, consistently, quickly and easily for everyone. And please try not to put your own usage requirements forward as equal to everyones, I for one have 7 calendars including shared ones from friends/family and I use it *a lot*, when I "diary bash" every couple of months or so to set my schedule I need to see as much detail as possible to check when I can and can't arrange things, and a full screen calendar on a large screen is great. I've tried it on Lion, and I love it.

Also, you work with young students in a University. So that's a whole load of people who have likely grown up using computers, and who most likely need to use their computers more often, and for more complex tasks, than a lot of other people. If you think these people are bad at actually learning to use them properly, go see my Mum. These are the people who need the most help, and if adding stuff like full screen and gestures allows them to feel they can use the computer better, I am all for it. Unless they start taking away your keyboard and shortcuts, I can't see any issue.
  • Reply 82 of 142
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

Yes, lion is under NDA until it ships. But these things don't stop sites like appleinsider spreading content from lion all over the site. Maybe it's time appleinsider went the way of thinksecret?

The NDA is just a form of legal "insurance" such that if they really wanted they could get legal on someone's ass. The fact that any complete stranger can lay down £60 like I did yesterday and join the developer program *purely for the purpose of playing with Lion* suggests that keeping things a secret isn't the primary motive here...
  • Reply 83 of 142
    Resume, Versions, and Autosave - I can wait to use those features!
  • Reply 84 of 142
    So i take it, Lion Is yet again just another service pack like snow leopard, Just hope it costs the same?
  • Reply 85 of 142
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Archos View Post

Firefox doesn't support HTML5 video using H.264. So scrape up some money and buy a real browser and leave free software to people who just play Tux Racer.

Thanks, I see. I have used Firefox for as long as I can remember, still do on my Windows PC and now on my Mac. I think Firefox is great - nice UI, and has lots of free add-ons, such as those that can block those annoying animated ads. Looks like I'll have to switch back and forth between Safari (on my Mac) / Internet Explorer (on my PC) and Firefox (on both) from now on.\
  • Reply 86 of 142
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cybermonke View Post

So i take it, Lion Is yet again just another service pack like snow leopard, Just hope it costs the same?

Well, that's one view, perhaps you would like to let us know how you reached that conclusion?
  • Reply 87 of 142
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stuffe View Post

Well, that's one view, perhaps you would like to let us know how you reached that conclusion?

Well, seeing as nobody answered my first post and enlightened me as to what groundbreaking new features this has over previous version's, I take it it's just whats being discussed here IE:UI tweaks, which is all they are, and timemachine being used for tracking changes to documents.

So if you can give me a damn could reason why i should spend money to upgrade to lion and not stay on snow leopard untill lion is succeeded, Then please enlighten me as to what makes lion stand out and so different from snow leopard.
  • Reply 88 of 142
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mister Snitch View Post

One thing this means is that all new Macs will ship with some sort of trackpad/mouse, like the laptops have. Apple's committing big to gestures now, it's officially part of the user interface.

You really believe that? This is Apple...the company that charges for iPod Touch OS updates, wifi upgrades, and facetime software ... all of which should come with OSX/iOS.

No doubt Apple will SELL the magic trackpad, but I seriously doubt they will include it with a desktop.
  • Reply 89 of 142
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iPedro View Post

Have fun in 1985 cowboy.

Didn't we have full-screen apps in 1985???
  • Reply 90 of 142
    double post
  • Reply 91 of 142
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JakeTheRock View Post

People should learn how to use their computers though.

Is that what Apple is supposed to say internally, and just forget about UI innovation?

This what the idiots at Microsoft said, and now they have millions upon millions who never go past 3 icons on the desktop.
  • Reply 92 of 142
    Quote:

I will be glad to pay for these operating system features:
    1. Inclusion of OS X Server tools.

2. Recompiled kernel for faster execution

3. Auto-save & versioning built in at the OS level

4. Faster & more secure use of solid state drives

5. Full disk encryption

They won't interest most users. So I don't begrudge Apple adding UI sugar and refinements to make the "lambs" rush to upgrade to Lion as well. Some of the most egregious UI metaphors look like they'll be cleaned up too, so I can appreciate the tweaks and changes coming to the user interface.
  • Reply 93 of 142
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iDave View Post

I agree but would have said it differently. I don't want an iPhone, I want a Mac.

That couldn't possibly be less relevant to reality, but whatever. No one cares.

Lion is positively the best thing to happen to OSX since Tiger and it will change the usability landscape.

I don't care how many of you geeks can control your whole Mac from 10 buttons on the keyboard, that's dumb! I can do that too, but id rather use a magic trackpad all day because its fun! Have a little fun with the frigging machine for once!

What I love about the back to the Mac from iOS concept is that millions of people who never got past the dock or desktop, who now have iPhones and iPads, will be using their Macs, in the future, in fearless ways, they never did before.
  • Reply 94 of 142
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lamewing View Post

Didn't we have full-screen apps in 1985???

We had auto-resume, but except for a few that didn't follow the user interface guidelines, full screen apps didn't hide the menu bar.
  • Reply 95 of 142
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macnoid View Post

I will be glad to pay for these operating system features:
    1. Inclusion of OS X Server tools.

2. Recompiled kernel for faster execution

3. Auto-save & versioning built in at the OS level

4. Faster & more secure use of solid state drives

5. Full disk encryption

They won't interest most users. So I don't begrudge Apple adding UI sugar and refinements to make the "lambs" rush to upgrade to Lion as well. Some of the most egregious UI metaphors look like they'll be cleaned up too, so I can appreciate the tweaks and changes coming to the user interface.

Hi thanks for that breakdown, 2-5 scream service pack 3, the server tools could of been a free or' $5 for yer time for appleising opensource seperate piece of software' for those that want em.

I know OS X is ahead of the game, But really come on this is nothing to get excited about, Unless there's something that hasnt been revealed yet.
  • Reply 96 of 142
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

That couldn't possibly be less relevant to reality, but whatever. No one cares.

Lion is positively the best thing to happen to OSX since Tiger and it will change the usability landscape.

I don't care how many of you geeks can control your whole Mac from 10 buttons on the keyboard, that's dumb! I can do that too, but id rather use a magic trackpad all day because its fun! Have a little fun with the frigging machine for once!

What I love about the back to the Mac from iOS concept is that millions of people who never got past the dock or desktop, who now have iPhones and iPads, will be using their Macs, in the future, in fearless ways, they never did before.

To actually have fun on a Mac for those types is to see how many commands they can execute on the keyboard with just their thumb and pinky while not looking.
  • Reply 97 of 142
    zephzeph Posts: 133member
    I'm gonna miss the old-style Dashboard. works just fine with the old Mighty Mouse. Click the 3rd button and it's there. Click again and it's gone.

Same with Expose. Click the 4th or 5th button et voila. Click on the window you want and you're done. Could not be simpler. Those are the main reasons I didn't get a Magic Mouse.

Oh well, guess I'm gonna have to catch up or be left behind. \
  • Reply 98 of 142
    Quote:

Hi thanks for that breakdown, 2-5 scream service pack 3, the server tools could of been a free or' $5 for yer time for appleising opensource seperate piece of software' for those that want em.

I know OS X is ahead of the game, But really come on this is nothing to get excited about, Unless there's something that hasnt been revealed yet.

I like cheap (or free) as much as anyone, but it's silly to claim that OS level versioning and full disk encryption are trivial.
  • Reply 99 of 142
    Quote:

I'm gonna miss the old-style Dashboard. works just fine with the old Mighty Mouse. Click the 3rd button and it's there. Click again and it's gone.

Same with Expose. Click the 4th or 5th button et voila. Click on the window you want and you're done. Could not be simpler. It is the main reason I haven't gotten a Magic Mouse yet.

Oh well, guess I'm gonna have to catch up or be left behind.

Should check out the magic track pad. It can do expose with a 4 finger swipe up or down and does the alt-tab equivalent with 4 finger swipe left or right. Sorry though as far as I know it doesnt do dashboard, but I never use it so dont know if it can be set to make it appear/disappear.
  • Reply 100 of 142
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rivertrip View Post

I like cheap (or free) as much as anyone, but it's silly to claim that OS level versioning and full disk encryption are trivial.

I agree, but then i wouldnt tout them as an amazing new feature when linux and other unix users have had this pleasure for some years.